Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There are English patches for the Z2s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Menu patches, you mean.

I mean, sure, if you're fine with a moonspeak story, than go start with Z right now, but if you want something you can understand and don't speak Japanese, you've very limited options.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

This got a full "WHAT?!" and a click out of me except it's just a menu patch, which is like the SRW OE of English patches.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Go hog wild and start with Alpha 3, it worked for me :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You suckers and your English patches. In my day we played through SRW in Japanese without animation skip. Uphill. Both ways.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Huh, I'll be damned. I guess I'll add it to the list.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

J has such overpowered units that it doesn't remotely take an hour to finish every stage. It's not a great game but it isn't the worst either.

In the late stages sure. Beginning stage wise (like, the first 30 stages), this game is absolute hell for the uninitiated

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

You suckers and your English patches. In my day we played through SRW in Japanese without animation skip. Uphill. Both ways.

My first SRW was SRW3 when the English patch hit. I don't know if that's better or worse than starting out raw.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I can't seem to find any screenshots of this Z2 menu translation. If someone has it, would they be willing to post one or two?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Race Realists posted:

In the late stages sure. Beginning stage wise (like, the first 30 stages), this game is absolute hell for the uninitiated

In the first 30 stages I was doing things like soloing entire fights with Cagalli and Mu in their Skygraspers. It may just be a difference in how we play but I've always heard the later stages at being the annoying ones.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even if you suck at the game, iirc J is like a lot of SRW titles in that you keep exp/money if you continue, I think?

I'm not sure because heck, it's a rather easy game for the genre so I never lost a mission.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

In the first 30 stages I was doing things like soloing entire fights with Cagalli and Mu in their Skygraspers. It may just be a difference in how we play but I've always heard the later stages at being the annoying ones.

I mean, I agree that J's harder in the beginning especially if you're a stupid newbie. But calling it hell would be a bit of a stretch in my experience - and I thought the waves of reinforcements only became a huge problem AFTER the first 30 stages. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You can start the game with the Granteed and get Mazinkaiser on chapter 15. You also get Zeorymer in like chapter 13 if you don't want to get Great Zeorymer. You have to actively try to lose with those guys.

And those are just the big names, player characters in general are just wildly overpowered in J and you never stop getting new guys to carry you. Like it's kind of hard to have difficulty at the end because they just hand you Freedom and Justice in METEORs.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
My first SRW was OG1 because I'm not loving insane.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Silentman0 posted:

Yeah, I started with OG1 on GBA and that's an okay place to start I think. I got about halfway through OG2 though before throwing up my hands and moving to Z2-1, which is awesome and now I want nothing more to do with the OG universe.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

Meh. Translated J was my first, nothing insane about that. And, honestly, once you've played one of the games and know basically how the menus are laid out, you're 90% of the way to being able to play any SRW you want perfectly, and there's getting to be a ton of places you can find story guides or LPs to give you the juicy story bits.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

You can start the game with the Granteed and get Mazinkaiser on chapter 15. You also get Zeorymer in like chapter 13 if you don't want to get Great Zeorymer. You have to actively try to lose with those guys.

And those are just the big names, player characters in general are just wildly overpowered in J and you never stop getting new guys to carry you. Like it's kind of hard to have difficulty at the end because they just hand you Freedom and Justice in METEORs.
Let's not forget that one of the most broken units in the game is the goddamn Nadesico, your first battleship that arrives on chapter TWO. In part because of the relationship bonuses (a big love bonus from Akito and 4 friendship bonuses from Gai, Ryoko, Hikaru and Izumi), but also because of how insanely powerful the Gravity Blaster is. And the Nadesico has 5 spirit pools to draw from. Coupled with the enemy AI being programmed to "target slowest unit on the field first", and Yurika becomes one of the deadliest things on the map.

That's right, gigantic ditz Yurika Misumaru can be easily turned into a Destroyer Of All Things with a few upgrades. And unlike Murrue and the Archangel, Yurika and the Nadesico don't get beaten to death with a nerf bat over the course of the game. Yurika and Nadesico get better. :getin:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
OG1 before the Atlus release was my first :smug:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

That's right, gigantic ditz Yurika Misumaru can be easily turned into a Destroyer Of All Things with a few upgrades. And unlike Murrue and the Archangel, Yurika and the Nadesico don't get beaten to death with a nerf bat over the course of the game. Yurika and Nadesico get better. :getin:

To be fair, that is entirely consistent with the show. Like everyone else on the Nadesico, Yurika is crazy, but very competent.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I started with OG1 on GBA and that's an okay place to start I think. I got about halfway through OG2 though before throwing up my hands and moving to Z2-1, which is awesome and now I want nothing more to do with the OG universe.

Pretty much. Everyone should just be honest and say that the only game worth playing is the most recent mainline game. Luckily, this means that new people have another week to get familiar with SRW in preparation for Jigoku until Saisei is invalidated!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Obviously the best place to start is A Portable :shepface:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hellioning posted:

To be fair, that is entirely consistent with the show. Like everyone else on the Nadesico, Yurika is crazy, but very competent.
True, but when you have the Archangel getting repeatedly hit with nerf after nerf, the Nadesico stands out more.

