Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
e: found the one DDraig wrote, put this poo poo in the OP jesus

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847454/Turretsbegone.7z

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Is there some trick to getting CoP running in DX10 or 11 mode? I've got a GTX760 and the game crashes at the launcher saying that my video card doesn't meet the game requirements if I put it into r3 (dx10) or r4 (dx11) mode. The only thing that googling has gotten me is 'delete your user.ltx file and/or change your renderer to r2 or lower'.

I'm running the SGM 2.2 all-in-one with the shaders and lua fixes listed in the OP.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Robot Randy posted:

e: found the one DDraig wrote, put this poo poo in the OP jesus

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847454/Turretsbegone.7z

Holy poo poo a mod that removes turrets from OGSE? You're a star, as I'm almost up to that bit. I'm gonna continue on just to see these infamous turrets, and remove them.

Also, knowing that someone else is playing OGSE gives me incentive to finish up my mini-mod for it. Makes wild animals and mutants into less insane bullet sponges. (Still a bit tougher than the vanilla game, but not as ludicrously bullet resistant as in normal OGSE). Also makes it so that NPCs aren't as good at avoiding anomalies if they are in combat mode, allowing you to use the artifact activation feature against human enemies rather than just creatures.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Vasudus posted:

Is there some trick to getting CoP running in DX10 or 11 mode? I've got a GTX760 and the game crashes at the launcher saying that my video card doesn't meet the game requirements if I put it into r3 (dx10) or r4 (dx11) mode. The only thing that googling has gotten me is 'delete your user.ltx file and/or change your renderer to r2 or lower'.

I'm running the SGM 2.2 all-in-one with the shaders and lua fixes listed in the OP.

For the DirectX 10/11 problems, it may be an issue with Microsoft Update KB2670838

This fucks up DX10 with a few games, Call of Pripyat being one. Game will crash consistently until you uninstall it. I think it's something for IE10, so no huge loss.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Ddraig posted:

For the DirectX 10/11 problems, it may be an issue with Microsoft Update KB2670838

This fucks up DX10 with a few games, Call of Pripyat being one. Game will crash consistently until you uninstall it. I think it's something for IE10, so no huge loss.

Unfortunately, this didn't fix it. I did however remove the update so I guess I've got that going for me.

If I delete my user.ltx file or change my renderer to r2/dynamic lighting the game launches fine. It looks like hammered rear end and runs like poo poo though.

edit: okay, I fixed it. Turns out that if you use the enhanced/optimized shaders in the OP with DX10 or 11 it does not play nice. Game now looks and runs much better with DX11.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 3, 2014

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Swartz posted:

Well, some dick beta-tester leaked Lost Alpha: http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/news/lost-alpha-update

On the bright side it means they will be officially releasing it this month, but it sounds like it isn't done still.

Such a shame. :sigh: I know they mention they are planning on continuing to support their release with updates to get it more stable, but I'm sad they won't be able to make the add on "official" anymore. It seemed like they were really working towards having GSC's full blessing, and now a lot of that effort has gone to waste.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

What's interesting is that they did say that the one area where GSC wanted them to make some changes was to give more hints to explain things to the player so that it was accessible to newcomers, while originally the game was designed to be ultra-hardcore as it was just for veteran fans. Even if there is no longer a chance of the game being sold as an official product, I think it is good that the game has been made more accessible.

It saddens me when someone buys STALKER and asks what mods they should use and people say they should play Oblivion Lost or OGSE or even Misery, and they look at the cool screenshots and list of features, give it a shot... and then have a miserable time because the game keeps kicking their arse while they are still trying to learn the basic mechanics. I'm sure that when Lost Alpha gets its official release it will make the news on various gaming websites (PC Gamer covered both Misery and Autumn Aurora 2, and they are less of a big deal than Lost Alpha). It will be played by lots of people that have not played any STALKER games, or who haven't played them since they were first released. You don't want to have half the players giving up half an hour into the game. And it is simply good practice to explain things to the player and have tutorials rather than say "you should know this already".

Of course, the ultra-hardcore stuff should still be in there, as half the players will be ultra-hardcore STALKER veterans. But it should be a difficulty curve.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Am I missing something? I thought Lost Alpha was a mod based on old builds of stalker. Is it an official commercial game now or am I thinking of something else?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Why is GSC apparently not backing LA anymore because of the leak? Isn't that a little much? I'd like to imagine that response was a little reactionary and things will eventually go back to plan once the dust settles, but I feel like I'm missing something.

thekimjong-illest
May 8, 2007
Is this your homework Larry?

Avocados posted:

Why is GSC apparently not backing LA anymore because of the leak? Isn't that a little much? I'd like to imagine that response was a little reactionary and things will eventually go back to plan once the dust settles, but I feel like I'm missing something.

