Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

The solicits for the new ongoing make it sound like Norman is coming back again.

That sucks. When I lend friends my USM, I tell them to just skip any Norm Osborn parts. He's just that uninteresting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

The solicits for the new ongoing make it sound like Norman is coming back again.

Can't be worse than his last appearance.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Unmature posted:

I hope Peter never comes back. He's on of my favorite characters in comics history, but I've never seen anything like it in comics. They killed the flagship character of an imprint and let a black kid take over. That's amazing.

Also Miles is the best. I love that kid.

It's what the Ultimate Universe should be about. Not just the same stories told in a new way, but something totally different. I really can't see Bendis getting rid of Miles, at least.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Why doesn't someone just shoot Spider-man in the heart with a gun? He would drop dead. No more spider-man. We'd all be safer.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

WEREWAIF posted:

Why doesn't someone just shoot Spider-man in the heart with a gun? He would drop dead. No more spider-man. We'd all be safer.

Has anyone ever tried to shoot Spider-Man? I don't think anyone has.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Unmature posted:

Has anyone ever tried to shoot Spider-Man? I don't think anyone has.

I'm talking about real life, not in comic books.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Spider man's heart is made of webbing pretty sure, the bullet would just stick to the outside until his antibodies devoured it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WEREWAIF posted:

Worked out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The last Superior Spider-Man Team-Up read (I think I'm a couple issues behind) had Punisher shoot Spider-Man point blank, but Spock invented bullet proof webbing and was okay.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's so much lightweight bullet-proof poo poo in the Marvel Universe that you have to really suspend your disbelief about it or else everyone not constantly wearing bulletproof costumes seems like a loving idiot.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
That or the weapons companies would start coming out with better bullets after a while.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Are there any collections out there of the pre-JLI Elongated Man stuff? The old backups and his earlier appearances?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Are there any collections out there of the pre-JLI Elongated Man stuff? The old backups and his earlier appearances?

I believe there is a Showcase Presents volume.

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
Was Cable always supposed to be Cyke and Jean's kid from the future? It just really doesn't seem that way reading a lot of his earlier appearances. When he first shows up in New Mutants he has a history with Wolverine and all this background as if he had been floating around for awhile.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
According to this article, he was originally going to be an older version of Cannonball.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The him being Scott and Jean's son wasn't until X-Cutioner's Song though I always thought he was supposed to be mysterious future badass with no real "origin" at the start.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

The him being Scott and Jean's son wasn't until X-Cutioner's Song though I always thought he was supposed to be mysterious future badass with no real "origin" at the start.

It wasn't confimred until X-Cutioner's song. They'd been dropping hints for a while prior to that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Simonson wanted a new mentor for the New Mutants, to replace Xavier/Magneto, but someone a bit more hard-edged or militant, so Liefeld came up with Cable's design. They had no real backstory for him, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, his backstory at creation was "badass who looks badass." Everything else was tacked on later, though a lot of stuff came within the first couple years like him being called Nathan and his associations with various other characters.

Also, whoa, Mignola on early X-Force.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Also, whoa, Mignola on early X-Force.

I remember being an upset pre-teen because some Mignola guy was doing the art instead of Rob.

Woe. Woe.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Hey, I just wanted to ask if anyone knew if/when the Thunderbolts Volume 3: Infinity collected book is gonna be released digitally. I can't seem to find any information on it. I heard that's when the series started to get good and I want in on it. :(

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I read Ultimate Spider-Man for a while, then fell out of it. I understand it turned into Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man at one point, and now I'm seeing people mention Ultimate Spider-Man 200, so does that mean it went back to its old name and numbering? Can someone help me figure out where the links are (in terms of issue numbers for USM -> UCSM -> USM?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Peter USM:
Ultimate Spider-Man 1-133 (ends with Ultimatum event)
Ultimatum Spider-Man Requiem 1-2
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 1-15, 150-160
Ultimate Comics Fallout 1-4 (Miles introduced in #4)

Miles USM:
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (Vol. 2/All-New Spider-Man) 1-28 + Spider-Men 1-5 (616 Peter and Miles team up)
Cataclysm Ultimate Spider-Man 1-3
Ultimate Spider-Man 200 (Peter remembrance special)

Ultimate Marvel NOW! re-launch (still Miles):
Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man 1-
All-New Ultimates 1- (The current USM cast + Kitty Pryde. Written by Michel Fiffe)

If you don't want to catch all the way up, the Miles stuff is a good jumping on point (or probably just the new series if Ultimate NOW! relaunches are anything like the Marvel NOW! relaunches.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 7, 2014

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Wait, Bendis is writing Miles in parallel with the Ultimate, right?
Bendis on USM is a fundamental constant of the last 13.5 years.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

Wait, Bendis is writing Miles in parallel with the Ultimate, right?

Ultimates is Fiffe, USM is Bendis.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 7, 2014

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Ok, I misread your post.
I am oddly relieved.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

StumblyWumbly posted:

Even though I haven't read it regularly in years, when Bendis leaves USM I'll be severely bummed. I still catch up every once in a while, but Bendis's USM is one of those things that defined my adolescence. It was the first comic I ever regularly read.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unmature posted:

Even though I haven't read it regularly in years, when Bendis leaves USM I'll be severely bummed. I still catch up every once in a while, but Bendis's USM is one of those things that defined my adolescence. It was the first comic I ever regularly read.

Unless they are planning on making a Miles Morales movie at some point, I strongly suspect that the day Bendis stops writing Ultimate Spider-Man is the day Marvel stops publishing it, at least for a little while

Edit: oops I misread your post. For some reason I thought you said something about being worried someone else would take over after Bendis stopped.

