Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Don't post things from Italy anyway. Even from a postshop it will cost you 2-3X as much as sending things from basically anywhere else in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
And there's only a 50% chance it will get to your destination anyway.

There's a reason there's always a line at the Vatican City post office, since it's not affiliated with Italian Post.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HookShot posted:

And there's only a 50% chance it will get to your destination anyway.

There's a reason there's always a line at the Vatican City post office, since it's not affiliated with Italian Post.

Also because it has special stamps and gets posted from a "different country". But yeah, I've never had a postcard not reach its destination but it can easily be upwards of 2 months from Italy to the US.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

drat that is terrible. I never had more than about 2 weeks from It -> Nz. Nothing lost so far so I guess i'm good.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Can anyone give me a rundown on teaching English overseas? I'm looking particularly at Europe, but I don't mind very much where in terms of countries. I assume I would need some qualification to do so and a quick Google search shows me a bunch of places that offer them, but there seem to be different packages which I'm not too sure of the difference. But what happens afterwards? How easy is it to get a job? I'm from Australia if it helps at all. I just want to know all the details before I front up a few hundred on a potentially useless course.

EDIT - I think I've probably left this a bit late as it seems a few of the online courses run up to 120 hours and that must take over a month, if not two. I'm on holiday from mid-October to March, but I'm likely to finish university properly halfway through 2016, and I'll be casting around for something to do then, I guess, so questions stand.

Octy fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 6, 2014

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Has anyone had any experience with Workaway? (http://www.workaway.info)

Looking at the site it seems like a dream come true as it is mostly families asking you to spend 3 hours a say teaching their kids English while giving you plenty of time to explore. Half the reason I'm going to Spain is to improve my Spainish so being able to stay rent free in return for hanging out with a few nińos seems like a pretty good deal.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
^^
If Spain interests you, their conversation assistants program hires Aussies like nobody's business (you get first priority over us Americans for some reason). It requires no qualifications besides a pulse and native speaker status in the language you wanna teach. Take a Spanish course or two between now and 2016, and apply early (like January) of that year to start in October. Here's the link if you wanna use a translator: http://www.mecd.gob.es/australia/convocatorias/programas/auxiliares-de-conversacion-australianos.html

edit: vv no, you apply in January 2015 to start in October 2015

Mortley fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 6, 2014

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Mortley posted:

^^
If Spain interests you, their conversation assistants program hires Aussies like nobody's business (you get first priority over us Americans for some reason). It requires no qualifications besides a pulse and native speaker status in the language you wanna teach. Take a Spanish course or two between now and 2016, and apply early (like January) of that year to start in October. Here's the link if you wanna use a translator: http://www.mecd.gob.es/australia/convocatorias/programas/auxiliares-de-conversacion-australianos.html

I plan to go in 2015, is it too late apply for that timeframe? I've been learning Spanish on and off for a bit over a year but I'm knuckling down this year to get to an intermediate level.

On another note has anyone got any experience with the Canary Islands? They look like a really cool laid back place to finish my trip.

The Slippery Nipple fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 6, 2014

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Canary islands are very popular holiday destinations. The climate is nice most of the year so many old people like to go there. You have a bit of everything, nice beaches, beautiful mountains. It is also one of the best surf spots in Europe. Not sure if there are many backpackers around, I guess mostly families and old folks.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
In addition to that it's a popular cycling spot. The coastline is super touristy in most places. lovely restaurants with people outside that talk you in etc. But inland they're beautiful, with nice people, cute villages and super scenic mountains.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Brace for :words:

I've been looking at hashing out more of the details of my upcoming trip to Prague and Budapest, and would appreciate any advice and recommendations. I'm arriving in Prague in the late afternoon of Saturday, May 24th, will be taking the train to Budapest on Wednesday, May 28th, and then will be flying out of Budapest back to the U.S. on Sunday, June 1st. I want to book my lodging and also make a list of things to see and do, and places to eat. So far I've just looked at TripAdvisor for ideas, and I know that's just scratching the surface.

