Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Monthly is fine as long as the quality and nature of the content warrants it, which seems to be the case here. *Stares at the Besties*

Speaking of Polygon, I gave a listen to Friends List and while fine from a content perspective, even I can sit next to a decent microphone. The audio quality is so bad as to be distracting. Sure its a daily thing, but still there are things you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

On the subject of new challengers entering the ring -- Daft Souls from two of the guys from Shut Up and Sit Down (an excellent board game review site) is two episodes into a new video game podast and I'm liking it so far. They have an assortment of other British-type people, none of whom I really recognize. The discussion is a little more free wheeling when it comes to older games than some of the establishment casts, but that might just be because it's new so they don't have to worry about talking about stuff they've mentioned before?

They say it's going to be bi-weekly but so far there have been two episodes in a week so maybe I'm parsing that wrong?

E: I just noticed I got the name of the podcast wrong. Hurrrr.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 2, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

They say it's going to be bi-weekly but so far there have been two episodes in a week so maybe I'm parsing that wrong?
I would presume, if they're British, if they meant "once every two weeks" they'd have said "fortnightly". Either that, or it's just that "biweekly" means both "twice a week" and "once every two weeks" because English is a dumb language.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

NmareBfly posted:

I think they got some more people on to help, so they've upped the schedule. Really liked episode 2, tempted to pick up Planescape from GoG. Or should I wait for a sale?

Fake edit: confirmed on their Twitter.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
I'm going to +1 the recommendations people have made for Super Best Friendscast. I had written them off for a long time because the two best friends play videos on Machinima are kind of obnoxious. If you’re on a similar boat don’t let that stop you from checking out their podcast. Yes they can be a little shouty at times, but they have a genuine enthusiasm for video games that is infectious to listen to. They also cover certain games that I find are a little underrepresented on other gaming podcasts. ie – fighting games

Also, since they play a boatload of videogames you never run in to that thing other video games podcasts run in to where it’s been a week but half the crew didn’t manage to play anything, or they don’t have anything interesting to say because they plugged a couple hours in to a game just to have something to talk about on the podcast. They never sound like they’re tired from having to play a video game. They’re the antithesis to that feeling. It’s refreshing.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

On the recent idlethumbs it was pretty funny how as soon as they got done talking about overused turns of phrase Danielle unironically described something as "problematic" :laffo:

mortisXL
Jan 23, 2004
$297? More like $287!! LOL!

Fingers of Fury posted:

On the recent idlethumbs it was pretty funny how as soon as they got done talking about overused turns of phrase Danielle unironically described something as "problematic" :laffo:

Yeah that is pretty funny how she used the correct word for the concept she was conveying.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

MrMortisland posted:

Yeah that is pretty funny how she used the correct word for the concept she was conveying.

Also that "problematic" isn't a phrase

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Trexy posted:

I'm going to +1 the recommendations people have made for Super Best Friendscast. I had written them off for a long time because the two best friends play videos on Machinima are kind of obnoxious. If you’re on a similar boat don’t let that stop you from checking out their podcast. Yes they can be a little shouty at times, but they have a genuine enthusiasm for video games that is infectious to listen to. They also cover certain games that I find are a little underrepresented on other gaming podcasts. ie – fighting games

Also, since they play a boatload of videogames you never run in to that thing other video games podcasts run in to where it’s been a week but half the crew didn’t manage to play anything, or they don’t have anything interesting to say because they plugged a couple hours in to a game just to have something to talk about on the podcast. They never sound like they’re tired from having to play a video game. They’re the antithesis to that feeling. It’s refreshing.

More hype for the Friendcast is always good to see. It's definitely one of my favorite games casts now, I'm always looking forward to the new episode coming out. Also the newest episode where they went full Bombcast(energy drink reviews and talking about the Lang Zone) was hilarious.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

MrMortisland posted:

unironically defending tumblr memes, its the gift that keeps on giving!

mortisXL
Jan 23, 2004

Fingers of Fury posted:

Yeah man gently caress tumblr words should only be used how I say (I guess???)

