Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Spacebump posted:

Did you watch modern Doctor Who episodes or classic Who? (I prefer modern Doctor Who.)

Who cares?

:downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Occupation posted:

People really underestimate the cultural and memetic penetration the GI joe cartoon has had

* in the US

But you're probably right. S4 being irredeemably mediocre must've damaged my optimism glands.

Spacebump posted:

Did you watch modern Doctor Who episodes or classic Who? (I prefer modern Doctor Who.)

Well he said it was the absolute worst bullshit so probably the modern one :v:

Krowley fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 1, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Occupation posted:

People really underestimate the cultural and memetic penetration the GI joe cartoon has had. I've never seen an episode and know the theme, the federal council for children's safety, that cobra had his cobra crew or whatever they were called, everyone had a ridiculous code name that was usually based off either their physical appearance or whatever their unique ability was, that knowing is half of the battle, that cobra always had ridiculously convoluted plans to both conquer the world and destroy the joes, and that everyone fought with lasers because you couldn't show guns in a kids cartoon. Also that nobody ever died but they kept on expanding how many joes were in the show and joes would "die" by falling off of cliffs or being sent back in time or whatever so they would have a regular rotation of new toys

I mean how many of you have seen an episode? Not many I would bet and while you were reading my post I best most to all of you were nodding in agreement having already knew all of that.

I knew that there existed a group named Cobra and a commander of the group named Cobra Commander. I am 21.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm 26 and literally the only thing I know about the original GI Joe is the FenslerFilm redubs of the GI Joe PSAs that the Community episode has almost no chance of surpassing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Spacebump posted:

Probably a little younger than 35. G.I. Joe had new episodes until 1992.

I saw the first four episodes of the eccleston doctor which everyone told me to start with

I saw that episode where the last human was like a tarp with maybe te worst greenscreened cgi I've ever seen of a human face and also the acting and dialog and god gently caress the narrative contrivances the loving sonic loving screwdriver magically solves and the godawful blatantly obvious dialog "who are you" "I'm the doctor" "I don't know if i should trust you!" Ughhhhhhhh

Also if you tell me to watch the doctor dances or whatever the gently caress is your "best episode" I am going to gleefully ignore you because gently caress that show, I hate genre television in general so don't even waste your breath

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Occupation posted:

I saw the first four episodes of the eccleston doctor which everyone told me to start with

That was a stupid recommendation. Eccleston's episodes are the trashiest of trashy British television. Depending on the person, I'd recommend Vincent and the Doctor or The Impossible Astronaut for first timers.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Irish Joe posted:

That was a stupid recommendation. Eccleston's episodes are the trashiest of trashy British television. Depending on the person, I'd recommend Vincent and the Doctor or The Impossible Astronaut for first timers.

Or maybe he just doesn't like Doctor Who because it's not for him.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Irish Joe posted:

You're the worst.

The first four of the new series are a good gauge of how much kitsch you want in a TV show. If you didn't find any of it interesting, Doctor Who is probably not for you.

Back on track, I wonder what Buzz will look like on Thursday night's episode. And Chang??

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Irish Joe posted:

Ahahah wow your opinions are poo poo. I mean Vincent's pretty good and all that but jeez.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

Ahahah wow your opinions are poo poo. I mean Vincent's pretty good and all that but jeez.

Yes, my opinions are poo poo because I don't recommend the episode with BURPING GARBAGE ALIENS.

Who fans are the worst.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When I was a kid, there was tons of 70s kid nostalgia because the people who were in the generation before me who grew up on that were now in positions to make stuff, and it was very much "Wtf is this poo poo?" It was the cartoons you saw on Sunday mornings.

Now people my age are making stuff and they fill it with stuff from our childhoods. When the people who grew up in the 90s get to this stage, it will be nothing but Pokemon, Dragonball and Power Rangers references. Now that is going to be poo poo.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Like any show, there are lovely episodes. There are also great episodes. There are more good episodes than lovely with Who. But yes, some of the fans are obnoxious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GreenNight posted:

Like any show, there are lovely episodes. There are also great episodes. There are more good episodes than lovely with Who. But yes, some of the fans are obnoxious.

I really try to keep my Dr Who love to myself and very small group of people. Even many Goons make it unbearable. I'd say the only fandom that has Who fans beat in general terribleness is Firefire fans. Well, excluding Bronies and Helita fans.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

When I was a kid, there was tons of 70s kid nostalgia because the people who were in the generation before me who grew up on that were now in positions to make stuff, and it was very much "Wtf is this poo poo?" It was the cartoons you saw on Sunday mornings.

Now people my age are making stuff and they fill it with stuff from our childhoods. When the people who grew up in the 90s get to this stage, it will be nothing but Pokemon, Dragonball and Power Rangers references. Now that is going to be poo poo.