My goals for the trip are to wander around, take a lot of pictures, see historical sites and maybe some museums, and eat a lot of food. Maybe go to a rock climbing gym if there are good ones in the area, since that's one of my favorite hobbies. One thing I learned from my previous trip is that traveling solo is nice for making your own schedule, but having the option to do things with other people would be nice.

So, for lodging, I was thinking about hostels, as the social aspect seems pretty appealing. I'm not a party animal, but it seems like a good way to connect with other travelers. The worry I have, though, is that I am a light sleeper and really don't want to share a room. So I'd want something with either a private room or maybe a double room where I can book both beds and have it to myself. Which, I know, is contrary to the point of a hostel, but I don't care about it from the perspective of saving money. In Prague, I saw a mention not long ago in the thread for Hostel One Home, but they look to have only large dorm rooms, which I want to avoid. The Czech Inn apparently has some private rooms and is well regarded on the ratings, any feedback on this? And in Budapest, Penthouse Privates is highly rated and they have mostly double rooms, which I could book both of. Thoughts?

Next, any sights or experiences that I need to be sure not to miss? I'm going to see the KGB museum in Prague (which is small, I know - I think the small, tightly focused museums and such would be best for my schedule), the House of Terror in Budapest, maybe that underground hospital, and of course I'll want to see some castles and churches. Given how short my vacation is, I know there's a lot I'll miss, but I can't get any more time, so I'll do what I can.

And lastly, food. I want to eat local styles of food, and TripAdvisor gave me a few ideas, but I'd appreciate any and all recommendations.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Kylaer posted:

Brace for :words:

I've been looking at hashing out more of the details of my upcoming trip to Prague and Budapest, and would appreciate any advice and recommendations. I'm arriving in Prague in the late afternoon of Saturday, May 24th, will be taking the train to Budapest on Wednesday, May 28th, and then will be flying out of Budapest back to the U.S. on Sunday, June 1st. I want to book my lodging and also make a list of things to see and do, and places to eat. So far I've just looked at TripAdvisor for ideas, and I know that's just scratching the surface.

My goals for the trip are to wander around, take a lot of pictures, see historical sites and maybe some museums, and eat a lot of food. Maybe go to a rock climbing gym if there are good ones in the area, since that's one of my favorite hobbies. One thing I learned from my previous trip is that traveling solo is nice for making your own schedule, but having the option to do things with other people would be nice.

So, for lodging, I was thinking about hostels, as the social aspect seems pretty appealing. I'm not a party animal, but it seems like a good way to connect with other travelers. The worry I have, though, is that I am a light sleeper and really don't want to share a room. So I'd want something with either a private room or maybe a double room where I can book both beds and have it to myself. Which, I know, is contrary to the point of a hostel, but I don't care about it from the perspective of saving money. In Prague, I saw a mention not long ago in the thread for Hostel One Home, but they look to have only large dorm rooms, which I want to avoid. The Czech Inn apparently has some private rooms and is well regarded on the ratings, any feedback on this? And in Budapest, Penthouse Privates is highly rated and they have mostly double rooms, which I could book both of. Thoughts?

Next, any sights or experiences that I need to be sure not to miss? I'm going to see the KGB museum in Prague (which is small, I know - I think the small, tightly focused museums and such would be best for my schedule), the House of Terror in Budapest, maybe that underground hospital, and of course I'll want to see some castles and churches. Given how short my vacation is, I know there's a lot I'll miss, but I can't get any more time, so I'll do what I can.

And lastly, food. I want to eat local styles of food, and TripAdvisor gave me a few ideas, but I'd appreciate any and all recommendations.

Just one quick tip for Budapest: If you go up to the Fisherman's Bastion and Castle (which you should, and make sure you walk, since it's really quite nice), check out the Café Ruszwurm. They have a really sweet café, very nice cakes and are in a rather convenient location if you need a break: http://www.ruszwurm.hu/a_menu.html

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Thank you, and yes, I'll definitely be walking as much as possible. Easier to stop and investigate anything that catches my eye that way.

Just how overblown are the concerns about street pickpockets? I don't have a giant flashy DSLR camera, but I do plan on carrying a normal sized camera in a cargo-pants pocket, unless this is a really bad idea. I come from an area where pickpocketing is extremely rare...due to a preference among the criminals for armed robbery :911:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

You're not going to get pick-pocketed. I have no idea why everyone in America thinks they're going to get robbed the second they step off a plane.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

^^with the exceptionof certain cities in spain your chance of being pickpocketed is very low unless you are a complete moron.

I will second Cafe Ruszwurm, its cakes are simply devine.

I would also say take walking tours in both cities, they are usually tips based, about 5 euro, is plenty for eastern Europe. They are a good way to learn some history of the place and get your bearings.

For Prague the Kutna Hora bone chapel is a good day trip. The castle is also worthwhile. I would also recommend walking to the Strahov Monastery to see the gorgeous library and try their beer (the best in the Czech Republic apparently, and I would believe it!)

Budapest you have to go to the hot baths at least once. The castle, palace and fishermans on the hill are also good but apparently not worth going inside if you have to pay.
The other major thing in Budapest you cant miss is the ruin Bars. Szimpla is the most touristy one but is still really cool and alternative.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 6, 2014

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Saros posted:

Budapest you have to go to the hot baths at least once. The castle, palace and fishermans on the hill are also good but apparently not worth going inside if you have to pay.
The other major thing in Budapest you cant miss is the ruin Bars. Szimpla is the most touristy one but is still really cool and alternative.

I'll second both those. I didn't get to see Szimpla in full swing as we only happened to stumble across it on the last afternoon while we were killing time before the taxi to the airport arrived. It's pretty quiet at 5pm, but it was fun to look at all the cool stuff.

The baths were probably the highlight of the trip for me. Aside from being stunning it was also a great way to relax after walking ~20 miles over the previous few days.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
^^

Thank you, these are the kind of suggestions I'm looking for, I will look up those places and add them to my list.

Sweevo posted:

You're not going to get pick-pocketed. I have no idea why everyone in America thinks they're going to get robbed the second they step off a plane.

Oh, I know the risk isn't what it's made out to be in popular perception, and I walked around Bangkok with my camera in my pocket just as I plan to in Europe, I just didn't know how exaggerated it was. Also, I may in fact be a complete moron.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Go to the big market building in Budapest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Market_Hall_%28Budapest%29

It's really interesting and you can get a v. nice lunch at one of the counters on the second floor.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Octy posted:

Can anyone give me a rundown on teaching English overseas? I'm looking particularly at Europe, but I don't mind very much where in terms of countries. I assume I would need some qualification to do so and a quick Google search shows me a bunch of places that offer them, but there seem to be different packages which I'm not too sure of the difference. But what happens afterwards? How easy is it to get a job? I'm from Australia if it helps at all. I just want to know all the details before I front up a few hundred on a potentially useless course.

EDIT - I think I've probably left this a bit late as it seems a few of the online courses run up to 120 hours and that must take over a month, if not two. I'm on holiday from mid-October to March, but I'm likely to finish university properly halfway through 2016, and I'll be casting around for something to do then, I guess, so questions stand.

There's a TEFL thread that's got a good OP and a fair few of us have bookmarked it so have a look at that and then post your next set of questions there. :)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3302316

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Kylaer posted:

If you are in a czech restaurant and think you can get away with it, try česnečka (garlic soup). That stuff is cool. Another thing I personally would want to try is to compare the gulash in Hungary vs. that from the Czech republic. It's a staple food in both countries and I want to know who does it better. ;)

Edit: Btw Bangkok has ridiculously low crime compared to Europe so don't take that as reference, but I too think that you probably will not get robbed.

threat level tesco
Jul 2, 2007
Can anyone give me some advice on things to do/places to eat in Barcelona? I'm going on Friday for a week with one other person and staying in an apartment in Poble Sec. We're both early 20s but not very interested in the nightlife/clubs, more so good bars and restaurants. It's the first time either of us have been so a list of must-see things would be really helpful.

We're planning on seeing La Sagrada Familia, taking a trip up Monserrat and going to the aquarium but have nothing else planned as it's a bit of a last minute trip. Is a tour of Camp Nou worth doing for football fans? We're both into history and art but the list of galleries and museums is a bit overwhelming.

Also, will we be able to get by with a basic knowledge of Spanish?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

I've received an offer to stay at a house in Schinnen, Netherlands for three weeks in July for FREE. My family lives in the seattle area so we are looking at $3000 for air tickets, and we're trying to decide if it's a worth making the offer into a vacation. Looks like Maastricht and Aachen are like 15 minutes away, plus we could take a train to bigger cities of course.

For context we are a couple in our thirties with a baby son. Interested in seeing sights and experiencing new culture, as our nightlife days are behind us.
I'm completely ignorant of this area (Limburg area of Netherlands), and if it would make a good base of operations for exploring some cool areas for three weeks in July. Is this a good or terrible idea?

I grew up in Maastricht and it's a lovely city, really. You'll find plenty of good restaurants, markets and independent shops, but I agree with the others that you probably won't want to spend more than two-three days there. But as a base to explore the rest of Europe it's pretty good, both by car and by train. Travelling for 4 hours or so can take you to Paris, London, all over the Netherlands and Belgium etc.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Kylaer posted:

I believe Fusion in Prague has hotel rooms as well as being a hostel. Very cool and new place that's only about a 10 minute walk from Old Town.

smilehigh
Nov 2, 2010

RUUUUUNNNNNNNN

elbkaida posted:

If you are in a czech restaurant and think you can get away with it, try česnečka (garlic soup). That stuff is cool. Another thing I personally would want to try is to compare the gulash in Hungary vs. that from the Czech republic. It's a staple food in both countries and I want to know who does it better

There is a restaurant outside Kutna Hora that does incredible garlic soup, but I can't remember it's name.

In my opinion the Hungarian goulash is much better than the Czech one :p but they are markedly different.

Seconding doing the walking tours. They are really great for giving you a taste of the city and gives you an idea of what places you want to come back and explore more, and what you can skip.

Prague is totally safe and not full of pickpockets. Don't put stuff in your back pocket and you should be fine.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I appreciate all of the input and recommendations. I've booked my lodging in both cities (Czech Inn in Prague, Penthouse Privates in Budapest), the only thing that I can still book in advance is how to get from one city to the other. Taking a train was my original thought and I'm still considering it, but based on the recommendations here I've looked at the StudentAgency bus, which is cheap and looks nice enough, and I guess I'll get the same opportunity to look out the windows at the countryside as I'd have on the train. My biggest concern is legroom, I was able to find one picture of the bus seats through an image search but I can't tell how miserable seven hours in one will be. I'd be able to walk around more in the train, too, I think.

Or I could fly, of course, but I hate flying too, and taking the scenic route is kind of a goal in and of itself. Can't take any worthwhile pictures out the window of a plane :v:

I will definitely take a walking tour in each place, thank you.

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib
So, sorry in advance for a long post. I have a few pretty broad questions, and a few more specific ones. This thread has been very informative already!

I'm going to Vienna for a week in July, for a conference at the university. I've spent a fair amount of time in Spain, and some in France and Italy, but this will be my first time on the other side of Europe, so I'm planning to stretch things into a longer trip. I have some friends from Hungary, who will be at the same conference, so going with them to Budapest afterward is pretty much a given. Otherwise, my options are pretty open. After asking around and spending some time on Google/Wikitravel/other places, I've come up with the following rough plan:

- Fly into Berlin, around July 7
- Leave the morning of the 11th or 12th for Bamberg
- Get to Vienna sometime on the 13th
- Leave for Budapest on the 19th, with a detour to Graz for the day
- Leave for Sarajevo on the 23rd
- Fly back to the US on the 26th

The Vienna and Budapest legs are set, although the timing is a little variable- I'm not sure exactly what parts of the conference I'll want to go to, and I could spend a bit more or less time with my friends in Budapest. Similarly, I've heard enough wonderful things about Berlin that I'm fairly set on starting the trip there. Not sure what an appropriate amount of time there would be, though. I'm trying not to rush things.

