Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, we sell essentials to most of our clients but this one just has their own way of doing things :(

... which leaves us managing dozens of ESXi hosts by hand.

If you're going to be stuck doing that, why not try to set up something with libvirt/virt-manager? Sure it's not vCenter, but it might be better than doing *everything* by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

NullPtr4Lunch posted:

If you're going to be stuck doing that, why not try to set up something with libvirt/virt-manager? Sure it's not vCenter, but it might be better than doing *everything* by hand.

It's pretty useless, to be honest. It can't do anythign you can't do without vCenter, it doesn't let you change hardware versions easily, you can't manage properties on the hosts themselves (network config, etc). Not a lot of point to it.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

evol262 posted:

It's pretty useless, to be honest. It can't do anythign you can't do without vCenter, it doesn't let you change hardware versions easily, you can't manage properties on the hosts themselves (network config, etc). Not a lot of point to it.

Bummer :(

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Hey I've got some invalid VMs on one of my hosts and some errors in the log. Let's take a look:

code:
The file table of the ramdisk 'root' is full.  As a 
result, the file 
/var/run/vmware/tickets/vmtck-5290ee37-1afc-66 
could not be created by the application 
'hostd-worker'.
error
4/2/2014 5:06:40 PM
Oh not this. Well let's go take a look:

code:
Ramdisk                   Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
root                       32M       18M       13M  57% --
etc                        28M      388K       27M   1% --
tmp                       192M       28K      191M   0% --
hostdstats                553M        7M      545M   1% --
:what:

Well since they're invalid I can't migrate anything while I try to fix this, so if I take it down or gently caress up, then production goes down :thumbsup:

Edit: ahhh... the file table is full. Time to delete some trap files.

itskage fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 2, 2014

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
You caught it but yeah it's not a capacity error:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2040707

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Yeah I just fixed it up with that article you linked.

I wonder if it's worth scripting something to fix this. I guess all of my hosts will eventually have the same issue. That article just states "This is a known issue affecting VMware ESXi 5.1. Currently, there is no resolution."

But it wouldn't be hard to script the clearing of the traps, and recreate that xml so it doesn't keep happening.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not super clear, and I'm not sure what terminology VMware use, but if there's no mention of it affecting 5.1 Update 1 / Update 2 then does that mean that it's only a problem on 5.1?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Caged posted:

It's not super clear, and I'm not sure what terminology VMware use, but if there's no mention of it affecting 5.1 Update 1 / Update 2 then does that mean that it's only a problem on 5.1?

I'm actually running 5.5.0 1474528 so who knows.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If I have 8, 10, 20, a billion ESXi hosts and I want to add a standard vSwitch to all of them, is this doable? And is this a scenario which indicates I need to be learning PowerCLI?

e: and I want to be clear, I'm asking not about a dvSwitch, of course I'm aware of those, I'm just asking if it's possible to create multiple vSwitches easily without having to do them one by one.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 4, 2014

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I need to be learning PowerCLI.
Due to crazy availability risk assessments, we run our entire estate on standard vSwitches; you want to be creating them, and all those portgroups, with very well maintained scripts.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So going kinda along that note.

I have a few sites with a few clusters at each site. Currently each site has its own isolated vMotion subnet. I am not running DCHP on that subnet. I'll go out of my way to statically assign hosts with their vMotion IPs to all go with the same scheme.

Example:

ChicagoVM-1
- vMotion-1 192.168.20.11
- vMotion-2 192.168.20.12
ChicagoVM-2
- vMotion-1 192.168.20.21
- vMotion-2 192.168.20.22

Am I sperging over this stuff for no reason? Should I just turn on DHCP on our switch for that subnet and just not give a poo poo?

I do like to OCD over stupid poo poo....

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Moey posted:

So going kinda along that note.

I have a few sites with a few clusters at each site. Currently each site has its own isolated vMotion subnet. I am not running DCHP on that subnet. I'll go out of my way to statically assign hosts with their vMotion IPs to all go with the same scheme.

Example:

ChicagoVM-1
- vMotion-1 192.168.20.11
- vMotion-2 192.168.20.12
ChicagoVM-2
- vMotion-1 192.168.20.21
- vMotion-2 192.168.20.22

Am I sperging over this stuff for no reason? Should I just turn on DHCP on our switch for that subnet and just not give a poo poo?

I do like to OCD over stupid poo poo....

No, I always statically assign my vMotion stuff, because you never know when a DHCP hiccup will cause your cluster to become very upset.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I always statically assign everything in a production network. I'm not really sure why you'd ever want DHCP running in a situation like that.

Unless you've got autodeploy or something, I guess?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

I always statically assign everything in a production network. I'm not really sure why you'd ever want DHCP running in a situation like that.

Unless you've got autodeploy or something, I guess?

We use dhcp for almost everything but not for vmotion nics.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
On the topic of switches, since that's where I'm studying right now.

So I can create a dvSwitch and attach it to a bunch of hosts. But if I want to add a vmkernel port to all of those hosts to allow them to vMotion using that dvSwitch, do I need to be doing that host by host? I don't see any way to do that at a higher level, it seems I still need to go host by host and add it by going to configuration, networking, vSphere Distributed Switch, then...

Is there a way to add it to multiple hosts at once?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

On the topic of switches, since that's where I'm studying right now.

So I can create a dvSwitch and attach it to a bunch of hosts. But if I want to add a vmkernel port to all of those hosts to allow them to vMotion using that dvSwitch, do I need to be doing that host by host? I don't see any way to do that at a higher level, it seems I still need to go host by host and add it by going to configuration, networking, vSphere Distributed Switch, then...

Is there a way to add it to multiple hosts at once?

You can do that with a command-line tool. The VMware way to do it is usually Host Profiles, which is $$$ (Enterprise Plus or something).

complex
Sep 16, 2003

You can do that with Set-VMHostNetworkAdapter. From the PowerCLI docs, something like
code:
$vswitch =  New-VDSwitch -Name "MyVDSwitch" -Location $myFolder -WithoutPortGroups

$nic =  New-VMHostNetworkAdapter -VMHost 10.23.112.234 -PortGroup PortGroup -VirtualSwitch $vswitch -IP 10.23.123.234 -SubnetMask 255.255.254.0

Set-VMHostNetworkAdapter -VirtualNIC $nic -IP 10.23.112.245 -SubnetMask 255.255.255.0 -Mtu 4000 -VMotionEnabled $true
There are some wrinkles if you're talking about a VDS vs. a standard vSwitch.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Another question I should know the answer too but can't find anything explicit on.

Particularly on Esxi5.x, but anyway, after a vMotion I'm pretty sure that the VM is triggered to do a time update.
Now, VMware Tools is configured to not use Host Sync, as we have a perfectly good NTP setup. I *thought* that it would use some feature of VMware Tools to tell the guest OS to do an NTP update, but I am worried that it's doing a Host Sync anyway?
I'm aware of the KB article that forces it to not issue the time update, what I'm specifically curious about is: Is the default post-vMotion timesync a host-sync, or does it trigger the Guest OS to update via NTP?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Mausi posted:

Particularly on Esxi5.x, but anyway, after a vMotion I'm pretty sure that the VM is triggered to do a time update.
Now, VMware Tools is configured to not use Host Sync, as we have a perfectly good NTP setup. I *thought* that it would use some feature of VMware Tools to tell the guest OS to do an NTP update, but I am worried that it's doing a Host Sync anyway?
I'm aware of the KB article that forces it to not issue the time update, what I'm specifically curious about is: Is the default post-vMotion timesync a host-sync, or does it trigger the Guest OS to update via NTP?

Stupid question: why not leave your VMs to sync time with the host, and then just configure the hosts to use NTP?

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
Anyone running their vSphere stuff from HDS HUS storage?

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Cidrick posted:

Stupid question: why not leave your VMs to sync time with the host, and then just configure the hosts to use NTP?

