Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DeusExMachinima posted:

I was cruising the Wiki on the Hobby Lobby case and ran across this gem:

What Scalia's describing is exactly what RFRA did and what Hobby Lobby says they should be able to do. And I guess posters in the thread are saying Scalia's now favoring the other side of this coin (or maybe that's because these are good Christians and Smith was a peyote-smokin' Indian). So my question is how doesn't Hobby Lobby win if the court has to apply strict scrutiny RFRA-style? Do they have to apply it?

The RFRA was passed in response to that case in order to overturn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

duz posted:

Since they aren't stopping their employees from using their paychecks to buy contraceptives, I think it's a safe guess that the Green's only care what they do and not what others do.

Then they and people like them wouldn't be leveraging their position as gatekeeper to PBMs to cripple membership for their employees such that their serfs pay the same for membership as everyone else but get less benefit from their membership than everyone else.

People like that absolutely do care about what their employees spend money on. Just paying in script is illegal and there isn't any wiggle room there so they have limited ability to do anything about it. They absolutely do champion laws that allow them to fire people for discovering they did something the owner doesn't like on their own time. Like being gay or getting divorced or voting democrat. That's as close as they can come to company script.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

evilweasel posted:

Gonzales v. Paraguayan hallucinogenic tea was after RFRA, and upheld the gubmint's interest in cracking down on obscure native religious practices as part of the drug war.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

sullat posted:

Gonzales v. Paraguayan hallucinogenic tea was after RFRA, and upheld the gubmint's interest in cracking down on obscure native religious practices as part of the drug war.

Do you mean Brazilian? And the gubbermint lost.

evilweasel posted:

So posters think Scalia will have changed his tune because Congress changed the law, okay. So it really seems like as long as the RFRA stands, HL can make a very strong argument out of existing law.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

twodot posted:

For as long as the Religious Freedom Restoration Act exists, yes we should continue to apply its restrictions to laws which fail to exempt themselves. Policy-wise, I think both the ACA and RFRA are pretty lovely laws that are putting our courts in no-win situations. I would certainly prefer a single payer set up that avoids all of these issues.

Are you asserting you are familiar with the Green's religious beliefs enough to know this is definitely not prohibited by their religion, or something else?

I am asserting that it doesn't matter what their religious beliefs are as they are trying to constrain the actions of other people who do not share their beliefs in a manner that is financially harmful to those other people.

The patient must overpay or go without.

The pharmacy loses business from those who go without.

The PBM loses spread and volume from all the transactions they are forced to reject.

If you want to continue society loses out because unplanned/unwanted pregnancies are increased. Etc.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

McAlister posted:

I am asserting that it doesn't matter what their religious beliefs are as they are trying to constrain the actions of other people who do not share their beliefs in a manner that is financially harmful to those other people.
This is a wrong description of the reality of the US. Are you trying to argue for a policy change now? (Earlier you definitely made some sort of assertion about the Green's religious beliefs, but you've appeared to have dropped that).

duz posted:

Since they aren't stopping their employees from using their paychecks to buy contraceptives, I think it's a safe guess that the Green's only care what they do and not what others do.
This is broken reasoning, there are many reasons why Hobby Lobby wouldn't attempt to stop their employees from using their paychecks to buy contraceptives, the best reason I can think of is that they know they couldn't possibly succeed.

twodot fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 29, 2014

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Religious belief really complicates legal matters doesn't it

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

baw posted:

Religious belief really complicates legal matters doesn't it

In an ideal world, it shouldn't, because the government and the law should be 100% secular. If your chosen deity is going to get all kinked up about following the law, you can be strong in your faith and go to prison or you can go get yourself another god. There are thousands to choose from, or you can just build your own!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LeJackal posted:

In an ideal world, it shouldn't, because the government and the law should be 100% secular. If your chosen deity is going to get all kinked up about following the law, you can be strong in your faith and go to prison or you can go get yourself another god. There are thousands to choose from, or you can just build your own!

You could've just shortened this to "in an ideal world all of the religious people would be locked up".

