Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I feel we've been transported back to the arguments of last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Because 90% of the chat in this thread is the same 5-6 arguments that just get cycled around.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Next up in the DOTA 2 thread: "Man, have you guys seen that lovely penguin courier?"

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Nah that one was only like a week ago

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If fountain hooking didn't get fixed we would have never seen blink dagger get enabled for pudge.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Enigma89 posted:

The TCC sub-forum gang tag and the Denim Thread Megathread thread gang tag (which we never got) are way better than this one :colbert:

e:
How do we have gang titles and not thread specific smilies :spectre:

Hey we do have :dota101:!

Which doesn't get used anymore because the dumb CoA mask is unique to the original Dota.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Bear Necessities

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
I, for one, miss fountain hooking.

But I still laugh when baddies try to do it, or try to manipulate the hook mechanic in any other way. It's like "No, that's not going to work no matter what you use. Deal with it."

They never learn!

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Fountain Hooking was awesome, it was risky. If it failed then you were at a major disadvntage.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
http://youtu.be/HTDjf60S-lY?t=1m35s

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKkkEMem-tc

Didn't know 2GD was a Cokehead. :catdrugs:

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 7, 2014

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Enigma89 posted:

Response

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKkkEMem-tc

Didn't know 2GD was a Cokehead. :catdrugs:

It's called a lazy eye.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Earth Spirit with Medusa owns. This entire game http://dotabuff.com/matches/598626620 I would start my ult with Medusa and AiurFish would push me and then force staff me even further into the enemy team.

The enemy reaction was to turn around and scatter but because I was behind them, it was turn and fight or just spread into every which direction to die.

Totally owned

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
It's me, I am the filthy TB picker.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

TITY BOI posted:

It's me, I am the filthy TB picker.

That game was the easiest Medusa game ever. The whole time I was stressing about (being behind in) farm and then I looked over and T-Pain was running around destroying everyone. I felt like my entire purposed was to be pushed around by earth spirit to get an ult in.

poo poo owned :allears:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Alliance has fans because their players are entertaining. Everybody says Akke is a nice well-adjusted guy, Bulldog's antics amuse some people, and EGM makes some big plays.

However, their actual style of playing the game during TI3 was boring as poo poo, because they were taking advantage of how the game was poorly tuned in order to simply win games at the draft level. They correctly identified the imbalanced heroes with their ideal companions, and there was enough of them that you could hardly ban it all out. Your best luck was to ban out Akke's supports so that it would affect Loda's hero (because if Akke got KOTL, for instance, you were going to get a PL.)

It wasn't even really Rat Dota, despite Bulldog's love of being ratty, because Bulldog is still a rat king today and Alliance loses games. It was more like, uh, Draft Dota.

That got hosed up eventually. First by Elder Titan having incredible teamfight presence with some strong range power, and then by this new meta where there really isn't a hero you must desperately ban out for a balanced game. Today, teams pick/ban based more on their players' specialties rather than Icefrog's tuning, which is the way it should be.

Anyway,
Team Fight > Rat Dota > Draft Dota

I mostly agree with this post, and will also admit to mostly teasíng Na'Vi fans a bit. To some extetn though, it is hard to read "draft dota" being boring as anything but "it was boring because Alliance won too much". It is not like they actually ran all that static drafts or anything (if anything they started doing that *after* TI), but it is true that the vast majority of their games felt decided in advance, which is not good for the entertainment value.

Will be interesting to see how they do at TI4, they are easily contenders for the finals, but their performances have been pretty shaky for a good bit. In weird ways too, getting upset against by rather random teams a fair bit.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Will be interesting to see how they do at TI4, they are easily contenders for the finals, but their performances have been pretty shaky for a good bit. In weird ways too, getting upset against by rather random teams a fair bit.

This has been true of Na'Vi since forever

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Maybe I am a big fan boy but some of Puppey's drafts in the International are so great that I believe he is some sort of mastermind. I really hope Navi win it again, it must be so hard to be in the finals in the last 2 years and take second place both times.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Requested_Username posted:

This has been true of Na'Vi since forever

My slightly unclear "they" referred to Alliance though, since that was the main subject of conversation.

