Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shima Honnou posted:

Can someone from an alternate timeline where Hogan did go to Japan tell me what it was like and how things are different in their strange Puro universe compared to the WWE universe that we live in?

Most importantly, does "It's not hot!" still exist in your timeline, but in Japanese?

He did during the period between leaving the WWF and joining WCW. He wrestled Muta and Fujinami. He also talked about starting his own promotion, which would become a theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What's the most successful Hulk Hogan business venture?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Luigi Thirty posted:

Including meat shoes, or not?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Including meat shoes, or not?

Not including meat shoes or vacuuming up as much cash from WCW as possible.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Brooke Hogan.

Or Linda Hogan's bank account post-divorce.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Just checking something, was there any confirmation that Batista has a title written into his contract? or was that people speculating?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Onmi posted:

Just checking something, was there any confirmation that Batista has a title written into his contract? or was that people speculating?

No reliable source ever reported that. People just assumed when he was obviously booked to win the Rumble right on his return.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Joeslop posted:

So I'll be watching Wrestlemania this Sunday, having not really watched anything in the past couple years but Wrestlemania and the Rumble. Can someone give me a rundown on the Wyatt Family? Or even a cool video package or something.

Some people have explained the idea behind the gimmick, but you should also know that Bray Wyatt is played by one of the sons of Mike 'IRS' Rotunda, is one of the best talkers in the business (seriously, watch any promo at all), and is solid in the ring as an agile/powerhouse type, sort of like Bam Bam Bigelow was.

Luke Harper was big on the indies as Brodie Lee and is quite good in the ring, and he seems the smarter and more eloquent of the two followers. Erick Rowan is very green and sloppy, but he plays a big dumb oaf who's barely controllable so it kind of works for him.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Describing the gimmick doesn't really do it much justice, just look up any/all Wyatt promos you can find on youtube and it'll make sense.

Also watch Wyatts vs. Shield from last month's ppv/the raw after or Bray vs. Bryan from this year's Royal Rumble if you want to see them in action.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

This isn't really accurate. Business was really bad after Wrestlemania and Hogan decided to pull out. He did a European tour that had strong advances and he was advertised for but then pulled out of all future house shows and Summerslam. Vince did want him to put Hart over at Summerslam, but after Hogan balked that plan was changed to another Hogan vs Yoko match. Basically Hogan didn't want to be headlining shows in the US that were doing poorly because it might expose his star was fading, so he figured he could go to Japan and wrestle for New Japan because business was great in Japan. That way he'd still look like a huge star. He was actually very much opposed to go to WCW because their business was doing so poorly that it would make him look bad. It wasn't until 7 months later that they really made their pitch to him, and it took a short term contract, a ton of money and creative control to take that risk.

He also called the WWF Heavyweight Championship "a toy, like an ornament on a Christmas tree, a trinket" during a press conference when challenging Muta for the IWGP belt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr10Z3KVs9c&t=13s

RE: Wyatts, here's my favourite promo of his, and it does a pretty good job explaining one of his catchphrases. Well, as much as a cult leader's ramblings can.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

maniacripper posted:

I'll go further and say that any time you get the chance to listen to Scott Hall talk wrestling, whether it be a shoot interview or him doing rifftrax-like stuff on his youtube channel DO IT!

He's really insightful about the business and out of all the guys I've listened to he seems to get the business and psycology of a match the most.

I'd love to hear Jake the Snake do some of the same but I think he's said most of those memories of his matches are just gone :saddowns:
He talks about some of his favourite matches, and his philosophy on angles and promos, in the Pick Your Poison DVD. C'mon, it's five bucks.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Blasmeister posted:

Describing the gimmick doesn't really do it much justice, just look up any/all Wyatt promos you can find on youtube and it'll make sense.

Also watch Wyatts vs. Shield from last month's ppv/the raw after or Bray vs. Bryan from this year's Royal Rumble if you want to see them in action.

All I had to do to get a non-watcher to say that the Wyatts are the best and the future of wrestling was link him to a Youtube video of them coming out and killing Kane with the steps back when he still had the mask.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Shima Honnou posted:

All I had to do to get a non-watcher to say that the Wyatts are the best and the future of wrestling was link him to a Youtube video of them coming out and killing Kane with the steps back when he still had the mask.

