Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's actually pretty cool that Jim Shooter's saying "Yeah, I had nothing to do with writing that but as Editor in Chief I should have stopped it and holy poo poo I REALLY should have stopped it. I'm so sorry this exists."

Oh and sfdebris, in his newest video, has outright stated that in two weeks he's starting to review this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kannazuki_no_Miko.

Why on earth did someone ask him to review that? The poor bastard

I have never heard of that series and that link doesn't work. So let's just chuck the series name in google and

quote:

Kannazuki no Miko (神無月の巫女, literally Priestesses of the Godless Month) is a yuri manga series created by Kaishaku.

Ah, lesbians. Why wouldn't it be that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Testekill posted:

I have never heard of that series and that link doesn't work. So let's just chuck the series name in google and

Ah, lesbians. Why wouldn't it be that.

Yeah, the period got roped into the url code, fixed the link.

The more I read the wikipedia entry the more I realize this is going to be the most awkward review SFDebris has ever done.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah. If they wanted him to continue watching anime this was probably the wrong anime to suggest to him.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I can think of worse lesbian romance drama animes for him to watch, at least this one has a small reprieve of having giant robots in it. :colbert:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Let's just stop this before it gets any further.

Anyway, Kimble Justice is doing FF7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiyt-N8hbRY.

I really Like Kimble. He does good research into his subjects and tends to have some generally interesting topics as well. I'm a little concerned he's doing something that every single other reviewer has done before, but cutting it into 7 parts and going really in depth is pretty interesting and allows him the freedom to discuss the history and cultural shifts going on in gaming when FF7 was introduced. I really think the guy deserves more views.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yeah, the period got roped into the url code, fixed the link.

The more I read the wikipedia entry the more I realize this is going to be the most awkward review SFDebris has ever done.

Yeah, something like Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura (context for Madoka cuz of the Magical Girl stuff) or Revolutionary Girl Utena (artsy coming of age) I'd get, but some random lesbians and robots series? Hell, I even kind of get the person who donated for the Neptunia game, because at least that series' premise is goofy as gently caress. (It's about personifications of the various games consoles as magical girls. The main character is the Game Gear.)

On a slightly different note, he just did the Deadly Force episode of Gargoyles, which is pretty much the most important and gutsy episode the show did. So of course it's always skipped in reruns, despite one of the heroes getting injured in it and staying that way for the rest of the season.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Thunderfinger posted:

I can think of worse lesbian romance drama animes for him to watch, at least this one has a small reprieve of having giant robots in it. :colbert:

So does Simoun, and it's also a story about lesbians and giant robots with thought and craft behind it and not a pile of pure dumb masturbatory bullshit like KnM.

So yeah, that's gonna be interesting. Kannazuki no Miko is...not...good. :saddowns:

(I sent him an anime request/donation several months back as well, don't know when/where it is on his schedule though. That was right after I saw how well he responded to Madoka, but now I feel bad about it because it looks like he's getting swamped with anime, and that's unfortunate. Guess lots of other people had the same response to those Madoka videos.)

Jay O fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 2, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That's really odd, so far all anime he reviewed have been either the classics with a scifi connection(Bebop, GitS, Gundam) or stuff that recently got a lot of recognition (MM). This seems to be just your average yuri anime. Christ, it even takes place in a private academy.

Can I assume that is just one of his nerdier fans missing the mark by a mile or is there a twist to this thing? I don't mind him doing anime, especially not if it is scifi related, but I hoped the MM review would be an exeption, not the rule.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

e X posted:

Can I assume that is just one of his nerdier fans missing the mark by a mile or is there a twist to this thing? I don't mind him doing anime, especially not if it is scifi related, but I hoped the MM review would be an exeption, not the rule.

Yes. Technically, it's very much sci fi/fantasy, there's a lot of weird paranormal/magical convoluted bullshit in it, but it's a story from the juvenile Elfen Lied/Sword Art Online/Future Diary school of "15-year olds think this is really grimdark and emotional" and it's just kinda tryhard and stupid and very very very "anime" in the not-good ways.

So yes, I agree, I hope this isn't a trend. I would rather stuff be requested for sfdebris because it's animation from Japan that also happens to be sci fi/fantasy in an interesting way, (like everything he's covered so far has been,) and not just mediocre spank n' angst toons that are the very reason it's a niche product to begin with.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Let's just stop this before it gets any further.

Anyway, Kimble Justice is doing FF7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiyt-N8hbRY.

I really Like Kimble. He does good research into his subjects and tends to have some generally interesting topics as well. I'm a little concerned he's doing something that every single other reviewer has done before, but cutting it into 7 parts and going really in depth is pretty interesting and allows him the freedom to discuss the history and cultural shifts going on in gaming when FF7 was introduced. I really think the guy deserves more views.

