Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

GFBeach posted:

So MY GIRLFRIEND is on a quest to find the best cupcake in Atlanta. We've tried Sprinkles at Lenox Mall and were pretty impressed, and we've also heard of the Cupcake Factory and CamiCakes though we haven't been able to go to either just yet. Any recommendations?

Despite the insufferable name, I've heard Gluten-free Cutie in Roswell has some pretty amazing cupcakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GFBeach posted:

So MY GIRLFRIEND is on a quest to find the best cupcake in Atlanta. We've tried Sprinkles at Lenox Mall and were pretty impressed, and we've also heard of the Cupcake Factory and CamiCakes though we haven't been able to go to either just yet. Any recommendations?

I live across the street from camicakes. it's ok I guess? I don't think I've ever had a cupcake that tasted particularly amazing though, so I might not be the best judge.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
Ate brunch at the One-Eared Stag this weekend. Got the Chef's Breakfast and enjoyed everything, but especially the scrambled eggs with salmon roe. Will definitely be going back in the future. Also had dinner at Bocado and everything we tried was great, but what stood out to me was the cocktails. I live within walking distance so I'm ashamed I haven't been drinking there more often.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
we went to bocca lupo over the weekend. was solid and good. kind of strange to be eating a semi-fancy meal in 11:11 teahouse / a nophest venue. they've used the space nicely, and I guess it was another restaurant before being bocca lupo, so I'm just living in ancient historyville.

edit : also, for the record, gently caress 11:11 teahouse. that girl loving sucks.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 17, 2014

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Before Bocca Lupo, that place housed Ria Pell's Sauced.

I really like Bocca Lupo's food (especially the strano pasta dish that they often have on the menu). The atmosphere not so much. I enjoyed it more when they had a guy, Bruce, behind the bar. I was really in the mood for pasta on Saturday night and was considering Bocca Lupo, but wanted to go somewhere I felt more comfortable, so I went to Wisteria to get their ricotta gnocchi with veal and beef meatballs (also got comped the calamari appetizer!).

deep13
Jan 2, 2013

AgentHaiTo posted:

Who has the best fries in Atlanta? My pregnant wife has sudden craving, and that was her exact request...

I'd have to say The General Muir - their fries are consistently great.

I thought the fries at King+Duke were pretty solid, too (although everything else we ordered there was well below average).

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I did my seemingly annual visit to Yeah Burger to see if I still don't care for it, and I still don't.

If they altered the ratios of the types of beef that go into their ground beef, I think it'd be salvageable for me. Their current mixture just isn't that good. And it would be nice if they cooked the patties a bit better like developing a crispy char and crunch.

The place is also pricey. I think my meal of a Yeah Burger, a comped side of fries, and a bottle of soda was $15 and change. If I had paid for the fries, it would be have been over $18. So a $18 burger/fries/drink and I'd rather have gone to Five Guys.

Why couldn't Grindhouse have opened a location near me instead of Yeah Burger? :sigh:

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Yeah Burger is aggressively mediocre.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

venutolo posted:

I did my seemingly annual visit to Yeah Burger to see if I still don't care for it, and I still don't.

If they altered the ratios of the types of beef that go into their ground beef, I think it'd be salvageable for me. Their current mixture just isn't that good. And it would be nice if they cooked the patties a bit better like developing a crispy char and crunch.

The place is also pricey. I think my meal of a Yeah Burger, a comped side of fries, and a bottle of soda was $15 and change. If I had paid for the fries, it would be have been over $18. So a $18 burger/fries/drink and I'd rather have gone to Five Guys.

Why couldn't Grindhouse have opened a location near me instead of Yeah Burger? :sigh:

You're on the west side of town, right? If the Flip location on howel mill still open? I know they turned the HD2 location on n highland into one.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

antisodachrist posted:

You're on the west side of town, right? If the Flip location on howel mill still open? I know they turned the HD2 location on n highland into one.

Yes and yes.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I agree with you on every point. their burgers are kind of bland and have no crispy char. I don't know if they aren't salting the patties enough or what... but they are horribly priced to boot. I don't even agree to go there anymore when folks bring it up, I'm just so over it.

grindhouse on the other hand, lookin good feelin great. granted, I usually order a pretty straightforward american style bacon junior burger with jalapenos when I go, no fancy toppings or anything. but it's really done right, and it makes me happy to see simple things done well. and their avocado salad too, mmmmmmm mmm.

alright I guess I know where I'm going to dinner tomorrow

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I like Yeah Burger's beef burger, but I'm in the same boat in that I'd almost always choose 5 Guys for that genre of burger because YB's value just isn't there. Their bison patty is awful, though, and it's really hard to gently caress up a bison burger. They have a decent cobb salad, which is something most every place manages to do terribly despite how easy it is. Still pricey.

