Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ShadowMoo posted:

On a side note, can I get a reinvite into GOON? I promise to be good not piss off Gosduck, et al.

You've demonstrated a remarkable lack of insight as to why you were kicked, judging by your removal from MATE and continued map chat shenanigans. I will talk to MATE leadership when I get home to get an idea of how your conduct has been since being removed from GOON, but that is all I will promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

ShadowMoo posted:

I got horrifically bored of TSW due to the combat system, all the game breaking bugs that were around at launch, and the fact that most other goons had jumped ship.

On a side note, can I get a reinvite into GOON? I promise to be good not piss off Gosduck, et al.

Man, you did it this time. You really pissed off a bird. You're so hosed. Better get a cover for your car because there will be a shitstorm.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Hah, no pressure. A logical extension of me acting like a fool is that some people won't like it. Between making the effort to censor myself or accepting the results of not doing so, I chose the latter.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is there a non-bureaucratic non-elitist non-serious Goon guild I can join? Think BYOB but MMO guild. I just want to have a good time playing casually with friends you know? Live and let live. In the ESO guild there was this guy called Reggin who would yell at people and I didn't think that was very nice of him, are the Maguuma goons more chill?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I would say SFD, but they seem to have some strange comedy elitism going. You can act stupid, only if you make it funny at the same time. (For which I love watching the results SFD gets)

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Goon Squad seems fine enough, very live and let live

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Until you make casual offensive jokes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Extra posted:

Is there a non-bureaucratic non-elitist non-serious Goon guild I can join? Think BYOB but MMO guild. I just want to have a good time playing casually with friends you know? Live and let live. In the ESO guild there was this guy called Reggin who would yell at people and I didn't think that was very nice of him, are the Maguuma goons more chill?

Try SFD, ignore the rape joke guy. Try GOON too. Choose whichever you like.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

CLAM DOWN posted:

I do more than rape jokes :( And how is occasionally spamming 'For rape justice' considered 'that rape joke guy'

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

They seem to put up with my terrible Quaggan guild rush skills just fine, but I make sure to stay within the 97-120 MMOSR rating as to maintain our national ranking.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey Arus, don't you have a cow?

BombermanX fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 7, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Extra posted:

SFD is chill as hell. They have people who are willing to level with you and do the fun dungeons. GOON has people on other servers, but they have Goshawk and people who do the unfun dungeons. They have people who genuinely like the aetherpath.

I am SFD's fractals sperglord and am super patient and willing to explain things. If you wanna fractals just hit me up when I log back in.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
So what's a quick way to make a little gold? I kinda want tier 3 cultural for my thief but 120 is a lot for me (have like 56 total). I don't really play a lot mostly 'cause of school/lab work stuff, so if it's too big a time sink I won't bother but was just curious.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Running EoTM with a good zerg group makes you tons of mats due to the champ bags.

Edit: What's the difference in flavor between a Warr and a guardian? I know guardian is more tanky, but does it do less damage to compensate?

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 7, 2014

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Extra posted:

Heres a link to my chill byob guild http://i.imgur.com/odGjA1e.gif

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Generic Octopus posted:

So what's a quick way to make a little gold? I kinda want tier 3 cultural for my thief but 120 is a lot for me (have like 56 total). I don't really play a lot mostly 'cause of school/lab work stuff, so if it's too big a time sink I won't bother but was just curious.

Doing dungeons with a goon group is both quick and easy, you can pick up 5-6g a day easily from doing easy paths, >10g if you do more. Edge of the Mists has far better rewards than normal WvW and you can get 15-20g with a good zerg session. You could make that amount of money within two or three weeks at a casual pace and I say that as someone who doesn't engage with the PvE rat race that occurs at daily rollover at all.

Lastly, you can send an in-game mail to Delacroix.2650 and we can work something out.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 7, 2014

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

You can knock out both cof 1 and se 1 within 30-40 minutes total and that would net you at least 2g and some change. If you don't have a need for the dungeon tokens, buy the armor and salvage them for ectos and sell those. You could also do the world boss train and that would net you some cash, but it's not as efficient as running dungeons.

