Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

VagueRant posted:

I've never seen an episode of GI Joe or owned a toy (don't think it was big here in the UK) but I still thought it was funny. I'm not sure there was any heavy references to the property beyond a few names and just general '90s cartoon parody.

This episode was so ridiculously bogged down with references to the property that it barely qualifies as an episode of Community.
I like the choice of toy-pushing kid's action cartoon for a Jeff-does-Abed's-Christmas episode but the execution was really bad. I've enjoyed most of this season's episodes but everything that wasn't "hey remember how GI Joe was like this??!" seemed like an afterthought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kristofenpheiffer
Sep 12, 2004
The Hemogoblin
I thought it was great. Not as good as Abed's christmas or the video game episode, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely better than Jeff's dream-thing during the gas leak year.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I'm old (born in 73) and just turned 41 myself.

As an old person, I can honestly say this is my favorite episode of Community so far. When I was 12 GI Joe was on when I got home from school everyday and I would watch it while eating string cheese and grapes. I totally understand Jeff's desire to go back and not have back hair anymore, while not wanting to give up my adult life.

Great episode, now I'll go back to my old people stuff, and hug my kids.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Was the epilogue in the hospital supposed to be really bad? Because the jokes felt very 80s Miller Boyett and it even ended with everybody laughing.

It feels like it was deliberate, but it wasn't strong enough if it was.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Haha I definitely watched enough lovely cartoons like Rocket Robinhood and Hercules for this to be a great episode. Re-using the rock hitting animation three times was spot on.

This was also the perfect episode for my dad to be nostalgic about :3:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

LividLiquid posted:

Was the epilogue in the hospital supposed to be really bad? Because the jokes felt very 80s Miller Boyett and it even ended with everybody laughing.

Clearly it was still in Jeff's imagination, except when he was watching Full House instead of GI Joe. He never came out of the coma and is dead.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
As someone who isn't really familiar with G.I. Joe, I felt like I was reacting to jokes in this episode by thinking "I recognize how that is a clever observation regarding this particular genre," rather than actually laughing at anything. After the first few minutes, I was kind of thinking "oh this is just an episode of Robot Chicken," and while it wasn't quite at that level overall, it still was too close to that for me to really enjoy.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Chang's inability to remember his ethnicity and Mix Max's scene in the restaurant aside, this episode was a dud. Thanks for batting 1000, Dino!

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Loved the episode, and it was better on second viewing when I wasn't reacting to seeing the animation gags for the first time and was better able to pay attention to the story. It probably hit home a bit harder than I'm willing for my 36-year-old rear end to admit.

I think the Winger stuff will pay off a bit better in the final eps.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I think this episode required being old to enjoy, because as a 20 year old I just really did not get anything from it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
That was an episode I guess? They hyped the poo poo out of this and I think that was a dumb idea to be honest, the episode would have been better if it just showed up as this.

E: I'm 19 but I liked most of the jokes, the rock gag was great.

RockShowLevel27
May 31, 2006
The bit that got the largest laugh for me was the smash mouth poster, and eating bits of rock with meals.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I also hope Shirley's continuing gags about her screen time will pay off in the near future, too.

John Fütbol
May 18, 2003

FUCKING GOOOOOOOAL IN PHRAGMATICS FYAD CONTEST

xbilkis posted:

I was kind of thinking "oh this is just an episode of Robot Chicken,"

I came here to make a point like that. I was hoping for a general "G.I. Joe" homage, but interacting with actual "G.I. Joe" characters seemed very Robot Chicken-esque, and that's a bad thing. Especially the bit with Cobra Commander being gay for Destro, and when they're talking to Jeff about boobs.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh man, only Venture Bros has done a better GI Joe riff.

"Look, I think I'm over explaining this. The bad guys are snakes and the good guys are army men."

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

This is where having 13 episodes vs. 22 hurts. Because with 22, this would be considered by the people who didn't enjoy it to be just one of those to be tossed aside, but with 13, every episode has to be amazing.

I'm kind of on the fence about it. I enjoyed it, but I didn't get the same enjoyment that I did out of the meowmeowbeans episode, which had even more people split about its merits.

As people have said, even if you didn't like it, there's always next week. I still can't help but admire a show - a network show, if that means anything anymore - that is willing to do episodes like this.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

VagueRant posted:

I've never seen an episode of GI Joe or owned a toy (don't think it was big here in the UK) but I still thought it was funny. I'm not sure there was any heavy references to the property beyond a few names and just general '90s cartoon parody.

