Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Shenlong is the only Wing lead suit to not show up in Build Fighters.

Nobody likes Wufei.
Hell, Frozen Teardrop just has Wufei as a grumpy old man with no identical descendant/stand-in, and that's written by Wing's original writer. I think either Noin's son or Zechs' daughter is the Wufei stand-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013

Hivac posted:

Obviously the best place to start is A Portable :shepface:

Good gods. I just started A Portable. I'm on Stage 8 with Axel and the Lanz Angriff. I already hate my life.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Emuticus posted:

Good gods. I just started A Portable. I'm on Stage 8 with Axel and the Lanz Angriff. I already hate my life.
Well, that's because you picked the most difficult robot to start with. Both of the Supers and the Ashsaber are MUCH better starting points.

But then, A Portable is sadistic, regardless of your starter choice.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I probably wouldn't be able to use Soulgain just from being spoiled by OGS2 so much.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
At least he didn't pick Lamia in the Angelg.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So besides the SRW 1 HD remake you also get a DLC scenario with the first print now.

http://srw-z3-jigoku.suparobo.jp/system/system09.php#targetSuzune

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013

Davzz posted:

At least he didn't pick Lamia in the Angelg.

I had a friend choose for me, without any prior knowledge on his part. I was lucky to get Axel, but kinda screwed when he chose the Lanz Angriff. Oh well, I'll live. I'm on Stage 10 Earth Route now. It's pretty fun, in a "kill me" kind of way.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That made me go back and check the SRW1 DLC thing.

「第3次スーパーロボット大戦Z 時獄篇」ダウンロード版(PS3/PS Vita)にも、 期間限定として、HDリメイク版「スーパーロボット大戦」の特典が付きます。

対象期間4月10日 (木) ~4月23日 (水)

As long as you buy the downloadable version of the game before Wednesday, April 23, you get SRW1 (and the DLC stage) for free.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
"As Hibiki works to master the Genion's new power, Suzune has a fit of irrational hysteria towards him and takes the Genion out herself."

For gently caress's sake, Z3, you're not helping me have any hope about Suzune whatsoever.

(I know it's actually going to be something that's supposed to make sense in the context of the Gemini's feedback, but that doesn't make it sound or feel any better, especially when they actually use the word "hysteria.")

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
At least they can't possibly handle her worse than Esther, right?

Right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

"As Hibiki works to master the Genion's new power, Suzune has a fit of irrational hysteria towards him and takes the Genion out herself."

For gently caress's sake, Z3, you're not helping me have any hope about Suzune whatsoever.

(I know it's actually going to be something that's supposed to make sense in the context of the Gemini's feedback, but that doesn't make it sound or feel any better, especially when they actually use the word "hysteria.")
It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was still common belief in Japan that hysteria only affected women.

But just to check, what's the pre-translation source for that?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it was still common belief in Japan that hysteria only affected women.

But just to check, what's the pre-translation source for that?

Oh, sorry. It's at the bottom of the new page detailing DLC chapters.

ジェニオンの新たな力を使いこなそうとするヒビキに対して、スズネは理不尽なヒステリーをぶつけ、自らジェニオンに乗り込む。

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

Oh, sorry. It's at the bottom of the new page detailing DLC chapters.

ジェニオンの新たな力を使いこなそうとするヒビキに対して、スズネは理不尽なヒステリーをぶつけ、自らジェニオンに乗り込む。
Yep, definitely using the same word, and checking the j/j dictionary it says "usually said to affect women but can be seen in men as well".

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm being extremely optimistic with the idea that the actual chapter is clearly Sphere Bullshit and the blurb has just summarized it for some reason in the most unfortunate-sounding way possible.

e: or maybe that it's an actual dumb reaction she has but it somehow comes out of their actual relationship and characters at that stage?

Saying "irrational hysteria" is still the stupidest way of putting it, what the hell.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 4, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can not roll my eyes enough. I don't have a lot of confidence in these originals.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I can not roll my eyes enough. I don't have a lot of confidence in these originals.
Yeah, they are the only part of the game I have no interest in at all. And I loved Esther, she was my favorite original in a long time. But then they had to go all, well, I wanna say Frank Miller, but there's probably a better example somewhere, on her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, they are the only part of the game I have no interest in at all. And I loved Esther, she was my favorite original in a long time. But then they had to go all, well, I wanna say Frank Miller, but there's probably a better example somewhere, on her.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Esther was fun right up until the point they went Fridgey with her. I kind of hope she gets to show up in Z3 and do something awesome.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Esther was fun right up until the point they went Fridgey with her. I kind of hope she gets to show up in Z3 and do something awesome.
Oh god I hope so. Please Esther, save us from boring and inept original characters! Charge straight into both work and love! (or however it's commonly translated)

I don't care whether Crowe shows up again or not.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I could use a break from Crowe personally, he didn't really do anything for me and I never really liked his mech that much either. I could DEFINITELY use a break from Asakim as well, he's dead right?

