Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Probably got fired for sleeping in peoples cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

adnam posted:

All of you shut up. I saw that the thread was updated and held my breath for more supercar insanity, and instead I got a bunch of old men arguing about benchpressing Geo Metros.

This is exactly how I feel every time I see a new post in here and it's not the OP.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

This thread is the best AI Christmas present ever.

Apparently Christmas is over. :(

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

meatpimp posted:

Apparently Christmas is over. :(

Sorry little Billy, James Wood is actually jamal. And Easter is just a pagan holiday.

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!

adnam posted:

All of you shut up. I saw that the thread was updated and held my breath for more supercar insanity, and instead I got a bunch of old men arguing about benchpressing Geo Metros.

I'm not old :c00lbert:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KillHour posted:

We already had one. You weren't invited. :colbert:

This is my backup plan if I ever forget how to parallel park.

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West
Oh loving sweet. A CCXR! A very good friend of mine works for Koenigsegg, you should keep your eyes peeled for the latest monster they making. The new ONE:1 with 1360 hp/1360kg or something insane like that. I live fairly close and I am hoping an inside factory visit is on the horizon :) The one there in your pictures is one of five in the USA from what I can tell. There is another for sale that is black with candy red accents and lots of carbon fiber.

My favorite model is the "Trevita" which there were only 3 made (Tre Vita = Three white). Fun fact is that when they made the Trevita model my friend told me that the painters had to work like a gazillion hours overtime and apparently they hated it since it was soooo much loving work to paint it with that special diamondweave stuff they got going.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Mgant posted:

My favorite model is the "Trevita" which there were only 3 made (Tre Vita = Three white). Fun fact is that when they made the Trevita model my friend told me that the painters had to work like a gazillion hours overtime and apparently they hated it since it was soooo much loving work to paint it with that special diamondweave stuff they got going.

No wonder it took forever, look at this loving picture:

I can only imagine the time needed to properly orient a woven skin to Koeniggseggggg's level of quality. :cry:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm a fan of this color scheme:

Clear-coated carbon, bright green, and green-tinted clear coat so the weave still shows through.

That one (or one just like it) was showcased in Drive's first Koenigsegg factory series, in the episode about paint naturally.

I'll say it again, if I won the lottery and was in the market for a supercar I'd probably go for Koenigsegg.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I got to play with this a few weeks ago and I took some exceedingly lovely phone pics to share. Seriously lovely and for that I'm sorry. My phone sucks and I didn't have a proper camera with me.

This car sounds loving phenomenal. Will report back when I have one to drive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy gently caress. What were you doing to it?

What's the stencil on the hood?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I was at PCNA in Ontario for a class and got to mess around this pre-production car that they use for training.

The stencil said Liquid Metal Silver which is an optional paint color that is one of those superdeep metallic paints (I think it's like a 10K option or some such craziness). This car was beat up and the paint looked kind of dull so I can't say what it looks like on a non beater car.

EDIT: It's actually a $64,000 dollar option for that paint. Looks pretty good in the shiny spots and I'm sure it's great when new and polished.

Found another pic too

EDIT x3: That's actually not a pic of the 918, just a 991. Here's the 918 wheel

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 4, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bugdrvr posted:

The stencil said Liquid Metal Silver which is an optional paint color that is one of those superdeep metallic paints (I think it's like a 10K option or some such craziness). This car was beat up and the paint looked kind of dull so I can't say what it looks like on a non beater car.

EDIT: It's actually a $64,000 dollar option for that paint. Looks pretty good in the shiny spots and I'm sure it's great when new and polished.

You're making GBS threads me, right?

SIXTY FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS. For a paintjob?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Only the finest German craftsmanship. :smug:

(it's on a car that costs as near as makes no difference $1m, $64k is chump change at that point)

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Something about having the GPS location there looks really cool

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West

Fucknag posted:

I'm a fan of this color scheme:

Clear-coated carbon, bright green, and green-tinted clear coat so the weave still shows through.

That one (or one just like it) was showcased in Drive's first Koenigsegg factory series, in the episode about paint naturally.

I'll say it again, if I won the lottery and was in the market for a supercar I'd probably go for Koenigsegg.

That looks neat. I dont know if you seen the horrible paint some of the chinese buyers got on their cars but since they will do whatever in terms of colours or embroidery and interior etc some of the chinese customers took advantage of it and wanted all sorts of crazyness. But for the price the car demands they were more than happy to oblige. The purple with gold details and goldplated interior Agera comes to mind.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KozmoNaut posted:

Porsche makes an absurd amount of money on custom options. You can easily push a base Boxster (starting price $50k or so) into six figures by checking the right boxes on their build-a-car form.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

It also has a base price of $845,000 apparently so the people buying it are the people that can drop 60 grand on an optional paint job if they feel like it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

freelop posted:

It's actually a multifunction display you can scroll through using the lower left stalk. You can have GPS, gauges (like oil temp, water temp, boost, etc, TPM and on some cars a lap timer or G meter.

As far as the paint goes the people buying that car will probably all go for one of the expensive colors. It's about a million delivered. A few grand isn't going to make them flinch.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

freelop posted:

It's the fact that it's round. I'm sure it's a square panel with the corners masked off but it doesn't matter, display panels that look shaped to the application, instead of simply made room for, look cool as hell.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bugdrvr posted:

It's about a million delivered.
poo poo man, I can just pick it up then.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Bugdrvr posted:

A few grand isn't going to make them flinch.