Action Man was our version of G I Joe

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I appreciate the experiment but most of the references did nothing for me besides mild chuckles from recognizing some generic 80s kids TV tropes. I'm just glad there were some genuine jokes and a plotline for the "real" community in there or this probably would've only been a decent Robot Chicken / below average Venture Bros episode.

It was alright overall, but it would've been better if they didn't hype it so much and if we hadn't just gone two weeks without a new episode.

I'm glad some people got a laugh out of it, though. The elderly need to treasure the time they have left on this earth.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

I don't particularly like GI Joe but that was a pretty fun episode, even if the whole Jeff is hallucinating due to booze and unknown drugs thing was pretty forced and bad.

Pretty much agree with this. I know nothing of GI Joe but it was a decent episode, if one of the weaker this season imo, largely because they suddenly forced this moment from Jeff that's way darker than anything we've seen previously just to do this homage. I dunno, it's not completely out of nowhere, but it still felt weird to me.

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah it felt more like an old channel 101 sitcom parody or whatever than the characters actually being themselves. The cartoon part was more in character.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
This was unreal good. If it was a real show I'd watch every episode. God I miss my childhood.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Community: CAB - Cartoons And Booze

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

silly posted:

No mention yet of the TIE Fighter sounds for the Submachopter? For shame.

You know nothing, precious child.

The actual GI Joe cartoons used countless sound effects lifted straight out of Star Wars. Sounds of lightsabers, blasters, X-Wings, and TIE Fighters can probably be heard multiple times in almost every episode of GI Joe. Occasionally a brief clip of Star Wars music could even be heard in the background, as if the guys doing the sound editing for GI Joe had literally just recorded bits and pieces off a VHS copy of Star Wars.

Even at the time as a kid, we recognized the Star Wars sound effects and thought GI Joe was even cooler because of it. And I'm sure that at least once, my friends and I integrated our GI Joe and Star Wars figures and vehicles into glorious battle royales.

I'm an old goon who is about to turn 38, so this episode hit me right in the nostalgia gut. Like most kids my age, Star Wars was the defining bit of pop culture of my early childhood. Then GI Joe came along a couple of years after Return Of The Jedi, filled the void, and became the next big thing that my friends and I were all into for a few years.

Good times. :unsmith:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Annie's Boobs Cartoon.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Alcohol Breeds Cartoons?

Animated Booze Coma?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Quandary posted:

I think this episode required being old to enjoy, because as a 20 year old I just really did not get anything from it.

That episode was amazing... and 30 isn't old, rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

BreakAtmo posted:

Alcohol Breeds Cartoons?

Animated Booze Coma?

Stating the obvious:

A Bad Cartoon

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm way younger than 30 and I loved this.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
How about:

GIJoe: Greendale is Jeff's Old Enemy

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm 24 and this will probably be in my top 10 episodes of the show.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Yeah, I'm 25, and my only exposure to GI Joe is through the Fensler Films and The Venture Bros.... and I really enjoyed this episode. The rock gag alone made that episode great.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I tried to check into this thread because I just KNEW it was going to be divided into "Liked it, hated it, meh" responses..and I wasn't disappointed. As a 27 year old who barely slid into the "saw and enjoyed GI Joe" category (I even still have one of those custom books where they put you into the story), I thought the episode was enjoyable. But it wasn't an episode of Community.

It was very much a longer episode of Robot Chicken/Family Guy ..but with Community - inspired characters.

Like I said, I enjoyed it, but it never felt like Community. And while the "I got drunk because I'm 40" thing fits with Jeff's pathos, it seemed to be out of nowhere. To be fair, if this was a real life scenario, someone lying about their age and getting themselves hospitalized through pity-partying WOULD seem to come out of nowhere, I guess.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
ALso, to people who are curious about GI Joe, check out the Larry Hama comics from the 80s. They hold up and are still pretty good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just came back to say that the fake commercials, and the way they got creepier and creepier, was easily the highlight of the episode imo.

edit: I guess I have to agree that it didn't really feel like a Community episode at all

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 4, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently the titles of the final two episodes this season are "Basic Story" and "Basic Sandwich."

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Abed Breaks Cartoons

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I only really liked the jokes about cheap animation, but I loved the jokes about cheap animation. I want a photoshop series starring the Community cast hitting things with rocks.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Well, that sure was the Dean's glistening penis gun.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Last night's episode hit a series low rating of 0.9 (2.58M viewers). drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

TealShark posted:

Last night's episode hit a series low rating of 0.9 (2.58M viewers). drat.

At this point, NBC has nothing to replace Community with; it just depends on when they realize that they are not taking back 8PM on Thursday until TBBT ends its run.

• Locked thread