Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Just ask for urus in SG chat, someone is bound to have a spare.

Also complaining that you're getting too many uniques makes you the worst. :argh:

Just going to say that having 5/6 uniques for a guy despite 25+ total character unique drops is probably the worst part about this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Suprfli6 posted:

I asked last page but it wasn't answered- How does RIF/SIF work with chests? Should I swap into a RIF gear set before opening cosmic chests or will that not do anything? I know those stats have pretty minor impacts but it can't hurt (unless you believe the marvel forums which have numerous theories about stacking rif/sif actually hurting your drops...)

Nobody knows most likely, however I wouldn't worry too much about it, I doubt it would make much difference regardless. I do not think I have ever had a unique drop from a chest at the end of xdef.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Welp. It turns out that my worries about starting character viability were moot, because the game crashes/freezes on startup anyway.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Suprfli6 posted:

I've played for just over a week and also have a tab full of uru forgeds, half are 25 and half are 50. Granted I put a lot of hours in to take advantage of the reaper bonus but they're still very common.

I asked last page but it wasn't answered- How does RIF/SIF work with chests? Should I swap into a RIF gear set before opening cosmic chests or will that not do anything? I know those stats have pretty minor impacts but it can't hurt (unless you believe the marvel forums which have numerous theories about stacking rif/sif actually hurting your drops...)

You arent going to get an answer to this question for a few reasons.

1. chests in general do not drop decent loot. This includes cosmic chests. Outside of the ability to drop cosmic rings, they really dont drop anything good very often at all.

2. People dont want to lug around a separate set of equipment that will slow them down by having to switch every time a chest shows up. Most people either find/look for better gear that has the combat affixes as well as magic find affixes or you make do with what you have. Wearing RIF/SIF gear that isnt complete trash isnt going to slow your kill times by enough to warrant other gear unless its a good unique, in which case, just wear the unique.

and MOST IMPORTANTLY

3. Gazillion has not, and probably will not ever reveal how and to what extent RIF/SIF numbers affect loot drops. They will hint at things like "unique drop rates outside of xdef have been increased to match unique drop rates inside xdef" but they will never say exactly how things like difficulty levels/green-red-cosmic terminal levels, or boss/doop/chest pops affect drop rates. Almost all conversation involving loot drops is pure speculation based on anecdotal evidence, and a good deal of that is just voodoo backwater tinfoil stuff like people that claim rif does nothing at all. It's important to realize that people that claim to definitively know how RIF/SIF works are generally full of poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This game needs Diablo 3's streak breaker.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Also, even aside from the inventory room, there's no macros or hot-swaps for gear. If I could hit a button, and automatically swap out 3-4 pieces of gear, I might consider carrying different sets, but that's not the game they wanted to make, and so it's not really worth it to try and play it that way anyway.

I've only been playing about 2-3 weeks now, but you can zoom to level 60 with XP boosts and X-Def. I spent one Saturday playing the game (Trying, in vain, to get a goddamned Saturn Rune! :argh:) and took a brand new character from a random box from level 1 to level 60. And because X-Def spews loot like nobody's business, he was fully geared in decent poo poo, too.

If you only do story missions, I think it'll probably take you about 5-10 hours, and you'll end up about level 33-36~ish. If you pepper that with some X-Def here and there, things will go a lot quicker and easier, and you can probably finish the story in 4 hours, and end up level 45 or so.

If you take a new character into X-Def, boost them to level 40, and then waltz through the story missions only picking up the rewards that are worth it, it's like 2 hours tops. :v:

And to the dude who was griping about Uru, that one character that I took to 60 in about 10 hours? I sold at least a dozen Uru on him alone, and kept two pieces that dropped. Once he hit 48, Uru started dropping, and in 1-2 hours I had almost 15 pieces. I wasn't even boon-dogging it, I just used the standard blue and purple SIF/RIF boosts that the game gave out for free like a week ago. I got so drat tired at the end of hearing that chime, and then finding it was another Uru, and not a unique. :sigh:

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Suprfli6 posted:

Like others have said, I wouldn't bother swapping gears before opening the chest.