As for the other sections, I thought it would be interesting to stop somewhere that isn't a huge city, and a friend suggested Bamberg, Regensburg, and/or Passau as worthwhile stops between Berlin and Vienna. After a bit of reading, I thought Bamberg stood out a bit more than the others, although I might be able to stop in Passau for a day on the way to Vienna too. Has anyone been to any of these towns, or places like them? I guess I'm looking for some sort of medieval village vibe, I don't know exactly. I'm also a little worried about the language barrier here- I'm working on German lessons on Duolingo before the trip, but I doubt I'll be particularly competent by then, and Spanish won't get me very far. Should I expect to find a lot of English speakers here?

I have enough time/money after Budapest for one major stop, or maybe two shorter ones. Sarajevo looks reasonably close, and interesting and different from my earlier stops, but I really know very little about it. People have also suggested Trieste, the Croatian coast towns, and Belgrade. Any experiences, suggestions, warnings about any of these? Cool historical things and pretty vistas are great, especially if I can bike around and see them; I don't object to moderate hikes either, if there's nature to see. I'm not a big nightclub person, coffee shops and pubs are more my scene. I like to try to find things off the beaten path. Again, though, I worry slightly about getting by on only English and minimal German.

More specific questions: on travel between these places. I'd rather take trains than buses/planes, especially if there's nice scenery along the way, but price can convince me otherwise. It looks not horribly unreasonable to do Berlin-Bamberg-Vienna by train, and the latter leg seems to go through Nuremberg, so maybe I could stop there for the day. Is there a major German bus line that I should check too? Travel to and around Budapest is taken care of, but I don't know about the last leg. (My friend mentioned that the Budapest-Sarajevo route is a little tricky.)

So, I guess I'm asking all of you (who have been so helpful elsewhere in this thread) if you have any opinions about this half-plan, or any recommendations for things to do, places to eat at, bars to drink at along the way. Help a confused soon-to-be tourist? Thanks!

Edit- this long, and I forgot to even mention hotels/hostels. We'll be AirBnB'ing in Vienna, and I'll be staying with friends in Budapest. I figure it makes sense to find a hostel in Berlin- any suggestions? For Bamberg and Sarajevo, or alternatives, should I expect to find a decent hostel or AirBnB/couchsurfing host?

Handsome Rob fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 12, 2014

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
That plan sounds pretty good. I would leave the end open and see how long you are in Budapest and figure it out then. You don't need to be worried about language, you'll get your tourist things done everywhere.

Other interesting stops on the way to Vienna could be Erfurt or Salzburg.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Also, if you to go to Trieste (Friuli) be advised that there is no train service between Italy and Slovenia. I believe there is a way to get to Ljubljana, for example, but it involves multiple modes of transport.

I'd hope/guess that there are buses that would take you from Italy to Croatia in the general direction of Sarajevo.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

WaryWarren posted:

Also, if you to go to Trieste (Friuli) be advised that there is no train service between Italy and Slovenia. I believe there is a way to get to Ljubljana, for example, but it involves multiple modes of transport.

I'd hope/guess that there are buses that would take you from Italy to Croatia in the general direction of Sarajevo.

Also it's a nightmare to get from Ljubljana to Budapest. There was a whole thing earlier in this thread about it; it's about a four hour drive, but it's literally 10 hours by bus, and like 12 by train with 3 changes. I don't even know how it's possible it's this miserable, but it is, somehow. Renting a car is unfortunately probably not a feasible option since you're doing a one-way across countries, which would probably result in a €200 to €500 one-way fee.

If you're going to Sarajevo, it probably makes more sense to go to the coast down by Split or Dubrovnik, or not make it that far and just go to Mostar. Trieste is cool but pretty out of your way and will be less impressive if you've just come from Vienna. If you do go there anyway, Piran on the Slovenian coast is beautiful.

