Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Post-post-apocalypse.

The planet is fine, the biosphere is fine, humanity's still reeling but they're making a strong show of recovery and also they have the infrastructure and knowledge for teleporters :science:

someone will say this posted:

but they're scavenging from ancient-

ruins and archaeological digs like humans have done from several thousand years ago to at least the moment you read this? :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Agean90 posted:

I haven't played this game, but it seems like the plot is "You have a tank and its the post apocalypse, gently caress yeah" which is the best plot.

It's also got Earthbound's :catdrugs: approach to enemy design.

So yeah, best game.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Post-post-apocalypse.

The planet is fine, the biosphere is fine, humanity's still reeling but they're making a strong show of recovery and also they have the infrastructure and knowledge for teleporters :science:

ruins and archaeological digs like humans have done from several thousand years ago to at least the moment you read this? :eng101:

They also have the infrastructure for tanks, which is an achievement in itself. And of course the intro cutscene had to feature a Tiger, which has a range of maybe 100 miles on a fuel load of gas, and the OP had an in-game screenshot featuring a Maus, so the game is basically being charmingly brazen about how preposterous the premise is. Tanks just seem so...wasteful for a post apocalyptic setting.

It kinda works, though, I want to see more of this.

Maybe having the infrastructure for teleporters (:science:) also allows them to operate the world's greatest network of wasteland gas stations.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
It's probably more like they have the infrastructure to support things like vehicles in the kinds of numbers we have today without the means to actually build any. Gas stations all over the place but only a couple hundred vehicles still roaming the earth means the resources go much much further, especially if some of those tanks never leave a small area of operation.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I don't think it's ever answered if all of the teleporter network predates the Destruction, but it probably does. Part of it certainly does.

Update Five: gently caress Mine Detectors

Since someone asked for it, this is the dialogue if you ask Misha to marry you while Kiriya is in the party.

: What the hell!? You never said anything about this!
: ......
: Ummm... Alright, count me in.
: What!?

And from there it is identical to the other one.

: Sounds like fun. I'll join you.

The Will of Goon has spoken. Misha starts out only level 2 and notably weaker than Max. We give her the Lightning Rod, which can be equipped by mechanics, as well as some basic armor. (She starts out with Sneakers, though, which are a step up from Max's Sandals.)

I also grab some Pot Lids, the next step up in Protectors. Which does seem to imply that Stick-On Armor was basically a thin layer of paint or something.

At Rent-a-Tank, we grab Misha a tank to use. Tank rentals cost you 20% of all battle earnings, but have no up-front fee. They just drain your cash. Then, it's time to head out.

I grab the Thunder Blaster and shove it onto Sam. Now that the little guy has a new engine, he can handle the weight.

Electrical cannons look like this! Very nice damage, too. The main goal of this expedition, however, is back across the river and up north.

Right here.

We will have a vote to name this tank later, when I get to the tank renamer. I decided I didn't want to hold the update up, especially since it's not the only tank we'll be getting today.

The Demag is actually not strictly a tank, either - it's an ARV, possibly based on the German Bergepanther of World War II. Wikipedia claims that it is a Sonderkraftfahrzeug 251 Hanomag - an armored vehicle but not a tank, designed for troop tansport. In accordance with thread votes, Sam got Cold Steel paint - it won the coinflip - and the Demag got Snow Cat as the second place. The Demag, now equipped with guns after a trip back to Newfolk, will be Max's new ride. Misha will be taking Sam.

Beautiful, no? Now, we set out to head north towards the abandoned ruins that Alex told us about.

Monsters of the Desert

Pocket Rockets are one of my favorite enemies. They can, in addition to kicking you, shoot missiles. They're not much of a threat.

Gatling Bees are a threat, primarily because of their annoyance value. They can fire their machine gun, but they like to use an attack called Pilebunker, where they stab you with their stinger. This not only does damage, but can damage or destroy tank parts. This is why Misha is probably the best choice here - Repair I is costly, at 200G per shot, and can only be used out of battle...but it will repair any tank part one step. Quick Fix, on the other hand, is usable only in battle, I'm fairly sure. One of the Gatling Bees broke my C-Unit on the Demag, rendering Max useless for the rest of the fight. If your C-Unit breaks, your tank can't do poo poo, since that's the computer that runs the entire drat thing.

Gatling Bees like to hang out with Black Hawk Flies. They aren't much of a threat, and the Eyeball is good loot. (Just be careful how much loot you have on hand when you enter a dungeon - 64 item inventory limit, remember. Best to offload your vendor crap to bartenders whenever you can. I do not always do this.)

