Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

i've heard this stat bandied about a lot, but never seen any proof. i maintain it's an urban legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Nelson MandEULA posted:

i've heard this stat bandied about a lot, but never seen any proof. i maintain it's an urban legend.

if only there was a website of statistics we could reference for such queries

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

uncurable mlady posted:

if only there was a website of statistics we could reference for such queries

thank god for statpedia

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio
how is this guy a sheriff

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arizona is crazy, I had a dude asking me if I had a problem cause I was buying a six pack at 10 o'clock. that was his thing "hey, it's ten o'clock" "do you think you have a problem?"

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm using this to justify my drinking but that dude was an rear end in a top hat

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

arizona has lots and lots of old white people who moved there to get away from where they'd been living, and that's an elected office

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
yes but surely someone would take him down in the meantime, like i dont know, the president

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

yes but surely someone would take him down in the meantime, like i dont know, the president

the united states has a federal system, where states have a lot of independence in a lot of areas. the national government really has to stretch to affect a lot of localish situations, and local elections are just about completely independent

it would be possible for someone like the governor of arizona or people in that part of state government to mess with arpaio, but he's awfully popular with a lot of their consitituents

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

been a while since I've posted something from Wiktionary

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

RZApublican posted:

oh so there actually is a precedent for that usage, thanks for the information. :)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
seriously though if the only examples you can find of a usage are "piers anthony" "usenet roleplaying" and "my little pony" it just might actually be a misuse :rolleye:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I give it two weeks before their need to make the worst decision possible forces the editors to delete the first two examples

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RZApublican posted:

i guess they don't have that "notability guideline" thing that wikipedia uses

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

iirc a bunch of federal agencies have been building cases against him for years

also

PleasingFungus posted:

Former manga editor

mooooods

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Sham bam bamina! posted:

seriously though if the only examples you can find of a usage are "piers anthony" "usenet roleplaying" and "my little pony" it just might actually be a misuse :rolleye:

they're at least all consistent with each other though

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

the united states has a federal system, where states have a lot of independence in a lot of areas. the national government really has to stretch to affect a lot of localish situations, and local elections are just about completely independent

it would be possible for someone like the governor of arizona or people in that part of state government to mess with arpaio, but he's awfully popular with a lot of their consitituents

i heard arpaio was actually under investigation by the feds but idk whatever came of that

he has done a lot of heinous stuff and created an environment that makes it easy for his underlings to do a lot more

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

prefect posted:

the cruel and unusual punishment clause is the crucial one here for federal jurisdiction

the constitution and the bill of rights are incorporated against the states

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Wonky (also known as wonkystep, street bass, aquacrunk or purple sound)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
aquacrunk

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

reverse pardons should be a thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

syscall girl posted:

i heard arpaio was actually under investigation by the feds but idk whatever came of that

what came of that is that if you investigate joe arpaio, deputies break down the door to your house and wreck up the place and take all your notes and computers for "domestic terrorism investigations" or other fabricated charges.

re. states rights i find that it's best to explain the usa to non-americans as sort of like the former yugoslavia. it's a zillion little countries all connected together, some of them very similar to each other and totally happy to coexist as the same nation, others completely unlike one another by any social or cultural measure. some of them would much rather split off into their own countries, they just don't for economic reasons. lots of prejudice based on where you're from (texas is all racists, california is all hippies and gays, new york is all loudmouths and mobsters, etc). if the president was a just a liiittle more dictatorial the country probably would have fractured years ago.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ive been perusing this for a while now http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disasters_in_the_United_States_by_death_toll

i like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_Island_disaster

On June 8, 1978, OSHA cited Willow Island contractors for 20 violations, including failures to field test concrete and anchor the scaffold system properly. The cases were settled for $85,500, or about $1,700 per worker killed. OSHA referred the case to the United States Department of Justice for criminal investigation. A grand jury was convened, but no charges were filed.[3]

company lets 50 people die on its watch, gets a <$250k 2014 dollars fine

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
In December, 2013, a Facebook page titled "Boycott Autism Speaks" was started to support a boycott by persons with autism on sponsors of Autism Speaks. The page garnered over 1500 "likes" in less than three weeks.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-run_syndication_in_the_United_States,_2000s

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

Wonky (also known as wonkystep, street bass, aquacrunk or purple sound)

wonky is aight tho but lol @ that name

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

theflyingexecutive posted:

reverse pardons should be a thing

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Nelson MandEULA posted:

One of Britain's most isolated stations, it is a request stop used almost solely by walkers and those who enjoy visiting obscure locations.

this lead me to

The village pub, 'The Old Forge', is the remotest in mainland Britain[1][2] and the village is only reachable by ferry from Mallaig, there being no road access to the area from the rest of Scotland.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Sagebrush posted:

what came of that is that if you investigate joe arpaio, deputies break down the door to your house and wreck up the place and take all your notes and computers for "domestic terrorism investigations" or other fabricated charges.

re. states rights i find that it's best to explain the usa to non-americans as sort of like the former yugoslavia. it's a zillion little countries all connected together, some of them very similar to each other and totally happy to coexist as the same nation, others completely unlike one another by any social or cultural measure. some of them would much rather split off into their own countries, they just don't for economic reasons. lots of prejudice based on where you're from (texas is all racists, california is all hippies and gays, new york is all loudmouths and mobsters, etc). if the president was a just a liiittle more dictatorial the country probably would have fractured years ago.

that sounds depressing, kind of

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

that sounds depressing, kind of

thats b/c its a goony cynical view of america, kind of

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
reading my alma mater's :smuggo: wikipedia page, it's pretty clear that it must have been entirely written by the university's pr department. like, it's not a bad article and it's not an obscure school, but i refuse to believe anyone would do all this work without being paid:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
also lol at the penguin statue being in the template despite not being mentioned anywhere in the main lse article at all or having an article to itself

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nelson MandEULA posted:

reading my alma mater's :smuggo: wikipedia page, it's pretty clear that it must have been entirely written by the university's pr department. like, it's not a bad article and it's not an obscure school, but i refuse to believe anyone would do all this work without being paid:

not a terrible gig

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lutha Mahtin posted:

thats b/c its a goony cynical view of america, kind of

yeah the balkans are weird because of hundreds of years of austrians, ottomans, greeks and everyone else running roughshod over the area. the different regions of american aren't nearly as culturally distinct as people claim

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

the different regions of american aren't nearly as culturally distinct as people claim
looks like someone hasn't been down to new orleans :colbert:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

yeah the balkans are weird because of hundreds of years of austrians, ottomans, greeks and everyone else running roughshod over the area. the different regions of american aren't nearly as culturally distinct as people claim

yeah America is mostly the same everywhere you go. the biggest difference will always be in the food which is why you should avoid most of the midwest. states rights isn't really a thing that exists anymore but its also a super lf topic.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

yeah America is mostly the same everywhere you go. the biggest difference will always be in the food which is why you should avoid most of the midwest. states rights isn't really a thing that exists anymore but its also a super lf topic.

there are some areas where states' rights make a visible difference. people from pennsylvania are always complaining about their liquor stores, for example

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
really most of america is varying degrees of redneck once you're more than 60 miles from an ocean

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
did wikipedia change their font or something????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Farecoal posted:

did wikipedia change their font or something????
well it's not just you, something changed