I'll always save a spot for Setsuko's mech though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Where's Rand goddamn it? The rest can go soak, just gimme back Rand.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They really need to improve their batting average for original characters recently, especially if they aren't going to give us a choice any more.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I liked both Crowe and Esther as a combination (with the usual misgivings). The trouble with Rand is that I'm pretty sure most of the relationships he already had are now gone. More of Crowe's/Esther's and Setsuko's buddies are still around.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Caphi posted:

I liked both Crowe and Esther as a combination (with the usual misgivings). The trouble with Rand is that I'm pretty sure most of the relationships he already had are now gone. More of Crowe's/Esther's and Setsuko's buddies are still around.

I still say Setsuko's buddies should have stayed dead. Bringing them back at the end of Z1 just completely killed Setsuko's entire development arc and sent her back to square one in terms of how she started out as a character.

It's even more sad sad when considering that this is the only remotely strong and engaging female lead Banpresto has produced on a console SRW.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't agree on that. Setsuko becoming the leader of the squad was the most natural place for her character development to go. You can make an argument it shouldn't have been the same guys again but her characterization isn't reset at all. She is not the same character at the end of Z1 that she was at the start.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Hokuto posted:

I still say Setsuko's buddies should have stayed dead. Bringing them back at the end of Z1 just completely killed Setsuko's entire development arc and sent her back to square one in terms of how she started out as a character.

It's even more sad sad when considering that this is the only remotely strong and engaging female lead Banpresto has produced on a console SRW.

I can't even handle that one cockpit cut in in Dark Prison. You know the one.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Hokuto posted:

[timg]

Doesn't Kusuha count? (OGs interpretation of her character aside.)

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

I don't agree on that. Setsuko becoming the leader of the squad was the most natural place for her character development to go. You can make an argument it shouldn't have been the same guys again but her characterization isn't reset at all. She is not the same character at the end of Z1 that she was at the start.
The impression I got from her story was that the main focus of her character arc was on her grief and how it trapped her, both figuratively and literally.

Instead of getting over her grief, moving on, and becoming a wiser person for it, the universe threw her a bone and gave her her friends back. She didn't grow so much as her problems just magically went away in the end.

Pureauthor posted:

Doesn't Kusuha count? (OGs interpretation of her character aside.)
Admittedly Kusuha is the one route in Alpha 3 I never finished. Feel free to correct me if she's better than I thought.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

The impression I got from her story was that the main focus of her character arc was on her grief and how it trapped her, both figuratively and literally.

Instead of getting over her grief, moving on, and becoming a wiser person for it, the universe threw her a bone and gave her her friends back. She didn't grow so much as her problems just magically went away in the end.

The thing is that Setsuko didn't get over her grief because her friends showed up. She did that through her own development and then got a happy ending afterwards. Considering Setsuko spends the entire game being poo poo on horribly, her getting a positive ending is generally reasonable catharsis. If it had just been "oh no, they alive, Setsuko was sad for no reason," that would have sucked but Setsuko had to deal with her issues and work through them and her role in the reformed Glory Star is very different from the timid rookie she was at the start.

It's unarguably a cheerful and positive ending instead of a melancholy one but that's kind of SRW's stock in trade. The last two Z games have specifically had route splits to give people happier endings than they got in canon. (And Setsuko certainly can get her Unhappy Ending if you want to go that route.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 4, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I consider Setsuko's Bad Ending to be my canon. :v:

And conversely, I have zero problem with the games breaking series canon to go "Nope this is SRW, there are enough collective resources in the multiverse to save Aki/Four/etc."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
To be clear, I mean the licensed buddies. Crowe still has Celestial Being, Aoyama, Duo, and Karen.

Anyway here's how the Suzune thing is probably going down.