Eventually, we make it here, to the ruins. They're pretty much a straight shot north of Newfolk. When we enter, we find Connie and Clive waiting for us.

: Well, we should still check it out... This place definitely predates the Great Destruction, don't you think? I say it's worth lookin' into.

We drive up to them.

: Oh, it's you. So, are you checkin' this place out? We're probably gonna be here for awhile. So let me know if you find anything worthwhile. We might even be willing to buy it off of ya.

When we regain control, we can talk to them again.

: Oh, hello there. I assume you heard the rumors and came running, huh?

They don't have much to say. You can get Thunder Grenades at the local vending machine, incidentally. I wouldn't unless you have some room - they aren't really needed right now. We start out with the furthest building of the three we have to explore.

Just downstairs, we find our next tank, the Mosquito. As with the Demag, we'll get a vote to name it once we hit a town with a renamer. It won't be too long. The Mosquito, according to Wikipedia, is a Wiesel Armored Weapons Carrier, another non-tank. This one is a West German weapon, not a Nazi one. The moment we grab the Mosquito, a cutscene starts.

(Click here for the cutscene!)

: ...Nice to meet you. I'm Rosa Beldaire. Who're you?
: So, you're Max. I assume you're a hunter. I am too, though you probably couldn't tell by looking at me. I became a hunter because tanks really get my motor running. I'd rather collect big tanks than waste time fighting monsters.
: That tank there is a Mosquito, by the way. There's supposed to be a tank somewhere around here, but...

: Well... I don't NEED that tank, really... It's not anything special.
: I guess he did find it first, so let's let him have it.
: Oh, sorry! You're still standing there... If I really wanted that tank, I'm sure you would have given it to me. But, I'll give you a break this time and we'll just say you owe me one. See you again soon!

And they leave as unceremoniously as they arrived. Rosa's a Beldaire, of the Beldaire Beldaires. She's very, very wealthy.

I am quite pleased to find the Mosquito - it's not equipped, but it's a great mule right now. See, since tank equipment can only be carried on tanks, it's good to have a mule. A tank that's being towed doesn't get involved in battles and can be overloaded without any problems. The Mosquito's powerful engine is ahead of the curve, but its weight for a frame is also ahead of the curve - it's going to be low on SP for a while. until I take the time out to upgrade it. So it'll do nicely for carrying things, at least for now. We grab an Ingram Frame, a part for later assembly, at the glowing spot you saw before.

The other reason we're here is because this building has working tank elevators. We head up to the third floor to get some Large Ore and a Big Medal. Large Ore is another assembly item. This place does, incidentally, have monsters.

Monsters of the Ruins

Rice Crookers can help each other escape battle, but they are otherwise not very notable.

The Grain Gunner is encountered mostly in the more on-foot parts of the buildings. It's still not a real big deal - it can hit hard, but it's not very accurate.

While most of the building has these helpful tank doors, tanks can't climb stairs. We head up on foot, grabbing a Revolver and Ski Mask and finding this. The Revolver's about on par with the Lightning Rod, but it's a ranged weapon, so it's a bit better.

****: Security system activated to locate intruders. ...Boot up complete.

We then immediately turn it off, because that deactivates the security but leaves the power on.

****: Security system has been deactivated. ...Process complete.

We head back to our tanks and loot some Unknown Ore from the first floor.

Then it's off to this building. Right inside, we get the Strange Hilt.

Oops! You really have to pay attention to your inventory! I use up some of my consumables to make space. They're there to be used, and because of the space concerns, the game does not play well if you try to hoard them. I'd taken some damage so far, so I patch that up. There are some consumables to loot, but I ignore them - they're wasted space right now.

Now that the power is on, these elevators are running, too. This building has 3 floors but no basement. Up at the top floor, we pick up a 75mm Cannon, which goes onto the Mosquito for transport. We also get some sneakers. On the second floor...well, there's a Big Medal.

And bird poo poo. We head to the building next door, where we can get out of our tanks and go behind the counter for a Pot Lid and a Flight Jacket, which is an upgrade for Misha's armor. Max's is already better.

Time to head in on foot. We head up two flights of stairs, then down another, to find a switch.

Downstairs, we get the Boomerench, a mechanic-only weapon that hits everyone on the field, is ranged and does extra damage to flying enemies. Misha takes it and won't be letting go for a while. Not that, ideally, she is outside her tank much, but still.

Back to the other door, we find some gloves, and then head upstairs to the door that used to be locked.

