Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

KFC, anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

KFC, anyone?

Ahahaha! Do they sleep out there at night? Do you move the buckets with them inside? Or is that the daytime brooding place? Great pic! :D

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Chido posted:

KFC, anyone?

Aaaaaaa I love this!! Seconding what Inveigle asked: is this bucket setup moved indoors at night or are there buckets inside?

If there are buckets inside, is it difficult to get to broodies in at night?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Gat drat, those bucket chickens are cracking me up.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

The buckets are inside the coop, I just opened the big doors and pushed back the roof. This is my coop :3: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/resin-chicken-coop

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Chido posted:

The buckets are inside the coop, I just opened the big doors and pushed back the roof. This is my coop :3: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/resin-chicken-coop

That's a very nice coop.

And bucket chickens are the best chickens. :kimchi:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
My idiots have finally figured out the nipples. It's pretty funny watching them peck the poo poo out of them and getting blasted with water and looking very indignant about the whole process.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Yay coops! Yours is lovely Chido :3: We actually started building ours today even though we got a couple brief bouts of snow in the morning. The sun came out by the afternoon, but I wish it was a little warmer than 40! We got all the framing done, and roof and shingles on! All that is left to do is put on the doors, windows, siding, and build the nesting boxes!

Close-up before the roof is on:

Picture from our deck to see the shingles..sort of:

My father-in-law bought me a circular saw for my birthday and I got to cut all the wood for the coop :3:

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
Some chickens I encountered in the parking lot of an amusement park in New Zealand. (A farm was next door...)

THIS cheeky fellow was quite persistent in trying to beg for treats from me and others. He eventually resorted to pecking at pant cuffs for attention.

In addition to chickens, cows, and sheep, they were raising these fellows!

This is a Pukeko, a funny blue-ish bird. Notable for being quite a pest in gardens, as one story I heard about them was one was carefully eating the seeds behind some poor schmuck planting. (He showed up outside a hotel one morning.)

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Haha, NZ birds are funny-looking!

Pip, I love your itty bitty bantam chickies! :3 If Tractor Supply hadn't had a 6-chick minimum on them I would have brought some home myself... instead I have to comfort myself with the 3 I already have.

They've GROWN, too. Chicken time-lapse of the last three weeks, incoming! (HUGE photos, sorry!)

From their arrival at 5 days old:

To exploring the rug outside their new home:

Growing in feathers:

Their first trip outside, on April 1~

(They got tired of the wind, and curled up in my husband's arms! :3: )

Two days ago!

I can not get enough of these crazy little birds.

And the sad state of my coop.

I'm trying to get it put together but I have no tolerance for cold and even less for cold/wet, and this spring has been nothing but cold and wet, at least on my days off... *flail*

Gonna have to bite the bullet and finish it soon, or I'm in trouble!

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 7, 2014

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Anyone have any experience with a wheezy hen?

Dora is an ex-battery hen and we got her 25 months ago. She was tiny, only weighing 3lb (1.44kg) but with care and attention she now weighs 4.5lb (just over 2kg, the standard weight for an ISA Brown). She suffered with a daily asthma attack for weeks after we got her in December 2011; we'd bring her in to the kitchen every day to get her breathing stabilised (which would take best part of an hour and then she'd sleep for a while, being totally worn out).

Fast forward to last Saturday and Dora has her first attack in well over a year. We brought her in as we did before, but the wheezing doesn't stop, hour after hour and day after day. Doesn't help that the top hen, Pip, goes after her when she wheezes, making her even more stressed (and so, worse wheezing). An emergency trip to the vets last Monday, he gives a Colvasone steroid injection and prescribes 1ml of Baytril twice a day for 2 weeks as well. We had a long discussion of asthma & treatment in parrots, which he had treated in the past, but it was his first wheezing chicken he'd seen.

