Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Craig did such a great job on TPiR, he got so loving excited whenever the contestants won. I grinned like an idiot the whole time. Craig is just pure entertainment.

Me too, that was great. I haven't see Carey on TLLS but I can't imagine he could be as entertaining as Craig was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ. So I DVRed the Pete Holmes show tonight because I saw on a commercial during Conan that Jason Mantzoukas was on tonight, and I'm watching it now. I literally had to fast forward after a minute or two of the monologue and then a minute or two of the skit because they were both painfully unfunny. How does this dude still have a show? Lopez Tonight was funnier than this poo poo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Me too, that was great. I haven't see Carey on TLLS but I can't imagine he could be as entertaining as Craig was.

Drew tried his best but he just can't do Craig's thing. Some of Drew's jokes were too easy or too obvious, which is where Craig shines because even when a joke dies he can kick it back to Geoff and it'll come out totally different. Drew even made some game attempts to get some good Fergusonian banter going with his sidekick but it's clear that bringing on TPIR announcer to fill in for Geoff was far from optimal. Man, that guy was super awkward.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Craig is currently shopping a game called "Celebrity Name Game" of which he will host if it is picked up. I'm not sure if it's network fare or if he's seeking a syndication pickup but his little stunt hosting TPIR was a free screen test for potential buyers to show that this CraigyFerg guy has charisma and charm to emcee a game show.

I like how genuinely excited and amazed Craig was for the TPIR contestants when they were doing well in their pricing games (especially the woman who made a really good run at the Lucky Seven game). He sometimes seemed overwhelmed by the pure high energy TPIR contestants bring to the table, which to be fair they are always over-caffeinated hyperactive nutballs. If Disneyland is "The Happiest Place on Earth" then Studio 33 at Television City, Hollywood is a very close second.

Drew did pretty good hosting TLLS. The biggest problem Drew has is he tends to laugh at his own jokes. He's kind of always done this so it's a habit that's pretty hardwired and next to impossible to break. Also, I agree that George Grey was a non-entity as a late night sidekick and the TPIR models didn't really have much to do either.

Drew's interview with Carl Reiner made me sad because while he still seemed pretty sharp, Carl is age 92 and won't be with us for too much longer and then we'll be stuck with only Meathead in the Reiner lineage. :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watching Craig's TPIR episode. This is really fun :D I'm not usually a fan of his Late Late Show, but man, he is a great fit for TPIR.

This is the most enjoyable part:

Robnoxious posted:

I like how genuinely excited and amazed Craig was for the TPIR contestants when they were doing well in their pricing games (especially the woman who made a really good run at the Lucky Seven game). He sometimes seemed overwhelmed by the pure high energy TPIR contestants bring to the table, which to be fair they are always over-caffeinated hyperactive nutballs. If Disneyland is "The Happiest Place on Earth" then Studio 33 at Television City, Hollywood is a very close second.
I don't watch TPIR regularly but I definitely would if Craig became the new host. I've seen Drew's TPIR before and it just doesn't have the same energy level as this.

Also the audience seems confused as hell anytime Geoff comes on screen and it's loving hilarious :lol:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I find it amusing that Tu Yen and Lisa are better at looking fun and natural and having a dance when they get involved than the Price is Right models were on the Late Late Show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gonz posted:

I had to explain to my grandmother earlier today why a gay robot skeleton, a fake horse and a Scottish man hosted her favorite TV game show.

I didn't watch it, but I imagine Craig's humor was probably pretty weird for some of the Price is Right regular viewers.

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

Craig is currently shopping a game called "Celebrity Name Game" of which he will host if it is picked up. I'm not sure if it's network fare or if he's seeking a syndication pickup but his little stunt hosting TPIR was a free screen test for potential buyers to show that this CraigyFerg guy has charisma and charm to emcee a game show.