In my experience a lot of Hungarians only speak German (plus some incomprehensible language), while everywhere else people will speak English too. In any case the whole pantomime game works in any language.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
According to SBB ( http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en ) there is a direct train starting every morning at 6:35 from Ljubliana to Budapest, going past Zagreb and Balaton. It seems to stop at every stupid town and is probably driving at the typical Eastern Europe rail speed of 50km/h so it takes 10 hours, but you do get there, and you could even take a break at Balaton, it seems to be a pretty nice place.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer

WaryWarren posted:

There's a Slovenian shuttle van company that picks up people in Venice or Trieste and drives them to Ljubljana. You just have to give them the approximate time you want to be picked up, and they'll work with it. You may have to wait for them (or they may have to wait for you), but I always found it to be the most convenient way to get from Venice/Trieste airport to Ljubljana, and the price is about 20 euro one-way.

http://www.goopti.com/index.php?lang=en is the company, I think.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

In June me and my girlfriend are flying one-way from New York to London, and it seems like all the cheap direct flights go through Iceland. Like, the cheapest flight is $450 with a stopover, the cheapest direct flight is $1500.

So we figure we may as well stop over for a few days, rent a car, see some things. (I assume this is the idea Iceland's tourism bureau had when they cut a deal with all the airlines, so, mission accomplished.) What's the must-see stuff in Iceland?

Paper Clip Death
Feb 4, 2010

A hero in the anals of Trivia.

Handsome Rob posted:

Sarajevo looks reasonably close, and interesting and different from my earlier stops, but I really know very little about it. People have also suggested Trieste, the Croatian coast towns, and Belgrade. Any experiences, suggestions, warnings about any of these? Cool historical things and pretty vistas are great, especially if I can bike around and see them; I don't object to moderate hikes either, if there's nature to see. I'm not a big nightclub person, coffee shops and pubs are more my scene. I like to try to find things off the beaten path. Again, though, I worry slightly about getting by on only English and minimal German.

I went to Sarajevo, Belgrade, Split and Dubrovnik last year. Some tips and thoughts:

Not going to recommend anything especially, they were all cool in their own way. Split and especially Dubrovnik are pretty touristy.

Sarajevo

Sarajevo is nice, but pretty dilapidated - the signs of war are still visible. Some museums were closed because the government couldn't decide which department should fund them, or something. There's a very small museum about the Austro-Hungarian Empire next to the Latin Bridge, which has the gun that Gavrilo Princip used to shoot Archduke Franz Ferdinand. However, it was only one room and a bit overpriced, to be honest. The historical museum was pretty interesting - the second floor had a (permanent?) exhibit about the siege of Sarajevo. Svrzo's House is cool, it's a short walk from the Sebilj square. It's a big tradesman's house from Ottoman times - you can wander arond freely. There were maybe three other guests there.

Be sure to drink Bosnian coffee in the Turkish quarter.

Bosnia still has a lot of mines in the countryside, so do find out beforehand where you're going and stay on roads if you go biking.

There were no direct train connection to Belgrade.

Belgrade

We stayed at City Break Hostel, which was very nice. Its host, "Awesome Vladimir", was very helpful and cool.

Go to the Nikola Tesla Museum. It's not big, but make sure to get there when the English tour starts, since the guide demonstrates Tesla's inventions such as wireless electricity. Also houses Tesla's ashes.

Take an evening walk around the Kalemegdan fortress like the locals. There's a pretty large zoo next to it as well with the whole shebang. Walk along the restaurant street (can't remember the name) in the Bohemian quarter after sundown - tons of restaurants, each lit up, full of people and musicians. Incredible atmosphere.

If you go to Novi Belgrad (the other side of the river), the three southernmost bridges are apparently not open for pedestrians (we learned this the hard way). The area has its own aesthetic, very Soviet.

Tito's Mausoleum is interesting if you're a history buff, but it's a bit out of the way - there were almost no visitors though. You can buy some nice Tito souvenirs and postcards there.

The Temple of St. Sava is cool - it's the largest Orthodox temple in Europe, but like the Sagrada Familia, has been unfinished for a long time. There are apparently nice polyphonic bells every hour, but we missed them.

Novi Sad is about a 40-minute train ride away, it's a nice little town with an old fortress (Petrovaradin) that was never conquered.

Split

The entire Adriatic coast of Croatia is seriously beautiful. We took a ferry from Split to Dubrovnik, and any of the islands and towns between them looked great, like Korčula, which had a sort of mini-Dubrovnik vibe to it.

