Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I need a matte varnish that wont damage my enamel based metallics.

Who has a good recommendation for an acrylic matte varnish i can shoot out of my airbrush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

dexefiend posted:

I need a matte varnish that wont damage my enamel based metallics.

Who has a good recommendation for an acrylic matte varnish i can shoot out of my airbrush?

I use Liquitex Matte Varnish over Future. It's very matte and I'm actually going to cut it 50/50 with Liquitex Satin Varnish as pure Matte can frost up and mess with some colors a bit if you go too heavy. I also have Testors Dull Coat Lacqure; I haven't used it yet but from what I've seen it works very well.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Water effects finished drying. I might add another layer to make it deeper but it looks pretty good as is. I bought the fumaroles here http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Pc-Set-of-Fumaroles-or-Creepy-Burrows-3T-Studios-Resin-Terrain-Bits-WH-40k-/251423689074

How does this look? I feel like I need to add some tufts of grass or something but Scenic Express stuff is like $7 for one kind of grass or flowers. Do they(or a similar company) sell a variety pack or something? I want all my terrain to have a sort of wet/jungle planet theme.

Also holy poo poo having a phone with a nice camera helps so much.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
:eyepop:
Jesus loving christ, MGMT and Empire Of The Sun are Harlequins.

Terrific re-purposing of the vacuform crater, really great piece to represent Mysterious Terrain.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

So, this is quite possibly one of the best Phantoms I've ever seen.

I have found the perfect cherry blossom :magical:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Welp, that titan is truly the apex of awesome van painting eldar, and a real hard act to follow.

I painted up these Trollkin Warders and they took for freaking ever to finish. So much detail that I completely burnt out on them in early November, after finishing the leader (the guy with the fancy shield) who I was using as a test model for the general scheme. I'm almost certainly going to go back and add tartans to their tabards, but the dumb things took so much out of me that that gets to wait until I'm done with my current array of heavy warbeasts.

So far I'm done up to here with Mulg, who apparently jacked someone's nice fancy curtains as a loincloth. He still needs glow effects to be finished by airbrush (the blue runes on his back and green runes on his log are the base of those), more work put into his face, some more done to his skin (especially his gut, not pictured) which needs better highlighting (his right hand is the biggest problem area, but his belly (not pictured) is also quite uneven), and some other overall general cleanup. I don't know if I'm overall happy with the stone, I may throw some darker pigments into the crevices before I go in and do the glows.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

I recently picked up a Stormwall for Warmachine, and while I'm still cleaning it up, I'm going to be starting on painting it in the next month or two. My brother suggested that I use spraypaint to account for the white areas I plan to have on my Stormwall, owing to the sheer size of it. I use Krylon White for primer, but would Krylon Flat White be good over it, or is there another suggested white spraypaint?

Personally, I use Krylon Flat White (or black) for priming. I find the regular paints to be a little too glossy (and obviously, the gloss is unusable.) I think Krylon Flat is pretty much the non-Army Painter spray of choice when it comes to miniature priming.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

serious gaylord posted:

:stare:

Pack it in, folks. We're done here.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Yeah I'd never wondered what galactic camoflage would look like but now I know

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Some assorted Trollbloods stuff I've painted over the past few months:

Fennblade Kithkar:

Storm Troll:

Trollkin Warders:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Fyrbrand posted:

Some assorted Trollbloods stuff I've painted over the past few months:

How are you doing your skin? I've tried a few different methods and there's nothing I'm really happy with, yours looks pretty neat :)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I wish there were more shots of it like this but closer. I WANT TO BE CLOSER. :swoon:

*ahem*

Anyway, so I'm working on a Nightscythe. Haven't attached the portal or the gently caress-off laser since my magnets are still in the mail.

I want to do a little more since my scheme is all ho-hum run of the mill metal men and outside of basing and maybe adding decals I can't think of what.

Anyone have any suggestions?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Personally I'd leave it as is, I really like the subdued, not-overly-flashy look.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Magnetizing trip report, I'm making good progress and gotten two out of five guns done. Only drawback is that I didn't have a non-electric drill available in the house so it's a bit slow work doing it by hand but the results look good. :)
Should probably get it all done by Friday or something.
Still need to figure out how to base them though.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Man I want to see a video on just how they did that titan.

Here's a "as I got it" and after I fixed it up comparison of Kharn I got off ebay. I never realised his pistol arm comes off as looking really stubby.

Before:

After:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
You did a really awesome job on that Kharn. The one negative comment I would make is that the coloration on the hair/fur tufts is almost identical to that on the skulls, and that creates a confusing impression. I would have tried to paint them something that contrasted with both the armor and the bone.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ijyt posted:

Personally I'd leave it as is, I really like the subdued, not-overly-flashy look.

Me too, I think I'll do what you suggest and leave it as is and try to add a few decals without screwing it up. The last time I tried to apply a decal was in my teens and it didn't end up well.

VolatileSky posted:

Before:

After:

Kharn may be the Betrayer, I think he'd definitely Befriend you after this great ebay save and paintjob. :glomp:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Me too, I think I'll do what you suggest and leave it as is and try to add a few decals without screwing it up. The last time I tried to apply a decal was in my teens and it didn't end up well.

The only thing I can think of is maybe some subtle OSL, and Microsol/set are your friends for decals.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AndyElusive posted:

I wish there were more shots of it like this but closer. I WANT TO BE CLOSER. :swoon:

*ahem*

Ash and ye shall receive

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is this in a museum or gallery somewhere?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Amazing.

I'll be putting water-effects on a GW non-lipped base, what's the best way to stop the thing spilling over and to have a nice smooth edge?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ijyt posted:

Amazing.

I'll be putting water-effects on a GW non-lipped base, what's the best way to stop the thing spilling over and to have a nice smooth edge?

Disclaimer: I haven't actually done this, but maybe wrap masking tape around the edge and peel it away after curing?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

JerryLee posted:

Disclaimer: I haven't actually done this, but maybe wrap masking tape around the edge and peel it away after curing?

This seems to be what people do for the edges of terrain boards, but I don't know how well it would work with a full wrap-around on a base

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hubis posted:

This seems to be what people do for the edges of terrain boards, but I don't know how well it would work with a full wrap-around on a base

Luckily it's not a full wrap, just the front half of a 120mm oval base. I'm trying to go for a canyon river bank look. I'll test out the masking tape method on a smaller base first though.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

JerryLee posted:

This should work just fine (in theory) as long as you can get a really good bond between the tape and the base. If it isn't pressed down really well glue will seep between the tape and the base. You could also try doing the same thing with electrical tape which is not porous and has better adhesive than masking tape

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Does the stuff usually dry quite hard? If there's a period where it's a bit like a solid jelly then I could always try carving away a bit off overspill.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

enri posted:

How are you doing your skin? I've tried a few different methods and there's nothing I'm really happy with, yours looks pretty neat :)

Thanks man. It starts with a white primer. I then apply a somewhat thin basecoat of Trollblood Base, then wash it with old GW Asurmen Blue. Unfortunately that's super hard to find, though I lucked into a stash of 6 bottles awhile back. I hoard it like a miser. Anyway. I think the new GW blue wash is nice but far too dark. There are probably other suitable replacements for the Asurmen out there though.

After that I reapply the basecoat. Highlights are done by adding progressively greater amounts of P3 Frostbite (not Trollblood Highlight) to the Trollblood base. If I'm going all out with highlights, I'll start adding MWH towards the end for the extreme highlights.

That's the basic recipe (props to pro painter and e-celeb PaintVagrant for originally showing it to me), but I vary it to get slightly different shades. For example, infantry basecoats often start with some Frostbite already added, since I like beasts to be a bit darker than infantry. Sometimes I'll throw some Trollblood Highlight in there just to be different, but I'm not crazy about it.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Thanks, I just had such a visceral reaction of hatred to the black/purple tassles they'd attempted to paint I went the opposite direction. Thinking on it I should switch it to a grayscale rather.

serious gaylord posted:

Ash and ye shall receive

It just doesn't compute in my head how that hexagon patterning is done.

Like I can understand the nebula/lightning effects even if I can't do them myself yet.

And then there's the traingular patterning on the hip. I don't even.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Hexagons are (probably) some stencil work using a mesh to mask off areas, with the triangles being subdivisions of that with a really steady hand, or a lot of very meticulous layered masking. loving spectacular job, in any case.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ijyt posted:

The only thing I can think of is maybe some subtle OSL, and Microsol/set are your friends for decals.

I must have been a total retard in my teens because I just put on four decals after reading a brief tutorial online and it wasn't a problem at all.

serious gaylord posted:

Ash and ye shall receive

:aaaaa:

Now, can you get me close enough to touch it?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Jeez, that just makes me feel terrible for my poor Orks and the painting atrocity that is going to befall them soon. That paint job is just demoralizingly amazing.

I just... drat.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If were just going to be drooling over large scale miniatures, historicals is where its at:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/241171?browseid=8708207
http://www.coolminiornot.com/273422?browseid=8708207
http://www.coolminiornot.com/309660?browseid=8708207

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished up a squad of Devastators! The transfers were kind of a pain in the rear end, but I like how they came out for the most part. I also added some variation to kneepads and some extra honorifics to the models to differentiate them a little from other rank and file dudes. The freehand on the heavy weapons was wicked fun too:

I also laid everything out to get a look at the whole army on the field together:

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Holy poo poo. :stare:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare:

That guy is pretty amazing.
http://www.coolminiornot.com/319256?browseid=8709193

The freehand on this pretty much makes me lose my poo poo everytime I see it:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/313390?browseid=8709193

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

Iguazzu, Piqui, Arsies, and the rest of the incredibly talented Cursed Monkey Corp Spanish painting collective are great. They recently did a smallish print run of a pretty great book full of pictures of their stuff and a bunch of step-by-step painting and sculpting things, and are apparently working on producing a second print run for people who missed out on the initial one. If you're into awesome models, interesting advice on creating them, and supporting some of the most talented people in the hobby, I highly recommend checking it out.

They've also got a Youtube channel with some tutorials, and Iguazzu (Alex Varela) did a great set of videos on painting metals for miniature mentor if you feel like dropping $25 on a few hours of pretty excellent information on the topic.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The freehand on this pretty much makes me lose my poo poo everytime I see it:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/313390?browseid=8709193

That's not a mini that's a CGI poster you can gently caress right off :stonk:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
How does this minefield look? I think I should put something in that open space opposite the tree stump but I'm not sure what.

The stump and base are from the Battlefield in a Box large pine wood set and the mines are from Forgeworld(discontinued).

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

ghetto wormhole posted:

How does this minefield look? I think I should put something in that open space opposite the tree stump but I'm not sure what.

The stump and base are from the Battlefield in a Box large pine wood set and the mines are from Forgeworld(discontinued).

It looks pretty, if a bit sparse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I think it would look a little better if you had less mines and maybe some debris or tiny craters to show where people tried to run across but didn't quite make it. Maybe also some green stuff to hide some mines or partially cover them?

If you're looking for something to put opposite the stump, you could put a sign warning people of the mines.

edit: If you don't like the grimdark idea then I'd add some rocks/grass/etc. It could use a little color :v:

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 3, 2014

• Locked thread