I haven't been to Flip since its first year because of novelty over quality. Has it improved?

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Just to add to the Yeah Burger reviews, last week I asked about fries, and we ended up going to Yeah Burger just because it's so close. We should have gone to Five Guys. The fries were soggy and greasy and cold. My burger was pretty good I thought, but since my wife literally just got a side of fries for herself, she wasn't very happy. My 4 year old got the kid's meal grilled cheese and he thought it was just ok. He said the ones we make at home are better.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Are most people going to Westside or Virginia Highlands Yeah Burger? I've got to the Westside one in the past a couple times, and although it was overpriced, I've never had a bad experience.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I've never been to either one. Based on the reviews, I am kind of glad I didn't. I really want to try the burger at One Eared Stag, but every time I make brunch plans on Sunday they fall through.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

I go to the Westside one, and while it's never been BAD it's certainly never impressed me. It's just kinda blah.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I've only been to the Westside one.

antisodachrist posted:

I really want to try the burger at One Eared Stag, but every time I make brunch plans on Sunday they fall through.

I love One Eared Stag, but have had mixed experiences with the burger. The first time I thought the bun was a bit too thick and another time I thought the burger might have been under-cooked. Nevertheless, I still think it is a very good burger (the burgers from Grindhouse, Bocado, General Muir, and Folk Art being my favorites and One Eared Stag's burger being the next level down). I don't care for their fries though.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Are most people going to Westside or Virginia Highlands Yeah Burger? I've got to the Westside one in the past a couple times, and although it was overpriced, I've never had a bad experience.

Westside, and the only really bad thing was the fries. I do love the Brussel Sprouts though, and can eat the whole bowl as a meal.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

AgentHaiTo posted:

Westside, and the only really bad thing was the fries. I do love the Brussel Sprouts though, and can eat the whole bowl as a meal.

They just deep fry the brussel sprouts, pretty easy to make, just add goat cheese. The main thing that annoys me, is the giant line of people at Yeah! burger. I've gone many times, and just continue driving after seeing that dismal slow line... Surprisingly, the Westside location of 5 Seasons Brewing is pretty drat good (sandy springs one is meh). The bottle aged brews are well worth the $20 price point. This is the next place I go instead of Yeah burger.

Went to Fritti last week. It was pretty good, but the pizzas weren't up to par with Antico (or my new fave, Campania).

I want to find some more divey-food places that are awesome for the money. Like Desta, or whatever.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The best divey food place is Nick's Food to Go. My favorite gyro in town.

And, of course, BuHi banh mi is generally divey and cheap.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Landrobot posted:

I want to find some more divey-food places that are awesome for the money. Like Desta, or whatever.

I'm on this kick as well. I've realized Katie and I's food/grocery spending is completely ridiculous, and we're trying to be a little better.

las tortas locas was a recent buford highway find. I think it's pretty well known, but I'd never been. good value, great food. you'll stuff yourself for $10-12.

on the topic of cheap and gyros - venutolo, have you tried the olive bistro across from city hall east? I stumbled in here for a work lunch once, and their plain straight up gyro was great. haven't been in a while though, quality could have changed. cafe agora in buckhead is great too, but their location closed a couple months ago. guy is opening up a new one right down the street, but i'm not sure about its status.

I think I've mentioned it before, but panahar is a stellar value as far as indian (bangladeshi) food goes. it's byob, so bring a bottle of wine (or two). we usually gorge ourselves and spend $35.

anyways, keep the suggestions coming, I wanna find some more places to add to my weekday rotation!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

las tortas locas was a recent buford highway find. I think it's pretty well known, but I'd never been. good value, great food. you'll stuff yourself for $10-12.

on the topic of cheap and gyros - venutolo, have you tried the olive bistro across from city hall east? I stumbled in here for a work lunch once, and their plain straight up gyro was great. haven't been in a while though, quality could have changed. cafe agora in buckhead is great too, but their location closed a couple months ago. guy is opening up a new one right down the street, but i'm not sure about its status.

I dig Las Tortas Locas. There's a location near-ish where I work that I hit up for lunch every so often. The location is smaller and grungier than the location near BuHi, but it gets the job done.

I have been to that Olive Bistro a few times, but not recently. Their gyro is solid. Cafe Agora has a Midtown location now.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Mediterranean Cafe at North Decatur is good for gyros, but I like it because it's close to my place.

There is a Chinese Indian place on Church St called Chinese Dhaba that blends Indian spices and Chinese food. They have two other locations in gwinnett too. Prices are good and I have not had anything I did not like.

kontona
May 3, 2003

antisodachrist posted:

There is a Chinese Indian place on Church St called Chinese Dhaba that blends Indian spices and Chinese food. They have two other locations in gwinnett too. Prices are good and I have not had anything I did not like.

this sounds interesting. gonna have to check it out.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

antisodachrist posted:

They have a location near-ish my office. Please tell me one dish to order.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I usually order the spiciest thing I can find because I don't value my intestinal tract.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
I walked into chinese dhaba once but didn't buy anything. I'll try it sometime I'm over there!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Okay, so I got my wife and I dinner reservations for the Sun Dial this weekend. I've heard good things about the place and I'm fully aware that I'm going to be paying for the view and the food. I've also read some pretty nasty Yelp reviews, but that's Yelp.

Has anyone been here since the remodel? I've never been here before. Just want to know what I'm in for.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

antisodachrist posted:

This place looks like a great lunch place. $5.99 daily combo. I'll be bringing my co-workers here for our weekly lunch eating out to try it out. The website made me hungry with the pictures, and they even have Chicken 65(I never knew that dish was an actual name of a dish, I thought it was just the one Indian restaurant I go to liked that number).

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I am waiting for a takeout order there now. Going for the manchurian chicken and some of their spring rolls. Simple night in for me.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Last weekend at Wisteria, the chef fell waist deep into the grease trap. Ponder that horror for a minute.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

antisodachrist posted:

Mediterranean Cafe at North Decatur is good for gyros, but I like it because it's close to my place.

Been there a few times, was pretty good.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Jim Stacy from Palookaville has a show on the cooking channel starting tonight. Offbeat Eats is the title. I guess it will be like Diners, drive ins, and dives but with a more tolerable host.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Last weekend at Wisteria, the chef fell waist deep into the grease trap. Ponder that horror for a minute.

oh god

for about 10 seconds I thought you meant the fryer, and I was trying to figure out how exactly that would happen. but grease trap? that's almost worse. 0_0

was he ok? how does something like that even happen?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

was he ok? how does something like that even happen?

I have no idea how it happened. I was told that another guy in the kitchen wrapped him up in garbage bags and took him home to hose off. I imagine it would take many showers and much scrubbing to feel clean again after that.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I have no idea how it happened. I was told that another guy in the kitchen wrapped him up in garbage bags and took him home to hose off. I imagine it would take many showers and much scrubbing to feel clean again after that.

lol christ, yeah I was wondering how he would have hosed off / changed clothes or whatever at the restaurant

I accidentally stuck my hand in a (cool) fryer elbow deep in grease once while cleaning it, it was loving disgusting. I can't imagine if it was all soaked in your pants and smelled like rotting fish and aaahgggggggggggggggggggggghhhh :( :(

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
That Villains place from Offbeat Eats last night looks pretty nifty/never heard of it---hold the Kewpie on the Godzilla and probably investigate a Mumm-Ra at the least and a fine meal looks like it'd be had.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
We went to Alfredo's tonight on Cheshire Bridge rd. This was our first time, and oh boy, did it deliver! It's not foodie-food, but who cares, they have a giant greek Acropolis style fish aquarium, old dudes serving all the tables, and the highest butter fat content meal I've had this decade. Highly recommended for a change of pace!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Landrobot posted:

We went to Alfredo's tonight on Cheshire Bridge rd. This was our first time, and oh boy, did it deliver! It's not foodie-food, but who cares, they have a giant greek Acropolis style fish aquarium, old dudes serving all the tables, and the highest butter fat content meal I've had this decade. Highly recommended for a change of pace!

I've had Alfredo's once and was extremely underwhelmed by pretty much everything I tried. It tasted like the Cracker Barrel of Italian food in Atlanta.

Why can't I stop thinking about Bocca Lupo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Webbeh posted:

Why can't I stop thinking about Bocca Lupo
Because it is awesome?