The other thing the vet did was write us a prescription for anti fungal capsules which we picked up at the chemist just down the road (it actually says "Dora Chicken" on the label :) ), but they're tiny, hard balls in the capsules that don't dissolve and get stuck in the syringe when we tried adding it to the liquid. For five days we had to crop feed the medicine to Dora, as she had no appetite or drank at all, with some Vetark Critical Care Formula, even though that also got her further stressed and made her breathing worse, but her appetite is slowly coming back. She has been snaffling live meal worms, fresh corn on the cob and grass when she wanders out into the garden for a while.

It didn't help the UK had its worst air quality that weekend she was taken ill, maybe that had something to do with it, I don't know, but this is the first lung ilness for Dora that hasn't sorted itself out in a couple of hours.

tl;dr wheezy ex-battery hen, prone to asthma attacks. Treated with antibiotics, Vermex worming powder, steroid injection. Have (human) anti-fungal medicine to try once she's eating properly. Anything else we can try?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Do they sell this, or anything similar, where you live? http://www.jefferspet.com/vetrx-poultry/camid/liv/cp/16803/

It's basically Vick Vaporub for birds. It doesn't really cure them, but it helps soothe and clear the air passages. It might help her :(

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chido posted:

Do they sell this, or anything similar, where you live? http://www.jefferspet.com/vetrx-poultry/camid/liv/cp/16803/

It's basically Vick Vaporub for birds. It doesn't really cure them, but it helps soothe and clear the air passages. It might help her :(

Thank you, Chido. Will look for it in the UK.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

They seem to have it for dogs and rabbits in the amazon uk store. The ingredients seem to be the same, so I don't know if they are any different. http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...aps%2Ck%3Avetrx

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

This was posted in the PYF cute thread

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dog no! Dog noooooo-oh. :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Labradors/retrievers have very "soft" mouths and can handle very delicate objects (like poultry) easily without harming/crushing them. One reason why these types of dogs are good for hunting and retreiving prey.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 8, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Inveigle posted:

Labradors/retrievers have very "soft" mouths and can handle very delicate objects (like poultry) easily without harming/crushing them. One reason why these types of dogs are good for hunting and retreiving prey.

Yes, they are one of the few dog breeds I would trust to be nice with chickens :3: They are very gentle dogs.

My parents apparently used to have a little Scottie who really loved ducklings that lived at a pond near to where they lived. He would pick them up in his mouth and happily "return" them to his masters. The ducklings were always very slobbery but perfectly unscathed and overall didn't seem too upset by their journey!

This same dog also had a habit of provoking snakes so he could chase them, though, which miraculously never actually ended in disaster given the number of poisonous snakes in the Australian bush.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

fork bomb posted:

This was posted in the PYF cute thread

Reminds me of this classic Merrie Melodies cartoon:

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

My parents apparently used to have a little Scottie who really loved ducklings that lived at a pond near to where they lived. He would pick them up in his mouth and happily "return" them to his masters. The ducklings were always very slobbery but perfectly unscathed and overall didn't seem too upset by their journey!

This same dog also had a habit of provoking snakes so he could chase them, though, which miraculously never actually ended in disaster given the number of poisonous snakes in the Australian bush.

This is the same experience I've had with my Scottie. They are a royal pain to other dogs and vermin. I can't take mine off a leash at night without him going to ground. Prey instinct is incredibly strong, yet with chicks, babies, puppies, etc... He's a perfect gentleman. I don't get it, but I'm grateful for it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Usually I just look for terrible art on deviantART. But today I found this!

deviantART posted:

Moa, a Barred Plymouth Rock and also the boss hen of my flock, is tremendous in her girth. At times she is truly large beyond imagination, and is seen here emerging from the ocean. Don't be jealous of her thunderous thighs!

The gulls are in no danger. She is too rotund to give chase.

Corel Painter, acrylic brush.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

What kind of wonky ostrich is this?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Whatever she is she's sprouting little yellow T-rex arms. Soon the transformation will be complete!

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Usually I just look for terrible art on deviantART. But today I found this!