Ah well, there is a very long and complicated politically correct answer for that, but the short version is that our .-~*Corporate Builds*~-. of Linux and Windows ping every kind of vuln and security scan if NTP isn't enabled, so we use NTP.
Hosts and VMs are sync'd to the same NTP sources, so the variation is minimal, and we don't run the Linux kernels that crash if the time is sync'd backwards, we do however get the occasional app developer who codes badly enough that they crash if the clock jumps backwards a second or so, which is what triggered this investigation.

I'm just really not sure if the VM is force sync'd to the host or uses it's own time configuration after vMotion.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Cidrick posted:

VMware (and general computing) best practices discourage this for a number of very good reasons.

NTP is very careful with how it adjusts time. Lots of software doesn't work work well with the time suddenly being earlier than the last time it had, for example. NTP is designed to play nice and correct the clock skew by slowing down the clock until it's correct, rather than setting the time backwards.

VM guests are really good at losing time.

Mausi posted:

Another question I should know the answer too but can't find anything explicit on.

VMware Tools will resync time with the host after events where it thinks the guest is likely to lose the correct time. These events are: vMotion, restore from suspend, and restore from snapshot.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 7, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm installing SUSE on a System/Z emulator running on a VM of Windows 7 under Xenserver.

What do I win?

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Question on utilizing network adapters between host and guests. Is there a way for me to force my Host (Windows 7) to only use my Wireless adapter, and let my Guest OS (Running in VMWare Workstation) use my Ethernet interface? Both NICs are internal (laptop).

I used to do this with a USB Wireless adapter, where my host was using my built in Wireless adapter, and I forwarded my USB adapter to my guest, but I don't know how to do this in my current setup.

My goal is to connect to two different external networks simultaneously.

nescience fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 9, 2014

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.
Is anyone knowing how to backup a VMWare hosted SQLserver with Veeam without any dedicated agent ? Don't you need VMTools at any moment to quiesce the DB ?
I've found a production database in a subsidary saved through Veeam but no VMTools/agents/whatever on the server,- and no trace of FREEZE in logs - so I'm a bit dubious about coherence in that case. Or maybe I'm just overly pessimistic

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Picardy Beet posted:

Is anyone knowing how to backup a VMWare hosted SQLserver with Veeam without any dedicated agent ? Don't you need VMTools at any moment to quiesce the DB ?
I've found a production database in a subsidary saved through Veeam but no VMTools/agents/whatever on the server,- and no trace of FREEZE in logs - so I'm a bit dubious about coherence in that case. Or maybe I'm just overly pessimistic

In the Veeam job, you can specify an account for it to use to trigger a VSS snapshot (Guest Processing -> Enable application-aware image processing), so no, you don't need an agent. However, the right way to back up a SQL server is to back up the databases using SQL Server's built in backup functionality. You can then backup the VM with Veeam and exclude the drives where the database files sit, or you can have a SQL Server template ready to go to restore the databases from the SQL backups.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

KillHour posted:

I'm installing SUSE on a System/Z emulator running on a VM of Windows 7 under Xenserver.

What do I win?

A ticket to the sweet embrace of the crypt.

That's rad as hell

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

Erwin posted:

In the Veeam job, you can specify an account for it to use to trigger a VSS snapshot (Guest Processing -> Enable application-aware image processing), so no, you don't need an agent. However, the right way to back up a SQL server is to back up the databases using SQL Server's built in backup functionality. You can then backup the VM with Veeam and exclude the drives where the database files sit, or you can have a SQL Server template ready to go to restore the databases from the SQL backups.
n

Funnily, things I've also found (and corrected) : a non-monitored maintenance plan in error since at least two months.... on the full DB backup.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

nescience posted:

Question on utilizing network adapters between host and guests. Is there a way for me to force my Host (Windows 7) to only use my Wireless adapter, and let my Guest OS (Running in VMWare Workstation) use my Ethernet interface? Both NICs are internal (laptop).

I used to do this with a USB Wireless adapter, where my host was using my built in Wireless adapter, and I forwarded my USB adapter to my guest, but I don't know how to do this in my current setup.

My goal is to connect to two different external networks simultaneously.

Under the network adapter properties in Windows uncheck TCP/IP 4 and 6, then in VMware Workstation set a custom network segment that is attached to that nic and set all of your vms to use that.

I think.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Erwin posted:

However, the right way to back up a SQL server is to back up the databases using SQL Server's built in backup functionality.

That's not really true -- Veeam, PHD, and most SAN snapshotting software can create a VSS Full backup that is functionally equivalent to a native SQL backup, but better in that it doesn't necessarily consume the extra time to run, disk space, and IO.

The setting is named different things in the various software packages, but if it creates a VSS Full (vs. Copy) backup, it allows SQL to truncate transaction logs and marks the DB as backed up, just like a native backup would do.

KS fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 9, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KS posted:

That's not really true -- Veeam, PHD, and most SAN snapshotting software can create a VSS Full backup that is functionally equivalent to a native SQL backup, but better in that it doesn't necessarily consume the extra time to run, disk space, and IO.

The setting is named different things in the various software packages, but if it creates a VSS Full (vs. Copy) backup, it allows SQL to truncate transaction logs and marks the DB as backed up, just like a native backup would do.
There are caveats, though. Running a SQL Server database in FULL recovery mode without correctly managing the transaction log will, at best, give you a transaction log that has so many Virtual Log Files that the DB won't start correctly when you go to recover. (2012 is much better than 2008 R2 in this regard.)

As far as I know, this should work fine in SIMPLE, though.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
Got a random question and figured here is as good a place as any. I have a ESXi 4.1 host that is acting strange. The only alert is about unavailable space, which I know means I need to get into the console and clear out some logs (or find space somehow). Problem is SSH won't let me in (even though it was running, I stopped it when it didn't work and tried to start it again and it failed to start), and the console isn't letting me in either. I can't telnet to port 902 either (which would normally allow but tell me ssl required and not let me do anything).

When I shut down a VM it will no longer boot.

I am wondering, if I'm going to have to reboot the host? I don't have a configuration backup (I know I know) so if it's hosed on reboot it'll take some doing to get running again.

Just looking for some thoughts.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Misogynist posted:

There are caveats, though. Running a SQL Server database in FULL recovery mode without correctly managing the transaction log will, at best, give you a transaction log that has so many Virtual Log Files that the DB won't start correctly when you go to recover. (2012 is much better than 2008 R2 in this regard.)

As far as I know, this should work fine in SIMPLE, though.

"Full" in the context of VSS is not at all the same as SQL's full recovery model. They are not really related, except that you can use one to help manage the other.

A SQL database in simple mode uses a transaction log only to assure operations are atomic. The transaction log shouldn't grow bigger than the size of currently in flight transactions. A transaction is written to the log, then written to the database, then flushed from the log once it is written to the database completely.

SQL's full mode adds in the ability to keep historical transactions in the transaction log. This means the log can be "replayed" from the last full database backup. The idea with full recovery mode is that if you have a database failure, you can restore the last full backup, then replay the logs forward all the way to the current point in time. The log will also grow indefinitely unless you truncate it. When you issue the truncate command, SQL finds the last full database backup, and flushes all transaction logs before that point in time.

VSS offers two modes of backing up a SQL database: Copy and Full. The difference is that "full" marks the database as backed up for the purposes of transaction log flushing, while "copy" doesn't. If you do a VSS Full backup and then ask SQL to flush transaction logs, all logs from before the backup will be purged. Note this won't actually shrink the log file on disk, but it will free up space within the log file. Shrinking the physical files is generally a bad idea. The transaction log should stabilize at the size necessary to contain all transactions between backup intervals for your busiest interval.

