Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
How can you not love a race of incredibly dry Orcs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
All the previous jaghut encounters I can recall before Hood were all kindly whiny and annoying so I can see his point and completely agree.

Hood and co. loving owned though.

And I agree that Icarium is little more than a big mopey cocktease that, sans Mappo (who was awesome) was utterly boring to read.

Like the three times he could've done something badass across all 10 books, in 1 he got gypped out of the fight, in another he goes berserk but then doesn't ruin the world, and in the third he gets gypped again. He's such a huge cocktease the whole time.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 2, 2014

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

nucleicmaxid posted:

All the previous jaghut encounters I can recall before Hood were all kindly whiny and annoying so I can see his point and completely agree.

Well, dead Raest and Gothos disagrees with you. Likewise, the female Jaghut in Midnight Tides was great.
Jaghut are so nonchalantly arrogant and have great dry humour. Sometimes it feels like T'lan Imass didn't so much fail in exterminating the Jaghut as the Jaghut growed bored of them.
Each dead Jaghut equals hundred to thousands of dead T'lan Imass and I guess mass slaughter grows weary after a while.
Gothos as an example seemed to have chosen being a warden of an Azath in order to have some quiet time.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
I love the Knights of Light that show up long enough to get owned like a squadron of keystone cops.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
drat I kind of forgot Raest was Jaghut. To me it was almost like the tyrant monster raest and then the retired undead sarcastic raest were different characters. I guess dying might do that but it was such a difference I stopped associating the two. Gothos kind of pop up randomly without doing too much while everyone else lost their poo poo about him so I felt like he wasn't all that memorable personally. He does put Kallor in his place very nicely, which is always appreciated.

I guess the portrayal of jaghut as a race doesn't match up with those that appear as specific characters. They're talked about as this kind of sad lost people who couldn't even care enough to save their own lives but then you see specific characters and they're the best so its a weird dichotomy. Maybe thats part of why they abandoned social living, the bad rear end ones got sick of the mopers and vice versa.

nucleicmaxid posted:

And I agree that Icarium is little more than a big mopey cocktease that, sans Mappo (who was awesome) was utterly boring to read.

Like the three times he could've done something badass across all 10 books, in 1 he got gypped out of the fight, in another he goes berserk but then doesn't ruin the world, and in the third he gets gypped again. He's such a huge cocktease the whole time.

Hes just kind of pointless. There's enough going on in the book that we don't need the old amnesiac rage portal hulk thing.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 2, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So what is the point of Fiddler's card games?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

amuayse posted:

malazan equivalent of spoilers

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

amuayse posted:

Fiddler is just this mundane human grunt with an idiot savant ability with the deck. As far as we can tell, the most talented at foretelling that we ever see. He divines so much information from the future and the near-present that it's dangerous as gently caress. The deck is dangerous even in small amounts, based on Malazan's respect for the unveiling of power, I imagine that a deck reading is like a mushroom cloud going off, especially when it's done by someone like Fiddler, attracting the attentive eye of all sorts of nasty powerful things.

As to how it actually fits into the world? Don't know. The deck is powerful as are all of its residents. I have to imagine it's some kind of control mechanism created by K'Rul to police the warrens, and it maybe has a side affect of being able to divine the futures of aligned players in the various convergences.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I wonder if anyone has sat down and spelt out what all the deck foreshadowing means. Guess it'll be easier on a second read through.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

dishwasherlove posted:

I wonder if anyone has sat down and spelt out what all the deck foreshadowing means. Guess it'll be easier on a second read through.

At one point I tried to figure out what all the deck play at the end of Bonehunters meant, but I never quite got it and I didn't write it down, so I don't even remember what I figured out.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Tattersail's use of the deck at the beginning of Gardens of the Moon definitely hooked me on the series, in spite of my later misgivings over the use of magic. I really like the concept that using magic to foresee is inherently dangerous to the magician and those around her or him.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

nucleicmaxid posted:

Good, so you're both wrong.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Loving Life Partner posted:

Fiddler is just this mundane human grunt with an idiot savant ability with the deck
It's a whole lot more than that, as he's incredibly sensitive to magic and it's theorized by QB (iirc) that he has natural wizard talent, Harry, he just never pursued it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Fiddler is one of my favorite characters in the series so far, probably because he reminds me of several grumpy sergeants I knew. Hedge, on the other hand, I can't stand.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

Good, so you're both wrong.

Beep boop. What is an opinion?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

nucleicmaxid posted:

Beep boop. What is an opinion?

When it's yours? Invalid. :colbert:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

I guess the portrayal of jaghut as a race doesn't match up with those that appear as specific characters.
One way to look at it is that perhaps there is a reason these Jaghut survived when their entire race did not.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Habibi posted:

One way to look at it is that perhaps there is a reason these Jaghut survived when their entire race did not.

good point, cream of the crop.

I have to say, as my regard for the jaghut rose it declined in equal measure for the tellan imass. Their eternal holy war against the jaghut starts looking worse and worse as you start to find out it was kind of an overreaction with very nasty consequences. As you get to know members of their race you start to realize they've got a lot of heart but not so much brain.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Well yeah that's the whole drat point and exactly how you're supposed to feel

And also that Olar Ethil is a bitch

But also a weird as hell character considering the poo poo she says in Dust of Dreams...