Hivac posted:

Obviously the best place to start is A Portable :shepface:
Don't even joke like that.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

True, but when you have the Archangel getting repeatedly hit with nerf after nerf, the Nadesico stands out more.

Don't even joke like that.

The nerfs are pretty faithful to the series since the crew on the Archangel are like a game of whack a mole. Come to think of it do they ever save Tolle in a different game, like in Alpha 3 or something?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

AradoBalanga posted:

I love how J Nadesico has basically one primary attack and that's all it needs because it shits out damage and has a huge EN pool.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

TARDISman posted:

The nerfs are pretty faithful to the series since the crew on the Archangel are like a game of whack a mole. Come to think of it do they ever save Tolle in a different game, like in Alpha 3 or something?

I think Tolle is saved in W if you also save Nichol.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Let's not forget that one of the most broken units in the game is the goddamn Nadesico, your first battleship that arrives on chapter TWO. In part because of the relationship bonuses (a big love bonus from Akito and 4 friendship bonuses from Gai, Ryoko, Hikaru and Izumi), but also because of how insanely powerful the Gravity Blaster is. And the Nadesico has 5 spirit pools to draw from. Coupled with the enemy AI being programmed to "target slowest unit on the field first", and Yurika becomes one of the deadliest things on the map.

In those recent Japanese playthroughs on NicoNico I posted last thread, someone used the exact same strategy you suggested. Me never being aware of Nadesico's brokenness was like :stare:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Hellioning posted:

I think Tolle is saved in W if you also save Nichol.

He played the piano.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TARDISman posted:

W (if you get the Nicol secret), but he's just off to the side because only the Valstork is the only battleship that has access to more than two pilots in that game.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!
『第3次スーパーロボット大戦Z 時獄篇』のカスタムサウンドトラック機能について、お問い合わせを頂いておりますのでお伝えしておきます。PS3版、PS Vita版の両方で当該機能をお使いいただけます(∗❛ัΘ❛ั∗)
皆様、お好きな方をお買い求めください。りょ、両方でもいいんですよ。

https://twitter.com/srw_bng/status/451565143638286336

Custom soundtrack does work for VITA and PS3. I guess they must have gotten a lot of questions about that.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

It's always fun learning a new SRW game. My Japanese fluent friend is baffled I've played so many SRW titles and I still don't know how to read the menus. Apparently everyone picks this up pretty quickly but all this time I've just become accustomed to where all the menu items are from game to game. They rarely change.

Of course there's that awkward hour where I trial/error how to form squads in every squad based game, heh.

ShiunTouya posted:

Custom soundtrack does work for VITA and PS3. I guess they must have gotten a lot of questions about that.
holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

My first SRW was SRW3 when the English patch hit. I don't know if that's better or worse than starting out raw.

SRW4 for ZSNES as a 'lil kid.

I cannot read a single loving lick of Japanese.

I got both the bad ending while also letting the dude who pilots Reideen died (or in my case, randomly vanished) because I kept using his ultimate attack.

I really miss the pointy square Gespensts. Especially Gilliam's purple one. Ya'll got no idea how hyped I was to see "Gespenst Mk. II" pop up in OG1 to only have them be lame MP units rather than Gilliam's god machine.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

It's always fun learning a new SRW game. My Japanese fluent friend is baffled I've played so many SRW titles and I still don't know how to read the menus. Apparently everyone picks this up pretty quickly but all this time I've just become accustomed to where all the menu items are from game to game. They rarely change.

Of course there's that awkward hour where I trial/error how to form squads in every squad based game, heh.
A friend of mine learned how to play the first Disgaea game in Japanese, just as it came out, when literally no one on earth knew what the gently caress to make of it. He learned how to play it way faster than me, given that unlike him, I could actually read it. Now THAT'S dedication.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 3, 2014

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Oh really? Man, I do not remember the middle of the series well at all.

Just because I stumbled on it recently and its still somehow on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGl8Yq1EaX8

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
15 years old and you sound like a loving 30 year old

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Race Realists posted:

15 years old and you sound like a loving 30 year old
I believe Heero's actually a 500 year old vampire 30-something veteran who just looks fifteen because of the art style.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
haha, i remember thinking that speech scene was the most badass thing when i was 12.

Relistening to it it sounds like the most reddit thing ever. I keep expecting bitcoins to pop up.

its reddit 2050

EDIT: Scrach that, it's the most tumblr thing ever.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 3, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, just remember that he's supposed to be an old, dead-inside war veteran taking on the name of a dead politician and pretending he's half his age in the process of trying to stop war by killing the gently caress out of anyone with the power to wage it :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fereydun posted:

I cannot read a single loving lick of Japanese.

Well, these games have at least made me somewhat familiar with...Katakana, I think? The characters they use to spell out engrishy poo poo like Gundam or non-Japanese names? I can sort of...pronounce those. Kind of.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, these games have at least made me somewhat familiar with...Katakana, I think? The characters they use to spell out engrishy poo poo like Gundam or non-Japanese names? I can sort of...pronounce those. Kind of.
Technically, being able to pronounce them isn't a requirement, as long as you can visually distinguish names and terminology from each other. That's how the friend I mentioned before played Disgaea without reading Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

"Duo, what are you doing, this is home ec class!"

• Locked thread