Really? Of all the segments I always found that bit kinda lame; how obvious it was they're not actually hitting him with the steps bothered me.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Watching some network stuff and remembering how weird the Ultimate Warrior's 1996 run was. It's not exactly how you'd expect them to book the huge return of a former main eventer:
  • makes his return in a squash match at Wrestlemania
  • has weird non-match for the IC belt at the following PPV (Goldust was injured but apparently booked to retain by countout either way)
  • feuds with Jerry Lawler
  • gets booked for a tag match against "camp Cornette" but fired before the PPV
I knew the run was short, but had completely forgotten about the time-killing Lawler feud until I put KOTR'96 on today. So what was the deal? Did management (rightfully) not trust him enough to do anything important with him? Were a lot of wrestlers refusing to work with him? Just seems odd that they never attempted to book anything close to a "dream match" while they had him around. Really that Lawler feud just baffles me.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Minidust posted:

Watching some network stuff and remembering how weird the Ultimate Warrior's 1996 run was. It's not exactly how you'd expect them to book the huge return of a former main eventer:
  • makes his return in a squash match at Wrestlemania
  • has weird non-match for the IC belt at the following PPV (Goldust was injured but apparently booked to retain by countout either way)
  • feuds with Jerry Lawler
  • gets booked for a tag match against "camp Cornette" but fired before the PPV
I knew the run was short, but had completely forgotten about the time-killing Lawler feud until I put KOTR'96 on today. So what was the deal? Did management (rightfully) not trust him enough to do anything important with him? Were a lot of wrestlers refusing to work with him? Just seems odd that they never attempted to book anything close to a "dream match" while they had him around. Really that Lawler feud just baffles me.

Kevin Nash says that Vince asked him to job to Warrior when he was leaving for WCW, and that he refused, so they gave him Shawn instead.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 2, 2014

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I always figured Warrior would have been in Sid's spot had he stuck around.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Wasn't Sid supposed to be the new Hogan but he didn't want to stop being a crazy villain so he said no?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Can you name a Wrestlemania moment for the biggest stars that you can think of? Or maybe they don't have a Wrestlemania moment.

So how do you define a Wrestlemania moment? I'll leave that up to you to decide. For me it has to be a moment that gets brought up and remembered either by fans, by the WWE itself or both.

Cena: Making HHH tap out post HHH's reign of Doom.
Orton: Can't think of any.
Batista: Beating HHH clean.
HBK: Coming down from the ceiling on a zip-line.
Austin: Refusing to tap out against Hart while blood flowed down his face and between his teeth.
Rock: Beating Cena clean.
Foley: Going through a flaming table.
Flair: THAT retirement match
Undertaker: His match against HBK at 25.
CM Punk: Can't think of any
Bryan: 18 seconds, hopefully to be usurped this year
HHH: His hell in the Cell performance against Undertaker with special guest star HBK.

Note: these aren't these performers best moments in their career, just things you think could count as a Wrestlemania moment.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

CM Punk's moment has to be Undertaker going "gently caress you" to the Anaconda Vice. Just a crazy, crazy reaction to that.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'll go a little further back because I don't disagree with most of the choices for more recent guys:

Hogan-slamming Andre at WMIII
Savage-reuniting with Elizabeth at VII
Bret Hart-beating Yokozuna for the title at X
Warrior-beating Hogan, obviously
Edge-spearing Jeff Hardy from the ceiling at XVII
Angle-making HBK tap out at 21
Jericho-kicking HBK in the nuts at XIX

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He also called the WWF Heavyweight Championship "a toy, like an ornament on a Christmas tree, a trinket" during a press conference when challenging Muta for the IWGP belt.
Ironically this supposedly backfired when Mutou told Inoki that Hogan couldn't be trusted with the IWGP belt if he'd bury the WWF belt like that.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

TL posted:

I'll go a little further back because I don't disagree with most of the choices for more recent guys:

Hogan-slamming Andre at WMIII
Savage-reuniting with Elizabeth at VII
Bret Hart-beating Yokozuna for the title at X
Warrior-beating Hogan, obviously
Edge-spearing Jeff Hardy from the ceiling at XVII
Angle-making HBK tap out at 21
Jericho-kicking HBK in the nuts at XIX

I'd probably go with spearing Foley through the flaming table myself. Edge looked like he had PTSD after that match.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Blasmeister posted:

Really? Of all the segments I always found that bit kinda lame; how obvious it was they're not actually hitting him with the steps bothered me.

That dude's like me and appreciates wrestling as more of a stage play than any kind of actual sport where anyone will be purposefully hurt. The fact that it looked brutal is what mattered, rather than it being obvious that there was basically no way Kane actually was hit there.