This one. Inside is a Strange Sheath, for assembly. Upstairs is a Zapper, which is exactly like the Revolver but dealing electric-element damage, so it's better.

We get back to the tanks and head down the nearby ramp to the parking lot, where we get an Assault Slide. Also for assembly. Once we leave the building...

: Aha! Just as I thought. There wasn't much left in here, anyway.
: Tch... What a waste of time.
: At least we didn't have to do anything.

If we talk to them again...

: Oh, hello there. Did you find anything of value yet?
: Oh, hey. So... didja find anything good? ...Hmph. I guess we're not really that interested in any of that. If you do find anything, let us know ASAP, OK? See ya later.

And they leave. There is no bossfight at the ruins. However, on the way back...

(Click here for the outlaw fight!)

Buggsy, like Trash Heap, is a very simple fight. You shoot him with your Main Gun, over and over. He does have a few more visually interesting tricks, though. Mostly, he uses Missile.

Missile can take a few different paths towards the party, but it always deals minor damage to everyone. He can also use Headlights.

For some reason, this lowers Defense. Lastly, he can Tackle.

Tackle is very inaccurate, but when it hits, it does large damage and damages a tank part, much like Pilebunker did before. The loot is another Special Junk. I take it to Newfolk, where I use the teleporter to stop by Junkyward and drop poo poo off at the storage facility, then sell my crap at the bar.

We also turn in the reward for Buggsy. 1500G is pretty nice. Then it's back to Newfolk to paint the Mosquito. I go with Twilight, since it was the third place vote.

And now, I suffered.

These were twelve minutes of my life. The first one wasn't so bad to find, as the guide I'm using found a good landmark to use to tell where it was. The second was ten of those twelve minutes, as I scoured the desert with my Mine Detector for a little blip. The first one is probably more worth it, since the second can't be mounted on any tank we own. The first is a good gun for tanks. Both went onto the Mosquito for travel. But seriously, folks, gently caress hidden items. I have no idea how anyone found these without a guide. They are in the middle of nowhere, with no sign that they might be there until you use a Detector in the right area, revealing the glowing blip for a moment.

Anyway, off towards East Zero, to the northwest. There's a trader camp out here. I am avoiding it now, because it contains an event we are not equipped to handle at the moment. We'll be back for it later. It'll keep. But first, we have some more hidden items to find. Yay.

This one gave me little trouble, at least. It's good armor. I took a break to head back to Newfolk to offload some crap and learned that there was a new bounty!

I think I avoided seeing these at all by turning off the security system. I head back to find the last hidden item before East Zero, but...

poo poo!

SShitshitshit! I got really lucky here - if this thing gets an attack off, it will tear through at least one tank. It will eat the entire SP bar at the moment, plus at least one piece of gear. I ran for my life and headed north, away from that thing. The best way to avoid this unstoppable killing machine at the moment is to stay out of the desert and stick to the rocky or grassy areas on the edges.

I haven't even used the Shotgun or Uzi yet and I already have an upgrade for thme. This one's a bit more powerful than the Uzi but not much.

Monsters Near East Zero

Speed doesn't really matter when you can't hurt a tank. Pogo Cadets can't.

Punks can take a hit, but my tank guns can still beat them easily.

The Bazooka Pooch is good for grinding cash - its drop is good as a sale item. And yes, it's a dog with a bazooka on its back.

Dragon Choppers are basically the same as their recolors earlier.

Mr. TNT is a pushover if you have a tank.

We finally reach East Zero. Our first stop, of course, is McKinley.

: OK. Well, the first thing you should know about East Zero is that there's a Continental Railroad station here! If you're looking to travel west, this is the place to come. For that reason, it's a lively town with a lot of opportunities. At the same time, you should watch your back. That's really all there is to tell. I've gotta get going now. See ya around!

We head up near the station to talk to another guy.

This man is vitally important. If you don't talk to him, then you will not be able to start the events that will eventually get you an amazing tank.

Hunter: By the way, this is my new baby... I hired a tank broker to find it for me, heheh. It wasn't cheap, but every serious hunter has got to have one! Anyway, the guy's name is MC Hamir. He's probably still at the bar. If you're thinking of getting another tank, then why don't you have him look for you? See ya around, buddy!

He drives off, and we go talk to someone new.

Cowgirl: Well, the saloon's always lookin' for waitresses. It's not a bad job... ...as long as you don't mind gettin' your bottom pinched by the regulars.
Cowgirl: Oh yeah, there's a forest southwest of here. Folks say they hear strange sounds there at night.
: ...?
Cowgirl: I hear tell it sounds somethin' like a howl...

