Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

The complex question strategy wouldn't be very entertaining to watch though. Would just devolve to both players trying to trick the other with difficult questions to eliminate numbers and the winner would be decided by who was lucky enough to successfully lie with random guesses. The winner would just be the first person to randomly cause the opponent to get 6 penalties and ask a few questions to determine the order of the left over.

I prefer both the players playing in good faith but using different strategies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xachariah posted:

The complex question strategy wouldn't be very entertaining to watch though. Would just devolve to both players trying to trick the other with difficult questions to eliminate numbers and the winner would be decided by who was lucky enough to successfully lie with random guesses. The winner would just be the first person to randomly cause the opponent to get 6 penalties and ask a few questions to determine the order of the left over.

I prefer both the players playing in good faith but using different strategies.

That is playing in good faith. The best Genius games are when someone realizes that the rules imply something completely different from what people expect is the "correct" way to play and then exploit it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Asking some impossible math question would be really stupid

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Someone already nailed it on the head last page. Just keep asking "What number is not your password?" over and over.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah, that's game-breaking but in a more cute logic-trick way.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

qbert posted:

Someone already nailed it on the head last page. Just keep asking "What number is not your password?" over and over.

You cannot ask questions about any number in the world(which is what your question is) you could only ask questions about your opponent's number.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Sangmin's shirt was ridiculous. Bring on season 3!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I kind of hope Sangmin and Jinho don't come back next season. I love both of them, but I think it'd be lame to have them on for 3 straight seasons.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Give me Junghyun and Sangmin for guest cameos in Season 3 and I'll be happy.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Oh I forgot to mention my favorite part of the finale: VERY BLUE PANCAKE.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If they're going to bring back contestants again please bring back Kyungran :(

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Rarity posted:

If they're going to bring back contestants again please bring back Kyungran :(

She would murder the newbies. It would be a bloodbath.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Soylentbits posted:

She would murder the newbies. It would be a bloodbath.

I won't rest until every S1 contestant has won a season

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I just finished the second season. A few moments really bugged me. The first was in Season 1, during the Numbers Auction game. Everyone gave up when Sunggyu had the 11 block, but there was still a viable way to keep him from instantly winning. Whenever a number he wants come up, immediately bid a number that you have, then another person would then bid the same number against you. Of course after you do this the first time, Sunggyu would now have to try to beat you to the punch next time, but there's still the chance that you'd be faster than him.

The second moment was the editing with Sangmin finding the token of immortality. The way they edited it, it seemed like Sangmin was still looking for it after the time he found it. Either he was just messing with everyone by making noise for no reason, or they changed some of the footage order so that people were hearing him look after he had already found it.

I also came up with an alternate theory about how to use the "No Penalty" gift, but maybe it wouldn't have worked. Sometime in the first few questions, before the opponent could narrow it down too much, I would use the gift before answering, then lie anyways. Then, it would look like I was using it to tell the truth. If the buzzer would have still gone off but I wasn't penalized, then obviously this wouldn't work.

Lastly, I read this thread as I caught up, and I was upset I couldn't respond at the time to all of the Eunkyul haters that came out of the woodworks the episode he was eliminated. You guys were up in arms about him targeting Jiwon "at random" but he explained his motivation, and lo and behold, he was completely and utterly correct. The broadcaster alliance destroyed otherwise great competitors for the next few matches, and because of that, one of the most seemingly clueless and useless guys was able to take out Jinho of all people... the same guy Eunkyul tried to target as the weak link.

Anyways, I enjoyed it and would watch more, but I do think that if they make it to Season 5 they should pull an "All Stars" like Survivor does every once in a while.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Superrodan posted:

Lastly, I read this thread as I caught up, and I was upset I couldn't respond at the time to all of the Eunkyul haters that came out of the woodworks the episode he was eliminated. You guys were up in arms about him targeting Jiwon "at random" but he explained his motivation, and lo and behold, he was completely and utterly correct. The broadcaster alliance destroyed otherwise great competitors for the next few matches, and because of that, one of the most seemingly clueless and useless guys was able to take out Jinho of all people... the same guy Eunkyul tried to target as the weak link.

Looking back the problem wasn't Eunkyul's motivation, although some people had that problem at the time. The problem was the way he went about it, which showed his hand to a lot of the very people he called out. There was no way Hongchul was going to choose Jiwon over the guy who pretty much told him "you're next." That, combined with Sangmin already being a better spy than Eunkyul in that same match, made the outcome pretty obvious.

Rarity posted:

I won't rest until every S1 contestant has won a season

Next season will be the season of Jungmoon, just you all wait. :allears:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm just thankful that someone came out in defense of Eunkyul. I thought I was a gigantic moron for being a fan.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Eunkyul wasn't performing all that well in the matches, but he did a great job of recognizing the power of the broadcaster power bloc so early. Unfortunately, his attempt to derail it was poorly planned and executed. He should have explained his reasoning to the other players and worked to set up a countering faction before things got out of hand. Instead he just got himself martyred and made the balance of power favor the broadcasters even more.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Eunkyul needed to do some magic, I saw him in another variety show and he managed it there on the spot so it's not like he requires tons of preparation.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Davincie posted:

Eunkyul needed to do some magic, I saw him in another variety show and he managed it there on the spot so it's not like he requires tons of preparation.

