Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel like there's a crucial element of barely-veiled misogyny that we're both missing. Oh, and racism, if we can work that in somehow.
This is the sort of fresh new sound I'm going for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXtpsvBEtb0

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

This is my favorite 3 Teeth video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNFFWQW10vw

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Holy gently caress that is a horror movie - and everything an industrial music video should be. Wow.

I don't think I've seen anything that good since Skinny Puppy's old videos. Just reality in your face.

On a lighter note, I love this new Blutengel song and Chris Pohl is super hot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDJE5TS8bdM

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 29, 2014

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

OneEightHundred posted:

Apparently Psyclon Nine's drummer and guitarist have both quit.

I was surprised that they got another album out after the whole debacle of not shipping merchandise because Nero was having a serious drug problem, and now the exact same thing is happening again and his bandmates decided it was the last straw.

My birthday week was going so fuckin' cool until this was announced. Goddamn it Nero. gently caress opiates.

unpacked robinhood posted:

I know combichrist isn't a thread favorite but his last album came out recently. I don't have an opinion yet.

e: I like it so far

Don't feel bad dude I love them and lovely aggrotech in general. I can't help it and judge myself accordingly.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Not a popular opinion, but I gotta say I'm over the whole "industrial music video made up of borrowed film clips" thing. And here's why:

I think Skinny Puppy did it as a unique thing 20 years ago with Worlock. Took Ogre days of editing on an old VHS editor (and gawd those things are tricky) and at the time it worked as a cool homage to lesser-known horror and also a statement against censorship that they were up against at the time. Also while bands like Ministry and NIN did use stock footage, they also spliced in their own filmed-scenes to make it their own.

Today I feel it's simply being lazy. Because you can do SOOOO much more in 2014 with just a computer and a local film-graduate willing to work on a budget. Sky is the limit. FX can be done on any modern computer. Actors/actresses are willing to work cheap (Free actually, but I recommend compensating people, always) and even animators will work with most low budgets. You can use online forums/craigslist/internets to pretty much find anyone skilled at doing anything in the visual arts and commission them. Again, your own imagination is the limit. This was a genre made up of alot of very creative and unique videos, and rarely today do I see much original that isn't clips from popular films edited in 20-minutes on a laptop with the bands logo at the beginning.

Fake edit; This isn't a stab at 3teeth or anyone in particular. Just a rant. If anything, I wish many of these new bands would make an original video cause their awesome music deserves something original.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

High-Functioning Flesh are pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNgp0Oa0aMs

God drat

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The mp3s are supposed to be out later today, and I so can't wait!

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

The Cleaner posted:

Not a popular opinion, but I gotta say I'm over the whole "industrial music video made up of borrowed film clips" thing. And here's why:

FLA - Mindphaser superiority :colbert:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
High-Functioning Flesh update: this poo poo is loving awesome.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Went to see VNV Nation again last night. It was at an outdoor venue in Austin in perfect weather. I have to say those shows have the most positive feel-good vibes out there. Okay seeing them outdoors in great weather was excellent.

At the same time, their new material kind of sucks. It's not bad. But it's like the goth-pop version of U2 now.

I'm officially one of the old guys who was disappointed they didn't play enough of the old stuff.

I'm not even 30.

:frog:

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Omi-Polari posted:

Went to see VNV Nation again last night. It was at an outdoor venue in Austin in perfect weather. I have to say those shows have the most positive feel-good vibes out there. Okay seeing them outdoors in great weather was excellent.

At the same time, their new material kind of sucks. It's not bad. But it's like the goth-pop version of U2 now.

I'm officially one of the old guys who was disappointed they didn't play enough of the old stuff.

I'm not even 30.

:frog:

Oh hi fellow concert buddy.

I thought their new material was lovely. They did play Chrome, which is the song that got me interested in them in the first place. If Gas Mask Man was there, maybe they would have played more old songs. Blame it on him.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ms. Happiness posted:

Oh hi fellow concert buddy.

I thought their new material was lovely. They did play Chrome, which is the song that got me interested in them in the first place. If Gas Mask Man was there, maybe they would have played more old songs. Blame it on him.
That song "Space & Time" I think actually owned live.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

The Cleaner posted:

I think Skinny Puppy did it as a unique thing 20 years ago with Worlock. Took Ogre days of editing on an old VHS editor (and gawd those things are tricky) and at the time it worked as a cool homage to lesser-known horror and also a statement against censorship that they were up against at the time. Also while bands like Ministry and NIN did use stock footage, they also spliced in their own filmed-scenes to make it their own.