GSCs whole beef with LA was that it was still buggy and they wanted the game to give more information to the player. So I could see the release (albeit leaked) of an incomplete build of the mod making GSC leery of officially backing the mod.

Which is hilarious considering how buggy vanilla SoC and Clear Sky are.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

thekimjong-illest posted:

Which is hilarious considering how buggy vanilla SoC and Clear Sky are.

That's one thing that I was very aware of while I was reading the "our release is going to be buggy but we'll support it" part of their statement. ShoC had corrupted save bugs, random CTDs, horrible slow down, the radiation bug, broken quests, the list goes on and on. CS had a lot of issues and continues to have enough issues that some players are straight up unable to complete the game. LA would have to be really badly put together to somehow outdo the release versions of GSC's Stalker games.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Support your public libraries, people! Managed to find Eduard Artemyev's score for Stalker in my library. It's the only place I've been able to find it.

I guess I want to see if some of it is workable as ambient level music for stalker.

e: Also here's the dynamic eyesight script for Misery

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847454/Dynamic%20Eyesight.7z

In theory, this should work for any stalker game, with any mod you wish, provided it doesn't have a similar function. The only two I know of that do are OGSE (which I based this on) and SGM

All you need to do is add a correct update function in xr_motivator.script

You can look at the included one (for misery) to get an idea.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 4, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

your evil twin posted:

What's interesting is that they did say that the one area where GSC wanted them to make some changes was to give more hints to explain things to the player so that it was accessible to newcomers, while originally the game was designed to be ultra-hardcore as it was just for veteran fans. Even if there is no longer a chance of the game being sold as an official product, I think it is good that the game has been made more accessible.

Yeah I really hope this is the case. This is pretty much my favorite FPS game, but its a hard sell to other friends because the games are quite rough around the edges and do a pretty horrid job of explaining things. I can't blame them for trying it and not touching it again. I've played the game long enough that it's obviously a non issue personally, but it didn't occur to me how hard the game was to understand until a friend of mine tried it out and had a hundred questions while playing.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Support your public libraries, people! Managed to find Eduard Artemyev's score for Stalker in my library. It's the only place I've been able to find it.

I guess I want to see if some of it is workable as ambient level music for stalker.

e: Also here's the dynamic eyesight script for Misery

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5847454/Dynamic%20Eyesight.7z

In theory, this should work for any stalker game, with any mod you wish, provided it doesn't have a similar function. The only two I know of that do are OGSE (which I based this on) and SGM

All you need to do is add a correct update function in xr_motivator.script

You can look at the included one (for misery) to get an idea.

Oh dang thats awesome that you managed to find the score, ive been looking all over for it myself but gave up months ago.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Out of the context of the film it's still pretty rad. I guess he was asked to make something that shows "the West and East can coexist but can never understand each other" so made this electric score with eastern style music played with synthed Russian instruments and that early electronic music feel. I'm definitely going to put the main theme on the radio if nothing else.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Is it possible to get a copy of it or would that be :filez:, you'd hope not with the USSR being gone and all.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I have no idea. Probably gonna air on the side of caution at the moment. Gonna do a bit of a check once I get home as I'm on my phone at the moment.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Lots of it seems kind of repetitive, going by what I've found on youtube. Very slight variations on the same thing.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Missing Name posted:

Lots of it seems kind of repetitive, going by what I've found on youtube. Very slight variations on the same thing.

Ddraig posted:

electric score with eastern style music played with synthed Russian instruments and that early electronic music feel.

Sounds about right. v:shobon:v

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
As far as creepy ambient music goes, the alternate soundtrack (I guess) by Robert Rich and Lustmord are pretty good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7qNsz6ZagA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fcSXk8BdjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO_el_SGg

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 4, 2014

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ddraig posted:

As far as creepy ambient music goes, the alternate soundtrack (I guess) by Robert Rich and Lustmord are pretty good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7qNsz6ZagA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fcSXk8BdjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO_el_SGg

Those two are really big names in ambient, and Lustmord especially in really creepy stuff. I'd wager a number of their songs would fit STALKER, whether they were written for it or not.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, they're two of the biggest. Lustmord himself is probably single-handedly responsible for dark ambient. Plus he was friends with Genesis P-Orridge which instantly makes him 100x cooler.

e: Update on the dynamic eyesight script. Decided to do a field test... went to Pripyat, decided to do the "ambush the monolith" mission. My team mates and I could barely see 30 feet infront of us due to the foggy weather. I eventually had to throw a grenade into the courtyard to try and kick things off. The Monolith, with their freaky hive mind, instantly homed in on us and we were pretty much cowering trying to figure out where the gently caress they were coming from and hold them off. I managed to push forward, nearly died several times, then managed to grab the gauss. Could hear gun fire coming from somewhere... no idea where, naturally. Head back through the mist, bump into several monolith and virtually all of the soldiers massacred.

