Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Interesting article, following up on the Garlett thing which got discussed a bit a week or so back, which touches on some of the research that's been done regarding the various difficulties indigenous players have to deal with when they get picked up by an AFL club.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/culture-shock-can-make-or-break-indigenous-afl-players-20140402-zqph1.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

The Deadly Hume posted:

All games on a Saturday afternoon like the old days. :colbert:

I'm not sure the local leagues would agree with you there.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

The Deadly Hume posted:

Interesting article, following up on the Garlett thing which got discussed a bit a week or so back, which touches on some of the research that's been done regarding the various difficulties indigenous players have to deal with when they get picked up by an AFL club.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/culture-shock-can-make-or-break-indigenous-afl-players-20140402-zqph1.html

Thanks I would have missed this.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Kruezer out for 2months+ fuckiiiinnngggg yyyyeessss kill me

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I heard he was doing a full training session to assess if he was good to go.

I guess it didn't go well.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sounds like Carlton has picked up that fitness guru that the Saints had there for a while

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Or Freo's from a few years ago when the majority of their list was injured.

I guess it kinda evens it out though with Ryder out. Carlisle won't be great in the ruck, but neither is Warnock.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
funny thing is assuming you're talking about Dave Misson, he actually went to Melbourne.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Gough Suppressant posted:

funny thing is assuming you're talking about Dave Misson, he actually went to Melbourne.

I guess with the new job he's changed his focus to causing soft tissue injuries between the ears then.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Warnock is OK in the ruck, he's just not strong on running, kicking, handballing, marking, tackling, shepherding, things like that.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

gabensraum posted:

Warnock is OK in the ruck, he's just not strong on running, kicking, handballing, marking, tackling, shepherding, things like that.

He's an Ace player at standing around staring at play.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
one of the best in sitting down cramped up in the last minute of play

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

SPANGHER!!!!!!!!

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

one of the best in sitting down cramped up in the last minute of play

Don't forget he's also a gun at pin point accurate kicking. He can hit an opposition player square on the chest from 20m away.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Windmill Hut posted:

SPANGHER!!!!!!!!

I barely know her

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

So?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Windmill Hut posted:

SPANGHER!!!!!!!!

SPANGHER!!!!!!!!

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
What's the hype about spangher all about? All I remember was an average player with injury issues at west coast. Never really did enough to hold his spot.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

A) His name is SPANGHER!!!

B) He's a big scruffy looking galoot

C) He did pretty well in the VFL GF last year and a few other things

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
He played really well late in the season (finals?) only to miss selection for the GF

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

spamman posted:

SPANGHER!!!!!!!!

Jesus hath returned 2 weeks earlier than expected.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
An interesting rebuttal of the Secret Footballer from Luke Ablett.
Link

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Oh god Supercoach is already causing my to pull my hair out.
Barlow out for up to 6 weeks. gently caress.
Ryder is being a massive spud and has a top 10 breakeven, gently caress.

Ok Ryder for Hickey is easy enough.
Going to swap in Selwood for Barlow, b/e of 80odd.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
In my SC Draft league I had by far the most points over the first two rounds. Our matches start this week and now I've lost Barlow and Deledio.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

That's why I decided not to do it this year. I'd spend hours researching and perfecting the team and then they'd all go down with injury by halfway through the season. Too frustrating.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
I feel a bit disloyal linking this but holy hell it's good.

The Wolf of Kings Cross

EDIT: 100% Accurate IMO.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 4, 2014

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

This is why I stick to tips; easier by a couple of orders of magnitude, and my main reaction to someone being rubbed out is to think, how will that affect the result.

Spangher's probably not in our best 22 but he's a pretty handy spare parts player when we've got a few outs. Might get a bit more of a run too now that Buddy's gone. Not that he's of the same quality, but if we're playing a club where four tall forward/rucks would be useful (dunno if he can even do hitouts, but we've got three that can) then there'll be something for him to do.

Match tonight should be good. I'm a bit happier Mitchell is back in as well.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Going to be going to my first actual game at Whitten Oval in like 18 years if not longer.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

They should be calling the AFL team Footscray as well. What are they ashamed of?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

The Deadly Hume posted:

They should be calling the AFL team Footscray as well. What are they ashamed of?

The AFL probably thinks that people in Wyndham won't support them if they're called Footscray

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Haters Objector posted:

The AFL probably thinks that people in Wyndham won't support them if they're called Footscray
It's not the AFL's decision, the club itself (well, David Smorgon actually) decided that "Footscray" wasn't marketable.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

It's not the AFL's decision, the club itself (well, David Smorgon actually) decided that "Footscray" wasn't marketable.