I've actually set all this up on some heavy duty transactional databases with Compellent's tools, and it works great. Replay Manager takes VSS fulls every 15 minutes and keeps 4 hours worth. The transaction logs get archived and then flushed on the same schedule. You can restore a database replay right from Compellent's GUI, check the option to leave the database in recovery mode, and replay the log forward successfully. It gives you the capability to roll back the database to any arbitrary point in time in the last four hours. Netapp, EMC, and others can do the same thing. It's pretty slick, but not really needed for most databases.

e: so if you wanted to use Veeam to backup a database in full recovery mode, all you have to do is make sure you're taking VSS fulls instead of copies, then issue the log flush command as a post-backup script.

KS fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 9, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I got a blast from VMware that Horizon 6 is the new hottness coming out.

I expect a full trip report from Dilbert ASAP.

(I am just starting to plan for my upgrade from View 5.0)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
When Horizon 6 comes out will I be eligible for a new 60 day trial? I already did one for the previous version.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

When Horizon 6 comes out will I be eligible for a new 60 day trial? I already did one for the previous version.

You can just create another account and get another trial key.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

I got a blast from VMware that Horizon 6 is the new hottness coming out.

I expect a full trip report from Dilbert ASAP.

(I am just starting to plan for my upgrade from View 5.0)

Once I am done setting up my VPS, installing WP, and a few other things I'll do a consistent blog.

Some pretty cool stuff, some features, glad to see they are starting to throw Citrix some competition.

Work has be diving into some more citrix, vCAC, and Orchastrator, moreso than View right now.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I need some help figuring out if I'm way in over my head or just retarded. Moderate networking/system administration background with zero exposure to SCSI storage.

Inherited a bunch of sweet equipment and I'm staging a HA Hyper-V environment. My problem is this: The SAN is making me feel like a moron.

2x Poweredge T410, Xeon 5630 /w 96 GB RAM for hosts with with 8 NICs each
HP P2000 G3 iSCSI Dual controller /w 4x 1GB iSCSI per controller

The person I inherited the SAN from had it set up with two gigabit switches for access, which I may not need since I plan on directly attaching the storage to my two hosts if possible (seems like it based on the documentation). It looks like the traffic is split into two data VLANs on the switches, which I don't believe I would need either. But my problems don't begin there. I can't even fathom how to connect to the SAN or mount the volumes. I have an IP address that I can ping on the management port but that's it. Is there some special way to use the Windows iSCSI initiator that I don't know about? Is there some configuration wizard or software controller from HP that I just can't find? Is there a guide for special people like myself? iSCSI SAN configuration for dummies turns up nothing

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Roargasm posted:

I need some help figuring out if I'm way in over my head or just retarded. Moderate networking/system administration background with zero exposure to SCSI storage.

Inherited a bunch of sweet equipment and I'm staging a HA Hyper-V environment. My problem is this: The SAN is making me feel like a moron.

2x Poweredge T410, Xeon 5630 /w 96 GB RAM for hosts with with 8 NICs each
HP P2000 G3 iSCSI Dual controller /w 4x 1GB iSCSI per controller

The person I inherited the SAN from had it set up with two gigabit switches for access, which I may not need since I plan on directly attaching the storage to my two hosts if possible (seems like it based on the documentation). It looks like the traffic is split into two data VLANs on the switches, which I don't believe I would need either. But my problems don't begin there. I can't even fathom how to connect to the SAN or mount the volumes. I have an IP address that I can ping on the management port but that's it. Is there some special way to use the Windows iSCSI initiator that I don't know about? Is there some configuration wizard or software controller from HP that I just can't find? Is there a guide for special people like myself? iSCSI SAN configuration for dummies turns up nothing

Leave them on the switches so you can multipath access and take failures.

Log into the management interface, and you'll be presented with options (I only have no idea what the interface on this is; HP is big on Lefthand, so maybe that, but I've never touched this particular bit of kit) to provision LUNs ("disks" which can be mapped), mask those LUNs (make sure that only certain clients can see certain LUNs), maybe configure replication, etc.

It might be using iSNS for authentication. It may just be IP masking. I don't know. But each of those gigabit ports should have its own IP address that the LUNs will be visible on (depending on the mask).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Oh my god it's a webserver :suicide: I can't believe I didn't check that, thank you so much