I follow Nambroth on DA and Tumblr :3 She uploads her chicken photos on tumblr!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ayin posted:

I follow Nambroth on DA and Tumblr :3 She uploads her chicken photos on tumblr!

Haha. She posted this adorable photo of her Barred Rock named "Chickadee." (The same chicken that is in that painting.) What a a cute, elaborate doodad she has on her head! It's going in ALL directions! :D

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Inveigle posted:

Haha. She posted this adorable photo of her Barred Rock named "Chickadee." (The same chicken that is in that painting.) What a a cute, elaborate doodad she has on her head! It's going in ALL directions! :D

She named one of her chickens Derperalla... thats a drat fine name for a chicken. Sums it up nicely.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

spookygonk posted:

tl;dr wheezy ex-battery hen, prone to asthma attacks. Treated with antibiotics, Vermex worming powder, steroid injection. Have (human) anti-fungal medicine to try once she's eating properly. Anything else we can try?

We lost Dora this evening. She hadn't eaten or had water by herself for 10 days (we'd been crop feeding her all this time), and her wheezing had taken on a forced wet rattle. She had no energy to get up this afternoon (from her cushion in the kitchen), although she did have a slow dust bath this morning. Booked an emergency (and very local) vet this evening for another steroid injection, strangely her weight had gone up (thinking about it, most likely due to fluid build up in her lungs). We got her home but she was having great difficulty catching her breath. Then there was no breathing at all and she died in my arms.

Two years, three months and eleven days since rehoming. Good innings, little hen.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 9, 2014

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Hey chicken crazies, a member of my sister's flock is sick, and she could use some advice:

quote:

Saw her today. She was walking like she hurt so I went to her. Didn't try to move away. Back part of her belly is huge (tight like water ballon. Looks dark colored). She's staying upright ok and clucking quietly but very listless.

Lots of poop on. She liked the warm soak. Slept a little in it.

She lets me handle her though. Wasn't acting like touching her belly hurt, I think it's just in the way

She apparently can't breathe well and has issues with the back end. My sister gave her a warm soak to clean her up, which seemed to help.

I didn't know if she is egg bound or what the symptoms of coccidiosis were. Also, I could use that pedialyte chicken elixir recipe that velvet sparrow uses if anyone has it handy.

I just want to help the chooks :(

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Errant Gin Monks posted:

She named one of her chickens Derperalla... thats a drat fine name for a chicken. Sums it up nicely.

Oh yes, I've heard of Derperella, the Salmon Faverolles who was extremely ill and nursed back to health.

aww Spookygonk, so sorry for your loss. Jeez :sympathy:

jenelle
Mar 3, 2007
If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.
So sorry to hear about Dora, at least she got one last dust bath in. I'm always sad to hear about one of the chickens here passing on. You were good to her & gave her a lifestyle not many battery hens can look forward to.

DarkHorse posted:

Hey chicken crazies, a member of my sister's flock is sick, and she could use some advice:

She apparently can't breathe well and has issues with the back end. My sister gave her a warm soak to clean her up, which seemed to help.

I didn't know if she is egg bound or what the symptoms of coccidiosis were. Also, I could use that pedialyte chicken elixir recipe that velvet sparrow uses if anyone has it handy.

Is she still laying? Does her poop look yellowish? It sounds like internal laying or ascites to me: http://www.avianweb.com/eggyolkperitonitis.html

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Sorry about your hen spookygonk, but she was given a great second life byyou and lived it up for those years.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

jenelle posted:

Is she still laying? Does her poop look yellowish? It sounds like internal laying or ascites to me: http://www.avianweb.com/eggyolkperitonitis.html
Yes, it does sound like (sterile) egg peritonitis

quote:

Treatment
Initially the treatment of antibiotics, normally amoxicillin to stop the infection progressing. If peritonitis causes minor swelling, often the antibiotics and a few days on metacam pain killer/anti-inflamatory is enough, along with a mixed corn diet and treats (no laying formulas like mash or pellets) for at least 8 weeks, preferably the rest of their life.
In the large swelling cases which is the most commonly noticed. They will need the fluid drained off their abdomen along with antibiotic treatment. This isn't an overly expensive proceedure, and will secure a happy future for your hen giving her back her quality of life.

