Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I want to know what they're for. A country like the US that has been constantly at war in one way or another since the 90's it makes sense to have a bunch of campaign medals and such. NK must give them out for shelling unoccupied islands or killing civilians or something.

Having served in the Marines for four years (luckily staying out of war zones), this was my question, too. It's like the Army's award-giving philosophy taken to the nth degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I could destroy them all I would need is a big rear end magnet

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I want to know what they're for. A country like the US that has been constantly at war in one way or another since the 90's it makes sense to have a bunch of campaign medals and such. NK must give them out for shelling unoccupied islands or killing civilians or something.

I believe a lot of it is because of not having a ribbon system for many of the medals - so all the long service, good conduct and so on things that are handed out like candy in NK have the full thing hanging on the coat.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You get a medal for getting a medal. Also you get a medal when you recieve two medals within a 24-hour span.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I get two medals 'fore I get two medals, and then I get two more

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I could destroy them all I would need is a big rear end magnet

You're assuming they have enough metal content. I'm betting a good majority of those actually contain chocolate (or whatever passes for a treat for the North Koreans who are able to eat) and are slowly consumed throughout the ceremony.

On the subject of fake medals:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
A lot of those look like repeats of the same medal, so whereas in the US you'd get little devices on the ribbon these guys get the whole bling over and over. Also :laffo: at that Air Force guy's Combat Infantry Badge. I would imagine the number of airmen with one of those who didn't transfer in from the Army is pretty loving close to 0.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Those are actually ribbons :colbert:

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hasn't NK officially been consistently at war for the past 60 years? Makes sense that they'd accumulate a few medals.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Solice Kirsk posted:

A country like the US that has been constantly at war in one way or another since the 90's it makes sense to have a bunch of campaign medals and such.

the 90's?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_States

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

One Swell Foop posted:

Hasn't NK officially been consistently at war for the past 60 years? Makes sense that they'd accumulate a few medals.

There was no peace treaty after the Korean conflict but the DPRK hasn't really attacked anybody other than the USS Pueblo and limited engagments in the NLL with ROK (also a bunch of drug smuggling and SOF poo poo). Medals and badges like that are more indicative of a Stalinist influence than anything else. You should also google North Korea digraph.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

tribbledirigible posted:

On the subject of fake medals:

Is this guy a fraud or something? I don't know anything about the medals and ribbons he has. But he looks too young to have accumulated all that.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is this guy a fraud or something? I don't know anything about the medals and ribbons he has. But he looks too young to have accumulated all that.

No those are real medals he posted on the subject of fake medals

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah that's Audie loving Murphy there bud.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
The article includes the real kicker.
http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=24149

"Oh dahling, Army reg combat boots with AF blues? Can you spell fashion disaster?"

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well technically Democratic People's Republic of Korea has been at war since at least the fifties so yeah.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
That North Korean medal pic is a pretty obvious photoshop, but the original isn't much better.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR3wVooTGDk
god dammit jimmy

the skit is called "stinky harmonica"

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

muike posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR3wVooTGDk
god dammit jimmy

the skit is called "stinky harmonica"

Gaki no tsukai's 24-hour no laughing new years special is good poo poo. Basically the whole thing is one big trap to get them to laugh as much as possible, which earns them a punishment. The punishment being a thwack on the rear end with a weird bat stick thingy. Team Gaki has a website and they've translated basically every 24-hour special since it started.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

oldpainless posted:

You get a medal for getting a medal. Also you get a medal when you recieve two medals within a 24-hour span.

North Korea Army: Achievement Unlocked

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the Enthusiastic Teachers one is probably translated the best because one of the guys in the show actually helped out on it.

edit: it's probably also one of the funniest ones, but I haven't seen the latest one yet.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

kinmik posted:

The article includes the real kicker.
http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=24149

"Oh dahling, Army reg combat boots with AF blues? Can you spell fashion disaster?"

Did they take him to a civilian hospital or a military hospital when they were done kicking the everliving poo poo out of him

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Did they take him to a civilian hospital or a military hospital when they were done kicking the everliving poo poo out of him

He died earlier this year in a military hospital from what I can tell.

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

muike posted:

the Enthusiastic Teachers one is probably translated the best because one of the guys in the show actually helped out on it.

edit: it's probably also one of the funniest ones, but I haven't seen the latest one yet.

It was great if only for one of the most emotionally brutal Thai Kicks in any of the batsu games but I really don't want to spoil what happened.