A thousand times, this. I don't get how people are so flustered/confused at the thought of millionaires (and billionaires) spending an extra $64k on paint when the car's base price is roughly $900k. The people that buy this car aren't exactly "penny pinching" when it comes to their million dollar super car.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

GramCracker posted:

A thousand times, this. I don't get how people are so flustered/confused at the thought of millionaires (and billionaires) spending an extra $64k on paint when the car's base price is roughly $900k. The people that buy this car aren't exactly "penny pinching" when it comes to their million dollar super car.

What always helps me is looking at ratios.

64,000 paint / 900,000 car is the same as 6,400 paint on a 90,000 car. It's a drop in the bucket in the overall cost. (It's basically the same as paying for the custom paint option on a BMW M5)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

GramCracker posted:

That's a silly assertion. Some people may fall backwards into a million dollar car budget, others do it by consistently recognizing value. (You can argue what the odds of either group are to spend it on a Porsche.)

$64k paint on a $900k car is 7%; that's the equivalent of $2100 on a $30k car. Looking at $30k cars, the 'premium' colors are more in the $500 range occasionally reaching $7-800. So a more proportionate price bump for a 'premium' 918 paint job would be 15-20k, but of course overpriced options are a constant complaint about Porsches.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Viper_3000 posted:

64,000 paint / 900,000 car is the same as 6,400 paint on a 90,000 car. It's a drop in the bucket in the overall cost. (It's basically the same as paying for the custom paint option on a BMW M5)

And it's the same as a $640 Maaco special on a $9,000 car. It's all about perspective. :v:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's a silly assertion. Some people may fall backwards into a million dollar car budget, others do it by consistently recognizing value. (You can argue what the odds of either group are to spend it on a Porsche.)

$64k paint on a $900k car is 7%; that's the equivalent of $2100 on a $30k car. Looking at $30k cars, the 'premium' colors are more in the $500 range occasionally reaching $7-800. So a more proportionate price bump for a 'premium' 918 paint job would be 15-20k, but of course overpriced options are a constant complaint about Porsches.

My point was merely this: You think those guys that actually can order a 918 care that their optional paint is $64k on a $900k car? They do not, they have other poo poo to worry about.

Viper_3000 posted:

Great way to look at it! Basically reinforces my thoughts that I'm sure they don't really care in reality.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

sharkytm posted:

And it's the same as a $640 Maaco special on a $9,000 car. It's all about perspective. :v:

But the 64000 porsche paint is going to last more than 6 months

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
All the new replies are about the cost of paint. Ugh.

Post more pics instead.

Edit: please.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So why was it in the shop? It has to be brand loving new.

Edit: Woops missed its used for training. Carry on.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I'll try to start taking more pics of the interesting stuff that comes in.
I don't get much since I only photograph our cars. Most wouldn't care, but some customers wouldn't be too cool with having pics of their stuff pop up on random website and I don't blame them one bit.
We are getting a 918 soon so I'll try to get a bunch of pics with a decent camera before it's squirreled away into some collection.

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!

Bugdrvr posted:

I got to play with this a few weeks ago and I took some exceedingly lovely phone pics to share. Seriously lovely and for that I'm sorry. My phone sucks and I didn't have a proper camera with me.

This car sounds loving phenomenal. Will report back when I have one to drive.

You know, when I see cross drilled and/or slotted rotors on a riced-up shitbox it just gives me a bit of a chuckle. When I see that stupid non - functional "upgrade" on a true performance machine it just pisses me off.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Some custom paint from House of Kolors or the like can reach over $1,000 a quart, so while $64,000 is a premium, with labor (no way that car isn't painted by hand) it's not out of the realm of possibility.

What a manufacturer specific proprietary designer color costs is beyond me.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Soodonim posted:

You know, when I see cross drilled and/or slotted rotors on a riced-up shitbox it just gives me a bit of a chuckle. When I see that stupid non - functional "upgrade" on a true performance machine it just pisses me off.

Care to explain this more? I mean it seems Porsche has a thing or to learn from your knowledge.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I'm pretty sure the majority of carbon rotors are drilled.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The ones I've seen on GM stuff are solid.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Dr. Klas posted:

Care to explain this more? I mean it seems Porsche has a thing or to learn from your knowledge.

Holes creates weak spots where cracks begin due to thermal expansion. They used to do it because at high temps pads gave off so much gas that you would get fade and they wouldn't work otherwise. It still happens to a small extent but the better solution is to use some sort of a slot. I think you would be hard pressed to find an F1, WRC, or ALMS brake rotor with holes in it.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 6, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The carbon ceramics on the Z/28 Camaro, which are also going to be on the new Z06, certainly appear to be drilled.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yep, I was misremembering them, went back and looked at a 2012 Z06 similar to what we had at the auction, and they are drilled.

My bad!

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Don't the cross drilled holes reduce the surface area of the rotor, making it less effective at stopping the vehicle? I've never understood it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

VikingSkull posted:

Yep, I was misremembering them, went back and looked at a 2012 Z06 similar to what we had at the auction, and they are drilled.

My bad!

Note that just because they are holes, doesn't necessarily mean that they are drilled. The high-end rotors are cast in place and chamfered to relieve stress and minimize cracking. I know that you can look and see on dad's E90 M3 the casting marks on the inside of the holes and I saw a story a while back about the ridiculous casting procedure Porsche goes through with their carbon rotors.

DrPain posted:

Don't the cross drilled holes reduce the surface area of the rotor, making it less effective at stopping the vehicle? I've never understood it either.

I don't think surface area is the primary issue with performance braking, it's more heat dissipation. (There's enough braking energy to lock up the wheels even with smaller rotors on most cars, once or twice... but after 30 minutes, you're talking an entirely different set of parameters.)

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 6, 2014

• Locked thread