Moral of the story: poo poo is better now, but it can make some parts really loving intense especially if you decide to attempt to ambush a group of heavily armored, hive-minded freaks when you can barely even see each other.

e: I've also disabled all of the spawn points for Duty/Freedom/Stalkers until free play. In the normal game, the only people who know a reliable route to Pripyat are your team, Garry and the mercs because they made Garry take them.

It's pretty loving stupid when you turn up in Pripyat, where the soldiers have been struggling to make contact with anyone, and you've already got groups of Duty/Freedom who have miraculously found a safe way there before you.

Now it's just you and the dwindling band of soldiers vs Monolith and Mercs. Truly a miserable, hellish experience.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 4, 2014

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Man, having night vision in the Agroprom underground rules.

I also found a stash called Mole's Hole :bigtran:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I would have liked OGSE more but it kept CTD'ing for no reason on me. I've had zero issues with Autumn Aurora 2 and now that I'm used to not seeing my ammo counter it's actually pretty awesome. SGM 1.7 is pretty crash free too but sometimes the menu will just glitch out and I'll have to ctrl-alt-del and it'll magically fix itself when I click task manager.

When Stalker crashes and the bugtrap report doesn't come up, does it still generate one in the log files?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If you're still using that bin folder I posted a while ago that's probably why it's not brining up the bugtrap dialog.

It should still generate an error log, though.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
OGSE set me up with a rechambered Groza and the matching suppressor. Also found a Monolith Ecosuit so I think the next few hours are gonna be real easy

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Here's some stuff from the SoC mod:

Basically testing out emissions and the cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9iMqi9tf24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7zqEdvAt1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XToTfBK9jg

Right now I've put all my focus on the game being the ultimate simulator of driving a battered car around the Ukrainian countryside while listening to cheesy 80s music.

I think this exciting new direction is what the stalker games ultimately lead to.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 5, 2014

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Hah, fantastic stuff! Putting the claxon sound through the bar's loudspeaker is pretty clever.

Last night in OGSE I defeated the turrets at the military outpost in the Cordon and got myself the APC. Much fun (and awkwardness) was had. On many occasions I was tempted to think it was too much trouble to be worth it and just to go on foot... naaaaaah, totally worth it.

In your first video, I noticed that the zero-gravity anomaly was seemingly invisible, and that you were carrying an anomaly detector in your inventory. Are you going with invisible (or very hard to see) anomalies? Or is it just the zero gravity anomaly that is invisible?

So far the "best" anomalies I've seen are those done by LoNer1 in Autumn Aurora 2 (and I think they were originally in his Particle Paradise mod). He got rid of the clouds of dust and leaves etc but kept the distortion effects, and the distortions were always my favourite aspect of the anomalies. They are hard to notice if you are running or driving around, but cool to look at if you are slowly creeping up to an anomaly. (And then when an anomaly is actually triggered he has impressive particle effects.)

Ddraig posted:

Right now I've put all my focus on the game being the ultimate simulator of driving a battered car around the Ukrainian countryside while listening to cheesy 80s music.

I think this exciting new direction is what the stalker games ultimately lead to.

Yesssssss.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Patches of low gravity are generally "invisible", although there's slight distortion around them.

Most anomalies aren't invisible. They have shader effects associated with them, so there's distortions in the air, stuff like that.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Ah cool, that's what I like to see/hear/whatever.

I've been playing through Call of Pripyat, greatly enjoying it. Also played some Sky Anomaly in a separate installation of Call of Pripyat, it's definitely interesting, though I'm a bit disappointed that it is constantly foggy. Weirdly the screenshots that advertise the mod show various interesting anomalous things in normal pleasant weather, but all the youtube videos show the same fog that I'm experiencing in the game, so I guess he decided to turn the Zone into Silent Hill.

Switching back and forth between playing COP and SOC, makes me realise that I like both the COP style artifact hunting where the artifacts are invisible and need detectors, AND I like the SOC style artifacts that are visible and there for the taking. The detectors look cool and are fun to use, but there's a logical flaw with the COP way of doing things... invisible artifacts that only exist in anomalies and can only be found with detectors begs the question "Well how did anyone find any of these things in the first place?"

I'd love a mod that did the Autumn Aurora 2 thing of putting COP style artifact hunting into SOC... but which also had ordinary visible artifacts being spawned as well. So artifact hunting with a detector would be a way of finding extra artifacts or rarer artifacts. Sometimes you'd see a visible artifact sitting somewhere, great. But if there's a field of anomalies that seemingly doesn't have any artifacts... whip out that detector, aha, there's one there after all!

Oh, turns out that in OGSE if you activate an artifact that creates a Whirligig anomaly it causes the game to crash. Gah. (Anyone ever noticed that before?) Not sure why given that the actual whirligig anomalies you come across are fine, and the crash only happens once the artifact has done the full activation sequence. Messed around in the artifact config file and tried changing some things but it didn't help.

OGSE seems to have some lopsided difficulty. I was bitching about the game being stupidly hard at first - trying to deal with insanely tough boars and dogs with just a sawn-off shotgun - but now I've left the Cordon area with some very good military body armour, an AK-74 with some advanced cobra sight and camo and a grenade launcher, I've got an APC with a turret that can murder anything. I'm feeling super confident about anything and everything. (I expect that half an hour later I'll run into some hideous nasty thing to put me in my place.)

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 6, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yeah as cool as OGSE is, its kind of easy to get suddenly incredibly powerful. I found it almost a little too easy to find exos and chainguns.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

your evil twin posted:

OGSE seems to have some lopsided difficulty.

Part of the trouble with OGSE's difficulty is that it messes with stashes. If you turn on random stashes, you can find an exo-suit and tunder in the cordon. Even with normal stashes, starting around Yantar you can find artifacts that give you basically 100% bullet protection with only a couple of them. OGSE tries to balance this by throwing out obscenely powerful mutants, but they all fall to miniguns and easy to feed rockets. Stalker has always had a hard time with balancing late game and early game. ShoC gets significantly harder at the end, CoP turns into a cake walk almost no matter what, and CS is frustrating at all times.

Edit: I meant to ask, Swartz do you have contact info for Alundaio? I have a couple questions about his dialogue requirements and I honestly don't feel like registering on that site just to ask them.

MadBimber fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 6, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

MadBimber posted:

OGSE tries to balance this by throwing out obscenely powerful mutants

Meeting an electro-chimera before the anticipated exo and machine gun was something. :stare:
It's a shame CS is in the state it's in. It brought a handful of unique areas to S.T.A.L.K.E.R but I can't fault anyone for wanting to play a game that seemingly doesn't want you to play it by trying to break itself every way possible.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 6, 2014

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Avocados posted:

Meeting an electro-chimera before the anticipated exo and machine gun was something. :stare:
It's a shame CS is in the state it's in. It brought a handful of unique areas to S.T.A.L.K.E.R but I can't fault anyone for wanting to play a game that seemingly doesn't want you to play it by trying to break itself every way possible.

Electro-Chimeras shouldn't be a thing. Unless you're in a certain area, there's no safe way to take one out by the time you realize what it is. It's basically the game killing you with advance notice.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CoP used to stutter a lot for me even on lowest settings. Good fps but every 15 seconds it freezes for a fraction of a second.
I used to think that it's because of my lovely CPU but I just upgraded my computer but the game still stutters in the same way.
Is it something specific to stalker games? I can't find any solution for that.

My current rig is i5-4670K CPU, 4GB DDR3 Ram, GeForce 560GTX. I can play pretty much anything on max settings but Stalker just doesn't want to stop stuttering.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Here's some stuff from the SoC mod:

Basically testing out emissions and the cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9iMqi9tf24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7zqEdvAt1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XToTfBK9jg

Personally id probably put leben heist leben there instead of Opus dei but that may just be me being unused to english lyrics in the zone.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

CoP used to stutter a lot for me even on lowest settings. Good fps but every 15 seconds it freezes for a fraction of a second.
I used to think that it's because of my lovely CPU but I just upgraded my computer but the game still stutters in the same way.

My current rig is i5-4670K CPU, 4GB DDR3 Ram, GeForce 560GTX. I can play pretty much anything on max settings but Stalker just doesn't want to stop stuttering.

video capabilites? I find that running 2.3gHz will give me optimal performance on "low."

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

It's the game. Stuttering in STALKER - especially CoP due to the larger, open-ended nature of the maps - is something you need to learn to live with. A stutter or hitch signifies you're coming in range of AI coming online, and is only compounded when you start getting into mods that heavily alter NPC behavior.

Definitely use this optimized .dll file if you aren't already. Stutter will always be there to some degree, but it helps a lot: https://mega.co.nz/#!BQQAiDYD!RCrx8MXF3xCCsFilC92m1fk3FercXCHhJx2SHmPwVes

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm playing SGM 2.1, when do I get an objective to go to one of the new (old) areas (dark valley, military warehouses)? I've finished the main storyline and I'm in freeplay now, not much to do besides kill hundreds of zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Horns posted:

It's the game. Stuttering in STALKER - especially CoP due to the larger, open-ended nature of the maps - is something you need to learn to live with. A stutter or hitch signifies you're coming in range of AI coming online, and is only compounded when you start getting into mods that heavily alter NPC behavior.

Definitely use this optimized .dll file if you aren't already. Stutter will always be there to some degree, but it helps a lot: https://mega.co.nz/#!BQQAiDYD!RCrx8MXF3xCCsFilC92m1fk3FercXCHhJx2SHmPwVes

"The file you are trying to download is no longer available."