Cowgirl: You're despicable! You want me to fill you full of lead? ...Oh yeah, I forgot... This gun doesn't have any bullets in it.

If you're polite, she'll mention that she thinks it's dogs. I couldn't get the text for that, though, due to forgetting to save beforehand. Now we head into the station and talk to a family that I wouldn't consider important to show if they didn't vanish right after.

Rich Mother: You'll love going to school in Lorelei Bay.
Rich Kid: Yes, Mother. I'll be sure to study hard so I can be smart like my brother.
Rich Dad: Now, you be careful, son. And remember, if you like it, you can stay longer.

More important is an old woman.

Rich Old Woman: I wonder where she went. The poor dear is probably looking for it right now.

We head out and go to the warehouse next door.

Transporter: I hate going there, there's nothing fun to do once I get off work. Newfolk's such a poor town, too. I'd make more up north or out west... I need to hurry up and get my own vehicle.

His buddy nearby has more tourist info we might want.

Transporter: I usually go to Beldaire, it's a nice town with a lot of rich people. I love making personal deliveries there because they give such big tips. Actually, the real reason I like it there is because it's filled with beauties.

We grab some goggles and head out next door.

Lady: Oh, you're not from the market. I beg your pardon. We sell our turnips here. Unfortunately, all the turnip leaves turned yellow from the acid rain. Our entire harvest failed to meet standards. So, now we're forced to sell it per lot here.

Trader: You see, out west, there is a trade council that regulates and restricts the amount of goods that can be bought and sold throughout the area. They don't want supply to exceed demand because then their prices would drop. If we shipped these goods, they would revoke our right to trade out there. Those same guys also regulate the trains and the fuel supply.

Trader: Well, it's not exactly a secret... These goods are being held up here to increase prices out west. If these goods were shipped now, we would still earn a fair profit. Then, the owner could get rid of these goods, and I could go back home. But, those guys out west want to make as much money as they can... I'm insulted by their blatant attempt to price gouge our loyal customers.

We also grab a Jambiya, a decent melee weapon, and head out to talk to a great new friend.

: Curry is good for you; eating it will make you happy. Please try some. As a hunter, you need a strong body. Curry will keep you healthy. Then, you will be able to capture many outlaws and make lots of money!

: Namaste. Would you like a Curry Lunch? You can have it to go. It's only 150G.

We buy one. It's a decent healing item and not too expensive. Then it's off to see another important new character, if a faceless one.

Master: Skills are special techniques that can be learned by hunters, mechanics, soldiers, and even dogs. They can be used during battle or while on the overworld map by selecting the "Skill" command. However, not every skill will be useful in every situation, and using a skill costs money. The exact amount varies by skill. Each party member can learn up to 6 skills. After that, they must first forget a skill to learn a new one. That's where we Masters will come in handy. It won't cost you anything to forget a skill, but there will be a fee to learn a new one. Ah, and one more thing... There are two types of skills: Auto and Action. Auto Skills automatically take effect when you enter battle, and thus, their cost is automatically deducted at the beginning of a fight. Action Skills, on the other hand, must be selected to be used. Note that some skills can only be used with certain weapons. ...Phew. That's it. I'm sure you're tired of listening to me, but I'm tired of talking too.

We'll look at skills later, though, this is getting long enough. We loot some Bug Spray and Big Medals, then head to the bar.

Soldier: I saw one being transported to Beldaire a long time ago. I guess they need that sort of thing over there. I wouldn't be able to equip something like that to my vehicle. If only I had an anti-aircraft tank like the Gepard...
Soldier: I hear that there are some troublesome monsters near Beldaire. Supposedly, they can shoot at you from outside your normal range of attack. You'll need to equip some serious SE to defeat them. It may cost a lot to reinforce your vehicle, but it'll be worth it.

We have no tanks with SE weapon slots, though. So let's talk to that man in the hat.

...huh.

: I am gaining much richness because of my tank finding! Cha-ching! Easy money, it is!
Waitress #1: Wow, that's incredible!
Waitress #2: Is it that easy to find a tank?
: It is not being easy, baby! But, with skill such as that of my own, it is like taking the candy from the child!
Waitress #1: I'm so impressed!
Waitress #2: Wow!
: Hahaha... Huh? What is it that you are wanting?

We could ask him to get us a tank, but we don't have the cashflow to work with MC Hamir. Yet.