Split's old town is pretty amazing. It's built inside the walls of Roman emperor Diocletian's massive palace. You go in, and there's dozens of twisting narrow alleys. At night the seaside is quite party-orientated.

You can climb the nearby hill for some nice views of the sea and the surrounding landscape.

If I had to recommend one thing here, it would be the Frog Museum. It is the most bizarre exhibition I have ever seen. Some dude a hundred years ago decided to preserve a shitload of frogs, and placed them in various human situations in funny dioramas. Sadly, no photography allowed. It was at Kralja Tomislava 5, just north of the palace wall.

Dubrovnik

We arrived here in the evening, at which point the (really loving beautiful) old town had become a sort of nightlife hell. It was a lot more enjoyable during the day. There are a lot of tourists in the summer. It's touristy for a reason though. The old town is one of the best preserved medieval city centers in Europe.

There are several museums and sights, so if you plan on visiting them, get the Dubrovnik Card to save on entry fees. I'd recommend walking around the city on the walls, since it offers good views over the town and the coast. Also the Rector's palace for historical items.

No train connections to anywhere.

I'll gladly answer any questions!

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib
Wow, thanks for the info, everyone. This is really helpful!

Unfortunately, I can't exactly leave the last stop open, since I need to buy a ticket soon-ish to get reimbursed. I'm thinking now about scheduling the flight back out of Budapest, and making a round trip elsewhere for a few nights with my Hungarian friends. They'll have a car, which it seems will make trips around the area significantly easier. Belgrade sounds worth the trip, and it doesn't look like too bad a drive from Budapest. But this way I can play it by ear.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Handsome Rob posted:

Wow, thanks for the info, everyone. This is really helpful!

Unfortunately, I can't exactly leave the last stop open, since I need to buy a ticket soon-ish to get reimbursed. I'm thinking now about scheduling the flight back out of Budapest, and making a round trip elsewhere for a few nights with my Hungarian friends. They'll have a car, which it seems will make trips around the area significantly easier. Belgrade sounds worth the trip, and it doesn't look like too bad a drive from Budapest. But this way I can play it by ear.

Why would you go from flat boring Hungary to flat boring Serbia. Come to Transylvania, there's mountains and stuff and your Hungarian friends can shed a tear for Trianon :D

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

3peat posted:

Why would you go from flat boring Hungary to flat boring Serbia. Come to Transylvania, there's mountains and stuff and your Hungarian friends can shed a tear for Trianon :D

Speaking of which, one of my friends was just in Brasov and the old town and woods nearby look incredible.

How common is English in that part of the world, anyway?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

freebooter posted:

In June me and my girlfriend are flying one-way from New York to London, and it seems like all the cheap direct flights go through Iceland. Like, the cheapest flight is $450 with a stopover, the cheapest direct flight is $1500.

So we figure we may as well stop over for a few days, rent a car, see some things. (I assume this is the idea Iceland's tourism bureau had when they cut a deal with all the airlines, so, mission accomplished.) What's the must-see stuff in Iceland?

I'm doing something like this this summer. I have a 1 week stay in iceland, and it really doesn't feel like enough. With 3 days or something you might be able to do the golden circle, but that would be about it. Even with a week, I'm just doing an extended golden circle with some detours.
Also, Iceland is shockingly expensive, so you may not save much money, that said, it looks awesome.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Speaking of which, one of my friends was just in Brasov and the old town and woods nearby look incredible.

How common is English in that part of the world, anyway?

In cities and touristy rural areas like around Brasov and other parts of Transylvania you won't have problem finding english speakers, especially among the younger crowd. With older people you'll have more luck with German (in Transylvania) or French (in the south and east of the country). Plenty of people also speak Italian or Spanish, which are the fastest growing foreign languages here.

pomme
May 8, 2013
Does anyone have a suggestion for a website to help me find a potential travel/meet-up buddy for Europe this summer? Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
If you wanna meet a lot of buddies, sign up for Couchsurfing now, fill out your profile completely (paragraph in each section, 10+ photos), host as many people as you can before your summer trip to get positive references, then send conscientious messages to one or more hosts in every city you wanna visit. The hard work pays off https://www.couchsurfing.org/