Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Success! Mushi-shi status: completed.

This show really was excellent on every level and in every way.

The one downside is that the OVA didn't look as gorgeous as the original series, alot more still frames, off models. Same good writing and subtle emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJgBqFVoNI

Mushi-Shi Season 2 OP

Soundtrack is still great, and the animation quality is still good.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 4, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zorak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNJgBqFVoNI

Mushi-Shi Season 2 OP

Soundtrack is still great, and the animation quality is still good.

That's a pretty nice little song. I like that they found something with the same kind of feel as The Sore Feet Song.

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009
Can't wait for an Under the Snow episode :getin:

I'm so glad Mushishi is coming back.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Season 2, Episode 1 is available

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was chill even by Mushi-Shi standards. Still pretty great, and the OP was perfect.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It's all there, the music, the atmosphere, the art, everything. If they've done so well on the first episode, I can't imagine that they will do much worse with the rest of the season.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I am so excited for this. Mushishi was one of my absolute favorite 00's animes and I couldn't be happier that they're actually making more of it after an 8-year hiatus.

ViggyNash posted:

It's all there, the music, the atmosphere, the art, everything. If they've done so well on the first episode, I can't imagine that they will do much worse with the rest of the season.

Have you seen the OVA episode that came out a few months ago? It's basically a two-parter in one, and totally blew away any worries I had about the series restart.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

It's like it never really stopped, it was just pulled out of time and has now re-entered. :allears:

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
The first episode of this season was great. It's still the most chill thing I have ever watched, and the art is still amazing. I can't wait for the next episodes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Second season is just like the first season, perfect. :toot:

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

This episode made me want to go brew something. Really nice fakeout with him drinking the sake considering what happened in the first episode of the first season.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Sindai posted:

Second season is just like the first season, perfect. :toot:

A lot of people say it's very slow, but something about it seems strangely tense to me. It's like distilled fear/lack of knowledge of the unknown. It's never scary, just tense. It's part of the charm to me.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
What are the odds of this getting a dub eventually? I got attached to the English voice cast and don't really want to switch over unless there isn't going to be another choice.

e: VVV That's a shame. I guess I'll just suck it up.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 5, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

mikeycp posted:

What are the odds of this getting a dub eventually? I got attached to the English voice cast and don't really want to switch over unless there isn't going to be another choice.

Given that Funimation had licensed the previous series and doesn't seem to be associating with this one at all: extremely low.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
That is some restful anime right there. I'm a little sad that he didn't continue making his special brew for his exclusive clientele, but perhaps it's for the best.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zorak posted:

Given that Funimation had licensed the previous series and doesn't seem to be associating with this one at all: extremely low.

Supposedly Aniplex of America has it licensed, though I don't know if that's just streaming or what. They seem to have gotten kind of slow about releasing dubs lately too, and for something like Mushi-Shi I could see it taking a couple years if ever.

My one regret in life is that I don't have the thousands of dollars it would take to license Mushi-Shi myself, and then throw it at Funimation until they dub it for me.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Supposedly Aniplex of America has it licensed, though I don't know if that's just streaming or what. They seem to have gotten kind of slow about releasing dubs lately too, and for something like Mushi-Shi I could see it taking a couple years if ever.

My one regret in life is that I don't have the thousands of dollars it would take to license Mushi-Shi myself, and then throw it at Funimation until they dub it for me.

The thing is, most licensing companies only use dubbing studios that are local to them. Funimation is Texas based. I don't know where the hell Aniplex USA is located, but I'm guessing it's not Texas.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zorak posted:

The thing is, most licensing companies only use dubbing studios that are local to them. Funimation is Texas based. I don't know where the hell Aniplex USA is located, but I'm guessing it's not Texas.

I think they're California based, if I remember right. LA-ish. They definitely have a totally different crop of actors, for sure. That said it isn't impossible for them to, say, hire the handful of actual recurring characters from Funi's Season One dub to reprise their roles in Season Two. Hell, they could just keep Ginko the same and probably get by.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Ginko is the only voice that really matters to me.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

mikeycp posted:

Ginko is the only voice that really matters to me.