Thanks. 2nd part (with tons of the promised analysis and less of the just going through story stuff) is going to be up shortly!

I'm also concerned about doing something that, as you said, everyone has done before, and I had a look at what everyone else has done...but well, I wanna - it's my favourite game of all-time and I've wanted to do it ever since I started, and there's just so much to talk about, including some things that I don't think have really been touched on all that much, at least not on Youtube anyway. If they're to stand out from the 7 million or so other FF7 reviews on Youtube, then the only way to go is just to go in-depth to hell, pretty much. I've no idea how long it's going to end up once all 7 parts are done...

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Metal Loaf posted:

Only has a Region 1 release, from what I can see, but I'll keep an eye out.

Aw, bummer. Get an all-region DVD player; your opportunities will suddenly open up!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Color Gray posted:

When Linkara kept hinting at how bad Avengers #200 was going to get, I was certain that it wasn't really going to be that bad and that I was going to be disappointed.

I was wrong.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/42795-avengers-200

tl;dr summary:

:stonk:

Here's a working version of the link from the top of that article in case anyone's interested.

Why the gently caress are comic book writers so obsessed with rape?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Benne posted:

Because it's NOT FOR KIDS DUH

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Benne posted:

It's usually a lazy way to provoke reactions and give the male character something to angst about while the female character's arc is disregarded.

Did that sound bitter?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Benne posted:

Whenever they want to do something 'SUPER SERIOUS' they seem to go with rape, since I guess murder is already not shocking.

Then of course they don't handle it properly.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Elmyr posted:

Thanks. 2nd part (with tons of the promised analysis and less of the just going through story stuff) is going to be up shortly!

I'm also concerned about doing something that, as you said, everyone has done before, and I had a look at what everyone else has done...but well, I wanna - it's my favourite game of all-time and I've wanted to do it ever since I started, and there's just so much to talk about, including some things that I don't think have really been touched on all that much, at least not on Youtube anyway. If they're to stand out from the 7 million or so other FF7 reviews on Youtube, then the only way to go is just to go in-depth to hell, pretty much. I've no idea how long it's going to end up once all 7 parts are done...

Have you thought of trying to work with the other two PSX Final Fantasy games? While 8 still has some stuff dedicated to it, notable Spoony's review, I think a full length, in depth look like you're doing here would be interesting. 9 especially would be fun to look at, not only is it my favorite FF, but not a whole lot of people talk about it.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks, guys!

Yes, I plan to do it again with other series. Theoretically it won't be such a massive undertaking since most shows aren't as incompetent as Charmed, but I've been wrong before. I'm doing an overview of the entire series of Forever Knight after Charmed, then tentatively I'd like to tackle Supernatural season by season.

Now that I'm glad to hear. I personally love Forever Knight, but I swear I'm the only American who is even aware it's a thing. Looking forward to hearing your analysis of it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Benne posted:

Because giving women emotional arcs is haaaard and your average comic reader is dulled to the shock of violence so if they want a cheap "YEA BET YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING" shock they gotta rape a chick or something where most mediums could at least kill someone off or something? Also there's a hilarious thing where after a hero lady gets raped, the story then shifts to how the guy who likes her reacts to it, because that's what counts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Miss Wallace posted:

Aw, bummer. Get an all-region DVD player; your opportunities will suddenly open up!

Certainly an option I've been considering lately (especially seeing as a I just got paid this week).

I don't suppose there's any UK goons in the thread can recommend a particular set?

Benne posted:

Ever read Identity Crisis? If you think Avengers #200 is bad, check out Identity Crisis (Disclaimer: do not actually check out Identity Crisis).

I mean, Avengers #200 is pretty bad, but maybe you can chalk it up to genuine ignorance of the implications if you're feeling extremely charitable. Identity Crisis, though? That's the comic where Brad Meltzer retroactively inserted a rape into the backstory of a superhero's wife, who is gruesomely murdered in the first issue by someone who proceeds to destroy her body with a flame-thrower. We learn that she was pregnant.

There have been comics with worse writing in the past ten years, but I don't think any have been quite so damaging.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 3, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Metal Loaf posted:

Certainly an option I've been considering lately (especially seeing as a I just got paid this week).

I don't suppose there's any UK goons in the thread can recommend a particular set?

Ever read Identity Crisis? If you think Avengers #200 is bad, check out Identity Crisis (Disclaimer: do not actually check out Identity Crisis).

