Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
Completely unrelated to all these exciting new releases, but Castle Doombad just dropped to $1. Good choice for anyone looking for a fun little tower defense game with a good sense of humor and great art direction/animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Fwiw I'm running it on a first gen iPad mini and it is running just fine (I've noticed 0 slowdown and am 5 sectors in). I'm assuming it's the same specs as the ipad 2.

Yeah they have the same specs. And the game works great. I haven't had a single flaw or long load time the whole time. I almost forgot the iOS could have a game on it that is programmed well.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

io_burn posted:

We use a service that tries to figure out where you are in the world based on your IP then serves up the proper referral program so we can get our pennies per click and I can pay my writers. Things sort of get crazy when you're trying to region hop, as you're clicking a link for the New Zealand App Store, but our referral program thing is basically saying "Hey this dude is in the USA, let's send him to the US App Store via Link Share instead!" It doesn't exist on the US App Store, so, you get nothing. The way around this just copying and pasting the raw iTunes link and dumping it in to your browser:

http://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/hearthstone-heroes-warcraft/id625257520?mt=8

Sorry about that, soft launches sort of screw things up.

Just signing into the Canadian App Store first worked for me for what it's worth.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

tuyop posted:

Those games are great.
Eh, King Cashing 2 gets pretty lovely around the end/late levels.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is a great week for iOS.

I played through one system of FTL. So far, I think they've done a great job of translating the controls to touch. There's a lot going on though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I started up my pc FTL and I've ragequit several times already. So the controls seem pretty good for the ios version? :v:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Just signing into the Canadian App Store first worked for me for what it's worth.

Hey, finally got around to trying this and it worked. Thanks for the help guys

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The ios controls are perfect. This game and expansion pack and port are so well done I don't know if I'm being a fanboy or if it's deserved!

The pocket tactics dude seemed to think that you can't control weapons power allocation like the other subsystems but you can. With the weapon bar minimized you can swipe up or down to power your weapons. Just rearrange them in the order you want powered up first.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Kepa posted:

They identify after use BUT

In classic Roguelike fashion, every time you die or start a new game, all the potion colors become unidentified and re-randomized. I think that may be what's throwing you off.

By the way, SUPER HUGE TIP: Get a bomberman helmet and then do the Very Hard "The Signal" mission. The turrets and the robots hit for heat damage. You'll be heat invulnerable. Then switch your helmet to the Amulet of Yendor as soon as you can pick it up. Easy farming of that mission, and also the Amulet is the best "helmet" in the entire game.
Is a bomberman helmet a 5-star item or something lesser? I just blew my crystal savings trying to pull one but no luck.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
FTL!!!

So excited. I wish I didn't leave my iPad at home today. I've wanted this for iPad since I first played it on PC. Seems like the perfect iPad game. I don't really like playing games on my PC, but can see myself spending a disgusting amount of time playing this on the iPad. This is my most anticipated iOS game ever and I'm surely going to be disappointed! Yay hyping myself up!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tiny Thief and Transport Tycoon received content updates today as well.

What a day.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

ddogflex posted:

FTL!!!

So excited. I wish I didn't leave my iPad at home today. I've wanted this for iPad since I first played it on PC. Seems like the perfect iPad game. I don't really like playing games on my PC, but can see myself spending a disgusting amount of time playing this on the iPad. This is my most anticipated iOS game ever and I'm surely going to be disappointed! Yay hyping myself up!

You're not going to be disappointed. It's literally FTL with a fantastic touch interface and a shitload of new content.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
I played about 3 hours of Hearthstone on the iPad last night. It is essentially a pixel perfect port of the PC version, which you'd expect because they're using the Unity game engine.

There are some frame rate issues and stutering while new scenes load on my 4th gen iPad but it's still highly enjoyable and easy to play. I've put hundreds of hours in HS on the PC and I imagine the iPad will be my primary way to play going forward.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Between FTL, Hearthstone and Monument Valley I am straight up shocked that this thread has not loving collapsed under itself in posts. Seriously.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Between FTL, Hearthstone and Monument Valley I am straight up shocked that this thread has not loving collapsed under itself in posts. Seriously.

People too busy playing.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I got the iPad Air last night and am selling my iPad 2 to feed my gaming habit. That's a lot of hamburgers.

But it's worth it now that Assault Squad doesn't constantly crash. Although I did lose my (3 days) progress somehow, and lost my Boom Beach progress as well. Crappy crap crap.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Feenix posted:

Uh, none of those are Nimblebit games, so...?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone tried Hearthstone on an iPad 2 yet? It hasn't released over here. Hopefully it's not too resource-intensive.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Has anyone tried Hearthstone on an iPad 2 yet? It hasn't released over here. Hopefully it's not too resource-intensive.

I made a Canadian App Store account to try it out on my original Mini (basically the same hardware as the 2). It's pretty choppy, but it's playable and I haven't seen any crashes.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Monument Valley is already #11 in all paid apps.

Well deserved.