Today I feel it's simply being lazy. Because you can do SOOOO much more in 2014 with just a computer and a local film-graduate willing to work on a budget. Sky is the limit. FX can be done on any modern computer. Actors/actresses are willing to work cheap (Free actually, but I recommend compensating people, always) and even animators will work with most low budgets. You can use online forums/craigslist/internets to pretty much find anyone skilled at doing anything in the visual arts and commission them. Again, your own imagination is the limit. This was a genre made up of alot of very creative and unique videos, and rarely today do I see much original that isn't clips from popular films edited in 20-minutes on a laptop with the bands logo at the beginning.

Fake edit; This isn't a stab at 3teeth or anyone in particular. Just a rant. If anything, I wish many of these new bands would make an original video cause their awesome music deserves something original.

I completely agree with this. Also if you do end up using footage you didn't shoot please don't rip off poo poo you don't have rights to. It's the same as if someone ripped off your music and put it in their video or game. There's royalty free content out there but in the end you're better off shooting your own poo poo or hiring someone to do it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm pissed that VNV skipped Philly on this tour. What the gently caress, Ronan. :mad:

At least i'll be seeing Rasputina in 10 days. (not EBM/Industrial but gently caress you Rasputina owns)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Silhouette posted:

I'm pissed that VNV skipped Philly on this tour. What the gently caress, Ronan. :mad:

Come to the Indianapolis area! 13th largest city in the nation but nobody plays here. Everybody will just drive six hours round trip up to Chicago, right? Or eight, if you live in Bloomington.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Figure this is the best place to ask this but I have a question about Chu Ishikawa.* He was a regular composer for Takashi Miike's various action/comedy movies in the nineties. Except for a particular one titled Full Metal Yakuza. The music credit for this movie goes to "Sound Kid's Corp." However, it sounds basically exactly like a Chu Ishikawa soundtrack.

So who is Sound Kid's Corp.? When I look around for information on them, even on Japanese websites I learn that these are the only things they ever did music/sound design on:
King's Field (1994)
King's Field 2 (1995, both of these are old Playstation 1 adventure games)
Full Metal Yakuza (1997, directed by Takashi Miike)
Burnout (2001, a racing game for the PS2, XBox and Gamecube)

So I guess what I'm asking, is did Chu Ishikawa slum it briefly in the mid nineties via this Sound Kid's Corp group? Was Sound Kid's Corp. just some people who were big fans of his stuff? It seems like a weird stylistic intersection and a weird gap between work for "Sound Kid's Corp."

As an example this movie Chu Ishikawa scored is from 1989 but its music is literally 90sdungeoncrawlervideogame.wav http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z10AlFDQfY

Listen to this track he did for Tokyo Fist in 1995: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAQyFq5Xdo8 , slow it down a bit and... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDapXvnjAhI

Am I drawing at straws with this?

*For anyone not familiar, basically he was an industrial composer throughout the mid-nineties in Japan. He also does various film soundtracks to this day (mostly for Takashi Miike and Shinya Tsukamoto). The two groups he founded/did the most with are Der Eisenfost and Zeitlich Vergelter

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Come to the Indianapolis area! 13th largest city in the nation but nobody plays here. Everybody will just drive six hours round trip up to Chicago, right? Or eight, if you live in Bloomington.

Welcome to Finland, never ever see your favorite bands live because haha you think bands want to play for ten people in one of the most expensive countries in the world?

Pope Guilty posted:

Also yes

gently caress yes

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 1, 2014

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Welcome to Finland, never ever see your favorite bands live because haha you think bands want to play for ten people in one of the most expensive countries in the world?

It's more like, you think Finnish promoters want to book artists to come play for ten people? Artists are generally down to play wherever a promoter brings them.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Twiin posted:

It's more like, you think Finnish promoters want to book artists to come play for ten people? Artists are generally down to play wherever a promoter brings them.

Oh yeah, excellent point, sorry :)

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Pope Guilty posted:

Owns all the bones. :toot:

I'm on a drum and drone kick right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48V3JxqdbGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3vyZiZCj0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpmAD4gcLMo :stare:

e: thanks to google's super advanced ad technology, I get pantene commercials before all of these.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 2, 2014

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

ah wrong thread

vvvv

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 2, 2014

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

magiccarpet posted:

Well now I've gone and started buying pedals for my synths like a real loving idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WXMEzgCv6g

I can't remember if it was you I was showing this to in the synthesizers ML thread, but the following is my Zvex Instant Lowfi, and, I poo poo you not, a Microkorg

http://tindeck.com/listen/icli

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

The Cleaner posted:

I don't like the idea that "real art" has to be hard. You get the same arguments out of classic/prog rock enthusiasts who poo-pooh electronic music in general.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

SacrificialGoat posted:

I don't like the idea that "real art" has to be hard. You get the same arguments out of classic/prog rock enthusiasts who poo-pooh electronic music in general.