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
new thumbs ep is great, also i finally realized what the new theme reminds me of: Mother 3. not sayin it's right, but it does.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Danielle is always great on Thumbs, just have her on every episode.

I know the guys don't want to be Bombcast length every week but I appreciated that this one was a meatier episode. There was some really good discussion and I liked that they didn't try and rush through it all just to cut the time down.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fingers of Fury posted:

You know "problematic" is also an actual word, right?

e: You know what else they do a lot of on tumblr? Posting.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 3, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have literally never heard of the fact(??) that problematic is apparently overused on Tumblr, but thank you for bringing it to my attention good sir. I shall promptly wipe it from my memory bank permanently!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'd better get in touch with all my old teachers and tell them they're idiots.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
"Problematic" isn't a tumblr meme, it's just overwhelmingly the word used around internet social justice circles to describe sexist/racist/etc. elements in media and society, to the point where it starts sounding like nails on a chalkboard after a while.

I haven't listened to the episode yet, but I can see how someone would think it was funny that she used it right after a discussion about overused phrases. Cool your nerd jets, geez.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

HMS Boromir posted:

"Problematic" isn't a tumblr meme, it's just overwhelmingly the word used around internet social justice circles to describe sexist/racist/etc. elements in media and society, to the point where it starts sounding like nails on a chalkboard after a while.

I agree that people should use stronger language but the reason people use the word problematic is that straight white males treat calling something racist/sexist/homophobic as the equivalent to a racial slur and fly off the handle. This seems especially prevalent in gaming circles where people are particularly hostile to criticism about the things they like. So now if you're a games writer and you say, for example, Bioshock Infinite is racist who boy get ready to not only receive death threats but 10,000 word essays from pseudo-intellectual Reddit/Goon types about no YOURE the racist. It's safer to just say Bioshock Infinite is problematic where only the most honed of anti-social-justice-warriors will flip out.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I googled her name and the second hit was a hit piece about how her review and score of Dragon's Crown was unfair and biased. All of the comments were "guys get sexualized too!"

There's a good reason why we have gamers.txt, and it's mostly because white dudes can't shut up about other people having opinions.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fingers of Fury posted:

Whoa, I better start posting on Pinterest so I can find some other faddish word.

I'm really impressed though, I had no idea that 'problematic' is some kind of racist dog whistle or something.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Whoa, I better start posting on Pinterest so I can find some other faddish word.

I'm really impressed though, I had no idea that 'problematic' is some kind of racist dog whistle or something.
It's not a racist dog whistle, it's a shut-in dog whistle, because the only people who flip out over it spend entirely too much time caring about Internet things.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Anti racist is code for anti white
Problematic is code for anti gamer

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

"Problematic" is a useful word because racism (amongst other kinds of discrimination) comes in various degrees, and is so institutionalized that it's possible to be racist even if that's not your intent. The cool thing is, though, it's okay to like problematic stuff as long as you're aware of and aren't afraid of addressing its faults. Unfortunately a lot of vocal gamers think even starting a discussion about these kind of topics means you want to chuck all of their games into a bonfire, so terms like SJW are thrown around to immediately dismiss people who want to talk about more than how many graphics the new AAA cover-based shooter has.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't
This is the exact reason people dislike the word problematic. It's not that they disagree with you at all, they're just tired that any time it is mentioned a bunch of goons show up to sling hyperbole around.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Trexy posted:

This is the exact reason people dislike the word problematic. It's not that they disagree with you at all, they're just tired that any time it is mentioned a bunch of goons show up to sling hyperbole around.

But those are the same people.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
This sure is problemtastic

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

new thumbs ep is great, also i finally realized what the new theme reminds me of: Mother 3. not sayin it's right, but it does.

