Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polluxx Troy
Mar 12, 2005

...authorities here are on alert...

BANME.sh posted:

Yup.

Neil Young was an embarrassment in the Sound City documentary, as well. Going on about how digital audio has been flawed from the ground up, and that the engineers who originally designed the analog to digital process made a mistake. He came off as an old man completely out of his element.

My favorite part of the Toblerone FLAC Player videos was when Neil took Eddie into some 1972 Buick DELTA88 or whatever with lovely cracked foam speakers and ran a a track off an iPad into the Pioneer head unit (through an analog cable no less) and Eddie comes out saying, "That really takes me back."

Since when did Neil Young become such an expert on sound quality? Certainly doesn't pass the sniff test with antics like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Neil Young probably has hearing loss after playing big live shows for so long. Even if there was a difference he wouldn't be able to hear it with his way-below average hearing thanks to age and probably not wearing earplugs onstage.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Another year, another missed release date for Strobelight.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://vimeo.com/89662554

edit: Ugh, those pants

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 1, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It looks like he's wearing sweatpants that are like 3 sizes too big but only in the crotch area. What in the hell.

Song sounds great, though. Can't wait to watch the whole show on Saturday!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I like the synth riff from "Sunspots" coming in at the end.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

I like the synth riff from "Sunspots" coming in at the end.

Good catch and what a great performance. I never liked Sanctified but the new version is up there now amongst my favorite NIN songs.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I cannot overstate how awesome it is to have Pino performing live. He makes that bassline sound so sexy.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

sleepwalkers posted:

I cannot overstate how awesome it is to have Pino performing live. He makes that bassline sound so sexy.

The best part was live bass on March of the Pigs and Head Like A Hole. Magic.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

god that new bass line is so groovy, I still think the best addition is the back up singers though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Is it weird to want an EP of songs redone in the studio with Pino? Man he's such a great addition.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

John Cena posted:

Is it weird to want an EP of songs redone in the studio with Pino? Man he's such a great addition.
Not at all. I wish he had become a permanent member of the band :smith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Haha wow OP-1 spotted. See they aren't just toys they're real instruments man.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

LordPants posted:

Haha wow OP-1 spotted. See they aren't just toys they're real instruments man.

Anything that makes noise is an instrument.

JoTro
Dec 24, 2006

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1066!

John Cena posted:

I'd love for Trent to produce/play on a new Gary Numan album with Pino, Grohl, and Robin Finck.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Satellite from the Austin City Limits performance:
https://vimeo.com/90368293

It probably won't happen, but I wish this was getting a home video release too. If this and Tension 2013 were a 2-disc set that I could buy on Blu-Ray, that'd make me soooooooo happy.

e: And here's an interview with Trent from the ACL performance:
https://vimeo.com/88487844

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 4, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Guess I'm the only one who noticed this.

quote:

"In these few years, I kind of accidentally got into scoring films. I started a new band: How to Destroy Angels; we put two records out. I tried writing a TV show for HBO, which failed. I started a family, and surprisingly, I found myself inspired by that," Reznor told The Associated Press before playing over the weekend at the Lollapalooza festival in Chile.

RIP Year Zero HBO show

You were too awesome and out of date for this world :smith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I noticed it when he said it in the interview, but I didn't hear the "which failed" part. So I guess it's dead in the water then? :(

The album is like 7 years old at this point, so it would just get more and more dated the longer they put it off for, if it's even still a thing.

Also, holy poo poo, as I was typing out "the album is 7 years old", I remembered listening to the stream of the whole thing in my junior year of high school. And when the album came out, I didn't have any money to buy it at the time, but one of my classmates paid me like $20 to write a paper for them and the first thing I did with the money was go to Target after school and buy the CD.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 4, 2014

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The ACL setlist is up, as is Survivalism.

http://vimeo.com/90368294

“All Time Low”
“Sanctified”
“Came Back Haunted”
“Copy Of A”
“The Frail/The Wretched”
“The Big Come Down”
“In This Twilight”
“While I’m Still Here”
“Hurt”

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

magiccarpet posted:

The ACL setlist is up, as is Survivalism.

http://vimeo.com/90368294

“All Time Low”
“Sanctified”
“Came Back Haunted”
“Copy Of A”
“The Frail/The Wretched”
“The Big Come Down”
“In This Twilight”
“While I’m Still Here”
“Hurt”
Pino :swoon:

I love Trent's vocal delays too.

Setlist is baller. For some reason though, I checked the schedule on my local PBS affiliate and they're not airing this tomorrow night :negative:

So I guess I'll have to wait until it goes up on the ACL site?

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
It's also now live on the Roku PBS channel, if you have one of those. :) I know what I'm watching when I get home from work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stryder posted:

It's also now live on the Roku PBS channel, if you have one of those. :) I know what I'm watching when I get home from work.
Unfortunately I don't :( And I don't see it on here yet either: http://video.pbs.org/program/austin-city-limits/

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Pino :swoon:

I love Trent's vocal delays too.

Setlist is baller. For some reason though, I checked the schedule on my local PBS affiliate and they're not airing this tomorrow night :negative:

So I guess I'll have to wait until it goes up on the ACL site?

It's not on here in Houston until 11pm. I'd swear ACL was on earlier than that. Weird.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nostratic posted:

It's not on here in Houston until 11pm. I'd swear ACL was on earlier than that. Weird.
I've watched ACL on PBS here several times before, so I don't know if they just don't show it anymore or if they just aren't airing this one episode or what.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

JoTro posted:

I'd love for Trent to produce/play on a new Gary Numan album with Pino, Grohl, and Robin Finck.

Just went to a Gary Numan/Big Black Delta* show in the Midwest which rocked pretty hard and spent half of Numan's set thinking how much his newer stuff (the last few albums anyway) meshes with latter-day NIN. It was a pretty good time for a show in a modest-sized club. I can only imagine what that would have sounded (and looked) like with Trent levels of resources behind it.

*Also appearing was some cool band called Roman Remains that were kind of like a dark Metric. Gonna have to check them out later. Numan I already love and BBD is the Jonathan Bates (from Mellowdrone) side project that Alessandro Cortini sort of helped to inspire.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Austin City Limits performance is now online:
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365208812/

54 minutes long and it'll be online until May 3rd, so watch it within the next month.

Setlist:

quote:

All Time Low
Sanctified
Came Back Haunted
Copy of A
The Frail/The Wretched
The Big Come Down
In This Twilight
While I'm Still Here
Hurt

I'll add this to the OP, too.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Just finished watching it, good set! Loved Trent's comment about being able to see himself on stage for a change.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is there anything worse than the "I love you Trent!" scream during a slow song?

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

drat, my usually video downloaders aren't working for it. (this isn't :filez: is it?)

Carnage
Sep 27, 2002

ExplodingSquid posted:

drat, my usually video downloaders aren't working for it. (this isn't :filez: is it?)

I would hope not since it aired on public access but I wouldn't be surprised otherwise.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Lollapalooza Brazil pro shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6fnc1q3A3g

I really hope Trent adds some band members for the summer tour. Using drum machines and/or prerecorded bass/keyboards on some songs make me sad.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

Neil Young was an embarrassment in the Sound City documentary, as well. Going on about how digital audio has been flawed from the ground up, and that the engineers who originally designed the analog to digital process made a mistake. He came off as an old man completely out of his element.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Neil Young probably has hearing loss after playing big live shows for so long. Even if there was a difference he wouldn't be able to hear it with his way-below average hearing thanks to age and probably not wearing earplugs onstage.

Neil Young has been one of the main figures of the anti-digital movement since like the late 80's. It's not some new rant he cooked up as an old man in Sound City, he was probably included in Sound City at least in part because he's so well known for his position on digital.

He would probably respond to the latter post with "it's not a matter of hearing but feeling" though I agree he would probably not be able to pass any kind of a/b test.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVvAJhZVBTc

4k shot March Of The Pigs from Melbourne in March. Go 'head and click that gear button and select 2160p :cool:

(Although you may have to watch this in YouTube to do that. Not sure if you can do it in the embedded player.)

e: Also holy gently caress, I'm finally watching that entire Lollapalooza Brazil set, and Great Destroyer sounds beyond incredible here. Like Jesus Christ, it may even sound cooler here than it did when I saw them play it live during Lights in the Sky in '08. :aaaaa:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 14, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonna add these to the OP now.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm a little out the loop. Is this still with the full band and backup singers?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

echronorian posted:

I'm a little out the loop. Is this still with the full band and backup singers?
No backup singers anymore and the band is now a 4 piece (Trent + Robin + Ilan + Alessandro). The backup singers and added band members were only for Tension 2013 (last year's tour).

NIN tries to do something different for every tour they go on. That was last year's thing, and I think this year's thing is that they're trying to incorporate a lot more older material.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 3, 2014

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

No backup singers anymore and the band is now a 4 piece (Trent + Robin + Ilan + Alessandro). The backup singers and added band members were only for Tension 2013 (last year's tour).

NIN tries to do something different for every tour they go on. That was last year's thing, and I think this year's thing is that they're trying to incorporate a lot more older material.

and also chris cornell

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Platypus Farm posted:

and also chris cornell
Well, maybe. Cornell's open to it, but he and Trent have never even met and nothing's final. That'd certainly be interesting to see, though. I wonder which (if any) NIN songs Chris Cornell's voice would work well with.

quote:

The idea of the two bands collaborating in any way hasn't been discussed yet. "We tend to be really open," Cornell said, "and we've toured with bands that are and we've toured with bands that aren't, and there's some bands that totally aren't set up for that. Some bands have a thing that they have to do, and the idea of a collaboration might open the curtain so people can see behind it. So you never know."

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Well, maybe. Cornell's open to it, but he and Trent have never even met and nothing's final. That'd certainly be interesting to see, though. I wonder which (if any) NIN songs Chris Cornell's voice would work well with.

Oh, no I was just making a dumb joke about the soundgarden tour, not actually them collaborating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

Semi unrelated but I just heard Daisy Berkowitz is dying of colon cancer. What a bummer, he's a large part of what made Manson great in the early years.

Masonic Youth posted:

He is going through chemotherapy now and is apparently responding well to it but the cancer was already pretty advanced when they caught it. I believe he finishes the chemo in May (I'm friends with him on Facebook and he updates fairly often).
Still semi-unrelated (one of these days I'll get around to making a Marilyn Manson thread) but I wanted to update those who care about Daisy B. He finished his first round of chemo and had a successful operation last month to remove his tumor. There's still a little bit of chemo left to go to get him totally cancer-free, but it looks like he's gonna make it.
Also, I suggest fans of early Manson keep an eye on Scott's Soundcloud page (https://soundcloud.com/3tgtunes) -- he mostly posts demos of his new solo material but every once in a while he'll throw in an unreleased MM track.