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
caveman nazi zombies and keychain shemales are 2 of the main draws of this series

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I'll admit the undead cyborg space velociraptors threw me off at first, but I've come to enjoy being thrown off balance by this series.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

IIRC the whole undead cyborg space velociraptors thing is very intentional. There's a theme about how magic tends to stunt technological advancement, but the Keychains lack any kind of 'real' magic in the same sense as Denul or High Mage artillery, and they were around for something like hundreds of thousands of years so they're pretty much more advanced than modern, real world humans. And they still can't deal with people that can shrug off nukes or teleport or smother entire continents in ice.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

I'll admit the undead cyborg space velociraptors threw me off at first, but I've come to enjoy being thrown off balance by this series.

It is a credit to Erikson's writing that stuff like this in the series feels natural and serious, and doesn't come off as cheesy or forced. It wasn't even til I started reading some internet threads that I realized just how over the top some of these things were.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

savinhill posted:

It is a credit to Erikson's writing that stuff like this in the series feels natural and serious, and doesn't come off as cheesy or forced. It wasn't even til I started reading some internet threads that I realized just how over the top some of these things were.

Gruntle's stand in the tenement house. I think it was like 3 or 4 books later until I went "wait what the gently caress I forgot about that"

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

We got colour coded extra-dimensional elves, space dinosaurs riding upside-down mountains, an undead caveman army, green frost trolls/orcs, dragonfly riding grenadiers, super-jointed crystal wraiths and drug-psycho giants.

Hmm, did I miss any?

EDIT: Native America crow soul riders?

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 6, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The Tiste Edur are extremely Inuit. How did they forget how to make awesome explosives anyways?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

You forgot the various one-man armies that seem to stroll around. Though it's always surprising when one of them suddenly gets their teeth kicked in unexpectedly.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Semi-sentient houses that trap super powerful creatures forever and span an infinite multi-verse

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Crazy, evil, magic puppet.

[edit]

Aranan fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 6, 2014

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
an ancient, horny monkey that can take down the incredible hulk with the power of love

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
Reading Toll of Hounds and while it was a few months between finishing Reaper's Gale and this, I can't seem to remember one thing. I'm about a third of the way through the book but I can't remember: The Dying God isn't the Crippled God by another name right? Oh, and a comment; I'm getting very tired of Cutter's self pitying and the like. It's been like this for almost every book he's been in except for his first one and I'm done with it. I mean, I can fully understand people having low points but it just goes on and on.

I can't wait until I finish this series though, it will be fun to finally go through this thread in it's entirety.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

thecallahan posted:

Reading Toll of Hounds and while it was a few months between finishing Reaper's Gale and this, I can't seem to remember one thing. I'm about a third of the way through the book but I can't remember: The Dying God isn't the Crippled God by another name right? Oh, and a comment; I'm getting very tired of Cutter's self pitying and the like. It's been like this for almost every book he's been in except for his first one and I'm done with it. I mean, I can fully understand people having low points but it just goes on and on.

I can't wait until I finish this series though, it will be fun to finally go through this thread in it's entirety.

You find out by the end of this book.

If you really want to know,
No, it's not.

For anyone else who doesn't remember, (TtH spoilers) it's Bellurdan Skullcrusher, now ascended, from the first book.

EDIT: VV Thanks for pointing out, the above spoilers are for the first question you asked.

Yarrbossa fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 7, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thecallahan posted:

I'm getting very tired of Cutter's self pitying and the like. It's been like this for almost every book he's been in except for his first one and I'm done with it. I mean, I can fully understand people having low points but it just goes on and on.

The unquoted part was answered.

But as to the quoted part? It takes a long time for it to get better. He actually goes from one of my favorite characters in his first book to one of my least favorite characters across the books. Just barely above the useless Icarium.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Cutter does get to finish TtH on some really high notes though, so reading his parts won't be in vain if you're not enjoying them so far.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

savinhill posted:

Cutter does get to finish TtH on some really high notes though, so reading his parts won't be in vain if you're not enjoying them so far.

Well, that's a relief. He was an okay character in Gardens of the Moon, but I'm just starting Toll the Hounds and have found him insufferable ever since. Icarium started off interesting, but with no real character development since his introduction, Ifind sectinos with him to be a slog. Mappo makes up for a lot, however. I can't help but wonder if these sentiments are intended by the author, however. Most characters seem to like Fiddler and barely tolerate Hedge, in spite of their friendship, and I feel much the same.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Uh, I personally think Unidaas and Heboric are pretty annoying. Even the other characters are frankly sick of having to hear constant whiny and nihilistic speeches.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Really? Heboric I understand, but Udinaas has grown on me throughout the series. Maybe it's because his nihilism degenerates into "Oh yeah? Well gently caress you too!" rather than "I shall sit here despondently until death takes my gloomy, worthless soul in this, my hopeless existence." I saw a real turning point when he told Feather Witch to get lost.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

udinaas got a pass from me because it was also amusing how he was a normal dude surrounded by demi-gods and held his own through the power of sarcasm and not giving a poo poo.

Also, I could not stop thinking of this whenever the K'chain Chemalle showed up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uhZ8l56_p8

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

So I've been reading Toll the Hounds, and the part where the undead soletaken dragon told Kallor he was a massive bitch was magical to me.
Aka that character dropping the factoid about why the jaghuts are so broken as a race.Just a small matter of the entire jaghut race going to war against Death...no big deal. which explains how Hood became Hood.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I really need to do a re-read because I never caught a lot of this stuff.