If I had to make a good guess on how chests function, the item drops are rolled the instant the chest is opened. Every player gets their own drop and people joining the party late after the chest was spawned would be too much to worry about if the items were rolled when the chest was created. Simplest solution is just roll when opened.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

This game needs Diablo 3's streak breaker.

That was one of the things on the big list of planned loot revisions.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I ran around with a RIF of like 400% on Saturday doing the boosted content and wasn't flooded with uniques or anything so I know that in practical purposes, an extra 50% RIF or whatever isn't going to make a huge difference, but if it's just a matter of right-clicking a few items in my inventory before opening the 3 chests at the end of a cosmic, I figure why not? With the 20 extra inventory spaces and another 30 when team-ups go live I can spare the space.

I asked this on the marvel board too and it's just derailed into the expected "RIF does nothing or maybe it even makes drops worse" stuff so I guess I'll just leave it at that.

I do think that I'll log cosmic chest drops just for the heck of it though. Supposedly item drops are a multi roll process, where each item tries to roll from white to green, then to blue, then epic, etc. and it seems like increasing your RIF and then comparing the number of green/blue/epic/cosmic/unique items should show something. It's just that most people concentrate solely on uniques and they are such a tiny drop percentage that trying to eyeball it doesn't accomplish anything.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I'd say RIF works, but having ran around with 4000% RIF and SIF from the Boongate, I'm fairly sure it doesn't actually do that much.

It'll get you more purples, artifacts, and gifts, but not much else.

It's confirmed to not do anything to improve the rolls of an item or make the item's affixes better, so whatever.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Ephemeron posted:

Welp. It turns out that my worries about starting character viability were moot, because the game crashes/freezes on startup anyway.

Are you getting any error messages? Try running it as an administrator.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I think the general consensus with RIF was that it has less effect the higher you go up the drop chain. Meaning, if you're running at 200% rif you're most likely getting a lot more blues than you would otherwise, and a fair amount more purple, then a little bit more cosmics and hardly any more uniques than you would have gotten at 0%. So if you're going for purple gear with a high rolled affix, like for example you want Luke Cage to have +36 credit find gear in slots 4 and 5, then finding blues you can upgrade and purples with +36 is something you want to shoot for. But if all you want is uniques then high rif is not worth wearing crappy gear with rif for.

The one thing that is pretty quantifiable is the eternity splinter drop rate because it can be averaged out and is consistent. I recall someone saying one guy ran crazy sif and over a long period the drop rate was only affected by like 30 seconds. So yeah that tells us that it's "working" but it's certainly not important.

edit: vv yes definitely. When I had over 1000% stacked I don't think I saw a single green. It's definitely working as intended, but I think a lot of people would appreciate uniques getting a timer like eternity splinters so if you're just really unlucky you know something will come along and break that streak eventually.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 2, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I saw RIF working pretty well during the Big Bada Boon. I had artifacts dropping like rain.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Suprfli6 posted:

Supposedly item drops are a multi roll process, where each item tries to roll from white to green, then to blue, then epic, etc. and it seems like increasing your RIF and then comparing the number of green/blue/epic/cosmic/unique items should show something. It's just that most people concentrate solely on uniques and they are such a tiny drop percentage that trying to eyeball it doesn't accomplish anything.

Well, in very broad, general terms, this is correct. Like every other ARPG, the type of item is determined, and then quality of that item is determined. The idea that green quality shows up more than blue quality shows up more than epic shows up more than cosmic shows up more than unique and increases are seen more visibly at lower loot qualities isnt new or groundbreaking.

Most people concentrate on uniques because A. lower quality loot isnt very important and B. for lower quality loot the trend is more obvious and less open to speculation.

I just dont think you are going to get results that contradict that. In the unlikely event you DO get results that contradict, most people will dismiss it as a small sample size anomaly. Long story short, I dont really see you getting much value out of all that work.

jubelio fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 2, 2014

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
The guy who either coded the loot system, or works with it as his job posted on the official forums in someones thread about loot how the rolling works.