Or you could sell your soul to Delacroix.

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

or if you want to do mind numbing frostgorge sound champion trains, it's about 5-10g an hour depending on what's in the champ boxes.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Dungeons and zerg things get kind of boring after a while. When's the next time they're gonna add some kind of test of individual skill, like zephyr crystals, SAB, or the Queen Arena?

Now I just reminded myself of M. Bison Arena and Kilroy's Punch-Out from GW1, and made myself sad.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Extra posted:

You want sfd. There's yelling but usually only at arus.

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Dungeons and zerg things get kind of boring after a while. When's the next time they're gonna add some kind of test of individual skill, like zephyr crystals, SAB, or the Queen Arena?

That's the way they want this game to go, you see. Zerg Wars 2. I fear that living stories are mini-expansions that are temporary content only to tease us.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'd love to get more dungeons or other small scale content for a change. Current dungeons are designed around the personal story so I think new dungeons could be geared toward scaled content.

That or more LS content like tower of buttrock. Going through the area with some friends was a blast: I missed the popular zerg runs into that place and felt like 3-10 people running was spot on challenge-wise.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Holy snotcakes this game is really really really fun. The combat is nice and crisp, the "quests" flow really well, the choices at each event quest thing are neat. Overall it's the grand pubah of casual MMOs so far and that is super cool. Hopefully they keep releasing content for the game as DLC/paid expansions. I'd keep doing content in this game just for pretty princess dressup gear and for the sake of doing the content because it's fun and I want to check out all the different weapon/class abilities. The whole "quests are everywhere just go explore you nerd" mechanic is the best thing ever and it works so well with the scaling oh my god.

TESO's devs are numbskulls for not stealing this system.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 7, 2014

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Extra posted:

Holy snotcakes this game is really really really fun. The combat is nice and crisp, the "quests" flow really well, the choices at each event quest thing are neat. Overall it's the grand pubah of casual MMOs so far and that is super cool. Hopefully they keep releasing content for the game as DLC/paid expansions. I'd keep doing content in this game just for pretty princess dressup gear and for the sake of doing the content because it's fun and I want to check out all the different weapon/class abilities. The whole "quests are everywhere just go explore you nerd" mechanic is the best thing ever and it works so well with the scaling oh my god.

TESO's devs are numbskulls for not stealing this system.

TESO was in development for around as long as GW2. After the latter's release, there's no way the former devs could've turned their game design around before their release.

As much as people neg the game, GW2 really is the gold standard of new MMORPG design, lack of player/guild housing, custom chat channels and some other minor complaints be damned. The combat is mobile and fun, quest design promotes exploration and leveling is quick and smooth.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Not to mention a lot of the less traveled areas of the game are really beautiful. Even a high graphics game like Tera is beat in that department.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Just imagine gw2 but with the amount of content wow has. That would be awesome.

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?
Guild Wars 2 was the first MMORPG I ever hit max level in. The easy level progression is a godsend and I can't picture myself staying in any other game like it for too long.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Extra posted:

The whole "quests are everywhere just go explore you nerd" mechanic is the best thing ever and it works so well with the scaling oh my god.

The events system really is a great concept. It's just a shame that ANet has forgotten about it, especially when it was supposed to be one of their main innovations.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

victorisham posted:

Guild Wars 2 was the first MMORPG I ever hit max level in. The easy level progression is a godsend and I can't picture myself staying in any other game like it for too long.

Leveling in Aion went from ultra grindy to ultra fast and it's still lovely. (Except for the combat feel and the times when you have balanced open PvP.)

Leveling speed is really not that important if the journey is fun and if you can already do some max level stuff from the beginning.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Extra posted:

Both GOON and SFD are pretty chill. As Arus said, try them both out and see which one fits your playstyle! The reason ShadowMoo is complaining about being ejected from Goon Squad is that he can't seem to stop making unfunny rape jokes even after he's asked to stop. Which is decidedly un-chill.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I like getting all the skills asap then exploring. The first time I went to 80 I didn't care as much but now I do so using all the fast ways to 80 are cool.

gandlethorpe posted:

The events system really is a great concept. It's just a shame that ANet has forgotten about it, especially when it was supposed to be one of their main innovations.

