Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Krispy Kareem posted:

I found the computer in the newspaper classifieds though. Now that's a whole bucket of obsolete.

You'd be surprised, that's how I found my car a couple years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Along the lines of a specific item: Universal remotes.

I go out, I find one I REALLY like at a nice price, get it configured with all my stuff. Then, a few years later I update something and lo and behold: It's not compatible. Even learning remotes I've bought in the last 5 or 6 years won't learn a lot of buttons from new devices like BD players.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

(Nah, gently caress that noise, this ain't the PYF BALLER FUCKIN' RIDE thread. Look at this pimp-rear end sedan)

Not pictured: the Type R decal I put on the back glass

My family for some reason bought two of these (1991 and 92 Dodge Spirits), and handed them down to me well after their prime. Pieces of poo poo, but I still miss the V6 power now that I'm driving a 100hp Mazda.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

leidend posted:

My family for some reason bought two of these (1991 and 92 Dodge Spirits), and handed them down to me well after their prime. Pieces of poo poo, but I still miss the V6 power now that I'm driving a 100hp Mazda.

It must have been their awesome advertising campaigns.

Because :words:

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Krispy Kareem posted:

lol @ that last line. The idea of fitting six people into a Dodge Spirit is the ridiculous thing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm trying to find evidence of this, and I can't, but I'm sure I tried it at least once.

I could have sworn in the late 90s Yahoo had some short-lived automated telephone e-mail checking thing that you were assigned a numeric ID code and a pass code and you could dial an 800 number and I think it would 'read' new e-mails to you over the phone or tell you if you had new emails waiting.

No evidence but you are correct. I know because I used it as a kid to check my email on road trips from payphones (shut up). It all worked out great until a cop ran up to me and started yelling at me because he thought I was prank calling 911.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Captain Trips posted:

lol @ that last line. The idea of fitting six people into a Dodge Spirit is the ridiculous thing.

Were corporations people back then? Because I remember the Spirit and you could maybe fit 3 people and a stack of paperwork in there.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

blugu64 posted:

No evidence but you are correct. I know because I used it as a kid to check my email on road trips from payphones (shut up). It all worked out great until a cop ran up to me and started yelling at me because he thought I was prank calling 911.

How did he come to that conclusion?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

You'd be surprised, that's how I found my car a couple years ago.

I actually found my (cheap for the area) apartment in the newspaper classifieds. Of course you can look at the classifieds online on the local paper's website soooo

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Lowen SoDium posted:

How did he come to that conclusion?

They had received a prank 911 call from that rest stop, and I was a kid on a payphone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I think one of our Spirits had an extra wide armrest in the front and that was somehow considered the sixth seat even though pre-pubescent me had trouble fitting in it.

Edit: must be thinking of a different car after Google image searching. But as a side note I remember my dad preferring this colour and even in the early 90s I had the sense to plead for the grey interior.

Choices in interior car colour is definitely an obsolete tech.

UnfortunateSexFart has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Apr 2, 2014

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

leidend posted:

Edit: must be thinking of a different car after Google image searching. But as a side note I remember my dad preferring this colour and even in the early 90s I had the sense to plead for the grey interior.

Hey, it was a bloodier time.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It looks like every grandparent car I've ever seen. I can even smell it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh but also making the gearshift knob that gross wine-burgundy color would have just been too much. Might be a replacement, I guess.

Mother had a car with this interior when I was like 5 and that thing was hotter than hell in the summer.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

leidend posted:

I think one of our Spirits had an extra wide armrest in the front and that was somehow considered the sixth seat even though pre-pubescent me had trouble fitting in it.

Choices in interior car colour is definitely an obsolete tech.

I think that the buckets were an option and that the standard front seat was a bench, and the shifter was on the steering column. Theoretically, the bench sat 3 people, making the car a 6-seater.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Oh gently caress, I'd forgotten about the (terrible) flappy-lidded storage compartment below the ashtray.

And the ashtray.

Still, it was a decent college car. Great engine power and fuel efficiency, space for your friends/moving poo poo, and it only ran me $500 when I bought it. Insurance for it was dirt cheap, too.

The speakers were pretty good, and the old lady I bought it from still had the stereo demo cassette that came with it. One side was a narrator saying something along the lines of "Thank you for purchasing a car with a STEREO SOUND SYSTEM" and had tones to test the balance and fade.

The other side, though, had loving Kenny Loggins's "Highway to the Danger Zone" and Gloria Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine's "Conga" on it :rock:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Fuel efficiency was not good. :colbert: I'd agree with the stereo though, I was pumping that 90s rap all day every day

Arrath posted:

It looks like every grandparent car I've ever seen. I can even smell it.