I do find it interesting that someone else will be writing Miles in the new Ultimates.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 7, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

Bendis once talked about leaving it and at the time everyone assumed that Robert Kirkman would take over when he left. They both talked about it in a few interviews from time to time.

Then Kirkman did whatever it was that made him not so popular at Marvel and the chances of that happening evaporated. Thank god.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Bendis once talked about leaving it and at the time everyone assumed that Robert Kirkman would take over when he left. They both talked about it in a few interviews from time to time.

Then Kirkman did whatever it was that made him not so popular at Marvel and the chances of that happening evaporated. Thank god.

What, you weren't interested in seeing Miles (or Peter I guess if it was that early) punching villain's heads off every issue?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What did Kirkman do? I read the first issue of Invincible and I thought it was pretty good? (art's so-so, though)

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Schneider Heim posted:

What did Kirkman do? I read the first issue of Invincible and I thought it was pretty good? (art's so-so, though)

Invincible definitely started well enough, but Kirkman tends to go into shock value and violence, and his work really lacks the heart that Bendis's USM has.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

StumblyWumbly posted:

Invincible definitely started well enough, but Kirkman tends to go into shock value and violence, and his work really lacks the heart that Bendis's USM has.

Also his Ultimate X-men was godawful

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Invincible is frequently pretty good, but the problem is that every so often Kirkman gets bored with good writing and decides to just coat every page in entrails and eyeballs and any other viscera he can think of and kill off a bunch of good characters.

Y'know, like Walking Dead, if Walking Dead was still at all good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Kirkman has an affinity for shock value, and as the series goes on, it tries it outdo itself in terms of gore. I disagree that it's out of character for the book, however, and each violent scene, gratuitous as the imagery might be, is treated like a big deal in terms of characterization.

It's not my (or anyone's, probably) favourite comic, but I do in fact think it's pretty good. The art improves a lot as it goes on, as well.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Schneider Heim posted:

If a recent issue of Invincible and a recent issue of USM touch, they dissipate into a puff of photons.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
From what I can tell, it just seems like a fairly clear series of events; Kirkman was riding high on Invincible and Walking Dead when his freelancer contract with Marvel came to an end. He was invited to become one of the Image Partners, and since Image was much more profitable for him than his Marvel work, he jumped at it. Since he mainly worked at Marvel out of fandom at that point, there wasn't much reason for him to return. Whether or not Marvel wanted him to stay on, I dunno; stuff like Destroyer or Irredeemable Ant-Man didn't exactly burn up the sales charts, with his only major hit being Marvel Zombies.

He has since talked a bunch of poo poo about Marvel and basically been crazily inflammatory in that regard, since he's built his own boat and can burn all the bridges.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Has he really been inflammatory? All I've heard is that he thought he'd make more money at Marvel, but he ended up doing much better with his own stuff and so he encourages other folks to do the same. Bendis and Kirkman even had a talk about it. It wasn't like Waid vs DC or anything.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Has he really been inflammatory? All I've heard is that he thought he'd make more money at Marvel, but he ended up doing much better with his own stuff and so he encourages other folks to do the same. Bendis and Kirkman even had a talk about it. It wasn't like Waid vs DC or anything.

Well, judge for yourself.

Word Balloon posted:

"When I went to Marvel, I though i was on the Bendis plan. I had done creator owned stuff it had gotten popular, and i was looking at how parallel our careers were..but then I realized Bendis ain't going anywhere...there is no 'Bendis Plan' ... I realized the books that i want to do at Marvel don't exist anymore. I want to do a run like Peter David had on Hulk or Walt Simonson's Thor...I wanna do an Amazing Spider-Man run that doesn't have to lead into the crossover or the side books... and there is no one who has the cache to say 'no' to major company events. Straczynski had to participate in events, and it did help the book's sales, but he couldn't say no to events...and instead of sitting around pouting about it, I left...and I'm not saying that marvel sucks now...they're doing what they need to do to sell books...

"I want everyone to understand, I'm not saying no one should aspire to write for Marvel and DC characters...I'm just saying that it shouldn't be the pinnacle of a comic book career...everyone who only does Marvel and DC books gets ushered out of this business eventually...There's no retirement plan in comics ...you write your Marvel or DC books and you're hot until you're not and then it's 'thanks for time, bye.' ...And if you're not saving your money the whole time your doing it, your kind of screwed...you've let your popularity die down...but if you do creator owned comics,that's your retirement plan...you think Mike Mignola is not going to be making money off Hellboy when he's 65? that's a retirement plan."

"I'm not saying crazy stuff...I'm not trying to burn a bridge...I hope this doesn't offend anyone there...I have friends at Marvel and DC...I talk to Dan DiDio and Joe Quesada, they're not doing a bad job, and I'm not trying to say bad things about their companies. I'm playing nice."

Comic Book Resources posted:

A fan asks if Kirkman has "bad blood" with Marvel. "I don't have bad blood with Marvel per se, aside from the fact that I think they're a poorly run company that is partially destroying the comic book industry," he answers. Kirkman says he think there are a lot of good people in the company, and they publish good material, but their upper management is "extremely short-sighted" with negative effects on the industry, and the fanbase Marvel caters to, which Kirkman counts himself among, "is not going to be around for a hundred years." "I always try to look at the long game," he says. Every time he's critical of Marvel, Kirkman says, it's because he loves them, and wishes they were doing a better job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I can definitely see someone getting frustrated at marvel's constant crossovers