Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone have a collection of resources about why charter schools are not a solution to education problems, teachers unions aren't literally evil both in terms of taking public money and in terms of education quality, and replacing public education with vouchers will not fix anything?

In case you hadn't guessed I accidentally got into an argument with someone who turned out to be a true believer who is interning for an up and coming tea party state politician and whose family consists of right wing businesspeople. Not to win this argument, which is impossible, but for my own education.

Also is there a good overview of the budget problems in Wisconsin leading up to Walker's election, and the economic situation since then, or the budget surplus being built off a long term deficit? The more detailed the better.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

Does anyone have a collection of resources about why charter schools are not a solution to education problems, teachers unions aren't literally evil both in terms of taking public money and in terms of education quality, and replacing public education with vouchers will not fix anything?

In case you hadn't guessed I accidentally got into an argument with someone who turned out to be a true believer who is interning for an up and coming tea party state politician and whose family consists of right wing businesspeople. Not to win this argument, which is impossible, but for my own education.

I remember this study coming up in the last education discussion thread that had to deal with charter schools. It's pretty damning generally:

quote:

SUMMARY OF FINDINGS

Charter school performance is a complex and difficult matter to assess. Each of the three
analyses revealed distinct facets of charter school performance. In increasing levels of
aggregation, from the head‐to‐head comparisons within communities to the pooled national
analysis, the results are presented below.

When the effect of charter schools on student learning is compared to the experience the
students would have realized in their local traditional public schools, the result can be graphed in
a point‐in‐time Quality Curve that relates the average math growth in each charter school to the
performance their students would have realized in traditional public schools in their immediate
community, as measured by the experience of their virtual twins. The Quality Curve displays the
distribution of individual charter school performance relative to their TPS counterparts. A score
of “0” means there is no difference between the charter school performance and that of their
TPS comparison group. More positive values indicate increasingly better performance of
charters relative to traditional public school effects and negative values indicate that charter
school effects are worse than what was observed for the traditional public school effects.

The Quality Curve results are sobering:
• Of the 2403 charter schools reflected on the curve, 46 percent of charter schools have
math gains that are statistically indistinguishable from the average growth among their
TPS comparisons.
• Charters whose math growth exceeded their TPS equivalent growth by a significant
amount account for 17 percent of the total.
• The remaining group, 37 percent of charter schools, posted math gains that were
significantly below what their students would have seen if they enrolled in local
traditional public schools instead.

There's a lot more nuance to the subject than that small tidbit though. Education is a complicated subject that "more choice = better" doesn't immediately solve.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

A lot of the graphs in #2-4 in the OP don't seem to be there anymore?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Does anyone have that, plus the many, many missing images?

I AM JAMES FRANCO
Jul 23, 2008
Does anyone have any good readings or articles on the effect of gentrification?

I have a goof friend who argues that gentrification is overall good because it raises property prices for the folks already living there, who can then sell their home for a profit.

I've argued that it destroys the culture that rose out of those communities when the folks that built those culture are pretty much forced out of the community, but his take was that most neighborhoods that get gentrified are full of people who need the money for food/etc. More than culture.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I AM JAMES FRANCO posted:

Does anyone have any good readings or articles on the effect of gentrification?

I have a goof friend who argues that gentrification is overall good because it raises property prices for the folks already living there, who can then sell their home for a profit.

I've argued that it destroys the culture that rose out of those communities when the folks that built those culture are pretty much forced out of the community, but his take was that most neighborhoods that get gentrified are full of people who need the money for food/etc. More than culture.

You could point out that large numbers of people in the city are renters and hence wouldn't be able to sell their property.

Gentrification is sort of good though if you're looking at the (financial) health of the city rather than the well being of the inhabitants within the city.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's some research that says that "gentrification" (I put it in quotes because it's a loaded word with no definite meeting) actually benefits existing residents: http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/11/09/number-of-the-week-the-benefits-of-gentrification/

And if we don't want to force people out, just build enough housing so the new people can come in without displacing anybody!

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Are credit scores a useful metric for the effects of gentrification?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Don't forget about property taxes. When land values go up, taxes go up. If your home value grows but your income doesn't, you can literally be taxed out of your home.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
This might be out of this threads scope, but does anyone have any information on how to organize a democratically run business? Maybe an organization with resources? I'm in Colorado if that helps.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

down with slavery posted:

This might be out of this threads scope, but does anyone have any information on how to organize a democratically run business? Maybe an organization with resources? I'm in Colorado if that helps.

There's a goon who runs a co-op software programming company with 100 employees who butts in whenever we're talking about co-ops to give us some first-hand experience, if I could remember who it was I'd say ask them.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Couldn't you just organize it normally, but put important matters up to a vote of the employees? That would give you (presumably the founder) something akin to Queen's Assent, a check on democracy to be used never, but if poo poo really hits the fan it's there. I don't see why you need a special legal organization, or are you worried about your resolve to stick to your principles if the workers vote the wrong way?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

KernelSlanders posted:

Couldn't you just organize it normally, but put important matters up to a vote of the employees? That would give you (presumably the founder) something akin to Queen's Assent, a check on democracy to be used never, but if poo poo really hits the fan it's there. I don't see why you need a special legal organization, or are you worried about your resolve to stick to your principles if the workers vote the wrong way?

That's how it currently works, I would like some way to offer my employees/partners ownership in the company. Right now things are an LLC and my accountant wants to move to an S Corp which allows for me to split the shares and give them out, but I'd like to look at alternative business models (which I'm sure there are some orgs out there that help) or talk to someone with experience doing the same. I would like to create a structure in which everybody's well being is tied to the company and everyone feels like they are part owner. We've already agreed to a flat income and everybody is on board, it's just a matter of figuring out the right way to put it all in paper so that the worst case scenarios are all covered.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Ownership is tricky because it creates some legal responsibilities, particularly with an s-corp. There's a limit to the number of shareholders and requirements on citizenship and some other requirements. You can also get yourself in trouble with the IRS when you start calling payments that should be salary dividends and vice versa. It might be possible to use a two-tiered approach where the company (a standard subchapter s or c corp) is owned by a not-for-profit trust of some sort that operates for the benefit of the employees. We're now well beyond my expertise, but I'd be very interested to hear what you come up with.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I would look into a Worker's cooperative. I found some information about starting one here:

http://institute.usworker.coop/tools/for-worker-coops/start-ups

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

That's how it currently works, I would like some way to offer my employees/partners ownership in the company. Right now things are an LLC and my accountant wants to move to an S Corp which allows for me to split the shares and give them out, but I'd like to look at alternative business models (which I'm sure there are some orgs out there that help) or talk to someone with experience doing the same. I would like to create a structure in which everybody's well being is tied to the company and everyone feels like they are part owner. We've already agreed to a flat income and everybody is on board, it's just a matter of figuring out the right way to put it all in paper so that the worst case scenarios are all covered.

You should probably just use some informal "phantom equity" system that distributes profits among workers and legal ownership is held by one person. As other have mentioned, legal ownership is tricky, and you also have the practical problem that law firms and private investment banks have: how do new people afford to buy into your business? If your employees own the business, you can't give away their shares to a new employee, and if you fire somebody, you now have to cash them out.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Does anyone have a link to an old article about the hog farming industry in North Carolina? It was incredibly disturbing and got posted on here a few years ago in one of those reading recommendations threads.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Does anyone have a link to an old article about the hog farming industry in North Carolina? It was incredibly disturbing and got posted on here a few years ago in one of those reading recommendations threads.

Sounds like this one: Boss Hog: The Dark Side of America's Top Pork Producer

quote:

Smithfield's holding ponds – the company calls them lagoons – cover as much as 120,000 square feet. The area around a single slaughterhouse can contain hundreds of lagoons, some of which run thirty feet deep. The liquid in them is not brown. The interactions between the bacteria and blood and afterbirths and stillborn piglets and urine and excrement and chemicals and drugs turn the lagoons pink.

Even light rains can cause lagoons to overflow; major floods have transformed entire counties into pig-poo poo bayous. To alleviate swelling lagoons, workers sometimes pump the poo poo out of them and spray the waste on surrounding fields, which results in what the industry daintily refers to as "overapplication." This can turn hundreds of acres – thousands of football fields – into shallow mud puddles of pig poo poo. Tree branches drip with pig poo poo.

Some pig-farm lagoons have polyethylene liners, which can be punctured by rocks in the ground, allowing poo poo to seep beneath the liners and spread and ferment. Gases from the fermentation can inflate the liner like a hot-air balloon and rise in an expanding, accelerating bubble, forcing thousands of tons of feces out of the lagoon in all directions.

The lagoons themselves are so viscous and venomous that if someone falls in it is foolish to try to save him. A few years ago, a truck driver in Oklahoma was transferring pig poo poo to a lagoon when he and his truck went over the side. It took almost three weeks to recover his body. In 1992, when a worker making repairs to a lagoon in Minnesota began to choke to death on the fumes, another worker dived in after him, and they died the same death. In another instance, a worker who was repairing a lagoon in Michigan was overcome by the fumes and fell in. His fifteen-year-old nephew dived in to save him but was overcome, the worker's cousin went in to save the teenager but was overcome, the worker's older brother dived in to save them but was overcome, and then the worker's father dived in. They all died in pig poo poo.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

YES! Thank you so much. I spent hours looking for it and I was right that it was rolling stone. I knew it was either there or New York Times.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Anyone have anything comparing the longevity of conventional pollution (e.g. lakes of coal slurry) to that of nuclear waste?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
There's been 5k posts in the Eastern Europe thread since I last checked 2 weeks ago, what's happened? Russia finally invaded?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Anatharon posted:

There's been 5k posts in the Eastern Europe thread since I last checked 2 weeks ago, what's happened? Russia finally invaded?

Russia annexed Crimea and a whole bunch of other stuff is going down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Russia annexed Crimea and a whole bunch of other stuff is going down.

Including the acknowledgement that Putin's aids listen to Tupac.

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008
As somebody living in a hotbed of FYGM retirees and tax avoiders, I'm constantly reminded of the benevolence of Small Business Job Creators and how they are the sole reason for society's continued existence. Does anybody have info/studies on the myths surrounding the actual effects of small businesses have on the economy? Google keeps spitting out propaganda at me and one Forbes editorial that "debunks" small businesses' importance without a shred of data or evidence.

Bonus for anything that deals with "small business make up 50% of the U.S. economy" or how increasing the minimum wage will cause every small business to be destroyed overnight as the price of everything immediately inflates to make up the entire difference.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Small business making up 50% of the economy relies on some quite generous definitions of small business. The term sounds like it should be like old Uncle Joe's Shop with 5 employees, but depending on the specific industry/commercial area involved a "small business" can have up to $35.5 million in annual receipts and 1500 employees, and many sectors put the limit around $16 million annual receipts and 1000 employees.

Additionally, many franchisees of large chains themselves count as small businesses, despite clearly being a part of an overall megabusiness and reliant on the chain's existence to run their own small enterprises.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Install Windows posted:

Small business making up 50% of the economy relies on some quite generous definitions of small business. The term sounds like it should be like old Uncle Joe's Shop with 5 employees, but depending on the specific industry/commercial area involved a "small business" can have up to $35.5 million in annual receipts and 1500 employees, and many sectors put the limit around $16 million annual receipts and 1000 employees.

Additionally, many franchisees of large chains themselves count as small businesses, despite clearly being a part of an overall megabusiness and reliant on the chain's existence to run their own small enterprises.

Yep, also based on this sheet of the ~28 million small businesses, 21 million of those are "non-employers" (or businesses that are solely run by the owner). Franchises make up about 9% of the rest, although I don't know if that would count stuff like car dealerships.

e: Defining "small business" as "something that employs up to 500 people".

e2: Based on their Most recent data it appears that the non-employers have gone up to about 22 million.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 26, 2014

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
Is there a good general-purpose response to the "If we screw over the rich, they'll screw us over harder" meme? I know of specific responses; raising the minimum wage wouldn't raise prices that much, and the cost of unpaid OT is currently paid by workers, which might work if you generalize it out to other externalized costs, but I don't know of a good one for "if we raise their taxes, they'll raise their prices". Possibly noting that only the 1% can get away with that kind of thing, which is unacceptable. I can't tell my boss that since he's paying me less, I'm going to work less.

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

Is there a good general-purpose response to the "If we screw over the rich, they'll screw us over harder" meme? I know of specific responses; raising the minimum wage wouldn't raise prices that much, and the cost of unpaid OT is currently paid by workers, which might work if you generalize it out to other externalized costs, but I don't know of a good one for "if we raise their taxes, they'll raise their prices". Possibly noting that only the 1% can get away with that kind of thing, which is unacceptable. I can't tell my boss that since he's paying me less, I'm going to work less.

They'll screw you over no matter what, because they don't have a choice in most cases*. If one competitor delivers lower prices through lower wages, and starts getting all of the new investment and expanding, other business must cut pay and benefits to stay in the game. If profitability falls, they'll try to save money by lobbying against social services and taxes. You can be nice to them, give them tax breaks and subsidies and long hours for low pay, and they'll still screw you over. So why not fight back and win some gains for yourself?

Historically that's been the only successful response: where do you think weekends, sick days, and safety inspections came from? Not from the bosses.

*waah my favourite niche wholesaler catering to a shrinking number of upper middle class people totally disproves this general rule

OwlBot 2000 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 2, 2014

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

darthbob88 posted:

"Why weren't they doing it already?"

That's even the formal-econ answer to why businesses won't change prices in response to a (lump-sum/profit) tax. They like money. If raising prices would get them more money, they'd have done it years ago.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

falcon2424 posted:

"Why weren't they doing it already?"

That's even the formal-econ answer to why businesses won't change prices in response to a (lump-sum/profit) tax. They like money. If raising prices would get them more money, they'd have done it years ago.

That's not strictly true, though. A business might raise prices to protect its cash flow in response to a tax increase even if that decreases its total revenue. Which it might not, because if every business in a market faces a similar cost increase there's less to be gained by taking the hit in the margins to gain market share and so less likelyhood that you'll lose business to competition by passing the cost along. It could be that your customers don't have the money to buy what they were buying and/or won't stand for it, but maybe they do/will. It depends on your market.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

quote:

If we screw over the rich, they'll screw us over harder"

Sounds like appeasement.

quote:

if we raise their taxes, they'll raise their prices

Any decent businessperson is going to set prices to maximize profits. Raising prices to "punish" the voters is a great way to have your competitors eat up your market share. Market equilibrium prices are influenced by a number of factors and tax rates are certainly one (especially taxes on consumers for goods with highly elastic demand). However, it's hard to imagine a bump in marginal tax rates on the shareholders of a company is going to have much impact, especially if we mean a bump in taxes on earned incomes since that wouldn't even change after-tax value of a dividend. If anything, luxury good manufacturers would have to lower their prices.

quote:

I can't tell my boss that since he's paying me less, I'm going to work less.

Well you can, but this will likely end poorly for you for the same reason raising prices is going to end poorly for the business -- you'll just get undercut by the market.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

KernelSlanders posted:

Well you can, but this will likely end poorly for you for the same reason raising prices is going to end poorly for the business -- you'll just get undercut by the market.

(Assuming perfect information for all other market actors)

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I've been engaging in a guilty pleasure and have been debating a libertarian on facebook. Right now he's saying that, if it weren't for government intervention and the meddling of powerful financial institutions, prices on all products across the board would be lower than they were 50 years ago as a result of technological improvements. Therefore the minimum wage doesn't need to be increased (and in fact should be abolished to allow companies to hire barely-employable people like the rural elderly as walmart greeters for 2 bucks an hour, but he's been arguing that to someone else and I haven't dipped into that thread yet) because the problem is that prices are higher than they should be. In a Truly Free Economy™, increased wealth through tech means that products can be made the same way at greater volumes for less money and companies compete with each other to keep prices low.