IIRC it's like this: when a mob dies a roll check is made for each item being dropped. Your rif/sif are essentially check validations.

This is how I see this happening:
Item roll for white: 34. You have 784 and pass.
Item roll for green: 172. Pass.
Item roll for purple: 376. Pass.
Item roll for cosmic: 791. Fail. You get a purple item.

How he explained it, that's what the system sounds like it does for rolls. I could be wrong, which is possible, but that system at least makes sense for why something might not be a good drop. The numbers are apparently in a grouped system when you're with other people as well, and it seems like the roll checks are made on a round robin style rotation, which if true, is loving terrible, because my 800 rif benefits other people more often than it does me, so I'm basically buying boosts for pubbies to get uniques while I roll whites and poo poo from their numbers. That doesn't seem likely, but I wouldn't put it past them to think that's a smart system.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps

Aphrodite posted:

I saw RIF working pretty well during the Big Bada Boon. I had artifacts dropping like rain.

But did you get any of the rare ones? My suspicion is that each rarity class of any item type has different diminishing returns for RIF, with harsher diminishing returns for rarer classes. So with very high RIF, you might see 5X the number of "common" artifacts, but only 2X the number of "rare" artifacts, and only 1.1X the number of "epic" artifacts. It seems like everyone saw this behavior with equipment (i.e., unique drop rate seemed largely unaffected by huge RIF) and I think this was true for all item types.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrOgreface posted:

But did you get any of the rare ones? My suspicion is that each rarity class of any item type has different diminishing returns for RIF, with harsher diminishing returns for rarer classes. So with very high RIF, you might see 5X the number of "common" artifacts, but only 2X the number of "rare" artifacts, and only 1.1X the number of "epic" artifacts. It seems like everyone saw this behavior with equipment (i.e., unique drop rate seemed largely unaffected by huge RIF) and I think this was true for all item types.

Depends on what the rare ones are. I was running Midtown 90% of it, so I didn't have chances at HoD or GoK.

I got many of the bread and butter artifacts though. 2 Ziggurats, 2 PPS, some Kung Fus, like 4 ACCCs, Superconductors, Array etc.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Mileage always varies with this poo poo. For another set of anecdotal data I ran Ms Marvel from white to starter red prestige with 485% RIF, got about 20-25 uniques (so many boots and scarves to turn into money when I hit 60 again), and like one Uru, even running a reasonable amount of xdef. I definitely focused on LQs/terminals, though.

Giant piles of Uru aren't uncommon in the SG but it's not universal either. You really only need one per character, though, and they're tradeable, which are the key differentiators.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Newb question re: costume cores. Once you craft them into a costume, are they on that costume for good? Replaceable but not retrievable/swappable? My crafter's only lvl10 but only has a "Swap Affixes" option, does swap cores show up at higher craft level?

I got my first Costume Core earlier and can't decide if I should slap it on my stock Storm costume or break down and buy the 90s costume I've been wanting before I use the core. How rare are core drops anyway?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I don't know if you can transfer cores but once I got to level 45 or 50 or so I've started to get a lot more drops. I have 5 or 6 x-gene cores in my stash right now, and that's only the ones with mod combinations I actually might use (mostly RIF/SIF + whatever)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lawen posted:

Newb question re: costume cores. Once you craft them into a costume, are they on that costume for good? Replaceable but not retrievable/swappable? My crafter's only lvl10 but only has a "Swap Affixes" option, does swap cores show up at higher craft level?

I got my first Costume Core earlier and can't decide if I should slap it on my stock Storm costume or break down and buy the 90s costume I've been wanting before I use the core. How rare are core drops anyway?

Cores aren't rare at all. Good cores (three affixes, all useful) are rare.

Swap affixes also swaps cores.

You can't ever get the core back, though.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah, in the half hour since I posted I decided to try xdef and got 2 more cores, so they must not be too hard to find.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Well, I went all-in and bought the team-up pack for $19.49. Here's hoping that wasn't a mistake.

