Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.
The Roku stick, despite being newer, is about as fast as all of the other Rokus other than the Roku 3, which is much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDCiiX48mq8

Pricey addon for Tasker, but it's interesting to see all the crazy crap it's possible to do with your TV. It shows the potential for things like the Chromecast, if nothing else

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Roku just came out with a stick, but is there another roku about to come out? I would rather drop coin on it vs fire TV due to long term support issues and openness, but I would hate to have it get here 2 days before roku 4 announced.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.

Roundboy posted:

Roku just came out with a stick, but is there another roku about to come out? I would rather drop coin on it vs fire TV due to long term support issues and openness, but I would hate to have it get here 2 days before roku 4 announced.
The Roku 3 is about a year old now, but the current Roku 1 and Roku 2 came out in September 2013. Outside of gaming, the Roku 3 stands up pretty well to the Fire TV, so I'd expect them to announce a price cut rather than a new model if they feel a need to respond to Amazon.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

baka kaba posted:

Seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDCiiX48mq8

Pricey addon for Tasker, but it's interesting to see all the crazy crap it's possible to do with your TV. It shows the potential for things like the Chromecast, if nothing else

Crazy stuff, way too custom for me but like the direction this stuff is going!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Roundboy posted:

Newegg has been selling refurb Roku3 for $69 pretty often lately. That's how I got mine, if that influences your decision.

boscoman
May 14, 2004

Eats like a meal...

teagone posted:

Get get a refurb Sero 7 LT for like $60 and leave it in your living room to use as a remote :)

Yup, this. I use my Nexus 7 with Plex on it and iRule to control my entire set up. I'm still holding out hope that someone can get Amazon streaming to be castable (is that even a word?). I ended up letting my Prime account lapse because of lack of Chromecast support and the fact that I really wasn't really spending enough in shipping to justify a $20 increase in membership cost.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Flixster has Chromecast support now. You can cast trailers and your UV collection.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

Newegg has been selling refurb Roku3 for $69 pretty often lately. That's how I got mine, if that influences your decision.

The reviews show a significant number of DOA boxes, and I'm only seeing refurbs for only $15 less, so not sure if that is worth the hassle.

I'm giving it the weekend, so Monday ill figure it all out

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Roundboy posted:

The reviews show a significant number of DOA boxes, and I'm only seeing refurbs for only $15 less, so not sure if that is worth the hassle.

I'm giving it the weekend, so Monday ill figure it all out

They ship the refurbs with dead AAs for the remote and the remote unpaired.

I'm pretty sure that's where the bad reviews come from. I almos thought mine was DOA too.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
The Verge has a scoop on Android TV, the replacement of Google TV:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/5/5584604/this-is-android-tv

In Google's dev docs they've been laying it out pretty thick that they don't intend Chromecast to be the only Google Cast receiver, so safe to assume these devices will support Google Cast.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just wonder what they will 'do' that's more than Chromecast. It's the same sort of problem the Fire TV suffers from. Why pay more just to stream the same content from the same providers?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

bull3964 posted:

I just wonder what they will 'do' that's more than Chromecast. It's the same sort of problem the Fire TV suffers from. Why pay more just to stream the same content from the same providers?

If you have cable Google TV has some nice features like adding an easy search to your guide and running regular Android applications. I think Android games on both the Fire and a better spec'd future version of GoogleTV (AndroidTV?) could become big as well.

Really the search feature is the best thing GTV has ever had going for it, whenever my favorite college team is playing I just type their name in and goto the channel, it was a long time before I knew what number ESPN actually is on Uverse.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

bull3964 posted:

Standalone operation, so my housemates can use it while I'm out. Perhaps some new control interface to go along with this?

More power, so that it can play arbitrary videos from a network share.

Richer apps of some sort, like games?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If Google can somehow get live TV on their AndroidTV STBs, that would be a significant edge over other streamer devices. There was an article last year detailing Google's plan for an internet-based live television service, but I haven't heard/read of any updates regarding that. Maybe the announcement/launch of AndroidTV will coincide with that.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The only reason why I even have a Chromecast right now is because I can cast my desktop to it. If a Google TV can work like a Roku does AND can receive casts, then that'd be even better.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

teagone posted:

If Google can somehow get live TV on their AndroidTV STBs, that would be a significant edge over other streamer devices. There was an article last year detailing Google's plan for an internet-based live television service, but I haven't heard/read of any updates regarding that. Maybe the announcement/launch of AndroidTV will coincide with that.

The hurdle(s) with any premium live over-the-top tv service will be securing content deals, which involves rights negotiations, guarantees, etc. that Google has always seemed reluctant to understand or shoulder.

OnCue (the former Intel project owned by Verizon now) and Sony's pay TV service also face the same challenges; my bet is the first real offering comes from an existing traditional paytv distributor like DISH:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-04/dish-takes-lead-in-race-to-offer-streaming-tv-to-rival-cable.html

And even though DISH has established relationships with content producers, I'm guessing it's still going to be challenging for them to wrangle enough content together to have a compelling offering in the near term.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

wooger posted:

More power, so that it can play arbitrary videos from a network share.

This will never be a priority or a selling point.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

RZA Encryption posted:

This will never be a priority or a selling point.
I understand that they wont prioritise this functionality, but really, not a selling point?

I'm at the point of considering building a new XBMC box to ensure I don't have to worry about this stuff when my boxee box dies.

Supporting arbitrary codecs should be trivial. Connecting to Samba shares is too.
Chromecast is nowhere near replicating that.

Anyway, thought of another feature for android TV: wired Ethernet.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nobody wants or knows about any of that. Especially wired Ethernet, christ

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
For all I know all the features discussed on this page were all made up in an elaborate conspiracy to make me feel like less of a nerd so I'm going to have to agree with ^

It's pretty amazing how fast your phone detects the chromecast. I use the ir blaster on my phone to turn on my tv and the instant the picture shows the cc background, the icon appears in the YouTube or netflix app. I'm still also impressed by how locally saved HD movies play through Solid Explorer (android only I think). Really liking this purchase, especially for this price.

I Am Crake fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 6, 2014

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

wooger posted:

I understand that they wont prioritise this functionality, but really, not a selling point?

I'm at the point of considering building a new XBMC box to ensure I don't have to worry about this stuff when my boxee box dies.

Supporting arbitrary codecs should be trivial. Connecting to Samba shares is too.

I'm with you on this one. The thing about Chromecast is that you still are primarily using your phone/tablet to do the heavy lifting.

I just built a new HTPC because a Roku/Chromecast wouldn't do everything I wanted it to. I wanted a central hub where all my music/movies/tv shows are stored, and easily playable to the TV and any other device from anywhere.

So I have a HTPC with hardwired ethernet, torrents set up with RSS to automatically download new episodes of the TV shows that I watch. It's plugged into HDMI to the TV and has a Samba server set up for all media files to share on my local network.

I use Yatse for android as a remote control for XBMC. Also I have installed Plex Server so that I can transcode/stream remotely.

Yes, I could have done the same thing with a Synology NAS but it was going to end up costing about the same and would be much less powerful than what I built.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The less wires and setup the better. Now that I'm older, I don't really want to have to configure a lot of poo poo; I just want to plug stuff in and have it work. I had a custom built HTPC, then I had a WDTV Live, then I had a Roku, and now I have a Chromecast. I actually have two Chromecasts since they're so cheap and do everything the HTPC/WDTV/Roku did, but now I can control everything with just my phone/tablet. The minimalist interface makes a big difference, imo. I can understand someone wanting a tangible remote though.

Brain Issues posted:

I'm with you on this one. The thing about Chromecast is that you still are primarily using your phone/tablet to do the heavy lifting.

I just built a new HTPC because a Roku/Chromecast wouldn't do everything I wanted it to. I wanted a central hub where all my music/movies/tv shows are stored, and easily playable to the TV and any other device from anywhere.

So I have a HTPC with hardwired ethernet, torrents set up with RSS to automatically download new episodes of the TV shows that I watch. It's plugged into HDMI to the TV and has a Samba server set up for all media files to share on my local network.

I use Yatse for android as a remote control for XBMC. Also I have installed Plex Server so that I can transcode/stream remotely.

Yes, I could have done the same thing with a Synology NAS but it was going to end up costing about the same and would be much less powerful than what I built.

Why don't you just install Plex Home Theater on your HTPC? Why use XBMC when you already have Plex up and running?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Does Chromecast Netflix have some ability for force HD? For some reason my Roku setup now will NOT play Netflix in HD, even though the WiFi signal is pretty good. The picture looks absolutely terrible, worse than VHS. HBO GO, on the other hand, has no issue playing full HD on my Roku. This is making me consider getting rid of the Roku and picking up the Google Dong. Also if anyone knows a fix for the Roku issue that would be nice too.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 7, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Does Chromecast Netflix have some ability for force HD? For some reason my Roku setup now will NOT play Netflix in HD, even though the WiFi signal is pretty good. The picture looks absolutely terrible, worse than VHS. HBO GO, on the other hand, has no issue playing full HD on my Roku. This is making me consider getting rid of the Roku and picking up the Google Dong. Also if anyone knows a fix for the Roku issue that would be nice too.

Do you have Comcast? I hear they throttle Netflix traffic these days to push their lovely Streampix service onto their customers.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Michael Scott posted:

How old of a roku. Roku 2 netflix starts out at low quality and then over the course of 30 seconds or so is supposed to ramp up the quality to what your bandwidth can handle.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I dunno, my janky old Roku 2 plays HD just fine after buffering SD for like half a minute or so.

Are you able to get HD when playing on any other device using the same connection? I know some of my friends are seeing their connections to Netflix being throttled by the ISP despite having like 20mbps down.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

teagone posted:

The less wires and setup the better. Now that I'm older, I don't really want to have to configure a lot of poo poo; I just want to plug stuff in and have it work. I had a custom built HTPC, then I had a WDTV Live, then I had a Roku, and now I have a Chromecast. I actually have two Chromecasts since they're so cheap and do everything the HTPC/WDTV/Roku did, but now I can control everything with just my phone/tablet. The minimalist interface makes a big difference, imo. I can understand someone wanting a tangible remote though.

Why don't you just install Plex Home Theater on your HTPC? Why use XBMC when you already have Plex up and running?

Plex Home Theater will not play nicely on Ubuntu for me. It has serious problems with DTS 5.1 audio for some reason and I have not been able to figure it out.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brain Issues posted:

Plex Home Theater will not play nicely on Ubuntu for me. It has serious problems with DTS 5.1 audio for some reason and I have not been able to figure it out.

Ahh, I had assumed you just installed Windows on your HTPC.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Glimm posted:

If you have cable Google TV has some nice features like adding an easy search to your guide and running regular Android applications.
I've given up on ever getting anything nice for cable since Comcast wants to make their own poo poo and sell it for monthly fees far beyond what these other devices cost. So they will never make their poo poo work with it and I'll never waste colossal amounts of money just to have a nicer way to watch cable TV. It makes me irrationally angry to think about things like how I can get an HD broadcast signal over the air for local channels but they took them off ClearQAM so you have to either see them in lovely compressed SD or pay easily twenty bucks more for HD service and a compatible box. I've got a big fancy TV but even their guide literally does not understand that my set top box doesn't have the HD versions and tries to tune to channels that aren't there, even after I disable them manually. This poo poo will never work together properly and that's how they want it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

1st AD posted:

Nobody wants or knows about any of that. Especially wired Ethernet, christ

When your TV is on the opposite side of your house from your router, you already have a wired Ethernet drop and switch behind there for your Xbox, boxee, appleTV etc.

WiFi works fine most of the time, but even the loving appleTV has Ethernet.

Its just a pain to *have* to use WiFi when there's a better alternative that guarantees no dropouts, interference.

Size and power usage are irrelevant for a box connected to my TV. The smallness of the current Chromecast gives me zero benefit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

wooger posted:

Have you ever owned a WDTV Live Hub? That would probably suit your needs. Chromecast and its ilk aren't really targeted at people who run a gigabit network throughout their home. I mean, I run wires and have 3 switches around my house, but that's because I'm a nerd with several PCs/Servers up and running. I still use the Chromecast over my Roku 3 because its simply more convenient.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I just set up Plex on my HTPC so that I can get 2 more Chromecasts and have one on each TV, so that I am not limited to just watching my XBMC stuff on my main TV. Streaming videos in the web browser on my Macbook Pro over wireless seems to work just fine, but when I tested out playing a 720p MKV file on the Chromecast it seemed to freeze up every 15-20 seconds, almost like it was buffering. Same file, though. What could be the cause of this? The HTPC is connected over wireless as well.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

wooger posted:

When your TV is on the opposite side of your house from your router, you already have a wired Ethernet drop and switch behind there for your Xbox, boxee, appleTV etc.

WiFi works fine most of the time, but even the loving appleTV has Ethernet.

Its just a pain to *have* to use WiFi when there's a better alternative that guarantees no dropouts, interference.

Size and power usage are irrelevant for a box connected to my TV. The smallness of the current Chromecast gives me zero benefit.

Drop an extender on the other end of the Ethernet.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bought a Chromecast for $34.99 last week, but now this week it's on sale there for $29.99.

If I take my receipt to Best Buy, will they refund me the difference?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

EugeneJ posted:

Bought a Chromecast for $34.99 last week, but now this week it's on sale there for $29.99.

If I take my receipt to Best Buy, will they refund me the difference?

Yes, Best Buy has a 15 day price match policy

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gariig posted:

Yes, Best Buy has a 15 day price match policy

Awesome. Gonna pick up another one while I'm there!

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

havenwaters posted:

How old of a roku. Roku 2 netflix starts out at low quality and then over the course of 30 seconds or so is supposed to ramp up the quality to what your bandwidth can handle.

Roku 2 XD. It stays horrible quality for usually the entire length of the program, I've waited at least 10 minutes before and it's stayed lovely.

I do have Comcast, but Netflix on my computer works great in super HD, so I opt to watch stuff on my computer instead of the TV which is not as enjoyable, but I can't stand the low-quality issue.

It really is a conundrum, since HBO GO on Roku works fine for me in almost immediate HD.

e: I also tried the hidden force-quality option on Roku and but it doesn't listen to my selection and stays super lovely.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I have now ditched my HTPC, attached my external storage drives to my wife's iMac running Plex, and have upped my collection to 3 Chromecasts so our library is available on any TV in the house. My HTPC was aging and couldn't transcode without buffering so it was time to retire it to other duties after 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any suggestions on getting CEC to work on a Sony KDL-32R400A 32" television?

I've enabled Bravia Sync. It sees the Chromecast and lists it as a recognized device...but when I cast something while watching a tv channel or with the tv off...nothing happens. The Chromecast is plugged into a wall outlet.

My older Sony TV was easier to setup and worked right away, so this has me confused.

• Locked thread