Here's one of my favorite batsu gags: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp9oEc0kt8Q Show-Hei HEY

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Blackfish posted:

It was great if only for one of the most emotionally brutal Thai Kicks in any of the batsu games but I really don't want to spoil what happened.

Here's one of my favorite batsu gags: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp9oEc0kt8Q Show-Hei HEY

Gaki no tsukai is becoming one of my favorite things to watch, too bad that I don't know Japanese. One of the great games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxXHw_0XzfY

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Matsumoto looked like such a punk fucker when he had hair

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Yeah, and Yamazaki's put on a fair amount of weight since then.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Japan.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

See bottom row on the right, the one that looks like a moose head? That's the airborne assault badge. Above and to the right is the parachutist badge, also called "jump wings." As mentioned, the blue rectangle with a wreath around it is for combat infantry. None of these are badges you would expect on a pencil-necked guy in an airforce uniform. This guy might as well claim to be an army submarine officer.

The ribbons are irrelevant, except that there's way too many of them for a guy his age and dumpiness.

From a page linked from the page linked earlier on this page:

quote:

For those of you who felt sorry for him because he looked like a fricken ritard – this might be the reason whyL he was busted for using percoset, mushrooms and huffing “shoe cleaner” and nitrous oxide as well as dealing meth

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

New Leaf posted:

He died earlier this year in a military hospital from what I can tell.

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=40011&cpage=2

quote:

It is my sad and solemn duty to inform you all of the passing of Nickolas “Nick” Androsky, AKA Master Sergeant Soup Sandwich, on Saturday February 22, 2014. His brother emailed to tell us yesterday, along with a request that we remove the post about him. Of course, even if we were so inclined, Nick’s legacy is spread across the internet in a thousand forms, so I’m not disposed or inclined to comply with the family’s wishes

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

See bottom row on the right, the one that looks like a moose head? That's the airborne assault badge. Above and to the right is the parachutist badge, also called "jump wings." As mentioned, the blue rectangle with a wreath around it is for combat infantry. None of these are badges you would expect on a pencil-necked guy in an airforce uniform. This guy might as well claim to be an army submarine officer.

The ribbons are irrelevant, except that there's way too many of them for a guy his age and dumpiness.

I showed the image to my dad (A retired Air Force officer) and he pointed out that not only is he wearing the ribbons wrongly (You're not supposed to have gaps between the rows, and several are placed wrongly in regards to the others as the highest awards are worn at the top) he's also got a National Defense Service ribbon in there, otherwise known as the "Alive in '65" decoration. There is no possible way he could have earned that.

Edit: checking on-line reveals that it was re-issued for a time for the Persian Gulf war. Dude is still too young to have it, but he's got in there the NATO medal for service in Yugoslavia!

Red_October_7000 has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Apr 3, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I say...we let them win!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I like the Nazi ribbon/medal policy. They just kept upgrading the same medal until you had single-handedly won the war.

Medal:_____________________Requirement:
Iron Cross 2nd Class: ...................Destroyed a bunker/tank single-handedly.
Iron Cross 1st Class: ....................Destroyed several bunkers/tanks single-handedly.
Knight's Cross (MKI): ....................Killed or Destroyed 50 Allied/Soviet soldiers/tanks/planes.
Knight's Cross (MKII): ...................Killed or Destroyed 100 Allied/Soviet soldiers/tanks/planes.
Knight's Cross (MKIII): ..................Killed or Destroyed 300 Allied/Soviet soldiers/tanks/planes.
Knight's Cross (MKIV): ..................Same as above, but you also sunk a battleship.
Order of the Grand Cross: .............You're Hermann Göring.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Joan Pujol Garcia's medals trump all others. He was such a good spy during World War II he won medals on both sides, and may be the only person to have done so.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

univbee posted:

Joan Pujol Garcia's medals trump all others. He was such a good spy during World War II he won medals on both sides, and may be the only person to have done so.

Agreed.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

univbee posted:

Henry Ford

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ford got his medal because Hitler adored him and Ford's The International Jew was one of Hitler's favorite books. So he got it for being Henry Ford not for actually doing anything war related. He did make tanks and trucks and poo poo for both sides though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Blistex posted:

Henry Ford

Did he get one from the US? I know he got the Grand Order of the German Eagle, but I don't think he ever got a medal from the United States government.

• Locked thread