When it can't be fixed (below are uncommon)
- If peritonitis is caused by another source of infection such as perferated bowel usually due to eating sharp object. Often black or green fluid is withdrawn from abdomen. Causes death very quickly.
- If peritonitis is caused by cancer - Often clear fluid
- If yolk binds the bowel hen will be very ill and die within 3 days roughly.
From here.

We had a hen that caught this, had her drained and put on diuretics and antibiotics. It helped immensely (then there were complications and she had to have a salpingectomy to remove all the solidified egg residue in her. That was also a success).

Joanna
Jul 16, 2013

spookygonk posted:

We got her home but she was having great difficulty catching her breath. Then there was no breathing at all and she died in my arms.

Two years, three months and eleven days since rehoming. Good innings, little hen.
So sorry to hear of her passing. You really did absolutely everything in your power, and gave her a good new lease on life. Best of all, she died safely in your arms. Still... the loss of an animal can't be easy no matter the circumstances.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Left my chickens outside in their coop for the first time last night, a house cat came through and killed my Weedcat. It didn't get into the coop.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

spookygonk posted:

We lost Dora this evening. She hadn't eaten or had water by herself for 10 days (we'd been crop feeding her all this time), and her wheezing had taken on a forced wet rattle. She had no energy to get up this afternoon (from her cushion in the kitchen), although she did have a slow dust bath this morning. Booked an emergency (and very local) vet this evening for another steroid injection, strangely her weight had gone up (thinking about it, most likely due to fluid build up in her lungs). We got her home but she was having great difficulty catching her breath. Then there was no breathing at all and she died in my arms.

So sorry to hear about Dora. You gave her so much care and love. She was lucky to have had you for the second half of her life. :sympathy:

How are the other rescue hens doing?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shifty Nipples posted:

Left my chickens outside in their coop for the first time last night, a house cat came through and killed my Weedcat. It didn't get into the coop.

Aww I'm sorry. How did it get the chicken? I was nervous as hell for he first few weeks mine were outside, I have never left an animal outside before.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

DarkHorse posted:

Egg-bound hens are very distinctive and have a very upright, penguin-like stance, and strain to lay every few seconds. Eggs laid internally are a different issue, though.

Difficulty breathing can sometimes be caused by internal pressure on her breathing apparatus from the swelling. Check her for signs of Ascites, or 'water belly' (halfway down the page):
http://jackshenhouse.com/Illness.htm

Also, here is the homemade electrolyte recipe (halfway down the page, in green):
http://jackshenhouse.com/DiagnosingProblems.htm

I'd say a trip to the vet is in order!

EDIT: Dang, way too much chicken drama lately. :( Sorry about the losses.

Edit2: VVVV My money is on Ascites.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 11, 2014

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Thanks everyone! My sister had drained the bird somehow (not sure on the details) and she was doing much better, could breathe and rest and clearly not in as much distress. I haven't had an update lately, but I've passed all your advice along and will let you know what the outcome is.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
So sorry for your loss, spooky! :(

Let's alleviate some of the chicken drama with some more adorable. It's getting too sad in here.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

...the kind that grows very quickly!

I had to get up at 4am for work, so naturally I took the opportunity to wake up the chickens for a photo shoot. Top to bottom that's River, Amy, and Rose. Rose is far more feathered out than the EE girls and soooooo soft! They really enjoy their out-of-box time, but they're starting to seek out the highest point available to roost (my husband's head). :3: Being a first-time chicken mom is awesome.

DarkHorse, I hope your sister's chicken is doing better! :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Faerunner, your chicks are at the adorable gangly stage? They are so cute, thank you for sharing the pictures! :)