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So, thread regulars, what are the expected cases to be opinioned Wednesday? I'm hoping for the Hobby Lobby case (I have a bet riding on the outcome) but I'm sure it isn't going to happen. I assume that we're going to see the NLRB case, if anything.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

So, thread regulars, what are the expected cases to be opinioned Wednesday? I'm hoping for the Hobby Lobby case (I have a bet riding on the outcome) but I'm sure it isn't going to happen. I assume that we're going to see the NLRB case, if anything.
Oral arguments for those cases were just last week. There's a 0% chance that an opinion -- which will undoubtedly be authored by Kennedy, though perhaps Roberts -- is coming down the pipeline as quickly as tomorrow.

You have 100% lost your bet.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Green Crayons posted:

Oral arguments for those cases were just last week. There's a 0% chance that an opinion -- which will undoubtedly be authored by Kennedy, though perhaps Roberts -- is coming down the pipeline as quickly as tomorrow.

You have 100% lost your bet.

Not if it's a bet on the outcome and not the date :v:

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Oh, I see.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

You could've just shortened this to "in an ideal world all of the religious people would be locked up".

Nice strawman. No, they would follow the laws in the same manner as any other citizen, and practice privately instead of trying to exploit the legal system to force their beliefs onto others.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

An Angry Bug posted:

Nice strawman. No, they would follow the laws in the same manner as any other citizen, and practice privately instead of trying to exploit the legal system to force their beliefs onto others.

They are following the law. In this case, Congress passed a law that says all Federal statutes have a religious exemption unless the law is narrowly tailored to address a compelling government interest.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

KernelSlanders posted:

They are following the law. In this case, Congress passed a law that says all Federal statutes have a religious exemption unless the law is narrowly tailored to address a compelling government interest.

Congress also passed a law saying that birth control will be included in a health plan offered by a company if they wish to avoid various penalties.

There's no reason to be so drat obtuse, if it were really that clear cut do you think SCOTUS would have granted cert?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

An Angry Bug posted:

Does this also presume a world where the majority won't hide behind "general applicability" to pass laws that gently caress with reigious minorities?

"Look buddy, stop trying to get special treatment. I can't wear a turban into a federal building either, and you don't see me complaining about it. If your goofy hat is so important to you, then keep it on and give up any right to seek justice through the courts. Not hard."

StarMagician
Jan 2, 2013

Query: Are you saying that one coon calling for the hanging of another coon is racist?

Check and mate D&D.

Solkanar512 posted:

Congress also passed a law saying that birth control will be included in a health plan offered by a company if they wish to avoid various penalties.

There's no reason to be so drat obtuse, if it were really that clear cut do you think SCOTUS would have granted cert?

Didn't the lower court rule the other way? If so, they'd want to grant cert if it were crystal clear that the circuit court ruled in error.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How much more damage can these 5 do before one of them dies? This McCutchen case is just depressing as hell.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
So just to make sure I have this straight, McCutcheon didn't address the individual candidate limit, but the overall limit you could give to multiple candidates? I.e. before this case you could give the maximum amount to individual candidates until you hit the 46,200 limit, and then give another 70,000 and change to the national party directly, but now you can give the maximum amount to an unlimited number of candidates and an uncapped amount directly to the national party?

While I agree it's a horrible decision, doesn't this really just change the divide in where the rich put their money rather than increasing the amount of money they can give. They previously could give 117,000 to candidates and the party directly, and unlimited amounts to SuperPACs and other soft-money groups, and now they can just give effectively unlimited amounts directly to the candidates (up to 5k each) and the party (unlimited)?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

CommanderApaul posted:

So just to make sure I have this straight, McCutcheon didn't address the individual candidate limit, but the overall limit you could give to multiple candidates? I.e. before this case you could give the maximum amount to individual candidates until you hit the 46,200 limit, and then give another 70,000 and change to the national party directly, but now you can give the maximum amount to an unlimited number of candidates and an uncapped amount directly to the national party?

While I agree it's a horrible decision, doesn't this really just change the divide in where the rich put their money rather than increasing the amount of money they can give. They previously could give 117,000 to candidates and the party directly, and unlimited amounts to SuperPACs and other soft-money groups, and now they can just give effectively unlimited amounts directly to the candidates (up to 5k each) and the party (unlimited)?