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

I'll add my anecdote to the RIF/SIF debate: I ran 96 total Cosmic Kurse terminals during the "Every terminal boss kill == 4x boss kills" event (effective 384 Kurse kills) with 385% RIF, which occurred after they buffed the drop rate on Gem of Kurse. I did not receive any artifacts of any kind, no uniques and maybe 4 cosmic rings in total. I also never saw a single green item.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm at work so I can't try for myself right now. How do builds actually work in this game? Is it like D3 where you can change everything anytime you're not in combat, or do you need to purchase respecs for in game cash/RL cash, or are there none at all?

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I'm at work so I can't try for myself right now. How do builds actually work in this game? Is it like D3 where you can change everything anytime you're not in combat, or do you need to purchase respecs for in game cash/RL cash, or are there none at all?

Respec pots drop rarely, are a quest reward that can be repeated once on each difficulty on each hero, and are also available in the cash shop. They are the only way to change build once you invest points.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Respecs are an item you can buy or find, but they're common enough that you will have plenty of extras by they time you are really worried about minmaxing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Basically you can't swap specs willy-nilly but accidentally putting points into a bad skill or not holding points back when you level up isn't the end of the world. (I do wish they'd have a dual-spec option so I could experiment with terrible builds like melee Hawkeye or mental Jean.)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

Cores aren't rare at all. Good cores (three affixes, all useful) are rare.

Swap affixes also swaps cores.

You can't ever get the core back, though.

This also applies to the Artifacts you use to add a Visual Effect to your costume.

Sometimes, I'd really like it if we could, at the very least, get back the Artifact. Ah well. It's not like the don't drop a lot. A lot.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A couple questions for those who play Squirrel Girl. Is her squirrel summoning passive a one point wonder? It looks like it scales rather poorly per point, but it's also her unique mechanic and will be constantly in play, so I'm debating whether to bother much with it while leveling or once I hit max.

Second question: I recall general consensus months ago was that was her melee options are bad. Is that still the case, should I ever be able to resist the siren call of hulkbuster squirrels?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 2, 2014

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

chumbler posted:

A couple questions for those who play Squirrel Girl. Is her squirrel summoning passive a one point wonder? It looks like it scales rather poorly per point, but it's also her unique mechanic and will be constantly in play, so I'm debating whether to bother much with it while leveling or once I hit max.

Second question: I recall general consensus months ago was that was her melee options are bad. Is that still the case, should I ever be able to resist the siren call of hulkbuster squirrels?

She's getting a pretty serious mini-overhaul soon (combining her 7 passives etc.), so there's no way to tell what her future holds. That said I max the squirrel proc passive (determines base damage for all her squirrel summons) and 1-point Sic 'Em.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
Had trouble getting a straight answer, does SG benefit from +pet damage? I play her pretty much completely ranged if that matters.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Hit 60 for the first time, threw three starter costumes into the grinder, and got Enhanced Lady Loki back. :toot:

Now I just need to farm the splinters for Loki.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Fishy Joe posted:

Had trouble getting a straight answer, does SG benefit from +pet damage? I play her pretty much completely ranged if that matters.

Yes, her squirrels benefit from pet damage. They also benefit from pet duration and pet attack speed, but pet health does nothing for them.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Is a core with life leech extremely rare or something? I don't think I've ever seen one with that affix yet.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

Respecs are an item you can buy or find, but they're common enough that you will have plenty of extras by they time you are really worried about minmaxing.

And your build is respecced for free whenever they do a big review change too.

I haven't bought a single one, barely bothered with the quest-line and I got like 17 respec potions sitting in my stash. Not exactly dropping like candy, but somewhat more common than uniques?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do respec potions blow away your whole build, then, or just piecemeal a la Path of Exile's Orbs of Regret?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
They reset all your points.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003

GeckoMissingo posted:

Is a core with life leech extremely rare or something? I don't think I've ever seen one with that affix yet.

They dont drop anymore. Life leech % is a relatively game-breaking affix which they have been nerfing and removing where ever they can. When asked, devs said the reason that LL cores dont drop anymore was that "the loot guy is on vacation." That was back in december or january.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They've actually said since that they're not coming back in that format.

• Locked thread