: Then, take the hike.

We can then talk to a hunter and ask him to tell us a story.

Hunter: A story....? Well, I guess I could tell you about my first job as a hunter. I never met my client face to face, but I was told he used to own a soda shop. He sent me an envelope filled with 100G, and a note instructing me to buy a butterfly knife. Had I more experience, I would've smelled a rat, but I was young, like you. When I arrived to make the buy, some punk stuck a pistol in my ribs... ...I made it out alive--with both the 100G and the butterfly knife... But to this day, I'm still looking for that man who used to own a soda shop.

Funny, didn't the Elder used to run one? Not that we can do much about it. Anyway, he'll also tell us that that if we get a Shock Absorber, it will make us immune to bombs (but can break from non-bomb damage). And now, minigame time!

(Click here to watch the dancing!)

If we accept, we get to have a level 1 dance lesson.

It's pretty simple. There's no rhythm to it - it's just a memory game.

It can get long, mind you.

Success gets us a synchronized dance and the Dance Earrings, which I am fairly but not completely sure have no use. We sell off our poo poo, then wind down with a drink.

Next time: Man's Best Friend.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 4, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm still waiting for you to show off this game's amazing addition to standard RPG combat. It's ruined me for JRPGs that don't have it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh, right. I thought I mentioned that! But I didn't show it off in video, even if I did. If you hold down L2 while in a battle, it skips all animations and moves at like ten times normal speed.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Those, uh, Pocket Rockets are something else. And the mechanized rice cookers are nearly as good. I hope the enemies are all on par with the ones we found this update.

I dunno about the Hanomag, but the Weisel should be renamed from Mosquito to Stoat :stoat:.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 2, 2014

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

I vote that Hanomag be renamed to Bismarck and the Weisel be renamed to Valkyria

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Name the Weisel Elie, keep its current paint job.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
The Boomerench delights me. I assume it's a boomerang wrench, and that's hilarious.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh, right. I thought I mentioned that! But I didn't show it off in video, even if I did. If you hold down L2 while in a battle, it skips all animations and moves at like ten times normal speed.
It's really a godsend, because grinding out levels gets real tedious, real fast. As much as I love this game, the combat is definitely a weak spot in my opinion. We'll be seeing a lot of specialized shells and SE weapons in the future, but as far as I know, there's very little incentive to use them. And where there is incentive to use them, it's usually to neutralize an outlaw's gimmick that would otherwise make them impossible to beat.

"Mais oui! It is, 'ow you say, ze fine sipping cognac for ze gentlemen, n'est ce pas?"

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Your 'click here for the cutscene' link is broken.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FredMSloniker posted:

Your 'click here for the cutscene' link is broken.

Fixed. I can't manage to actually get an update done without some kind of fuckup, can I?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
You also messed up the [img] tag for the first screenshot in the warehouse after you leave the train station.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, this is one of the weirdest games I've seen in awhile. Kinda hilarious that a WWII Soviet SMG is an upgrade from a later Israeli one, though. Maybe we'll get a T34! :allears:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Insert name here posted:

You also messed up the [img] tag for the first screenshot in the warehouse after you leave the train station.

Of course I did. Fixed. Hopefully this is my last screwup here.

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013

Blackunknown posted:

I vote that Hanomag be renamed to Bismarck and the Weisel be renamed to Valkyria

This one's the one.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Did you just run from a giant landshark

is there a loving landshark

king of games

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Of course I did. Fixed. Hopefully this is my last screwup here.
You think of using CTRL+F to look for ]l or ]h so you can spot the broken tags ahead of time? Easy way to do it.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Did you just run from a giant landshark

is there a loving landshark

king of games

gently caress that loving shark, man.

gently caress that loving shark.

gently caress. THAT. loving. SHARK.

Oh, and as an aside, gently caress that loving shark. He's an rear end in a top hat.

...gently caress 'im.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Mors Rattus posted:

When I played Anachronox, I thought I was so clever for looking up the console codes and getting the one to adjust the speed of time so I can fast forward the more tedious battles. Years later I learned there was a patch for the game that actually added a button to do precisely that.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I personally never had much trouble with searching for random items. I never found EVERY item, mind you, but simply setting the Mine Detector to a dedicated button and spamming it wherever you go will get you a pretty decent chunk of them.