The 90s pretty much pioneered pitch-perfect ironic parodies/homages of existing IPs (see: The Addams Family 1991, the Brady Bunch Movie, I'll count Josie and the Pussycats since the 90s didn't actually end until 9/11) so the 90s revival is going to own.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Irish Joe posted:

The Impossible Astronaut is a horrible starting episode because it's one of the worst offenders of the show's head being firmly up it's own rear end in regards to continuity. New viewers are going to be nothing but confused by it.

IF you want to watch Doctor Who, I'd suggest The Eleventh Hour since it was the starting point for a new Doctor, new companion, new story arc, and new showrunner. But if you don't, whatever.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Irish Joe posted:

Yes, my opinions are poo poo because I don't recommend the episode with BURPING GARBAGE ALIENS.

Who fans are the worst.

I really like The Impossible Astronaut, but it's not very new viewer friendly.

You recommended a story that doesn't have a proper ending because it's intended to start a season's worth of stories. That season's worth of stories is widely uneven and a terrible place to start a new fan, since if they did pick up the rest of season six based on that two parter, they will still be stuck sitting through episodes that might turn them off to the show entirely.

Vincent and the Doctor is a fine enough recommendation, though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Impossible Astronaut has a cool sci-fi premise, introduces a ton of interesting hooks, and is an all-around fun episode. Also, the first half of season 6 is pretty solid (the only exceptions being The Black Spot and parts of A Good Man Goes to War).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Irish Joe posted:

Who fans are the worst.

The first four episodes also include the farting aliens and the aforementioned talking skin.

e: Who is basically like Star Trek where there's about a 20:80 signal:noise ratio.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Irish Joe posted:

The Impossible Astronaut has a cool sci-fi premise, introduces a ton of interesting hooks, and is an all-around fun episode. Also, the first half of season 6 is pretty solid (the only exceptions being The Black Spot and parts of A Good Man Goes to War).

I'm a big fan of the first half of season 6, but finding out who the Impossible Astronaut is involves watching Let's Kill Hitler. I really doubt you'd recommend that to anyone.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

The Action Man posted:

I'm a big fan of the first half of season 6, but finding out who the Impossible Astronaut is involves watching Let's Kill Hitler. I really doubt you'd recommend that to anyone.

Well maybe if someone is in a Saw-esque situation..

Hello Guy A. Person, I want to play a game. For years you have wasted peoples' lives making bad television recommendations. Now you will have a chance to redeem yourself, for the recommendations you've made to others, by watching one of mine. Inside the device in front of you are two DVDs for the TV in front of you. One is my gift to you for helping me kidnap the others, the second is for you to donate. However, one is Let's Kill Hitler. Remember Guy A. Person, once you're in Hell, only the devil can help you out.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

twistedmentat posted:

I really try to keep my Dr Who love to myself and very small group of people. Even many Goons make it unbearable. I'd say the only fandom that has Who fans beat in general terribleness is Firefire fans. Well, excluding Bronies and Helita fans.

Supernatural fans are the worst loving things. That's a show that I keep to myself.

E: Doctor Who is good, mindless sci fi, popcorn entertainment to watch hung-over or sick or something with some pizza.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

^^ I admit that I watch Supernatural, and yeah...its fans are the worst humans. I don't like to admit I watch it, either, because I don't want to be conflated with psychopaths who mail death threats to strangers because of a TV show. ^^

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The 90s pretty much pioneered pitch-perfect ironic parodies/homages of existing IPs (see: The Addams Family 1991, the Brady Bunch Movie, I'll count Josie and the Pussycats since the 90s didn't actually end until 9/11) so the 90s revival is going to own.

The 90's was also a decade of mass-popular auteur feature films that experimented with style and form, which in turn initiated the careers of many of our biggest directors now (Fincher, Nolan, Singer, Aronofsky, Tarantino, etc.) So, a 90's revival that brought back 90's-style nonlinear storytelling, or stories built around unreliable narrators, or stories with really overt and abrupt editing or extremely grungy aesthetic treatments....yeah, I'd be into that.

Really, the 90's / pre-2001 feature industry (represented by pseudo-indie distributors like Miramax or early run Focus Features, etc.) is more similar in my mind to 70's New Hollywood, where something like Seven or Usual Suspects worked on kind of a similar level to Taxi Driver or Chinatown. That's barely a presence in popular features anymore. I'd be thrilled to see that happen again.

(Now that's happening on TV, I argue. HBO, AMC, and Netflix are the vehicle for that kind of auteur content, now.)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Xealot posted:

^^ I admit that I watch Supernatural, and yeah...its fans are the worst humans. I don't like to admit I watch it, either, because I don't want to be conflated with psychopaths who mail death threats to strangers because of a TV show. ^^

"Let me tell you about this incest fanfic I'm writing"

-A thing a human being on earth once told me face to face.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Austrian mook posted:

"Let me tell you about this incest fanfic I'm writing"

-A thing a human being on earth once told me face to face.