Hibiki and Suzune are having legitimate tension. Maybe it's about someone's methods, or what they want to do with the Genion. Very likely it's because the new Sphere villain and/or Asakim has shown up (take note: the Genion has shown a hint of special power and Hibiki is trying to handle it) and they're under a lot of stress as a result. When Hibiki does the wrong thing with the Gemini, it affects Suzune's mind (as Spheres do) and exacerbates their issues, leading to a sequence where Hibiki goes after her and has to try and resolve his end of the problem to bring her back, which causes them to be in sync again and access the Gemini's next level of power and unlock a new attack with a dual cut-in.

This is framed in the ad/preview/blurb as "SUZUNE HAS GONE MAD AND HATES HIBIKI, HOW COULD THIS BE, WHAT WILL HIBIKI DO" per the Superdickery principle, and is phrased and delivered in the worst bad-anime way possible. I make no denial of or excuses for that. It's incredibly disappointing. It's not like my scenario is a great dynamic either, but the blurb makes it sound somehow even worse. (I still can't believe they actually used the word "hysteria.")

One ray of hope: there's a chance that Suzune's brief stint in the Genion is also setting her up to eventually get her own half of the Geminion. After all, Esther taking the Brasta out in Z2.1 led directly to her getting the Es (though I certainly hope the second Geminion isn't Brasta Es-tier). At the time, I was thinking of Eiji getting to briefly pilot Sol Σ Gravion in Gravion Zwei because he had briefly stolen the Gran Kaiser early in the series.

I'm trying really hard to hope this won't be awful, you guys. Help me out here.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I hope you guys like inane posts.

They put some of the best series from portable games into Z3? Plus Gundam UC? I might have to come back from a several-year hiatus and get this iteration. I had stopped after being overwhelmed by Original Character Rehash Gaiden 2-kai or whatever.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I hope you guys like inane posts.

They put some of the best series from portable games into Z3? Plus Gundam UC? I might have to come back from a several-year hiatus and get this iteration. I had stopped after being overwhelmed by Original Character Rehash Gaiden 2-kai or whatever.

Original Generations 2 came out just last year, and it is literally the best SRW game I've ever played to date. It has amazing graphics/animations, incredible music, and even somehow manages to have an engaging and entertaining plot against all possible odds. I would strongly suggest not letting OG Gaiden spoil this for you because you are seriously missing out if you skip it.

But hey, welcome to the thread! Get hype for Z3 next week.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hokuto posted:

Original Generations 2 came out just last year, and it is literally the best SRW game I've ever played to date. It has amazing graphics/animations, incredible music, and even somehow manages to have an engaging and entertaining plot against all possible odds. I would strongly suggest not letting OG Gaiden spoil this for you because you are seriously missing out if you skip it.

Agreed with this. Especially after the delays and them being weirdly quiet about it, I was assuming it would be hot garbage.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Hokuto posted:

KoB posted:

Agreed with this. Especially after the delays and them being weirdly quiet about it, I was assuming it would be hot garbage.

...Oh. I suppose I didn't really know what to expect, because Original Generations was basically a PS2 adaptation of the good ol' GBA games, and after that I couldn't really get invested in what was to follow. At that point the same battle system for two games straight was beginning to wear thin for me too, so either way I'd really like to be surprised by something more refreshing like Kusuha's beverages.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Levantine posted:

Where's Rand goddamn it? The rest can go soak, just gimme back Rand.

I don't expect the previous originals to appear until Z3 Part 2.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

I don't expect the previous originals to appear until Z3 Part 2.

Nah, that's when the @ originals start showing up. :v:

In all honesty though that's probably going to be what's expected which kinda sucks because that means the new original getting any form of attention whatsoever.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Hivac posted:

Nah, that's when the @ originals start showing up. :v:

In all honesty though that's probably going to be what's expected which kinda sucks because that means the new original getting any form of attention whatsoever.

I'll be giving him plenty of attention because I'm really bored of Brasta and Crowe's themes aren't half as endearing to me as the other Z originals.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

TARDISman posted:

I'll be giving him plenty of attention because I'm really bored of Brasta and Crowe's themes aren't half as endearing to me as the other Z originals.

I didn't really like Crowe that much either. Originals just seem to be getting more and more "Yep that's an original allright, where's my interesting units" with each installment.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Yokota Mamoru is at MEFCC 2014, and someone there requested a sketch of Grendizer from him:

https://twitter.com/yokotamamoru/status/452095001917280256/photo/1

I vaguely remember that Grendizer and Tranzor/Mazinger were aired in different areas globally, was the middle east one of those places where Grendizer is king?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

TARDISman posted:

Please, Unbreakable owned and Setsuko's themes were poo poo. Gave her Sure Promise and never looked back.

• Locked thread