Ginko's voice is practically the only one you hear for more than one episode.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

It's honestly been so long since I last watched it that I don't remember any other recurring characters/voices.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Squidster posted:

That is some restful anime right there. I'm a little sad that he didn't continue making his special brew for his exclusive clientele, but perhaps it's for the best.

It was through sheer luck that he managed to obtain the Mushi capable of making the imitation Kouki. He probably couldn't make more even if he wanted to.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

mikeycp posted:

It's honestly been so long since I last watched it that I don't remember any other recurring characters/voices.
Pretty much the only other recurring character is the doctor who buys mushi artifacts off Ginko.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

Pretty much the only other recurring character is the doctor who buys mushi artifacts off Ginko.

I bet the writing/archivar lady will appear several times.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It was through sheer luck that he managed to obtain the Mushi capable of making the imitation Kouki. He probably couldn't make more even if he wanted to.

He actually could, since he was cultivating it like yeast.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh, Izasa's back, another recurring character! Last episode of S1 was great, it's nice to know that Ginko always had that guy and his friend as an acquaintance.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
That was really pleasant. :unsmith:

I forgot how different Mushishi was from other anime. I watched the Special today as well and as soon as it started I had to take a second to readjust my tone glasses. Even more specifically, Mushishi is paced and framed like an actual drama, unlike most anime.

This will be a really nice weekly relaxation, specifically paired with Ping Pong.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
:( I love Ginko's english voice too much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nice story to lead off on, since they more or less build up to Ginko's introduction rather than insert him in there as if it just another episode in the first season. Good to be back, folks.

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Currently watching season 1 on youtube to catch up before watching the new season.

Seen up to episode 10 and it's fantastic! Glad that there's a season 2 or I probably never would have gotten around to watching this.

Now I'll avoid this thread like the plague until I've caught up.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

oilatsnep posted:

Currently watching season 1 on youtube to catch up before watching the new season.

Seen up to episode 10 and it's fantastic! Glad that there's a season 2 or I probably never would have gotten around to watching this.

Now I'll avoid this thread like the plague until I've caught up.

Mushi-shi spoilers don't mean to much since there is zero overarching plot in the show, but I assume you just don't want to be spoiled on the plots of future episodes. Be sure to check out the OVA too.

e: Hey I was trying to save him from discovering that mushi actually don't exist and Ginko went insane and imagined it all after his eye was stabbed a little too early.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 11, 2014

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

Mushi-shi spoilers don't mean to much since there is zero overarching plot in the show, but I assume you just don't want to be spoiled on the plots of future episodes. Be sure to check out the OVA too.

MANGA SPOILERS Ginko is actually a mushi

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Manga spoilers!!! Mushi are nanomachines.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Novel spoiler everyone's a mushi and a giant intelligent mushi travels around transforming humans back into mushi.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Episode 2! One of the best ever. It plays out like a classic fable (and maybe it's based on one?) and does a really fantastic job of putting a family drama in the context of a greater village, and adding enough specific supernatural detail to feel fresh and in tune with the series.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Got a pretty nice kick out of this episode since I've been taking an ocean biology class recently. Red tides are caused by microscopic dinoflagellates which some species produce a neurotoxin. Since shellfish filter through thousands of them daily, the concentration of the neurotoxin can get to lethal levels if humans then consume the shellfish. The fish in the farms pose a similar problem. Since the neurotoxin isn't a protein, it's extremely heat resistant so they wouldn't have been able to just cook it out which basically meant their entire harvest for that season went down the drain.
Though that last shot was all kinds of beautiful, flying snail bird things :3:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I liked the role the mushi had in this episode. That's what makes the show great.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I liked the role the mushi had in this episode. That's what makes the show great.

Yeah, they're not malevolent or benevolent... just trying to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

gobbledygoat posted:

Yeah, they're not malevolent or benevolent... just trying to live.
Not being malevolent doesn't make them not dangerous, though.

• Locked thread