And of course FTL is already #2 for iPad.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Feenix posted:

Monument Valley aside those two are ports of games with their own established threads already.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Those games also cost money and this thread only ever gets busy when free or 99c garbage is released.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
On that note, I'm genuinely surprised that no one has complained that the new content Tiny Thief update is $1.99. I loved the hell out of the game, so I'm perfectly OK with throwing another two bucks at dev.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FTL is fantastic. Get it now.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I have a games-related question: is there a way to link directly to a Game Center profile? There's a URL scheme for it (i.e. links that begin gamecenter:// will open the app) but I can't figure out how to send it to a given profile. Would make it way easier to add friends, instead of "search for $nickname".

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I think at this point the ipad is now my preferred way to play FTL. This port is phenomenal.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Annexed posted:

FTL is fantastic. Get it now.

Science fiction is extremely my poo poo, but I questioned getting FTL because of not liking games like Star Command. Man I am glad I did because what a fun game. Not to dogpile the FTL praising, but I wanted to mention it that if you did not like games that superficially looked similar, you still probably want to give this game a go because it is just that good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The iPad port of Hearthstone is awesome. Only snag is it runs about as smoothly on my iPad 3 as on my x120e netbook. Stutter in a lot of the same places. The loading screen for finding an opponent is a particularly bad spot for it as are transitions between the main menu and anything. Once you're in a match it tends to be very smooth though. I wonder if it's the sort of thing that could be sorted out in a patch.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh, if you guys haven't played it, FTL is what Star Command should have been. I am sort of bummed that you can't transfer over unlocked ships and get the 'no rebel pursuit' mod on iOS, but it's such a good game that it hardly matters.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Bogart posted:

Oh, if you guys haven't played it, FTL is what Star Command should have been. I am sort of bummed that you can't transfer over unlocked ships and get the 'no rebel pursuit' mod on iOS, but it's such a good game that it hardly matters.

Star Command + Out There, and better at what each one does individually than either.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm guessing FTL is too complicated for play on an iPhone and is never coming to that?

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

choobs posted:

On that note, I'm genuinely surprised that no one has complained that the new content Tiny Thief update is $1.99. I loved the hell out of the game, so I'm perfectly OK with throwing another two bucks at dev.

I think anybody that's played that far into Tiny Thief adores it AS WE ALL DO. So kind of a no brainer.

Picked up Monument Valley too, digging that one so far.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm guessing FTL is too complicated for play on an iPhone and is never coming to that?

I've got no idea how they can shrink the UI to be playable on the iPhone. :\ Basically every button on screen is valuable.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Bogart posted:

Not just me who loves that mod then. Still, at least the port will give me a good reason to get better at playing the game as intended, rather than stripping every sector of useful things before moving on.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
It's crazy how used to everything automagically syncing you get with all of these online-required games on iOS nowadays. That's the one bummer for me about FTL is I wish I could somehow backup/transfer saves between my iPad Air and iPad mini... But I realize this is probably about the most first world problem I could ever complain about.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

io_burn posted:

It's crazy how used to everything automagically syncing you get with all of these online-required games on iOS nowadays. That's the one bummer for me about FTL is I wish I could somehow backup/transfer saves between my iPad Air and iPad mini... But I realize this is probably about the most first world problem I could ever complain about.

My most first world problem is that card city night's soundtrack cost 8 times more than the game did.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

io_burn posted:

I've got no idea how they can shrink the UI to be playable on the iPhone. :\ Basically every button on screen is valuable.

Ah. That's one cool thing about the possibility of bigger iPhones is that some iPad only games could get ported over.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm kinda disappointed by how short Monument Valley was. I'm pretty sure the entire thing took under an hour, unless I'm missing some other content. The landscapes are pretty, the mechanics are well done. The puzzles are a little too straightforward, it often felt like it was just "walk to the only thing within reach, which will unlock a new thing to walk to" until a couple puzzles at the very end that actually required some thought. Like, they have this neat "look what we can do with the terrain!" is more the point of the game, and the puzzles are just a vehicle to show that off.

I don't regret buying it, but I wish there was a) more content, and b) more difficult puzzles. Tons of potential here.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
I'm guessing that with the soft launch, Hearthstone for iPad is a week or two away from release anywhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bad Munki posted:

I'm kinda disappointed by how short Monument Valley was. I'm pretty sure the entire thing took under an hour, unless I'm missing some other content. The landscapes are pretty, the mechanics are well done. The puzzles are a little too straightforward, it often felt like it was just "walk to the only thing within reach, which will unlock a new thing to walk to" until a couple puzzles at the very end that actually required some thought. Like, they have this neat "look what we can do with the terrain!" is more the point of the game, and the puzzles are just a vehicle to show that off.

I don't regret buying it, but I wish there was a) more content, and b) more difficult puzzles. Tons of potential here.

I haven't finished it but these are my two fears.

Not that I want it to be deviously difficult, but right now it's more like an interactive art piece than a puzzle game.

I just like being in the world with the graphics and the sounds. How long is it? I'm on VI.

• Locked thread