They've actually used it in every update except I think SAB.

Edit: Oh wait did SAB have events all over the world or am I thinking of dragonbash.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Visidan posted:

Yes, most LS updates include new events, but they're kind of tacked on, and no one does them after the first few times unless tied to a cheevo. This is true for almost all events, both permanent and LS ones. There's no incentive to repeat them, unless they're a boss/champion event. No meaningful reward, or sense of progression. So you get a world full of persistently stalled events that make the world and its inhabitants seem less alive - especially all the poor, dead NPCs in captured villages.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Visidan posted:

I like getting all the skills asap then exploring. The first time I went to 80 I didn't care as much but now I do so using all the fast ways to 80 are cool.

Edit: Oh wait did SAB have events all over the world or am I thinking of dragonbash.

SAB was just the cube in Rata Sum. That'd be Dragon Bash, yes.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Dinictus posted:

SAB was just the cube in Rata Sum. That'd be Dragon Bash, yes.

The first SAB had some holograms out in the world that spawned baddies. Same as the other open-to-spawn-dudes objects from Halloween, Wintersdays, and Dragon Bash.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Visidan posted:

The original SAB release added some strange treasure chests that spawned SAB enemies in normal gameplay maps. I don't think they were proper events, but they still did add things to the map.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

gandlethorpe posted:

Yes, most LS updates include new events, but they're kind of tacked on, and no one does them after the first few times unless tied to a cheevo. This is true for almost all events, both permanent and LS ones. There's no incentive to repeat them, unless they're a boss/champion event. No meaningful reward, or sense of progression. So you get a world full of persistently stalled events that make the world and its inhabitants seem less alive - especially all the poor, dead NPCs in captured villages.

There's only so much you can pack into a zone event wise, especially with hearts sharing space. Only one I can think of is southsun which is pretty bare.

Hopefully those dead npcs will be helped with the MEGASERVERS™

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

victorisham posted:

Yeah same, I've never hit max level in any other MMO because I always got sick of the gameplay long before I got even close to the highest levels. Guild Wars 2 has kept me entertained and engaged long enough for four level 80 characters and I'm already halfway there on the next one. It is pretty much my ideal game right now, they do so many things right.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

gandlethorpe posted:

I wish they would work more on the base game and add more dynamic events in spirit of the general flow in each zone. Add splits in event chains so that they don't always have the same approach or culminate in the same way. It'd be neat if they avoided retconning Toxic/Molten/Aetherblade/Clockwork into these new event additions. The biggest hurdle would be effort and maybe rehiring old voice actors to do more field dialogue.

I think it (a living world maybe! :monocle:) would feel more natural if everything new doesn't necessarily relate to a world-wide plot or villainous mary sue. It'd give people a reason to explore old zones again and allow ANet to do a little more world building.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 7, 2014

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
A reward track like what they did with spvp would be cool. Instead of getting gold, experience, skill points, mats and karma like now maybe you get 5 points towards some freakish backpack or a title like WvW as well.

I dunno if that will stop people doing the same events over and over like now though, people will always do the easy stuff unless they just remove it from the game. I've been playing D3 recently and even after 2 years and an expansion people still smash pots and avoid enemies in chest runs for the best chance at items.

EDIT: Not saying D3 or GW2 are bad games just to be clear, both games have made progress on their reward structures but have ways to go. GW2 needs a hardcore mode where when you die your account is deleted.

Also this is weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRYI21xe6NI

Reclines Obesily fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The thing I love about GW2 is that lets me do whatever I want in regards to build and lets me fill the role I want to.

I love supporting roles in pretty much every game I play, GW2 lets me do damage AND support, I can see big numbers flying with my warrior and I can support with my shouts and banner, and don't have to worry about some sperg yelling at me that we failed a raid cause of me and making me cry. Same with my ranger, just by being there I give them more crit chance and can summon a spirit for more damage.

• Locked thread