Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

cruft posted:

That's pretty catchy, you should get in touch with the state tourism department.
"At least we're not Mississippi" is already Alabama's unofficial state motto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp
Wrong thread

Finnin fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 2, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Are you Kirk Johnson, cause otherwise I ain't impressed.

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.
I live in Mississippi so I'm uniquely qualified to say that Mississippi is an incredible steaming pile of poo poo, but at least it isn't Uganda.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

Kiyanis posted:

I live in Mississippi so I'm uniquely qualified to say that Mississippi is an incredible steaming pile of poo poo, but at least it isn't Uganda.
Well hello there, fellow Buffy-avatar-haver! Do you have plans to leave Mississippi as soon as loving possible?

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

queertea posted:

Well hello there, fellow Buffy-avatar-haver! Do you have plans to leave Mississippi as soon as loving possible?

Without hesitation.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I haven't seen it on the last two pages, but check out Oklahoma's new line of argument at http://bigstory.ap.org/article/lawyers-marriage-procreation-potential.

quote:

Lawyers for Smith argued that marriage is about furthering "potentially procreative sexual relationships into stable unions" rather than recognizing the love and commitment of two people.

That's one hell of an argument :cripes:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

I haven't seen it on the last two pages, but check out Oklahoma's new line of argument at http://bigstory.ap.org/article/lawyers-marriage-procreation-potential.

How many times have they've tried this argument? How many times has it failed miserably?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Are you a straight couple? Yes? Awesome.

You love each other?? That's great, but completely irrelevant.

So, do(es) your ovaries/womb/testes work?

...No?!

:frogout:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pyrolocutus posted:

quote:

Lawyers for Smith argued that marriage is about furthering "potentially procreative sexual relationships into stable unions" rather than recognizing the love and commitment of two people.

In support of which they cited Loving v. Virgina. :ironicat:

Since I've had a vasectomy and my kids are grown, does this mean I have to get a divorce?

e:

The brief posted:

They (plaintiffs) reduce marriage from an institution that exists to benefit children and society, and relegate it to a mere stamp through which the government approves loving, emotional unions between adult couples

Yeah, gently caress the idea of loving, emotional unions between adult couples as an individual and social good.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 2, 2014

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

some moron posted:

They (plaintiffs) reduce marriage from an institution that exists to benefit children

You could make child support an obligation in the absence of marriage (and you can have unmarried couples take care of children in lieu of formal marriage), so I'm not sure what marriage per se has to do with that...? :confused:

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 3, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

joat mon posted:

Since I've had a vasectomy and my kids are grown, does this mean I have to get a divorce?

Obviously not, you're straight. That provision would only apply to homosexuals, duh. :rolleye

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

joat mon posted:

Ha ha ha, oh no no no. Of course not, that would be silly.

I think they just *shoot* you.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Ha ha ha, oh no no no. Of course not, that would be silly.

I think they just *shoot* you.

I don't think I much care for the liberties they're taking with this new version of Logan's Run.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBiAtwQZnHs

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't think I much care for the liberties they're taking with this new version of Logan's Run.

A gay panic infused remake of Logan's Run would be amazing, oh my god.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
So if the bill is passed, the state of Mississippi will protect the Sharia Law, right? Awesome.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So that's what they've been reduced to? They're no longer even arguing against homosexuality. I think it says a lot about equality opponents when they with a straight face can argue that marriage has nothing to do with love.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

KennyMan666 posted:

So that's what they've been reduced to? They're no longer even arguing against homosexuality. I think it says a lot about equality opponents when they with a straight face can argue that marriage has nothing to do with love.

If they really believed that, they'd be arranging marriages.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wid posted:

So if the bill is passed, the state of Mississippi will protect the Sharia Law, right? Awesome.

Yeah, it means Muslim shop owners can refuse to serve infidels, right? This is the kind of thing that needs a kickstarter, to be honest.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah, it means Muslim shop owners can refuse to serve infidels, right? This is the kind of thing that needs a kickstarter, to be honest.

Wasn't it a vogue thing a few years ago to pass a bunch of 'anti-sharia' laws?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pfirti86 posted:

It's still going on I think

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Pfirti86 posted:

They passed that in Oklahoma but it got smacked down by the courts and was never implemented.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Would this type of law also allow doctors and pharmacists to refuse service to anti abortion crusaders, or a locksmith to refuse service to gun regulation advocates? The stupid things it might allow are pretty scary, honestly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Would this type of law also allow doctors and pharmacists to refuse service to anti abortion crusaders, or a locksmith to refuse service to gun regulation advocates? The stupid things it might allow are pretty scary, honestly.

I am not as familiar with the medical law as I should be but I believe that doctors can only refuse to treat someone on religious grounds if there is someone else that can do it instead. In other words you can't just let someone bleed out because you disagree with their lifestyle.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am not as familiar with the medical law as I should be but I believe that doctors can only refuse to treat someone on religious grounds if there is someone else that can do it instead. In other words you can't just let someone bleed out because you disagree with their lifestyle.

drat. Looks like I'm going to have to re-file a LOT of paperwork.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I guarantee the ACLU or someone has a legal challenge to this law waiting to be sent off (should the governor sign it) before the ink even dries.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 3, 2014

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I guarantee the ACLU or someone has a legal challenge to this law waiting to be sent off (should the governor sign it) before the ink even dries.