Also, that's STILL not the Outlaw I was thinking of. The one I'm thinking of is similar, but much more annoying.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Mors Rattus posted:

Downstairs, we get the Boomerench, a mechanic-only weapon that hits everyone on the field, is ranged and does extra damage to flying enemies. Misha takes it and won't be letting go for a while. Not that, ideally, she is outside her tank much, but still.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Boomerench is actually strong against mechanical enemies in general, being a player version of the various armor-piercing attacks we've seen enemies use. It's probably more noticeable if you don't re-disable the security systems in that dungeon: from what I recall, the security turrets hiding in the ground boosts their defense against most things through the roof but does basically nothing against the Boomerench.

Also, a question: how much are you going to keep to the "correct" sequence of events? Specifically, are you getting the fourth party member as soon as you have the cash, or is that being left until everything on this side of the train is done? Either's fine, I'm just curious.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nick Buntline posted:

Also, a question: how much are you going to keep to the "correct" sequence of events? Specifically, are you getting the fourth party member as soon as you have the cash, or is that being left until everything on this side of the train is done? Either's fine, I'm just curious.

The latter. For one, the tank renamer's on this side. I may change my mind if I get bored, though.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Derek Barona posted:

gently caress that loving shark, man.

gently caress that loving shark.

Oh, and as an aside, gently caress that loving shark. He's an rear end in a top hat.

...gently caress 'im.

It's a landshark, dude. Come on.

C'mon

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, extra speed for battle animations is always welcome.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also, that's STILL not the Outlaw I was thinking of. The one I'm thinking of is similar, but much more annoying.

I hate both of them so goddamn much.

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's a landshark, dude. Come on.

C'mon

Mors hasn't shown us much in the way of a map, but the thing is basically wandering the desert right there in your way around East Zero. And it's faster than you are on the map.

And it will loving eat you.

All seriousness, due to the general nature of how plentiful your money and resources are in direct correlation to how competent you are at being a Hunter, this guy can be a game-ender right here if you run into him too early and he destroys your tanks to the point where you can't afford to repair them. Metal Saga isn't as bad about it as Metal Max Returns was, but basically, the game makes it so you only have a finite number of times you can screw up before you more or less have to just start grinding your way back up from the bottom in order to break even again, and THAT gets old fast.

Derek Barona fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 3, 2014

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So, this convinced me to try out the game. But, well, I'm trying out the mosquito and it's quite good if you upgrade it's engine, use the Storm cannon and the Tap dancer (Since you can configure it to use SE isntead of Main Cannons), upgraded both weapons nad it's kicking rear end all the way from here to monroeville. Hell, even did that camp you didn't want to do without any major problem.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Siegkrow posted:

So, this convinced me to try out the game. But, well, I'm trying out the mosquito and it's quite good if you upgrade it's engine, use the Storm cannon and the Tap dancer (Since you can configure it to use SE isntead of Main Cannons), upgraded both weapons nad it's kicking rear end all the way from here to monroeville. Hell, even did that camp you didn't want to do without any major problem.

Yeah, the Mosquito is actually quite good - I'll probably start using it soon. I'm playing cautiously, but I probably don't have to be as cautious as I am.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So this game is kinda but not really like Harvest Moon by way of Tanks! and :catdrugs: I can dig it

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Pvt.Scott posted:

So this game is kinda but not really like Harvest Moon by way of Tanks! and :catdrugs: I can dig it

I think the landsharks might be something more out of Rune Factory, but that's... uh...

Actually, I'm gonna say more like Earthbound than anything else.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's reminding me of that PS2 Gundam RPG, more than anything. The one that's an original story, but with mechs from everything up to G/Turn A Gundam.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's reminding me of that PS2 Gundam RPG, more than anything. The one that's an original story, but with mechs from everything up to G/Turn A Gundam.

MS Saga, the one with some of the most ANIME clothes I have ever seen, it's like they fell into a box of random things and just put whatever on.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Fritz immediately comes to mind.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Well, I guess what brought Harvest Moon to mind was the open ended gameplay, the ability to settle down whenever and the fact that the PC is running at least part of the family business. MS Saga definitely covers the military hardware sperg part though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Derek Barona posted:

Fritz immediately comes to mind.

He looked like a special needs Gouf.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

May I just say how much I love the fact that you can go through entire cutscenes without leaving your tanks? And no one so much as bats an eye. I think your character isn't mute at all, he just does n't have an external radio installed. The only way to make it better would be to let the tanks emote directly.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This is not an update! But expect an update around Monday. These past two weeks have been a bit unpleasant for me, but I should finally have a chance to do stuff then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Take your time, 90% of this game is just making up your own story.
There is little to motivate the player.

• Locked thread