Rye
Jun 20, 2010

by exmarx
Blink and Mask of Madness are both very good items on Drow Ranger. Are there any heroes that wouldn't do well getting both of these items?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
http://dotabuff.com/matches/598572877
This game was so miserable. Though the enemy team could pretty much gently caress us up the most in teamfights, they played it safe and there was a 40 minute window where they could maybe push to win but didn't. At some point after we had their mid racks and towers down I (Clockwerk) figured we wouldn't be able to push normally and and bought that helm to try the dominated creep trick to break the fountain backdoor protection and have Terror Blade BoTs in and finish it, but that didn't really play out and I think the trick may not work anymore. (Incidentally the trick took two tries, in the first they found the creep and quite possibly figured out what we were doing and played extra defensive). Past 70 minute games never work out for me.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Elephant posted:

Blink and Mask of Madness are both very good items on Drow Ranger. Are there any heroes that wouldn't do well getting both of these items?

Blink is good on everyone but probably crystal maiden because new Rylai is really bad I hate you Icefrog. 16/16/16 stats she's barely legal for god's sake.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Elephant posted:

MoM is pretty rear end on timbersaw, blink is the best item for every hero though

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Playing invoker has never been easier.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Too bad I'm colorblind

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

BabyRyoga posted:

The Chaos part of Chaos Meteor & Alacrity are a bit weak, but otherwise, this is fantastic. :v:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

BabyRyoga posted:

That could (should) be a T-Shirt design on the workshop.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I don't see how the 3 wex one translates into 'Extractive Mana Pulse' :colbert:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Katana Gomai posted:

That could (should) be a T-Shirt design on the workshop.

I think the artist submitted it to the workshop. I would buy it on a shirt, and I don't typically buy t-shirts too often anymore.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

BabyRyoga posted:

I think the artist submitted it to the workshop. I would buy it on a shirt, and I don't typically buy t-shirts too often anymore.

Here it is: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=246154256

I did notice something else while looking for it: absolutely every submission to the "The International" category has people link their own submissions begging for upvotes in the comments. Kinda annoying, can you flag those as spam?

cindel
Sep 15, 2004

Cooler than Riddick.
To the person who was asking why I/people hate being in low MMR.

Just watch this loving assfuck of a game. 598975582

I might not be a perfect player in fact I was pretty annoyed and did some dumb poo poo out of desperation in this game.
But at least I never call "support" Shadow Fiend, then harrass the QoP in the mid as though she should be supporting.

Jesus Christ I need to get good so I can get out of this loving MMR it's like playing with chimps who mash buttons to spam random and confusing abuse at you.

Stupid loving moron retarded assholes :bang::bang::bang:

Tsolum
Jun 12, 2013

cindel posted:

Can you draw your problems in MSPaint for us please?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

cindel posted:

I might not be a perfect player in fact I was pretty annoyed and did some dumb poo poo out of desperation in this game.
But at least I never call "support" Shadow Fiend, then harrass the QoP in the mid as though she should be supporting.

Jesus Christ I need to get good so I can get out of this loving MMR it's like playing with chimps who mash buttons to spam random and confusing abuse at you.

Is http://dotabuff.com/matches/598975582 the game you're talking about?

If it is you have a long way to go, and 99% of it is learning to last hit creeps. That only 1 person managed to break triple digit cs in a ~30 min game is a testament to the depths of your AUS trench bracket.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 7, 2014

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

cindel posted:

So what mmr is this? Also you should never focus on any single game and think about how your games looks over time. Your self improvement will become apparent then.

cindel
Sep 15, 2004

Cooler than Riddick.

Soviet_Russia posted:

Is http://dotabuff.com/matches/598975582 the game you're talking about?

If it is you have a long way to go, and 99% of it is learning to last hit creeps. That only 1 person managed to break triple digit cs in a ~30 min game is a testament to the depths of your AUS trench bracket.

It's not the loss that I'm talking about, it's the trolls. The Shadow Fiend called support for some godforsaken reason, then immediately hassled me to buy support items until I put him on ignore.