First time I heard the new theme I immediately thought Earthbound so you're not crazy.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Trexy posted:

Are you saying that there would have been less poo poo about what she said if she had just used the word "bigoted" to describe South Park?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Trexy posted:

That's an even better reason to use it, then!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
A few people have shown up on the Idle Thumbs forum to complain (rudely) about the discussion of social stuff as well. It's weird and annoying.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey Jake, I know you read this thread, so I'll address it to you: can you guys lighten up on the idea that people should all be treated equally and fairly?

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

Wikipedia Brown posted:

A few people have shown up on the Idle Thumbs forum to complain (rudely) about the discussion of social stuff as well. It's weird and annoying.

Rudely is the new problematic

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

I bet if I'd been on the cast instead of Danielle and called South Park problematic and discussed it with Sean, nobody would say anything. Maybe one person would post the equivalent of a groan or eyeroll to twitter but that'd be it. We talk about social issues in game content a lot but people only come out of the woodwork and complain in public when they hear it from a woman, and the message is almost universally "shut up, I don't want to hear this from you." It's both tired and tiring.

Phone posted:

Hey Jake, I know you read this thread, so I'll address it to you: can you guys lighten up on the idea that people should all be treated equally and fairly?

lol yes. People who behave like shits just because a woman is expressing a not-positive opinion will be treated poorly in turn.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 3, 2014

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

ja2ke posted:

I bet if I'd been on the cast instead of Danielle and called South Park problematic and discussed it with Sean, nobody would say anything. Maybe one person would post the equivalent of a groan or eyeroll to twitter but that'd be it. We talk about social issues in game content a lot but people only come out of the woodwork and complain in public when they hear it from a woman, and the message is almost universally "shut up, I don't want to hear this from you." It's both tired and tiring.

lol yes. People who behave like shits just because a woman is expressing a not-positive opinion will be treated poorly in turn.

I believe that's what they call an ad hominem.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fingers of Fury posted:

I believe that's what they call an ad hominem.
I think you'll find it's what they call "90% of posts and comments on anything related to games".

You know how I know games aren't art? Because no-one calls an art critic a oval office for talking critically.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

ah right ad hominems and memes (critical thinking) truly the most refined art critics who don't deserve to be made fun of here on something awful where the internet is never mocked

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

I think you'll find it's what they call "90% of posts and comments on anything related to games".

You know how I know games aren't art? Because no-one calls an art critic a oval office for talking critically.

It's sad to say, but the art world isn't as widespread or accessible as video games are. I'm sure if the next exhibit at the Guggenheim reached out to millions of people all over the world who barely had to lift a finger to complain, there'd be a lot of cunts thrown around, too. It's kind of beside the point, but this same kind of stuff happens with every mass-media phenomenon. You might say it's even problematic!

Complaining about someone using a word entirely appropriately is some loving cuntshit, btw

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Fingers of Fury posted:

ah right ad hominems and memes (critical thinking) truly the most refined art critics who don't deserve to be made fun of here on something awful where the internet is never mocked
Are all your shoes velcro?

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

Dr. Stab posted:

Are you saying that there would have been less poo poo about what she said if she had just used the word "bigoted" to describe South Park?

In relation to this thread, yes I think Fingers of Fury wouldn't have felt compelled to post and this whole discussion could have been avoided.

In terms of people throwing a tantrum in other forums - those poo poo heads where going to complain regardless of what word she used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortisXL
Jan 23, 2004

Trexy posted:

In relation to this thread, yes I think Fingers of Fury wouldn't have felt compelled to post and this whole discussion could have been avoided.

In terms of people throwing a tantrum in other forums - those poo poo heads where going to complain regardless of what word she used.

See also: Chris himself makes the problematic mistake of using "problematic" later in the episode. No one seems to be pissed at him. I guess Danielle used her Feminist Mind Control to insert Tumblr memes into his brain.

Edit: problematic problematic problematic

mortisXL fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 3, 2014

• Locked thread