Syndication and it has been picked up in 40% of the country, including 7 of the top 10 markets.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/craig-fergusons-celebrity-name-game-656459

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't watch it, but I imagine Craig's humor was probably pretty weird for some of the Price is Right regular viewers.

I noticed how Craig emphasized "rear end" when he said "Aspercreme".

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aphrodite posted:

He definitely kept a lid on the majority of his weirdness; he spent most of the time just having fun with the contestants. One of Craig's biggest strengths is being able to have fun with basically anyone he just pulls out of the audience.

I loved how loving bewildered people were by Geoff and Secretariat, though. I can't blame them, the first time I switched over to Craig I didn't quite understand what I was seeing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MikeJF posted:

I find it amusing that Tu Yen and Lisa are better at looking fun and natural and having a dance when they get involved than the Price is Right models were on the Late Late Show.

Let's be fair, though; it took a while before they really got used to it. I remember Lisa being awkward and embarrassed when they first started doing the dance segments. She's gotten over it, which is fun when you realize it.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
Denis Leary's hair is outta control.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

http://tvline.com/2014/04/03/david-letterman-retiring-2015-leaving-late-show/

Breaking: David Letterman Announces Retirement

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
David Letterman just announced his retirement. His last show will be in 2015.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Conan's contract is until 2015 too. That's way too convenient to not be the plan.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I hear Jay and Chelsea are looking for a job...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Guess it was announced too late to be an April Fools joke :v:

Part of me admires the guy for doing it for so long, but another part of me is glad he's getting out because I rarely find him funny when I watch his show. He does have some of the best musical guests on his show, I'll give the show that. Although I don't know how much of that is his influence.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Quest For Glory II posted:

Conan's contract is until 2015 too. That's way too convenient to not be the plan.

Hmm, would he have to move back to NYC?

cka
May 3, 2004
I'm sure Leno's circling the Ed Sullivan theater already like a hungry vulture

Quest For Glory II posted:

Why, though? It doesn't seem like he's unhappy at TBS or anything like that, and over there he has full control over his show (which probably has more worth than any dollar amount CBS could throw at him considering the past NBC indiscretions), so why would there be a big push back to 11:30 network? I'm sure Lettermans Worldwide Pants company will still want control over the show and who goes in to take the time slot over, so it'll probably be a new player assuming Ferguson doesn't get bumped up an hour.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Good for Letterman but I keep thinking about Craig's talk about leaving when Dave leaves... :ohdear:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

Good for Letterman but I keep thinking about Craig's talk about leaving when Dave leaves... :ohdear:

Craig's got a family to support. I hope he doesn't leave.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

It's probably a good time to do it now before he becomes the new most hated man in late night by default.

Also I think Conan feels more comfortable on basic cable than on broadcast in that time slot.

In any case, hold on to your butts

e: And you notice this is only weeks after Fallon successfully took over Tonight. It sorta reminds me of how Carson, Letterman's idol, ended his show.

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 3, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Geno posted:

Hmm, would he have to move back to NYC?

It's possible that CBS might actually like to have the Late Show move to LA; that lets them grab some of the Hollywood guests that NBC can't book as easily because both of their shows are in New York.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's possible that CBS might actually like to have the Late Show move to LA; that lets them grab some of the Hollywood guests that NBC can't book as easily because both of their shows are in New York.

I was thinking about that. Then again, CBS continued to use Ed Sullivan to tape other programs between Sullivan and Letterman. Maybe they can sell it for a nice sum.

Video just surfaced of his announcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9eYkpgeeI8

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

As someone in the older part of SAs membership, it's sad to me that many of the people here likely only know Letterman from his CBS incarnation.