We're going to need a link for that, sir.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Varam posted:

Eunkyul wasn't performing all that well in the matches, but he did a great job of recognizing the power of the broadcaster power bloc so early. Unfortunately, his attempt to derail it was poorly planned and executed. He should have explained his reasoning to the other players and worked to set up a countering faction before things got out of hand. Instead he just got himself martyred and made the balance of power favor the broadcasters even more.

Exactly this, I didn't care who got sent home that ep at all but Eunkyul went about it so stupidly that he absolutely deserved to get sent home.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

We're going to need a link for that, sir.

I don't have a link but its either episode 20 or 21 of heroes. He does some basic magic while in a restaurant.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
I just watched S1E1. This show is like the Gameshow version of Ocean's 11. Even the music fits the theme. I love it. Thanks for opening my world to this!

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

This Post Sucks posted:

I just watched S1E1. This show is like the Gameshow version of Ocean's 11. Even the music fits the theme. I love it. Thanks for opening my world to this!

They use music from those movies so it doesn't seem its a coincidence. I believe one of the main "shocking reveal" songs is directly from Ocean's 12, Yen on a Carousel

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Currently making my way through S1. I looked through the thread, but couldn't find what one of the pieces of "whimsical music" is, and it's been stuck in my head all day. Would somebody mind helping me out? Linked timestamp from S1E8

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

Currently making my way through S1. I looked through the thread, but couldn't find what one of the pieces of "whimsical music" is, and it's been stuck in my head all day. Would somebody mind helping me out? Linked timestamp from S1E8

Here you go! Gritty Shaker by David Holmes

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I just got back from a Korean music showcase here at Austin and idiotape (they play the intro song) played and they loving killed it. They're so good.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I just got back from a Korean music showcase here at Austin and idiotape (they play the intro song) played and they loving killed it. They're so good.

When they started playing the theme song did you suddenly feel like you had to fight the entire audience because if so we understand.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, I'm curious if that idea to run a forum version of this in PbP or the like ever got off the ground? It's definitely doable, because I have played a thing on another forum that was basically just this without the Garnet system. With S2 finished, it seems like it'd be timed pretty well if someone was to do it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I know Rarity wants to run one, but she's been busy with real life things (what a nerd!) to consider before she made the game.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

Any word on season 3?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

winvirus posted:

Any word on season 3?

Seriously, there has to be a producer or something out there with a twitter that's said SOMETHING. The fact that there was no s3 teaser at the end of s2 was already worrying.

How successful was s2 in terms of viewer numbers and public opinion?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Dragonatrix posted:

So, I'm curious if that idea to run a forum version of this in PbP or the like ever got off the ground? It's definitely doable, because I have played a thing on another forum that was basically just this without the Garnet system. With S2 finished, it seems like it'd be timed pretty well if someone was to do it.

This would be loads of fun and I'd play in a heartbeat.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
So, going through Season 2:

I just started the Monopolizing Game. It's actually fun to see that there are "home editions" of some of the games here, and I wonder if they were inspired by their originals at all. Hap! Gyul! is available as a card game called SET, and the Monopolizing Game is actually a ridiculously fun party game called Pit which I highly recommend you pick up. Does anybody know of any other games that were lifted / inspired?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, going through Season 2:

I just started the Monopolizing Game. It's actually fun to see that there are "home editions" of some of the games here, and I wonder if they were inspired by their originals at all. Hap! Gyul! is available as a card game called SET, and the Monopolizing Game is actually a ridiculously fun party game called Pit which I highly recommend you pick up. Does anybody know of any other games that were lifted / inspired?

Seven Commandments had a home version that I remember seeing a link to at some point earlier in the thread. I can't seem to find the name of it now though.

Also the death match, Laser Chess, is exactly like Khet with one rule change.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The minus auction is also a card game, but I don't remember what it's called. Of course, you don't even need to buy it; just scribble the numbers 1 through 35 on a regular deck of cards or popsicle sticks or pogs.

The deathmatch with all the cat pictures from season 1 is a game called Dixit, but the real game has much more lavish art in the pictures than just a bunch of memes.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
How long after season 1 did it take before the season 2 promos were released? I know they did the thing at the end of the season, but a while later they also started revealing trailers and player bios I think, right?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The international trailer was taken down sometime recently. I sent it to a friend two days ago and it worked fine then.

Is something up with TVN?

Also, I went ahead and bought Idiotape's album, 11111101. Really good if you're into electronic music.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
https://twitter.com/sangmind3232/status/452058766901391360
https://twitter.com/sangmind3232/status/448828663308365824/photo/1

I don't know what this is about but I like to think this is Sangmin replacing the bandage dude as the new host of The Genius season 3. :allears:

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Well jinho did mention TG3 in his SNL skits but I don't really want him to come back even if he is awesome. I just want all new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
While poking around the TVN website to see why the international trailer was taken down, I stumbled upon something else. It seems that the Korean TV channels all have a Facebook clone called "interest.me".

http://my.interest.me/thegenius
http://my.interest.me/thegenius2

There's some interesting stuff here. There's some journals from the production staff of the second season, which I can't read, but show off the original games for most of the main / death matches. All of our guesses were right. Seems that Food Chain / Layoff were also based off some board games.

http://my.interest.me/thegenius2/25764102

There's also a pic of the Season 1 set taken from above. TV magic is excellent. :allears: