Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Just Chompin'
Apr 17, 2004

1% Pure
Looking into a cheaper hatch. I was thinking of the Fiat Abarth, Ford Focus/Fiesta ST, or Veloster R Spec, what do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Just Chompin' posted:

Looking into a cheaper hatch. I was thinking of the Fiat Abarth, Ford Focus/Fiesta ST, or Veloster R Spec, what do you guys think?

Fiesta ST seems to be the new favorite around these parts.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Yeah - I love my C30, but I have to admit I look at Fiestas and those 4 doors of theirs with envy on occasion.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I just downgraded my hot hatch a couple weeks ago, from a 2010 WRX to 2005 GTI

(the stupid window vinyls have since been scraped off)

The WRX was having numerous problems crop up, and I didn't want to throw a bunch of money into repairs on a car I was still making payments on. I ended up selling the WRX to Carmax, used the money I got back to buy the GTI and put some aside for maintenance and repairs.

I did consider getting something newer, but none really made me want to continue having a car payment:

CPO 2010 GTI - this was the right price, but the wrong color, and the dealership wouldn't budge on their trade-in value. Slower than the WRX but more comfortable, I felt it didn't handle as well though it was easier to drive. Had it been pretty much any color except United Grey and they matched Carmax's offer I would have went with it.

New 2013 Abarth - a dealership by my work had some leftover models listed for a very low price so I decided to check it out. The car I drove had cloth seats and a sunroof (basically my only criteria for all the cars I looked at), unfortunately there wasn't quite enough headroom for me to feel comfortable with on a daily basis (I'm about 6'3"). If the seat would have been an inch lower it would have been no problem, but they seem oddly elevated. Also the clutch feel in this was quite different, it was extremely light and seemed to have a travel that keeps continuing up where most cars it would have stopped by then, kind of hard to explain. In the end that dealership would not give me any hard numbers on how they reached the price advertised on their site and just wanted to play the monthly payment game. I did try another dealership that was even worse, and thought their CPO models were made of gold and priced just slightly under new MSRP, despite there being thousands in incentives on the new ones.

CPO 2012 Mini Cooper S - split the difference in size/comfort between the two above, they just go for too much money used that it wasn't worth it to me.

Fiesta (rental-spec) - I know that an ST will have a completely different driving experience, but things like the mile long dash, door mounted mirrors that shake with the stereo and tiny rear window would all be the same. All things I don't want if I'm spending $20K+

Now the real reason for this post: the cheap craigslist GTI has been fine so far, though it does need a few things, the most important being new tires. The WRX had Continental ExtremeContact DWS for most of the time I had it (there was some life on the stock tires when I got it). I could go with another set of them and they'd probably be fine. However, since used wheel sets are abundant I'm considering going for a summer/winter setup. Are there any summer tires in 225/45r17 that would cost less than the DWS (about $130 each) that I should be considering?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So you went from a 4 year old car to a nearly 10 year old VW which is well known for having issues?

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

You Am I posted:

So you went from a 4 year old car to a nearly 10 year old VW which is well known for having issues?

Yeah I am not sure what would make someone go with a Mk4 over a Mk5. I can't imagine a 2008.5 and above would be that expensive and they would drive a ton better with less overall issues.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I love VW but buying a generation not known for reliability from a newer car seems a bad choice.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The WRX was becoming unreliable for me, plus I had about 20 months of payments left. If I can get two years out of this car without any catastrophes I'll be happy, if not I'll dump it on craigslist and get something else. Plus, when I got the WRX I was living in the suburbs, now I own a house in the city so I like not worrying too much about getting a "nice" car beat up.

Right now the only issue that needs to be addressed is the tires.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

Just Chompin' posted:

If money is the major concern Fiat is running some nice incentives on the Abarth. Lots of people, including myself have seen base 13's for under 17k and pretty loaded models under 20k. I bought one a few months ago and so far very happy with it. I shopped against both the ST's and the Mazda 3s but in the end for me it came down to price. My friend has a Focus ST I've driven quite a few times and it's a great car too. They have been out long enough now that I've seen a few dealers knock some money off which will bring them to close to price parity with the Fiesta. I haven't driven the Hyundai but I don't think you can really go wrong with any of those choices.

Just Chompin'
Apr 17, 2004

1% Pure
I really want to test the Veloster. It seems like it's the most unknown. The Fiat is super cool, but the more I look into it, it seems like the driving position might be untenable for someone my size(6'2").

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Just Chompin' posted:

I really want to test the Veloster. It seems like it's the most unknown. The Fiat is super cool, but the more I look into it, it seems like the driving position might be untenable for someone my size(6'2").

Bajaha's ownership experience has been pretty bad so far.

Just Chompin'
Apr 17, 2004

1% Pure
Yeah, I saw that. It does make me a bit hesitant.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Just Chompin' posted:

Yeah, I saw that. It does make me a bit hesitant.

Just in case you forgot, it is a Hyundai.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just Chompin' posted:

I think Holdbrooks is a bit taller than that. I'm 6'4" and I've been meaning to test-drive one for ages now.

I actually found the Mazda2 to be quite comfortable when I test-drove it, but it's about as hot as ice cream.

Just Chompin'
Apr 17, 2004

1% Pure
Oh yeah? poo poo. Maybe, Ill take a test drive and see how it fits.

Right now, my top choices are the Fiesta ST and the Abarth.

I do wish they made a Mazdaspeed2; I always dug the Mazdaspeed3.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish Mazda was doing anything at all with the Mazdaspeed brand. There doesn't appear to be a single thing on the horizon.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
No Mazdaspeed 2.. I was hoping for one myself. Try to test drive the Abarath and ST both. Myself (and a few others here) only made it as far as testing the ST. :D

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I wish Mazda was doing anything at all with the Mazdaspeed brand. There doesn't appear to be a single thing on the horizon.

Supposedly the Speed3 will be back as a 2018 model. Bit of a lag there.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I know plenty of people with positive Hyundai experiences. The Veloster's looks are pretty love it/hate it, though, and the 1.6l doesn't seem like it'd be very thrilling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

Every terrible Mazda forum has some dude with insider info who has a different story. Turbo Skyactive/Turbo Diesl/AWD/RWD etc etc.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I'm 6'2 and fit with plenty of room to spare in my Fiesta ST. It's surprisingly large inside for its tiny dimensions. I have 2k miles on it now and it's been great. 100% reliable and not a single complaint so far. I average 24mpg on the nose boosting around Los Angeles which isn't too bad for the way I drive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

To be fair, the original came out three years into the Mazda3 run, and the second-gen was more carryover than not. The 2.3L DISI they used is out of production too, since the CX7 was discontinued.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

Every terrible Mazda forum has some dude with insider info who has a different story. Turbo Skyactive/Turbo Diesl/AWD/RWD etc etc.

There are Turbo Diesel Mazda3s, but I guess the emission standards in the US ban those.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

You Am I posted:

There are Turbo Diesel Mazda3s, but I guess the emission standards in the US ban those.

They're not banned, they just don't sell unless the car's German. Diesel non-truck vehicles have been pretty risky after GM hosed up royally back in the 80s. Not to mention that the emissions standards require a bunch of junk packed onto the exhaust pipe that adds around 40% to the price of a compact like the 3. It was a pretty big deal when it was announced that not only was a not-German not-truck being introduced, but it was the very same company that ruined the reputation of diesel in America the last time they tried it, and now we have the diesel Cruze. That's still the only not-German not-truck that's available with a diesel, and supposedly it's actually decent this time.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 8, 2014

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Just Chompin' posted:

You will fit in the front just fine, but the back is ridiculously claustrophobic. At 6'2", my head was touching the glass, and I'm pretty sure 6'3 won't even fit. Add to that the least satisfying engine note I've ever heard, underwhelming features, and needlessly stiff steering. Even with a new 2013 listed for 19,000, I wouldn't go near it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

This was actually in C&D but not much more reputable. I'd love to see a new MS3 but not holding out a lot of hope.

Just Chompin'
Apr 17, 2004

1% Pure

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

You will fit in the front just fine, but the back is ridiculously claustrophobic. At 6'2", my head was touching the glass, and I'm pretty sure 6'3 won't even fit. Add to that the least satisfying engine note I've ever heard, underwhelming features, and needlessly stiff steering. Even with a new 2013 listed for 19,000, I wouldn't go near it.