I never said anything at all about "real art has to be hard".

The entire post was promoting and encouraging how easy it is nowadays to create original video footage compared to 30 years ago.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

The Cleaner posted:

I never said anything at all about "real art has to be hard".

The entire post was promoting and encouraging how easy it is nowadays to create original video footage compared to 30 years ago.

Also, real art does have to be hard. It requires either originality or technical competence and craft. Neither of which are easy.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

Also, real art does have to be hard. It requires either originality or technical competence and craft. Neither of which are easy.

I'll agree that the technical competence and craft side is hard - and should be, because wanting and striving to learn your craft is the bit where you show dedication to your art - but for some lucky people being original and visionary comes easily. Or at least seems to come.

edit: The idea of "technical competence" is pretty fuzzy, though. What if someone's art isn't on some kind of vague "standard" level of technical competence, but sounds and looks and feels exactly like they wanted it to? I do agree that it often requires some skill in your craft to be able to get the kind of results you want, but it's not always necessary. Lots of great things have been made by accident.

I definitely think someone like Wesley Willis was absolutely an artist and whatever he made was most certainly art, even though his stuff was probably never on a level a random passer-by would call "technically competent". But it was as real as art gets, and authentic as all hell. Maybe being schizophrenic was both the easy and the hard part of making art for him - hard in that hey, dude had loving schizophrenia, but easy in that originality was second nature to him.

edit2: I'm also hesitant to call anyone's art "not-art" if it's something that comes out of their hearts and they're truly putting everything they've got into it. It might be terrible (see: many of the webcomics in the terrible webcomics thread in GBS), sure, but it can still be art. Who are we to say someone's creation isn't art if they see it as art themselves?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 3, 2014

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's probably already been mentioned multiple times in here but I've noticed a lot of this dark industrial dance music tends to share a fair whack of common ground with techno (which to most people is a bad word it seems). I grew up on metal and industrial and then branched out into mostly electronic stuff (I blame having an older sister who in the 80s played nothing but synthy pop tunes on her stereo) so I've heard an awful lot of stuff, a lot of it not that great but some stuff is gold.

I never gave this album time on release at the back end of last year, I kept meaning to get around to picking it up but I never did. Recently a friend gave me his CD copy (which looks lush) because he's a vinyl nerd and I've had it playing on rotation for the past 3 weeks. As I mentioned I used to listen to some industrial dance stuff so I was pleasantly surprised by what I heard from this typically 'techno' producer.

Gessafelstein - Aleph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB8Ci7X5HUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_NgkfRmUPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM9rRMJ3Ayc

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Pursuit was one of the best music videos of last year and the album is absolutely stellar.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

edit2: I'm also hesitant to call anyone's art "not-art" if it's something that comes out of their hearts and they're truly putting everything they've got into it. It might be terrible (see: many of the webcomics in the terrible webcomics thread in GBS), sure, but it can still be art. Who are we to say someone's creation isn't art if they see it as art themselves?

I've always thought that art is best thought of as an interaction between the viewer and the object, be it image/video/performance/whatever, rather than an intrinsic property and I'd argue therefore others aren't in a position to deny what constitutes art to another. I think the real shame is that not enough industrial bands release videos fullstop.

Can someone list the videos made up of borrowed film clips? I actually can't think of that many.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Nine Inch Nails on Austin City Limits:

Austin City Limits Interview with Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails
Sanctified

More on their channel: http://vimeo.com/austincitylimits

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spamman posted:

Pursuit was one of the best music videos of last year and the album is absolutely stellar.

Agreed, Pursuit is an absolute bomb but it took a while before the album became brilliant in my eyes.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Once again, the conservative "didn't have the cash to renew my passport" portfolio pays off for the broke investor -- Kinetik is cancelled :(

quote:

Hi Everyone,

There has been a complicated and unplanned situation involving Kinetik Production that as of this week has become insurmountable. Unfortunately because of the confidential nature of the case, it’s impossible to go into details, but you need to know that we are now facing issues that have a major effect on the continuation of the Kinetik Festival. After consulting council and looking at all possible options, we sadly have to close down Kinetik Productions and put an end to the Kinetik Festival.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Full quote:

quote:

Hi Everyone,

There has been a complicated and unplanned situation involving Kinetik Production that as of this week has become insurmountable. Unfortunately because of the confidential nature of the case, it’s impossible to go into details, but you need to know that we are now facing issues that have a major effect on the continuation of the Kinetik Festival. After consulting council and looking at all possible options, we sadly have to close down Kinetik Productions and put an end to the Kinetik Festival.

For everyone that knows me more personally, you know that the Kinetik Festival has been my ‘’life’’ for more than 8 years and it is with no small consideration or regret that I put an end to this project. But with the threat of the ongoing issue, it was now more than possible that the 7.0 couldn't happen next May. We are aware of the effect this could have on people traveling to the festival and on all the fans that will not be able to see the bands that were booked for Kinetik 7.0, but we want to ensure that we are capable of issuing refunds on all the online tickets purchases, so our only option was canceling Kinetik now. We are not a ''big'' productions company like in mainstream music; being a non profit company, the one and only event that we produce is the Kinetik Festival, and tickets sales have always been the only source of income. We hope you will understand that this was the best and only way to get out of this terrible situation, while still being able to refund everyone in the shortest period possible.

This ongoing situation has nothing to do with the Toronto venue and or with the Kinetik Festival partners that have shown nothing but full support for the festival. We are also presently working with some partners in Toronto so some of the shows (the ones that were part of tours) still happen and that Toronto fans still have a chance to see those excellent bands. We will post more about this as soon we have more information about it.

Refunds will start today, going backward month by month, since paypal offers full refunds on the newest transactions. When we are at the transactions not covered by the paypal full refund, we will contact you so you can confirm that we can issue refunds on the original transaction via your original transaction record. We will post updates here on the Facebook page to inform you where we are up to with the refunds. Be sure to look in your inbox for an email from ''sales@festival-kinetik.net'' to be sure to receive your refund.

Once again, this is really not our hope for how the 7.0 edition would turn out, and we hope that you will understand that this action is a last recourse after considering many options.

It goes without saying, but I wonder what happened. I'm not really disappointed per se because I wouldn't be surprised if many of the bands I wanted to see will end up playing here anyway, and probably for a lot cheaper and at better venues. I just feel really bad for the organisers.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
I hadn't been paying attention to the lineup once I decided I wasn't going to be able to go, goddamn is that a lot of bands I want to see. Including our own Volt9000! That really sucks.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Antigen Shift is one of our own too I think. Sometimes is, sometimes isn't?

I really hope Malhavoc plays anyway. I think it would be awesome/hilarious to see.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I have it on good authority that Volt 9000 WILL still be playing *a show in Toronto that weekend!

* A show may mean anything from headlining at the Rogers Center, to busking in their underwear on the corner of Queen and Spadina with a Monotron.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

teethgrinder posted:

Antigen Shift is one of our own too I think. Sometimes is, sometimes isn't?

Is! At least the half of Antigen Shift that is me.

The Cleaner posted:

I have it on good authority that Volt 9000 WILL still be playing *a show in Toronto that weekend!

I think possibly I will be the one booking that show!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ah, wasn't sure if you were a permanent member.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Peter Murphy is looking to release a DVD via PledgeMusic (like kickstarter).

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/petermurphy

quote:

UNLOCK A WINDOW INTO MR. MOONLIGHT….

PRE-ORDER my upcoming ‘35 Years of Bauhaus’ DVD and get exclusive access to a series of FREE EXTRAS like exclusive interview footage, unique unseen photos and much more.

Back in July 2013 I was fortunate enough to experience one of the most amazing nights of my career at The Fonda Theatre in Los Angeles. It was a splendid night and as a result we have decided to release it as a special live DVD.

Working with PledgeMusic gives me the chance to make available alternative and interesting offers while allowing me to fill the experience with extra content for you in the ‘Updates’ page above. More on this to come….

This is also the first place you can buy my new album ‘Lion’ alongside the DVD. As well as vinyl, signed product, lyric sheets, sets lists and even one of the microphones I used during the recording my new album.

Thank you for being part of this!

~Peter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Maybe he was drinking and driving again. Whatever it takes to get more live-anything out of him.

Peter Murphy posted:

"If you call me 'dark,' I'll kick you out,"
"Why are you looking at me through a loving cell phone?"
:allears: