Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bolow posted:

light a fire under Congress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Bolow posted:

Maybe this will finally light a fire under Congress's rear end to fund NASA more :unsmith:

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

what's the free market solution

Except unironically

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
De-crewing the ISS and just leaving it there sounds like two to three clusterfucks rolled into one mega-gently caress.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Bolow posted:

Maybe this will finally light a fire under Congress's rear end to fund NASA more :unsmith:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahha

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
But if we just cut the ISS loose, think of how much more we could slash NASA's budget!

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
space is stupid

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

genderstomper58 posted:

space is stupid

You're stupid

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

gleep gloop posted:

You're stupid

Thats not the topic though, nor a current event.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Bolow posted:

lol

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Reminds me of 2010 where the Americans and Soviets segregated themselves.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
For gently caress's sake...

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Active-Shooter-Reported-at-Fort-Hood-253636461.html

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
Venetian separatists planned to storm st Marks square, armed with guns from the albanian mafia and a home made armored tractor/tank. A few dozen arrested and more suspected. Telephone intercepts talk about hundreds of supporters.

Recent unofficial internet polls have indicated that Venetian secessionism has been growing due to the state of the economy, central govt corruption, other parts of the country being moochers, and all that usual stuff.

One of the arrested men is former parliamentarian Franco Rocchetta of Lega Nord.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/02/italy-arrest-veneto-separatists-plot-tank

Hey, nationalist chest beating has gotten people into space before. Also, imagine all the potential pork for the mil industrial complex. I'm sure there's room to roll it into the F-35 programme or something.

E:

quote:

ft Hood

god drat loving..

Courthouse fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 2, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

SHELTER IN PLACE

Ya what the gently caress ever.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Perhaps we could bootstraps our way to space but congress keeps moving the goal posts with dog whistle racism of strawmen.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

God dammit fort hood why do you have to attract all the loving whackjobs

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

orange juche posted:

God dammit fort hood why do you have to attract all the loving whackjobs

Well the smart well adjusted people don't generally join the military

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

genderstomper58 posted:

good point :smith:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

genderstomper58 posted:

I guess thats why texas has the most joiners.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

ded posted:

I guess thats why texas has the most joiners.

godholio is that u???? :iamafag:

its prolly california u dumb retard coner

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Courthouse posted:

Venetian separatists planned to storm st Marks square, armed with guns from the albanian mafia and a home made armored tractor/tank. A few dozen arrested and more suspected. Telephone intercepts talk about hundreds of supporters.

Recent unofficial internet polls have indicated that Venetian secessionism has been growing due to the state of the economy, central govt corruption, other parts of the country being moochers, and all that usual stuff.

One of the arrested men is former parliamentarian Franco Rocchetta of Lega Nord.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/02/italy-arrest-veneto-separatists-plot-tank

Before you added the link, I thought the idea of Venetian separatists with a tank was a story a day late, but googled it and got:

Killdozer II

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ded posted:

SHELTER IN PLACE

Ya what the gently caress ever.

Shelter in place is a brilliant plan, if by place, you mean armory, and by shelter, you mean gear up and go rear end in a top hat-hunting.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Courthouse posted:

How were they even planning to get a tank onto their tiny island town unnoticed?

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

joat mon posted:

Killdozer II

:italy::killdozer:

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

How were they even planning to get a tank onto their tiny island town unnoticed?

I don't think you understand quite how tanks work.

quote:

Shelter in place is a brilliant plan, if by place, you mean armory, and by shelter, you mean gear up and go rear end in a top hat-hunting.

I guess you wouldn't want people to stay put while the QRF got there and shot the bad guy up. Having people running around would only cause added confusing and increase targets.

(I'm presuming there is a bit more to getting your gun and ammo out than just showing up and grabbing a gun, since it is not a warzone we're talking about)

Have there been any real reforms or attempts to beef up stateside base security since last time this happened?

E:

quote:

That is the most half-assed killdozer I've ever seen. Marvin Heemeyer would be rolling over in his grave if he knew that crazies have fallen so far.

To be fair, they were planning to deploy it on the eve of the may elections. So we could give then some leeway and say it was still unfinished? :v:

Courthouse fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 3, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

joat mon posted:

Before you added the link, I thought the idea of Venetian separatists with a tank was a story a day late, but googled it and got:

Killdozer II

That is the most half-assed killdozer I've ever seen. Marvin Heemeyer would be rolling over in his grave if he knew that crazies have fallen so far.

MrYenko posted:

*Ft. Hood destroyed by jumpy grunts shooting everything that moves.

Probably would look something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgkFe5HYqY0

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 3, 2014

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

*Ft. Hood destroyed by jumpy grunts shooting everything that moves.

Probably would look something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgkFe5HYqY0

halfassed is about as good as youre gonna get out of an italian

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Courthouse posted:

I don't think you understand quite how tanks work.
They were literally planning to drive it up across the Freedom Bridge and somehow manoeuvre it into St. Mark's Square? That's even better because it wouldn't fit through half the streets there and most of their bridges wouldn't be able to support it.

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe
fort hood is for faggots anyway

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008
3/4 dead. Nidal Hasan retains the title.

AllDogsGoodDogs fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 3, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Courthouse posted:

Have there been any real reforms or attempts to beef up stateside base security since last time this happened?

I'm not an Army guy, but as Air Force goes, we'd send that SIP notification as soon as we have approval from the wing commander. That'd just get people locked in their offices and accounting for each other. I don't know if Security Forces has any beefed up procedures since the shootings over the past few years.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 3, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
AP just released a pretty big news story about USAID's clandestine involvement in the creation of a social media platform to undermine Cuba's government.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

psydude posted:

AP just released a pretty big news story about USAID's clandestine involvement in the creation of a social media platform to undermine Cuba's government.

This is exactly the sort of thing our foreign agencies should be doing.

I've been meaning to effortpost something about the mess in Venezuela (which Cuba has been well involved in) but I'm too lazy to find English sources, here's a good article to read:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LT_VENEZUELA_RATIONING?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-04-01-00-32-05

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/168237/egypts-downward-spiral

For whatever reason my phone won't quote this, and there's some dumb things in it (there's no reason to think half of Egyptians support MB) but it's a fair assessment of the mess in Egypt.

Not to dredge back up the I/P thing but part of the reason the nature of the talks are changing is that the US is losing the influence it had on Egypt, both to dissuade another Arab-Israeli war and to maintain some semblance of security. This combines with Gaza, which is the major source of violence / security problems Israel needs a 'peace treaty' against, and is under Hamas control that Abu Mazen has less than zero influence over.

The ray of sunshine in all this is that whoever 'controls' Egypt governs the heat level in Gaza. And right now that 'control', as much as such a thing exists, lies in the hands of the Saudis, not traditional pals of Israel but reluctant partners right now against the Iranian Bomb.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

This is exactly the sort of thing our foreign agencies should be doing.

Not USAID.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Not USAID.

Yeah isn't this the primary reason affiliation with these aid agencies pretty much kills any chance at a security clearance.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm really curious about how the public and media will react to the Ft. Hood shooting. I really don't want to have to carry a weapon around in garrison.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Not USAID.
If people think USAID is involved in these things they're not going to be allowed to work in other countries.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm really curious about how the public and media will react to the Ft. Hood shooting. I really don't want to have to carry a weapon around in garrison.

If anything itd be the opposite and youd be forced to draw your weapons only from the training centers and kuwait.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

anne frank fanfic posted:

If anything itd be the opposite and youd be forced to draw your weapons only from the training centers and kuwait.

There is 0% chance of any sort of "gun restriction" occurring. People are already arguing for arming everyone on base at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SentSix
Jul 19, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

There is 0% chance of any sort of "gun restriction" occurring. People are already arguing for arming everyone on base at all times.

How does this not end in blood and tears every Friday night?

• Locked thread