It's kinda like if you watch Undertaker's matches you can obviously tell that he plants his victims' heads on his thighs rather than the mat a lot of the time, especially back when he was still fairly new to the scene. As wrestling fans we don't hold that against him or the move, despite it being pretty fake.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I'd probably go with spearing Foley through the flaming table myself. Edge looked like he had PTSD after that match.

Being slammed on thumb-tacks then spearing someone through a flaming table almost vertically will do that to ya.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Orton retaining the title against HHH and Cena has got to count for his WM moment.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Writer Cath posted:

Is it wrong that when I try and picture Stone Cold at eight years old, he still has the trunks, vest and beer?

So Wrestlemania 23 Austin, then.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

Punk's moment has to be one of his MITB wins

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Sid's Wrestlemania moment is him being the first guy in WWF history to kick out of the legdrop. Because I'm sure he wants to distance himself from his other WM main event.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Luigi Thirty posted:

To be honest I don't think he's ever had a successful business venture. From what I hear they always go out of business.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If it's sold anything at all, the Beach Shop is probably his most successful venture since it'll have made a sale.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

ColeM posted:

To be honest I don't think he's ever had a successful business venture. From what I hear they always go out of business.

There was that one time he turned down an offer to have his name on the George Foreman grill, instead focusing on the far more lucrative pasta chain-restaurant industry.

VVVVV

You're right, Hulk Hogans greatest business venture is "lying".

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 3, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

maniacripper posted:

There was that one time he turned down an offer to have his name on the George Foreman grill, instead focusing on the far more lucrative pasta chain-restaurant industry.

you mean that story he made up

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ColeM posted:

That's why it is the meat shoes, they didn't lose money.

His solo endeavors seem to consist of:
-Hogan vs Wight in Memphis (huge flop)
-Hulkamania tour of Australia (huge flop)
-Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Championship Wrestling (amazing show, wasn't renewed)
-Micro Championship Wrestling (flop)
-Hulk Hogan and Friends Tour (not sure how it did business wise but given the complaints about MLM I'd guess poorly)

Most of the rest of his ventures have been people licensing his name so I'm not sure they count, it is money in his pocketbook whether they live or die. (More if they live which they never do.)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

-Hogan vs Wight in Memphis (huge flop)

I remember hearing about this happening at the time but not much else about it. What exactly happened?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

I remember hearing about this happening at the time but not much else about it. What exactly happened?

Hogan released the names of the prospective Hall of Famers for 2007 so Vince blackballed him and cancelled the idea for a Hogan vs Khali or Big Show (if they could convince him to do it) match at WM. Hogan decided to show them who had the power so he decided to co-promote a match with the Memphis promoter at the time against Lawler. Vince wouldn't allow Lawler to do the show, so Hogan got his buddy Big Show to do it instead. This would set up a full on Hulk Hogan tour of the US... except the show bombed horribly and sold something like ~2,000 tickets. It effectively killed Memphis TV off one final time.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MassRafTer posted:

-Hulkamania tour of Australia (huge flop)

And don't forget just plain terrible wrestling as well. The main event of the Melbourne show was staggeringly bad, and the house was probably about 35-40% full. Let's just say I bought a much worse seat than the one I ended up sitting in; I think my friends and I were upgraded three or four grades of seat because the closer stuff simply hadn't sold at all. I would have been loving livid if I had paid full price for an expensive seat and got there to find ~10% of them full and people with cheap tickets being told to fill them up.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Was Kerry Von Erich ever not high in the WWF?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

-Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Championship Wrestling (amazing show, wasn't renewed)

I have never heard of this. Of course it's a Bischoff/Hogan collaboration and of course the winner was Dennis Rodman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Memento posted:

And don't forget just plain terrible wrestling as well. The main event of the Melbourne show was staggeringly bad, and the house was probably about 35-40% full. Let's just say I bought a much worse seat than the one I ended up sitting in; I think my friends and I were upgraded three or four grades of seat because the closer stuff simply hadn't sold at all. I would have been loving livid if I had paid full price for an expensive seat and got there to find ~10% of them full and people with cheap tickets being told to fill them up.

You were one of the unlucky ones to pay. They were offering Buy 1 Get X tickets near the end too.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have never heard of this. Of course it's a Bischoff/Hogan collaboration and of course the winner was Dennis Rodman.

It's my favorite thing Hogan has done outside of promos from mid 97 through late 98.