Also I was solo, we weren't a team and he got triple digits by farming a lane alone while they took our entire base.

I am a mechanically bad player who doesn't last hit that good.
What I am not is:

3 12 year olds who leave for the airport 25 minutes in because "We thought we had time for a game"

A person who grabbed Captain and picked 5 supports then fed first blood making the game count and causing two people to rage quit.

Several teams worth of people who throw away clear wins by dispersing and farming the jungle when you ace the enemy team instead of pushing towers.

Several teams worth of people who ALL random in an All Pick Ranked game (why not just play All Random?) and get lovely heroes so we lose.

A team with 2 supports, neither of whom will buy even Observers let alone Sentries or Dust against the Riki who shits all over everyone (So I buy them and by the end of the game have not even completed one item except boots).

Yet I have met all of these people in my Ranked experience. I was loving 3000 solo MMR when I started. I don't care if I lose because me and my team are bad, that is fair.
I care if I lose because almost every game I am in has some kind of poo poo-flinging moron who hands the enemy the game and says "Here you go sir!"

I belong in a bracket of crappy players who make dumb decisions sometimes and don't last hit that well. I don't belong in this quagmire of retardation.

Tsolum posted:

Can you draw your problems in MSPaint for us please?

I have to go to bed but I promise to do this tomorrow.

Liu posted:

So what mmr is this? Also you should never focus on any single game and think about how your games looks over time. Your self improvement will become apparent then.

It's 2420 or so now, keeps dropping.

I appreciate the encouragement but this isn't a single game problem, as you'll see above ^

cindel fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 7, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAIPQ-JO3QU

Purge lanes Omni against Terrorblade, Terrorblade OP

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

cindel posted:

A person who grabbed Captain and picked 5 supports

There's no such thing as too many supports :colbert:

If you really were 3000 MMR it shouldn't be hard to go back up after dropping 600 MMR. Your team has 4 slots to be filled with bad players, the enemy's team has 5. Every single game you play is extremely unbalanced in your favor. Stop worrying about other people's play and just focus on the game.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

People who refuse to communicate what position they are looking to play and then go on to refuse to play the position that is left over when everyone has already communicated their intentions and have bought items are a real legit thing to complain about. I don't think it is terribly bound to mmr though.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

cindel posted:

I belong in a bracket of crappy players who make dumb decisions sometimes and don't last hit that well. I don't belong in this quagmire of retardation.

The trench is dark and full of terrors. I didn't mean to badmouth you but rather state a harsh truth. If you want to play interesting and competitive games of dota, you either need a stack of people to carry your rear end out of the trench, or learn the Wu-Tang secret of last hitting that gets you a Radiance, midas and boots at ~15 minutes into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Soviet_Russia posted:

The trench is dark and full of terrors. I didn't mean to badmouth you but rather state a harsh truth. If you want to play interesting and competitive games of dota, you either need a stack of people to carry your rear end out of the trench, or learn the Wu-Tang secret of last hitting that gets you a Radiance, midas and boots at ~15 minutes into the game.

This is true, but I've also had success with not picking to "fit" my teams picks (around the 3300 MMR area), and instead picking heroes that I know I can have a HUGE impact early and mid game, and hope that the person who picked a carry can use the space I made. I've been playing nothing but Axe for the last few days and I'm on a 3 game winning streak after many tough loses of picking something to "fit" with my team.

My advice is either to get good (at Blood Seeker mid), pick an early / mid game impact hero who can push towers and force their team to respond (like Axe and Sand King), or to pick a carry you know you can farm fast with and out play most other carries (usually ranged carry but if you're good then AM is a good pick).

Best of luck.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

People who refuse to communicate what position they are looking to play and then go on to refuse to play the position that is left over when everyone has already communicated their intentions and have bought items are a real legit thing to complain about. I don't think it is terribly bound to mmr though.

Within the first 5 seconds of the game I will highlight Axe and select the offlane on the minimap and type out "lane cutting offlane". I have NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, had anyone else say what lane they wanted, or picking to support my lane explicitly, except for the rare person calling mid. Don't expect it in the Trench.

• Locked thread