To be fair, you'd get that with the Harry Potter fandom too.

And the Pokemon one.

And the Sherlock one.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

computer parts posted:

To be fair, you'd get that with the Harry Potter fandom too.

And the Pokemon one.

And the Sherlock one.

What is it with teenage girls and incest, it's loving weird as poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Austrian mook posted:

What is it with teenage girls and incest, it's loving weird as poo poo.

My girlfriend's roommate tries to get her to watch yaoi (basically gay anime) all the time too, and they're in their 20s.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If every show is judged by its worst fans, then nothing is any good.

Nothing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

LividLiquid posted:

If every show is judged by its worst fans, then nothing is any good.

Nothing.

This is pretty much the truth. The internet brings the worst fans together and gives them a voice. Ignore it and them and you'll enjoy the shows quite a bit more.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xealot posted:

The 90's was also a decade of mass-popular auteur feature films that experimented with style and form, which in turn initiated the careers of many of our biggest directors now (Fincher, Nolan, Singer, Aronofsky, Tarantino, etc.) So, a 90's revival that brought back 90's-style nonlinear storytelling, or stories built around unreliable narrators, or stories with really overt and abrupt editing or extremely grungy aesthetic treatments....yeah, I'd be into that.

You do know i'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the stuff marketed at kids like GI joe was marketed to kids in the 80s. A guy who's 37 in 2025 that's running a sitcom where he's slipping in references to his childhood is not going to making Pulp Fiction or The Game references.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

twistedmentat posted:

You do know i'm not talking about that, I'm talking about the stuff marketed at kids like GI joe was marketed to kids in the 80s. A guy who's 37 in 2025 that's running a sitcom where he's slipping in references to his childhood is not going to making Pulp Fiction or The Game references.

Oh, no, I get what you mean. People recalling things like Animaniacs and Rugrats, or Power Rangers and Dragonball Z and such.

Sorry, what I meant to say was, I hope that people who were a little older at that time, who experienced the kind of cinema I referenced as teenagers in the 90's / early-2000's (who'd be ~30 now) are similarly inspired by this period to revisit 90's cinematic conventions. So, like, if by 2020 you have people in head writer and directorial positions referencing Amores Perros or Pi or Abre Los Ojos or whatever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xealot posted:

Oh, no, I get what you mean. People recalling things like Animaniacs and Rugrats, or Power Rangers and Dragonball Z and such.

Sorry, what I meant to say was, I hope that people who were a little older at that time, who experienced the kind of cinema I referenced as teenagers in the 90's / early-2000's (who'd be ~30 now) are similarly inspired by this period to revisit 90's cinematic conventions. So, like, if by 2020 you have people in head writer and directorial positions referencing Amores Perros or Pi or Abre Los Ojos or whatever.

Okay cool, because yea, that will be really awesome to see people who saw those films start to make stuff. Hopefully they won't get swallowed up by the hollywood machine.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Irish Joe posted:

Who fans are the worst.

Something they have in common with Community fans it seems.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Occupation posted:

I mean how many of you have seen an episode? Not many I would bet and while you were reading my post I best most to all of you were nodding in agreement having already knew all of that

I've seen the movie AND I know that Duke is going to be A-Ok!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm glad that we're starting to get past transformers and GI Joe stuff, and on to Ninja Turtles. I'm really looking forward to the gritty Captain Planet reboot that must be coming eventually.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A gritty reboot of Cap'n N: The Game Master would be better. Or that one cartoon where the guy turns into a car when hot things get spilled on him.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Spacebump posted:

Probably a little younger than 35. G.I. Joe had new episodes until 1992.
I'm 31 and I can definitely remember scenes from episodes that I saw on TV, including the movie re-cut into ~20-minute chunks for TV broadcast.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah born in 84 and I used to watch the animated movie all the time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was born in 77 so all this stuff is directed at me. I bought most of the GI Joe boxed sets, and they hold up fairly well, for a show made to sell toys in the 80s.

The movies opening is just amazing though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL1q9JPpNes

Better than having some hair metal band singing the theme :colbert:

Without Gi Joe we'd have no Shore Leave, and that would make every ones lives less full.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm glad that we're starting to get past transformers and GI Joe stuff, and on to Ninja Turtles. I'm really looking forward to the gritty Captain Planet reboot that must be coming eventually.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5876f2aced/don-cheadle-is-captain-planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
When they remake Captain Planet, Hitler better keep the Fu Manchu.

• Locked thread