Peter Gordon also decided that it wouldn't be feasible to throw away 15 years of marketing as the Western Bulldogs without testing the water with how people would react to us being Footscray again. The old jumper was received well when we bought it back but there's still no idea how us being Footscray again would be received.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
yeah, as much as I like preserving the heritage, if you can change your name and by doing that lay some sort of claim to everything west of Windy Hill, why wouldn't you?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

I was more stressed out by Supercoach running like a wet turd than making selections. It's easy to drill down to which information you need at the time. It's really easy just to be inundated with dumb stats.

Speaking of being dumb. Supercoach betting.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Reluctantly tipped Hawthorn tonight. It's one of those games where the Hawks supporter at work thinks Freo will win, while the Freo supporter (yes I work with a Freo supporter, in Hobart, holy poo poo) believes the Hawks will win. I have no idea really.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Pretty confident the Hawks will win it. Mzungu is on the ball.. That shows how much they're going to miss Fyfe and Barlow.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

yeah, as much as I like preserving the heritage, if you can change your name and by doing that lay some sort of claim to everything west of Windy Hill, why wouldn't you?
It's helped their membership numbers against those clubs that have opted not to go for generic names, hasn't it? Similar deal with "The Kangaroos". Conversely, St Kilda haven't played in that suburb for fifty years and seem to have divvied up the South-East* with Hawthorn (probably due to their co-tenancy at Waverley) and have a drat good membership considering how luckless they've been.

(* - although you get people following all clubs everywhere in Victoria, which is kind of neat.)

I mean, I still get irked by the GWS appellation - as I've mentioned in these threads before, one of my ideas was they call themselves Cumberland, though I can see a problem as that doesn't work too well as an abbreviation. (poo poo, for all I know it may have even been on the table at their marketing meeting and struck off for that reason.)

Then again I'm a weirdo who thinks the Cumberland Hoppers would've been a good AFL club name.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 4, 2014

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

North should probably do more to try and capture new fans in the northern growth areas, cos the only people living in North Melbourne are students and gentry. The North Melbourne Cricket Club got kicked off Arden Street a few years ago, floated around like nomads for a bit, and this season moved to Greenvale to capitalise on the population boom up that way.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The Deadly Hume posted:

It's helped their membership numbers against those clubs that have opted not to go for generic names, hasn't it? Similar deal with "The Kangaroos". Conversely, St Kilda haven't played in that suburb for fifty years and seem to have divvied up the South-East* with Hawthorn (probably due to their co-tenancy at Waverley) and have a drat good membership considering how luckless they've been.

(* - although you get people following all clubs everywhere in Victoria, which is kind of neat.)

I mean, I still get irked by the GWS appellation - as I've mentioned in these threads before, one of my ideas was they call themselves Cumberland, though I can see a problem as that doesn't work too well as an abbreviation. (poo poo, for all I know it may have even been on the table at their marketing meeting and struck off for that reason.)

Then again I'm a weirdo who thinks the Cumberland Hoppers would've been a good AFL club name.

I think it's more about other aspects of a club, or their culture, fitting an area well. Essendon have the North West sewn up not just because hey hey we're Essendon, but also they've got that aviator thing going and there's 2 major airports in the region, which means people can pretty readily identify with the team called the Bombers. When you think of St.Kilda you tend to think of a blonde beach bum lifestyle, which felt like a big part of the club culture back in the day, and a lot of the people living on the bay between Frankston and Port Melbourne can identify with that quite strongly.

North Melbourne represents...inner city industrial/working class....which doesn't really exist so much anymore, I mean there's a few old mills and things near Ardent st that are still kicking but most have been bought for apartments/cafes so latte sippers like me can get onboard. I think the smart thing for North to do is rebadge itself as an immigrant club, there's an awful lof of African migration in North Melboune/Kensington. I mean I hate to sound cynical, but when I look at Majak Daw I do sometimes wonder if he's a bonafide player they believe in or a marketing ploy to sew up a new audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hiddenmovement posted:

I think it's more about other aspects of a club, or their culture, fitting an area well. Essendon have the North West sewn up not just because hey hey we're Essendon, but also they've got that aviator thing going and there's 2 major airports in the region, which means people can pretty readily identify with the team called the Bombers. When you think of St.Kilda you tend to think of a blonde beach bum lifestyle, which felt like a big part of the club culture back in the day, and a lot of the people living on the bay between Frankston and Port Melbourne can identify with that quite strongly.

North Melbourne represents...inner city industrial/working class....which doesn't really exist so much anymore, I mean there's a few old mills and things near Ardent st that are still kicking but most have been bought for apartments/cafes so latte sippers like me can get onboard. I think the smart thing for North to do is rebadge itself as an immigrant club, there's an awful lof of African migration in North Melboune/Kensington. I mean I hate to sound cynical, but when I look at Majak Daw I do sometimes wonder if he's a bonafide player they believe in or a marketing ploy to sew up a new audience.

He did kick six goals in like his third AFL game or something.

• Locked thread