Well today (or yesterday) is their lucky day! The Governor of Mississippi says he is going to sign the bill into law. I just know the law is going to be beaten to a bloody pulp in the courts, that is going to be amazing to witness. :unsmigghh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Well this is interesting. Due to the anti-Firefox backlash that formed due to his $1000 contribution in support of Prop 8, Brendan Eich has stepped down as Mozilla CEO:

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/03/brendan-eich-steps-down-as-mozilla-ceo/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

univbee posted:

Well this is interesting. Due to the anti-Firefox backlash that formed due to his $1000 contribution in support of Prop 8, Brendan Eich has stepped down as Mozilla CEO:

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/04/03/brendan-eich-steps-down-as-mozilla-ceo/

I think this is pretty huge: in a decade opposing marriage equality has gone from something everyone but liberal taxachussets did to only vaguely less acceptable socially than talking about how wonderful jim crow was. A CEO losing his job over something like this is huge.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

staticman posted:

Well today (or yesterday) is their lucky day! The Governor of Mississippi says he is going to sign the bill into law. I just know the law is going to be beaten to a bloody pulp in the courts, that is going to be amazing to witness. :unsmigghh:

Well then I can't wait for sexual orientation to get suspect classification. Thanks in advance Mississippi!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Here's the actual brief, if anyone's interested:

http://ftpcontent2.worldnow.com/ktul/documents/20140402gay_marriage_brief.pdf

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

univbee posted:

Wait, when did this dude donate? Why is the first time I'm hearing of anti-firefox backlash? Have I been living under a rock? What the gently caress.

:psyduck:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DOOP posted:

Wait, when did this dude donate? Why is the first time I'm hearing of anti-firefox backlash? Have I been living under a rock? What the gently caress.

:psyduck:

He was only the CEO very briefly (just over a week) and Mozilla was getting publicly slammed because of his Proposition 8 donation. It hit critical mass a few days ago because visitors of OKCupid who used Firefox got this page starting a few days ago:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm not really sure how to respond to that. Did the guy do anything other than give money to Prop 8 six years ago? I mean, it was wrong for him to do that, but for it to suddenly resurface days after his appointment seems weird.

VVV Ah, there was something to confirm it recently. That makes more sense.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 4, 2014

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm not really sure how to respond to that. Did the guy do anything other than give money to Prop 8 six years ago? I mean, it was wrong for him to do that, but for it to suddenly resurface days after his appointment seems weird.

I think someone in some interview brought it up and asked if he would do it again now. He basically dodged the question instead of flat out saying no.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think it's been known for a while, but no one cared when he was CTO. It became a point of contention when he became CEO.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Yeah, he didn't come off well in that interview.

quote:

CNET: Is there some point at which the damage that is actually done to Mozilla and Firefox means it would be worth it for you to make a public statement directly in support of gay marriage rights, or to resign? Is the mission threatened to that degree?

Eich: I am CEO, and I'm confident I am the best person for the job right now. I serve at the board's pleasure. If that should change, I'll do something else. I don't think it's good for my integrity or Mozilla's integrity to be pressured into changing a position. If Mozilla became more exclusive and required more litmus tests, I think that would be a mistake that would lead to a much smaller Mozilla, a much more fragmented Mozilla.

We have a strong Indonesian community. We're developing Firefox OS to go into market there. I have people there on the other side of this particular issue. They don't bring it into Mozilla when they work in the Mozilla community. I met a lot of them at Mozcamp 2012 in Singapore. They don't have quite the megaphone in that part of the world. But the Mozilla mission and our inclusiveness principles really must matter to include them too.

[...]

CNET: If you had the opportunity to donate to a Proposition 8 cause today, would you do so?

Eich: I hadn't thought about that. It seems that's a dead issue. I don't want to answer hypotheticals. Separating personal beliefs here is the real key here. The threat we're facing isn't to me or my reputation, it's to Mozilla.

CNET: You haven't really explicitly laid it out, so I'll just ask you: how do you feel gay-marriage rights? How did you feel about it in 2008, and how do you feel about it today?

Eich: I prefer not to talk about my beliefs. One of the things about my principles of inclusiveness is not just that you leave it at the door, but that you don't require others to put targets on themselves by labeling their beliefs, because that will present problems and will be seen as divisive.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

He became CEO which made people care, and then when asked about it in an interview he didn't rule out continuing to donate to anti-marriage equality funds, which escalated the matter. The final blow was OKCupid publicly providing alternative web browsers on its site over the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sweeney Tom posted:

The final blow was OKCupid publicly providing alternative web browsers on its site over the issue.

I find it pretty :3: that a company in the love biz led this one. (Big Love?)

• Locked thread