I was still driving that Spirit when I met my wife in 2003 and she probably wouldn't be my wife if it was that colour.

Although I did manage to total it on this bridge on our second date and she stuck with me so maybe

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Ah, more obsolete car tech and comfort.

In the 1950s, performance took a back seat to cruising in style- if you wanted performance, you bought a car without a back seat, like a first generation Thunderbird or C1/2 Corvette. Options that hadn't been possible just years earlier were now making their way into production cars, even economy makes like Ford and Chevy. Automatic transmissions, with names like Powerglide, Hydramatic, Dynaflow, Cruise-O-Matic and Torque-Flite made their way into cars. Two and three tone interiors and exteriors were all the rage. Tilting steering columns, bucket seats, cruise control,air conditioning, tachometers, power steering, power brakes and even power-retracting hardtops became available. These technologies and creature comforts have been refined and are now commonplace in modern cars. Not all of the ideas that Detroit and Madison Avenue dreamed up made it out of the mid-century, though. Here are some of them:

1955 Ford Fairlane Crown Victoria Sunliner

"Glass Top Vicky" was Ford's top-range car for 1955. The roof forward of the B-pillar was a tinted acrylic glass panel, which acted as a sunroof. Initially it made a splash but eventually, it proved unpopular. It made the occupants of the car look a sickly shade of green, and the styling required a B-pillar when pillarless hardtops were gaining popularity. Particularly in warmer climates, it acted as a literal greenhouse and made the interior of the car very hot. It taxed the DC generator powered air conditioning systems of the day, and Ford hastily introduced a snap-in sunshade. This concept was dropped after this year, and the Sunliner name was given to Ford's convertibles.

Mercury's "Breezeway" Rear Window

This rear-slanted rear window could slide open under the overhand to provide additional ventilation. It was offered in various iterations from 1957 to 1968. Given how awful it looked, along with the rest of the painfully garish Mercurys of the era, it was no surprise that competing Oldsmobile outsold them roughly 7:1. Except the fastback 1963-64 Marauder, that is a fine example of full-size muscle :colbert:

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm trying to find evidence of this, and I can't, but I'm sure I tried it at least once.

I could have sworn in the late 90s Yahoo had some short-lived automated telephone e-mail checking thing that you were assigned a numeric ID code and a pass code and you could dial an 800 number and I think it would 'read' new e-mails to you over the phone or tell you if you had new emails waiting.

Is this it?

I could not find any pictures on the internet so I just took one myself. This device is called the "Rooster", apparently. It has two jacks in the bottom for plugging into your modem and phone line. This particular one belongs to my coworker, and the way he describes it working is that you would "register" the device with your ISP, and then whenever a new email reached your address, the ISP would send a special call....tone?, or pulse (or something) to your home phone line, which would get picked up by the Rooster, which would increment the displayed number by 1 to tell you how many unread emails are in your inbox. I think it also makes a sound whenever you get a new email.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a more obsolete and useless 90's technology than this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Speaking of obsolete car tech do cars still come with vinyl seats? I can remember as a kid wearing shorts in the Summer and then having my flesh practically melt onto the rear seats of our lead sled. I was happy when cloth/mouse-fur became the basic option for car seats.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Speaking of obsolete car tech do cars still come with vinyl seats? I can remember as a kid wearing shorts in the Summer and then having my flesh practically melt onto the rear seats of our lead sled. I was happy when cloth/mouse-fur became the basic option for car seats.
I know at least Mercedes and BMW offer leatherette interiors, so there must have been some improvements along the way.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GWBBQ posted:

I know at least Mercedes and BMW offer leatherette interiors, so there must have been some improvements along the way.

Whenever I rent a F-250 from the Home Depot they have pleather seats, so it must be an option somewhere.

Interior plastics from before the 90's are certainly obsolete. Nothing better than your dashboard cracking. Oh, let's put a carpet cover over it to make it look BETTER!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Interior plastics from before the 90's are certainly obsolete. Nothing better than your dashboard cracking. Oh, let's put a carpet cover over it to make it look BETTER!

Reminds me of car bras:

Which I know are still a "thing" but I don't see them now nearly as much as I did in the 90's.

But it's the same philosophy.
"Well, I don't want the front of my car to get dinged up and ruined from rocks, gravel, road dust, etc...so I'll put a giant, ugly, black tarp over it so it stays in perfect condition for all the times I never get to see it."

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Do all American cars have a big wing nut on the ignition barrel? Do you guys break a lot of keys or something?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Krispy Kareem posted:

58 out of 100 people chose this car over our competitor.

I mean, that's nice they're being probably honest, but talk about a soft-sell.