It doesn't change much but it's just another brick in the wall this court is building to protect the practice of buying elections based on the shocking stupidly that money in politics doesn't cause corruption.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guarantee that whenever they get a case challenging the overall limit to one candidate they will take it out. I assume that will probably be soon, since Republicans are rushing to increase corporate power established in Citizens United before the balance of the court shifts again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This court LOVES people's right to buy elections and hates their right to vote. Tools of the plutocracy.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Solkanar512 posted:

Did you read the comment I was replying to and the comment it was replying to? SCOTUS granted cert to determine the scope of that exception and who is allowed to claim it. That's very different than saying religious people don't have to follow the law.

Moreover, if Congress didn't want the RFRA to apply to the law saying birth control will be included in a health plan they could have said "notwithstanding any other provision of law." Congress chose not to.

KernelSlanders fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 2, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This shouldn't be an unexpected outcome and directly follows from Citizens United logic. If money is speech then obviously they can't limit it. Its not like you can only spend so many minutes per election cycle talking about a specific candidate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

This shouldn't be an unexpected outcome and directly follows from Citizens United logic. If money is speech then obviously they can't limit it. Its not like you can only spend so many minutes per election cycle talking about a specific candidate.

The Court has historically drawn a distinction on spending independent of candidates and giving candidates a big fat check directly, and been more willing to uphold restrictions on the latter. It is worrying they're weakening that and this is another step in the direction of abolishing campaign financing regulations entirely.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

The Court has historically drawn a distinction on spending independent of candidates and giving candidates a big fat check directly, and been more willing to uphold restrictions on the latter. It is worrying they're weakening that and this is another step in the direction of abolishing campaign financing regulations entirely.

The aggregate spending on all federal candidates is a big jump from citizens united. But I agree the individual limits are likely the next target and I wouldn't bet on the outcome there.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah man, equal time is loving bullshit. You know what would be really awesome? The person with the most """Support""" gets the most time! We can quantify """Support""" as these nifty little green slips of paper that you may very well already have lying around your house or Swiss bank account! """Support""" bless America.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

Yeah man, equal time is loving bullshit. You know what would be really awesome? The person with the most """Support""" gets the most time! We can quantify """Support""" as these nifty little green slips of paper that you may very well already have lying around your house or Swiss bank account! """Support""" bless America.

This supreme court would waste no time in striking down some sort of equal time doctrine, yes.

There is a difference between predicting supreme court decisions and what your personal opinions about good policy are you know.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Is there any way to write new legislation to regulate campaign financing without running afoul of the court's current view on the issue? Or is buying elections now a feature, not a bug?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

Following that analogy and assuming a 180 day election cycle, the Koch brothers have 312 million minutes an election cycle to talk.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

hobbesmaster posted:

This supreme court would waste no time in striking down some sort of equal time doctrine, yes.

There is a difference between predicting supreme court decisions and what your personal opinions about good policy are you know.

It's all just so infuriating :negative:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zombie Samurai posted:

Is there any way to write new legislation to regulate campaign financing without running afoul of the court's current view on the issue? Or is buying elections now a feature, not a bug?

An Amendment, a Constitutional Convention, or new Justices.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zombie Samurai posted:

No chance till new justices.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No chance till new justices.

Is Congress able to write legislation they know is going against a court ruling to specifically attempt to get a new ruling on an issue?

Something akin to Andrew Jackson's "now let the court enforce it's decision :smug:" moment.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

This isn't actually an argument. The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich and poor from begging under bridges, so the sort of principle you're looking for has no basis in law in general.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

axeil posted:

Is Congress able to write legislation they know is going against a court ruling to specifically attempt to get a new ruling on an issue?

Something akin to Andrew Jackson's "now let the court enforce it's decision :smug:" moment.

Sure, but does that seem likely?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

Yes, they are. But the Supreme Court doesn't have to take it.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Also, the Supreme Court is only effective because the rest of the country abides by its rulings. Undercutting that may not be a good thing.

An amendment to fix this would be great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sure, but does that seem likely?

I can only see this happening if a Ross Perot 2.0 decides to throw a couple billion to the Libertarian party or an actual Tea Party and scares the GOP.