I'm old enough to remember when Johnny Carson retired. For years before that, I didn't get why Carson was held up so high, why he was such an influence, and I think a lot of people will think the same of Letterman. I don't know if it's possible to convey how he impacted people in his best years. A lot of comedians cite him as being huge in their professional lives and I'll go one step further. Excepting the people I lived around of course, I think NBC David Letterman probably had more influence on my personality than any other figure (I was in high school when Dave was in his prime). That kind of voice just wasn't around then: the cynical smartass who was taking the piss out of the genre and even the medium while still knowing how to work brilliantly within it. Late Night with David Letterman did stuff that would be risky and weird today, so it was waaaay out there back then. Just the fact that he let Chris Elliot do his thing was amazing and proof of his dedication to pushing boundaries even if it didn't always click.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
It's hard to overstate Letterman's influence on an entire generation of comedy.

I was just a little kid in the 80's and didn't really start following him until the early 90's-onward, but his talent was obvious to me. Dave is a broadcaster. Pure and simple. And he was a major force in his generation. This is a good time to step aside.

On the Late Show front, I think a switch to LA might be in the offing. It made sense to put it in New York when Dave created the show because Dave had such a huge connection to the east coast and they absolutely loved him there. Why mess with that, right? Now, though, unless they get someone with equally big ties, there's no reason they can't shift it over to the West Coast.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
Oh gently caress me. He literally had a perfect show last night. Can Bill Murray stay until the end? What will happen to Jack Hanna? I don't want to say goodbye.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

cka posted:

assuming Ferguson doesn't get bumped up an hour.

I'm not sure I want this, really. Ferguson's magical with the relative lack of resources they give him. Giving him too much money to work with might flood his creative engine, as it were.

The most optimal solution is to move him up an hour, keep his budget the same, and rename it the Early Late Show.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

As someone in the older part of SAs membership, it's sad to me that many of the people here likely only know Letterman from his CBS incarnation.

I'm old enough to remember when Johnny Carson retired. For years before that, I didn't get why Carson was held up so high, why he was such an influence, and I think a lot of people will think the same of Letterman. I don't know if it's possible to convey how he impacted people in his best years. A lot of comedians cite him as being huge in their professional lives and I'll go one step further. Excepting the people I lived around of course, I think NBC David Letterman probably had more influence on my personality than any other figure (I was in high school when Dave was in his prime). That kind of voice just wasn't around then: the cynical smartass who was taking the piss out of the genre and even the medium while still knowing how to work brilliantly within it. Late Night with David Letterman did stuff that would be risky and weird today, so it was waaaay out there back then. Just the fact that he let Chris Elliot do his thing was amazing and proof of his dedication to pushing boundaries even if it didn't always click.

His old Late Night show had this element of anarchic stupidity which he lost when he moved to CBS. Conan and Craig have specific parts of it; the knowing idiocy in Conan's sketches which can only come from overeducated people focusing on the inane, and Craig's effortless improvisation and near disdain for structure or planning. But neither have the entirety of what made Dave so great.

e: one of my favorite old bits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_D6PVE_N9c&t=1850s

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 4, 2014

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Vertical Lime posted:

Also I think Conan feels more comfortable on basic cable than on broadcast in that time slot.

My pointless and likely wrong speculation:

Chelsea Handler- Just announced she's leaving E! I don't see it.
Jimmy Kimmel- Said a month ago that he would consider taking the job if Letterman asked him. I think he will stay where he is unless there's some issue with ABC and he's tired of them.
Conan- Contracts expire at the same time, Letterman loves him. I think it's a fairly strong possibility.
Craig- Said he doesn't want the job (which was what Letterman said about The Tonight Show) and I think he'd have to tone down what makes him great to translate to 11:30 (which was what everyone said about Letterman).
Jon Stewart- Company relationship. He's been on the same show forever and has hit the ceiling in terms of viewers, impact, and money. If I had to bet, I think he'll get it.

Wild Cards (people I've never heard being considered):
I thought this before they announced Fallon's replacement. I think Amy Poehler would be brilliant. She's ridiculously fast-witted and likable. She produces a show on a Viacom network. Of course, there's the problem that she's already employed on a critically acclaimed show that she has a lot of control of, so I doubt it would happen. But I'd love to see it.

Tina Fey, for most of the same reasons. She's not locked into a show, but I don't think she's interested in that kind of grind. I do think she'd be great though.

Stephen Colbert- His non-character personality seems perfect to me and he has the same network relationship as Stewart. I think the network would find him to be too big a risk as the country doesn't have much experience seeing him as himself.

Super Duper Wild Card:
Patton Oswalt. No chance for many reasons, but I also think he'd be awesome.

quote:

In any case, hold on to your butts.

That is for drat sure.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 4, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cka posted:

Why, though? It doesn't seem like he's unhappy at TBS or anything like that, and over there he has full control over his show (which probably has more worth than any dollar amount CBS could throw at him considering the past NBC indiscretions), so why would there be a big push back to 11:30 network?
You only get so many opportunities to move up. TBS can say they'll have Conan for as long as he wants but NBC said that once; you can't really take a network at their handshake. And TBS is minor league baseball, anyway.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Complete wildcard idea: Ellen DeGeneres.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Timby posted:

Complete wildcard idea: Ellen DeGeneres.

Yep, I was just reading the EW story about it and they had a bunch of celebrity tweets, her among them and I realized I hadn't thought of her.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Noooooo Dave, say it ain't so.

Now CraigyFreg might walk in a year :(
It's not time yet for Secretariat to go out to pasture.

Finnin
Mar 25, 2014

by Ralp
For some reason I like the idea of someone like Joel McHale for this but I know it's impossible so oh well.

Give it to stewart.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Ellen isn't a bad idea. Someone once said her daytime show was like Letterman's short-lived daytime show. And obviously it's someone who has a similar style as Fallon.

I heard that Stewart-to-CBS rumor years ago (back when CBS and Comedy Central were co-owned) but I doubt Stewart would leave now.

Turns out before he went to HBO, CBS was talking to John Oliver about the 12:30 slot:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cbs-approached-john-oliver-late-693587

edit: They put up his retirement announcement in it's entirety:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5sVI_-LRCI

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 4, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Somebody here said 11 year olds shouldn't be watching late night TV. When I was enrolled in school at <5, I leaned it was going to suck because I couldn't watch Letterman with my Mom anymore. The oversized refrigerators and Alkaseltzer suits were entertaining. Even when Monica jokes (or Bush jokes) got old, there was "how many guys in mascot costumes can fit inside a Starbucks" or "Please Stop Calling Me Chief."

I'm so old that Tony G the pizza guy asking people dumb questions seems new. It is pretty new compared to Dave giving the kids cigarettes for Halloween, or Mujibur and Sirajul, or Larry Melman as Every Celebrity Ever.

I have no idea who I want to replace him. Out of the available options, I guess Stephen Colbert.

"G'NIGHT, SUCKERS!!"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Craptacular! posted:

Mujibur and Sirajul

I loved how Letterman would take staff members or local business people and make them temporary celebrities. I remember a bit he did on Late Night when a woman on his staff was getting married and couldn't afford a nice honeymoon.. He would have her on as a guest each night for a week so that NBC had to pay her scale. Each night he would have her do different acts in order to get a higher payment. I think she ended up with several thousand dollars.

Sad Banana
Sep 7, 2011
As much as I love Colbert, and think that he would be the most solid bet for a ratings + great host combo, I can't help but hope they choose someone who's not a white guy. Tina Fey would be perfect, but would she want to go up against her buddy Jimmy Fallon?

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:

Craptacular! posted:

I'm so old that Tony G the pizza guy asking people dumb questions seems new. It is pretty new compared to Dave giving the kids cigarettes for Halloween, or Mujibur and Sirajul, or Larry Melman as Every Celebrity Ever.
Oh man, old school Letterman. The memories come flooding back.

There was a period where he inexplicably referred to Paul Shaffer as JOHNNY CARWASH. No idea why I remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy gently caress, Conan brought back the Walker Texas Ranger lever for his final Dallas show :swoon:

It's been years since we've seen that thing.