I know that this is one of those basic microeconomic assumptions that don't actually hold up in the real world, but my brain is a bit fried right now and I can't seem to put the right terms into google to find supporting evidence against that argument. He uses the example of smartphones and computers, which I already plan to point out as a unique case when compared to goods as a whole.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
A libertarian upset over a corporation acting in it's own interest? Shocked.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Libertarianism is a one trick pony of arguments 'government exclusively creates monopoly conditions which allows businesses to make excess profits and that's why everything isn't perfect right now'. All companies will try to increase prices to maximise their profits at all times and often succeed without government intervention, competition fails and monopolies exist without government action all the time. Technological development is a distraction from this because production isn't organised to encourage making everything cheap and available for everyone.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

wateroverfire posted:

That's not strictly true, though. A business might raise prices to protect its cash flow in response to a tax increase even if that decreases its total revenue. Which it might not, because if every business in a market faces a similar cost increase there's less to be gained by taking the hit in the margins to gain market share and so less likelyhood that you'll lose business to competition by passing the cost along. It could be that your customers don't have the money to buy what they were buying and/or won't stand for it, but maybe they do/will. It depends on your market.

Can you walk me through this? I'm not sure I'm following. Are you sure you're looking at a tax on net-income rather than gross-receipts?

As I'd see it, I could ask my accountant (or staff economist) to make me a spreadsheet of expected net-income for various prices. It seems like I'd just pick the price that gets me the best pre-tax revenue. Even if my take-home only ends up being 45% of that, I want to make sure I'm getting 45% of the biggest number possible.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Enjoy posted:

(Assuming perfect information for all other market actors)

It doesn't have to be perfect, just good enough. In this case, the information has to be good enough for the employer to know someone else will do the employee's job at a lower price.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Zenzirouj posted:

I've been engaging in a guilty pleasure and have been debating a libertarian on facebook. Right now he's saying that, if it weren't for government intervention and the meddling of powerful financial institutions, prices on all products across the board would be lower than they were 50 years ago as a result of technological improvements. Therefore the minimum wage doesn't need to be increased (and in fact should be abolished to allow companies to hire barely-employable people like the rural elderly as walmart greeters for 2 bucks an hour, but he's been arguing that to someone else and I haven't dipped into that thread yet) because the problem is that prices are higher than they should be. In a Truly Free Economy™, increased wealth through tech means that products can be made the same way at greater volumes for less money and companies compete with each other to keep prices low.

I know that this is one of those basic microeconomic assumptions that don't actually hold up in the real world, but my brain is a bit fried right now and I can't seem to put the right terms into google to find supporting evidence against that argument. He uses the example of smartphones and computers, which I already plan to point out as a unique case when compared to goods as a whole.

Even in Libertarian land, the cost of some thing is the cost of the raw materials plus the cost of transforming them into the thing. As production technology advances, the cost of that transformation will likely go down. Consequently for intricately manufactured items that are made from cheap raw materials (like microprocessors that are basically sand and some aluminum) prices will likely decrease over time. However, if the raw materials are a limited resource (like steel or oil) that is consumed over time, the eventual decrease in supply will cause prices to increase due to standard market forces.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

falcon2424 posted:

Can you walk me through this? I'm not sure I'm following. Are you sure you're looking at a tax on net-income rather than gross-receipts?

As I'd see it, I could ask my accountant (or staff economist) to make me a spreadsheet of expected net-income for various prices. It seems like I'd just pick the price that gets me the best pre-tax revenue. Even if my take-home only ends up being 45% of that, I want to make sure I'm getting 45% of the biggest number possible.

In practice the revenue-maximizing pricing strategy for your company is contingent on your competitors' pricing and what the market is willing to pay. So depending on your particular market, it could be the case that you could all make more money if only everyone raised prices together. That's not going to be universally true but it will be often enough.

Now, coordinating is hard both because it's illegal and because your competitors are greedy bastards who can't be trusted. But a tax increase provides the perfect circumstance by raising costs for everyone.

A tax on net income is still a cost because of the way it impacts your cash flow. A business pays estimated taxes monthly or quarterly and sets a certain amount of cash aside for that purpose. When that estimated tax bill goes up the provision for taxes must also go up and the result is that less cash is available to pay for other things. So if taxes on your net revenue go up, the practical effect is that your monthly costs go up as well.

Does that make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zenzirouj posted:

[citation needed]

It's complete bullshit, but more importantly it's completely unfalsifiable. There's no way you will convince him it's not true.

• Locked thread