Fozaldo posted:

Do all American cars have a big wing nut on the ignition barrel? Do you guys break a lot of keys or something?

Sometimes it helps just to give you a bit more surface area to grip onto for leverage :shobon:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

"Well, I don't want the front of my car to get dinged up and ruined from rocks, gravel, road dust, etc...so I'll put a giant, ugly, black tarp over it so it captures a bunch of grit, leaves, and dead bugs, grinding the paint and rusting the metal"

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Fozaldo posted:

Mine looks like this

But I'm a bit too far north to be American and no one buys Mazda 2s there.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Fozaldo posted:

Yeah, right? Fuckin retards.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Pneub posted:

Yeah, right? Fuckin retards.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

leidend posted:

Mine looks like this

But I'm a bit too far north to be American and no one buys Mazda 2s there.

The Mazda 2 is not an American car.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Our enormous ham hands slick with Crisco have a hard time turnin' them there tiny keys OK!!?

It may be a safety measure tied in with making the barrel harder to turn.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Our enormous ham hands slick with Crisco have a hard time turnin' them there tiny keys OK!!?

It may be a safety measure tied in with making the barrel harder to turn.

Turn? My ham hands just need to push a button.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

atomicthumbs posted:

The Mazda 2 is not an American car.

I assumed the poster was referring to cars sold in America since they tend to be customized for the local market no matter where they are made.

Mazda 2s are often made in Mexico but no one's gonna call it a Mexican car.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

leidend posted:

"ewwww granite countertops, that's a deal breaker."

Not sure where you are so can't comment too much but granite tops have been more than a little passe for a least 10 years now. You're looking for Corian and reconstituted stones in modern kitchens, through to solid timbers for more traditional country bumpkin ones.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

Sometimes it helps just to give you a bit more surface area to grip onto for leverage :shobon:
that was probably it ... the only ( domestic ) cars I've seen 'ignition wings' on were early 90s and before, without chipped keys that had a big chunk of plastic at the head.

I suppose keys are turning into obsolete technology for cars. My first car had separate keys for the ignition, doors, and trunk. Now I have a car with a remote for the locks/trunk and an ignition key. If I get a new car I could end up with a little nub that'll let me push a button to start the car as long as I'm in/near it, no keys involved.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

triple clutcher posted:

that was probably it ... the only ( domestic ) cars I've seen 'ignition wings' on were early 90s and before, without chipped keys that had a big chunk of plastic at the head.

I suppose keys are turning into obsolete technology for cars. My first car had separate keys for the ignition, doors, and trunk. Now I have a car with a remote for the locks/trunk and an ignition key. If I get a new car I could end up with a little nub that'll let me push a button to start the car as long as I'm in/near it, no keys involved.

Clarkson had an interesting take on those nubs on Top Gear a couple years back. You get out of the car, close the door, and it locks as you walk away. But then you think "Did that really work? Is it locked?" so you walk back to check, and the door unlocks as you walk up to it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aargh posted:

Not sure where you are so can't comment too much but granite tops have been more than a little passe for a least 10 years now. You're looking for Corian and reconstituted stones in modern kitchens, through to solid timbers for more traditional country bumpkin ones.

On House Hunters on HGTV (a very popular American show that has new episodes weekly) you can almost guarantee you'll hear the buyer(s) say they want "granite countertops and stainless steel appliances" and comment negatively on any kitchen that isn't at least quartz. Not saying it's the latest trend, but the most influential home buying show is still trying to make it sound like it's granite or nothing. Personally I've never liked granite, too busy.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Trips posted:

Clarkson had an interesting take on those nubs on Top Gear a couple years back. You get out of the car, close the door, and it locks as you walk away. But then you think "Did that really work? Is it locked?" so you walk back to check, and the door unlocks as you walk up to it.

These days I solve it by having non-functional door locks. Anything I don't want stolen goes in the trunk, although I wouldn't expect people stealing poo poo from my car in general.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

leidend posted:

Fuel efficiency was not good. :colbert: I'd agree with the stereo though, I was pumping that 90s rap all day every day

I was still driving that Spirit when I met my wife in 2003 and she probably wouldn't be my wife if it was that colour.

Although I did manage to total it on this bridge on our second date and she stuck with me so maybe

You totaled your car on the span of Lions Gate? Not in the causeway? Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

triple clutcher posted:

My first car had separate keys for the ignition, doors, and trunk.
That reminds me of my first car, a '97 Buick Century. One key for the ignition and one for the doors, trunk, and glove compartment. Yes, I want to have to use two keys to get into and start my car, and if the contacts for the chip (just a resistor) in the ignition key are even slightly dirty or the car is feeling grumpy it won't start.