Which car? Cuz I thought the abarth had an awesome exhaust note.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bovril Delight posted:

This was actually in C&D but not much more reputable. I'd love to see a new MS3 but not holding out a lot of hope.

All I want in the world is a small, AWD turbo 6 speed hatch with a Mazda M on it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Just Chompin' posted:

Which car? Cuz I thought the abarth had an awesome exhaust note.

It does. I picked mine up this morning and I love it so far. And there's plenty of room up front for me at 6'1". My only beefs after a day of driving are maybe that the clutch throw is a little longer and the pressure a little softer than I'd like, but that's probably more just adjusting from what I'm used to. And maybe I feel like I'm going through first gear a bit quick, but I'm probably unfairly stacking that against my bike subconsciously. Only been half a day really, and I haven't had chance to really get it out and play yet, but it's a fun car so far.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bovril Delight posted:

Mazda seems like they've crawled back to focusing on profits and selling as many sort of boring vehicles as possible since they split from Ford.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Rhyno posted:

They had a Mazda guy at Laguna Seca for the Moto GP last year. He was running some simulator (fun!), so I thought he was just some sales guy, but I talked with him afterwards and he was crazy knowledgeable. He hinted the next MazdaSpeed car could be another Miata. I sure to gently caress hope so.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Jalopnik posted a couple of days ago that folks at subaru are already saying that a hatchback WRX is under consideration. Didn't take long.

LtDansMagkLegs
Jul 23, 2013

Just Chompin' posted:

I'm 6'4 and fit in the Fiat just fine. Have several inches of headroom to spare with decent legroom too. That was my main concern before I test drove it. Your head may rub the ceiling with a sunroof as I couldn't fit in one with it but I hate sunroofs anyway. The seating position feels a little higher up than most sporty cars so that may throw you off. It took me a while to adjust (I also drive an old Z car which is the exact opposite being long and low to the ground) but I've grown to like it actually.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Jalopnik posted a couple of days ago that folks at subaru are already saying that a hatchback WRX is under consideration. Didn't take long.

Here's to hoping it's as hideous as the last one.

I still can't get over the fact that Subaru named it's top level car after an eyesore and VD.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I know plenty of people with positive Hyundai experiences. The Veloster's looks are pretty love it/hate it, though, and the 1.6l doesn't seem like it'd be very thrilling.

Yeah, I'm hoping my experience isn't too indicative of normal Veloster ownership. The interior is quite pleasant to be in, and the 1.6 is surprisingly peppy, small twinscroll turbo so it spools ridiculously quick, it's not the torque monster that's in FoST or WRX/STI, but its enough to make the car fun. Surprisingly it feels faster overall than the Abarth I took for a test. The ride on the Veloster is softer, but if it's primarily a daily driver then that's not that bad, especially if your area has crap roads like I do. It is just physically bigger than the fiat too so it's easier to load it up with stuff if it ends up being your only vehicle to haul stuff. (Ladies and Gents, Stockholm syndrome at work)

I loved the Abarth except for the seating position, I can see it being terrible on long trips for me at least. Otherwise that exhaust note and crazy cackling on rev drops is intoxicating. The D-shapped thick leather steering wheel has also convinced me that I do want to get the same for my project car (I've been eyeing it for a while but I couldn't decide whether I'd like the D shape or if it would just be an annoying novelty.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Mother fucker, this is basically why I bought the ST.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

All I want in the world is a small, AWD turbo 6 speed hatch with a Mazda M on it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

I was getting my A3 serviced the other day and the dealer had the new A3 sedans in. If they had brought the hatch over, I would've already bought one. I'm sure at least 5 or 6 other people would've done the same.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I love my A3 hatch so much. It's probably the first car I've owned where I have no complaints and no real desire to mess around modifying the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Great to hear the A3 is working out for you, it's a sharp looking car and from your posts sounds like a fun ride.

It's a good news day today. Cross posting from my thread:

The replacement tire arrived at dealer and we went in to get it replaced so now the Veloster is on 4 normal wheels again. Talked with the manager about our continued issues with it and they've agreed to giving us a $700 value service agreement for their service department, should cover quite a few oil changes, details of the arrangement will be emailed to me within 24 hours so I'll see exactly what it entails.

Now crossing my fingers I can get the little issues dealt with and finally get to enjoy the drat car.