I mean, Avengers #200 is pretty bad, but maybe you can chalk it up to genuine ignorance of the implications if you're feeling extremely charitable. Identity Crisis, though? That's the comic where Brad Meltzer retroactively inserted a rape into the backstory of a superhero's wife, who is gruesomely murdered in the first issue by someone who proceeds to destroy her body with a flame-thrower. We learn that she was pregnant.

There have been comics with worse writing in the past ten years, but I don't think any have been quite so damaging.

I'd argue that Identity Crisis is nowhere NEAR as bad or as damaging as Ultimatum. Identity Crisis, for all it's flaws, actually got a TON of people, including me, into comics. Hell the event it led into, Infinite Crisis, is actually in my opinion pretty great.

Ultimatum on the other hand completely destroyed the Ultimate universe. It slaughtered tons of interesting characters, the best example being the totally pointless and mean-spirited killing of Ultimate Doctor Strange before he even got to have cool stories. It totally gutted an entire portion of Marvel comics and was just total garbage in general.

Identity Crisis might have been lovely but it brought a ton of people into comics. Ultimatum was lovely AND made a ton of people stop giving a gently caress about the Ultimate books because nearly every interesting character was dead.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 3, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'd argue that Identity Crisis is nowhere NEAR as bad or as damaging as Ultimatum. Identity Crisis, for all it's flaws, actually got a TON of people, including me, into comics. Hell the event it led into, Infinite Crisis, is actually in my opinion pretty great.

Ultimatum on the other hand completely destroyed the Ultimate universe. It slaughtered tons of interesting characters, the best example being the totally pointless and mean-spirited killing of Ultimate Doctor Strange before he even got to have cool stories. It totally gutted an entire portion of Marvel comics and was just total garbage in general.

Identity Crisis might have been lovely but it brought a ton of people into comics. Ultimatum was lovely AND made a ton of people stop giving a gently caress about the Ultimate books because nearly every interesting character was dead.

I like Identity Crisis, actually. I think, if you take it as a more or less stand-alone comic story, it's got a lot of very cool concepts running. The notion of superheroes vastly overstepping their bounds, the dangers of having an identity be secret and having it been exposed. The rape subplot is sort of whatever, but the murder mystery aspect, the interpersonal relationships, and the sort of sheer horror of watching the Justice League erasing Batman's memory made it very memorable and engaging. Plus, Deathstroke kicks the poo poo out of the whole Justice League, that's rad.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I like Identity Crisis, actually. I think, if you take it as a more or less stand-alone comic story, it's got a lot of very cool concepts running. The notion of superheroes vastly overstepping their bounds, the dangers of having an identity be secret and having it been exposed. The rape subplot is sort of whatever, but the murder mystery aspect, the interpersonal relationships, and the sort of sheer horror of watching the Justice League erasing Batman's memory made it very memorable and engaging. Plus, Deathstroke kicks the poo poo out of the whole Justice League, that's rad.

The murder mystery aspect was good, until they tried to answer it and everything spiraled out of control with secret rapes, casual mind wipes, "judicial" lobotomies, and man how bitches be crazy.

Deathstroke kicking the poo poo out of the whole Justice League was always dumb as poo poo though. Thinking up a scenario where Deathstroke legitimately kicks the poo poo out of the Justice League would be awesome. Having almost everyone on the Justice League forget how to use their powers on the other hand is just dumb. Oh hey, let's have the loving Flash run into a sword.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Gyges posted:

The murder mystery aspect was good, until they tried to answer it and everything spiraled out of control with secret rapes, casual mind wipes, "judicial" lobotomies, and man how bitches be crazy.

Deathstroke kicking the poo poo out of the whole Justice League was always dumb as poo poo though. Thinking up a scenario where Deathstroke legitimately kicks the poo poo out of the Justice League would be awesome. Having almost everyone on the Justice League forget how to use their powers on the other hand is just dumb. Oh hey, let's have the loving Flash run into a sword.

The best part was when Deathstroke comes within inches of somehow overpowering Green Lantern and stealing his ring from him which is completely god drat insane when you consider he's just some dude with no real super powers except he's really loving good at fighting and planning. It was at that point you realize it's just the writer finally getting the change to make his fanfiction a reality.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

poparena posted:

The Cinema Snob went all out with his latest DVD-R Hell:

http://www.thecinemasnob.com/69/post/2014/03/dvd-r-hell-the-day-the-clown-cried.html

The Cinema Snob's Demo Reel > That Guy With The Glasses' Demo Reel

That was everything Demo Reel should have been, although I think it would drag down if it were made into a series. Really funny work by Brad and crew.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

The murder mystery aspect was good

Do you mean the core idea of having a mystery at all, or what? Because it was a pretty horrible mystery.

I mean, to sum it up in one sentence, Jean just wanted to talk to Sue, but brought a flamethrower just in case.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Idran posted:

Do you mean the core idea of having a mystery at all, or what? Because it was a pretty horrible mystery.

I mean, to sum it up in one sentence, Jean just wanted to talk to Sue, but brought a flamethrower just in case.

That was part of the reveal of what happened, which was poo poo and contained all the rapes, mind wipes, lobotomies, and the nature of female crazy.

The actual mystery was more or less your classic locked room mystery, with super heroes. Not a bad idea what with all the super detectives and scientists wracking their brains, pouring over the evidence supplied by all the crazy aliens and hyper powered humans. Then instead of a doctor with a snake, it's an crazy lady with piece of a dwarf star and a flamethrower, come to win her man back.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ultimatum is terrible. That's indisputable. I don't think I've ever seen anyone defend it. On its face it's probably worse than Identity Crisis because the latter at least has a couple of scenes which were pulled off pretty well.

I think Identity Crisis the more damaging series because a) it ended up dictating the tone of the mainstream DCU for years aftwards insofar as it seems to have given them the impression that the "big" stories had to be Very Serious, that villains have to be rapists or mass murderers or whatever if they're going to be taken seriously (which just makes the heroes look useless) and b) it retroactively made the DC universe a much uglier place; I honestly get the impression that DC is embarrassed by their Silver Age stories and the only way they're acknowledging them is by giving them this really dark twist. Sometimes that works, but it requires a great deal of care.

I'm admittedly biased because I really like the Satellite era Justice League, which was the period that was mainly affected by the mindwipe retcon.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

poparena posted:

The Cinema Snob went all out with his latest DVD-R Hell:

http://www.thecinemasnob.com/69/post/2014/03/dvd-r-hell-the-day-the-clown-cried.html

The Cinema Snob's Demo Reel > That Guy With The Glasses' Demo Reel

I'm getting a 404 for this link. Anyone have another link?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
http://www.thecinemasnob.com/69/post/2014/03/demo-reel-et-the-porno.html

Its been relisted post april 1st.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Deofuta posted:

That was everything Demo Reel should have been, although I think it would drag down if it were made into a series. Really funny work by Brad and crew.

Yes, I especially love the surprise ending that explains the central premise of the show. This way Demo Reel at least makes some sense.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 3, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Deofuta posted:

I do like how Rob's character showed up, who was probably the best character from that show

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

Not in the UK, but most (if not all) DVD players can be "hacked" into being region-free, usually by pushing a combination of buttons on the remote.

There's sites dedicated to posting said codes, so go into a shop, look at the players they have, then try and see if a button combo is available online.

I managed to do this to two players I've owned so I could watch DVDs I brought back with me from Europe or that were gifted to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Cool! I don't have a DVD player myself (mostly I use my computer) but my brother has one of those televisions with a player built in, so I'll see if I can find a code for that (and I'll certainly give Forever Knight a go if it's reasonably priced).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Cool! I don't have a DVD player myself (mostly I use my computer) but my brother has one of those televisions with a player built in, so I'll see if I can find a code for that (and I'll certainly give Forever Knight a go if it's reasonably priced).

VLC can just ignore the region settings on your computer's DVD drive so that's an option as well.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
RedLetterMedia just posted a video about their honest anticipation of this year's blockbuster season:

http://redlettermedia.com/rlms-summer-movie-round-up/

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

e X posted:

RedLetterMedia just posted a video about their honest anticipation of this year's blockbuster season:

http://redlettermedia.com/rlms-summer-movie-round-up/

I'm surprised I've never heard "not even screened for audiences" before. Seems like it should be a more common attack.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Random Stranger posted:

VLC can just ignore the region settings on your computer's DVD drive so that's an option as well.

Yes, VLC can play anything. I use it to play region 2 DVDs and the like.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
When I think about crowdfunded puppet operettas based on fads from the 1990s, the first name that comes to mind is Magic: the Gathering: the Musical, subject of the most recent episode of Cheapskate Live!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Miss Wallace posted:

Yes, VLC can play anything. I use it to play region 2 DVDs and the like.

I wish you could do this with Blu-rays. Instead I have to pay for PowerDVD, keep my Region at A, and use different devices for different regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sage closes out Toonami month with Blue Submarine No. 6

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as Sage. The show left an impression on me despite me hating the every living poo poo out of it. I considered it the Ferngully of anime - except in this one the genocidal antagonist is supposed to be presented in the right and every bit of dialogue he has is just some sanctimonious, extreme view that is never challenged. When he reviewed A Wind Named Amnesia I thought to myself "Oh, poor man's Blue Submarine" since that, too, is presented that what happened to humanity was a good thing and any attempt at discourse is immediately shot down.

• Locked thread