Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
they were considered a large thread so that the people in the US would get behind the governments imperial agenda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
To be fair that stuff happened in the US with the development of The Super; a bunch if the Los Alamos guys were forced out because of their political views. Heck, the US developed nuclear thermal rocket technology(NERVA) that could have put the US on Mars by mid 1990s but Nixon didn't want to pay for Kennedy's and LBJ's legacy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

precision posted:

I mean Jesus Christ you don't fire your super-scientists because they believe in some harmless funny thing

A person who follows a religion recognizes an authority greater than the Soviet state and so is already a "traitor" in that sense. On top of that, there was already a lot of latent anti-Semitism in Russia dating back from well before the revolution, which continued to manifest in Soviet propaganda and in some of Stalin's show trials and purges, and the existence of Israel in the second half of the 20th century exacerbated this further as many suspected that Jews would automatically be more loyal to Israel than to their own homeland (this has been an issue in many places).

However the issue was generally not the Soviets firing their scientists but rather imprisoning them, in many cases they'd still be forced to work knowing that, if they didn't, any family members or even friends living elsewhere would be targets. They knew they needed the brainpower of these scientists that they didn't trust which was part of the whole reason for those secret cities.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 30, 2014

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Great episode was weird I felt bad for Philip as it was just a rough day for him and also yea he was doing horrible things but it is his job.

Also why did Eliz need that file on that army guy. Kind of forgotten that story line? Is it to do with the info they murdered family were onto?

Enjoying Oleg as competent character rather than a gently caress up. Though I think he playing with fire and him or Beeman is getting burnt.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

ally_1986 posted:

Great episode was weird I felt bad for Philip as it was just a rough day for him and also yea he was doing horrible things but it is his job.

Also why did Eliz need that file on that army guy. Kind of forgotten that story line? Is it to do with the info they murdered family were onto?

Enjoying Oleg as competent character rather than a gently caress up. Though I think he playing with fire and him or Beeman is getting burnt.

The other couple who were killed were blackmailing him or they'd out his homosexuality. Claudia thought this made him the top suspect in the murders, because he had motive and means to carry it out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Stan and Phil are like Hank and Heisenberg, except they're both Hank. I am really dreading their eventual confrontation.

Unless of course Stan gets turned, which I think is possible given he doesn't seem to care about his job in any deep moral sense.

I love that I have no clue where this show is going.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zythrst posted:

The other couple who were killed were blackmailing him or they'd out his homosexuality. Claudia thought this made him the top suspect in the murders, because he had motive and means to carry it out.

I do have a feeling that Claudia's gonna die in the next episode, and we're also going to learn that the reason she's so invested in this is that either the husband or wife were one of her kids.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

precision posted:

Stan and Phil are like Hank and Heisenberg, except they're both Hank. I am really dreading their eventual confrontation.

Unless of course Stan gets turned, which I think is possible given he doesn't seem to care about his job in any deep moral sense.

I love that I have no clue where this show is going.

Yeah I've noticed a lot of Breaking Bad parallels too. This show should be just as popular, if not more.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do have a feeling that Claudia's gonna die in the next episode, and we're also going to learn that the reason she's so invested in this is that either the husband or wife were one of her kids.

Interesting idea, the woman definitely looked like she could be Claudia's daughter.

I didn't think we would see Claudia again due to the sitcom, but I hope they can bring her back when it's inevitably cancelled.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Weren't they supposed to touch on Stan's previous undercover work this season? Is that coming or did they ditch that?

darkerthantheday
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah, if you want to spray your shirtwith documents!
I wonder if the checking for "dust" references this:

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-08-21/news/mn-1011_1_spy-dust

"The KGB has dusted ordinary objects like doorknobs and steering wheels with an invisible "spy dust" that may cause cancer in order to track the movements and contacts of American diplomatic personnel in Moscow, the State Department charged today."

http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Dust-Masters-Disguise-Operations/dp/0743428536

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It must be March 5, 1982

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

That's quite a nice bottom

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

A good chunk of this episode has been Liz/Philip pillow talk and Liz clearly showing she wants to be pounded by "Clark" because he's a freak, so either do it or show us more to do with the plot.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Elizabeth horn digging on Phillip was great.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

CBJSprague24 posted:

A good chunk of this episode has been Liz/Philip pillow talk and Liz clearly showing she wants to be pounded by "Clark" because he's a freak, so either do it or show us more to do with the plot.

"Do me as Clark then get all :spergin:"

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

hahahaha he's dressed up as Clark

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
..jesus, that was dark.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Well that went dark in a hurry.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Well, I just watched that scene with my dad. Good times. :suicide:

E- "Hey, how can we follow up a dark scene that amounts to rape in a way?"

"How about we have the douchey congressional aide and his girl shoot heroin?"

"Yeah, that poo poo will be gritty, write it in!"

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 3, 2014

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Everyone is getting some tonight.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tonight, on a very special episode of The Americans:

Freaky sex! Butts!

:v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

OmniBeer posted:

..jesus, that was dark.

It made her recall her 'training.'

I have a feeling the experience in question wasn't part of male KGB training, though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make them "practice" homosexuality should the need ever arise.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 3, 2014

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Ive long suspected she had a nice butt

E: :stare: welp

E2: Man what a harsh murder scene

E3: this is irrelevant but nina's hair looked different to me and i didn't like it :colbert:

Fetus Tree fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 3, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It made her recall her 'training.'

I have a feeling the experience in question wasn't part of male KGB training, though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make them "practice" homosexuality should the need ever arise.

With how much Phil and Liz have used sex/honeytraps so far in the show, I'd imagine that it has to be in the playbook somewhere. Also, the dead Directorate S husband was lovers with that bald guy from earlier in the season and they were blackmailing the Seal, so he may have used a honeytrap on him too.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

savinhill posted:

With how much Phil and Liz have used sex/honeytraps so far in the show, I'd imagine that it has to be in the playbook somewhere. Also, the dead Directorate S husband was lovers with that bald guy from earlier in the season and they were blackmailing the Seal, so he may have used a honeytrap on him too.

Where did you get that from? They were friends, but I don't think anyone ever implied they had a relationship.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

Where did you get that from? They were friends, but I don't think anyone ever implied they had a relationship.

Yeah, I think the bald guy was an ideologically-motivated asset - he wasn't homosexually involved with the husband.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Where were Elizabeth and "Clark" sleeping together in that horrific scene? A random safehouse? Did Phillip put on the wig specifically for her, or was he heading over to Martha's and Elizabeth grabbed him?

Jesus, that was brutal. Somehow even more twisted than when Breaking Bad went for a similar (though more damning) moment.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Where were Elizabeth and "Clark" sleeping together in that horrific scene? A random safehouse? Did Phillip put on the wig specifically for her, or was he heading over to Martha's and Elizabeth grabbed him?

Jesus, that was brutal. Somehow even more twisted than when Breaking Bad went for a similar (though more damning) moment.

It looked like a motel. Didn't need Paige asking questions about Daddy's wig and Mommy's crying.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Didn't need Paige asking questions about Daddy's wig and Mommy's crying.

what a sentence :stare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think Elizabeth was there because she wanted to goad him into showing her Clark's "animal," and as I said before, what she ended up coaxing out of him was his stress at being pulled in several different directions as well as having his family in a constant state of danger, and he ended up 'hate loving' Liz into remembering her instructor raping her at the end of her training.

It's a long-standing and widely-believed rumor that female KGB NOC operatives were always trained by alpha-type males who would almost become 'fatherly' to them during their training, and towards the end, they'd be systematically raped by either said instructors or by another superior to test their fortitude and to send them out into the field 'hardened.'

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Narcissus1916 posted:

Actually, when Phillip and Elizabeth were separated in the first season Phillip got an apartment. I think they kept it to serve as Clark's place.

quote:

Yeah, that was really hard to watch.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What was the scene in breaking bad you guys were talking about btw?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's a long-standing and widely-believed rumor that female KGB NOC operatives were always trained by alpha-type males who would almost become 'fatherly' to them during their training, and towards the end, they'd be systematically raped by either said instructors or by another superior to test their fortitude and to send them out into the field 'hardened.'

This is interesting. I tried looking into it, but all I got was stuff about the much-more-recent crop of agents who got outed and traded back. Out of sheer curiosity, do you have any sources? I could use some creepy bedtime reading.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Fetus Tree posted:

What was the scene in breaking bad you guys were talking about btw?
I assume the "I am the one who knocks" scene - revealing the other character he plays to his wife.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
So that gay military guy was some super top Russian agent who turned and Phil and Liz are trying to find out if he killed the Russian family, but it turns out the gay military guy actually didn't do it. Also, gay military guy could've killed Phil (clearly caught Phil with his back turned), which explains why Claudia was so scared for Phil and Liz. Is this all correct?

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I assume the "I am the one who knocks" scene - revealing the other character he plays to his wife.

I'm thinking it was the scene in Season 1 or early Season 2 when Walt virtually raped Skyler in their kitchen. I can't remember too much about it, but oddly I remember that Skyler was wearing green face mask goop which smears on their fridge while they're struggling, and there's a bit later on in the episode where Walt jr looks at it with a puzzled expression.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I keep wanting to post but I just know this thread is treading on the thinnest ice imaginable.

Discussing sex on SA: not even once.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The Americans S2: I just had sex, and it felt So good :haw:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

This is interesting. I tried looking into it, but all I got was stuff about the much-more-recent crop of agents who got outed and traded back. Out of sheer curiosity, do you have any sources? I could use some creepy bedtime reading.

Unfortunately my own search is turning up more articles about The Americans and Beria than anything to back it up. I read it in a book long ago about Stasi and KGB training that was written right around '93 or '94, so it might've been bullshit, but I'll keep looking for something concrete using Boolean operators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

JohnSherman posted:

I just assumed with how broken up he was over the spy husband's death and how he bought gifts for his son that their relationship went beyond agent/asset.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I thought it was the awkward handjob scene.

• Locked thread