Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Ynglaur posted:

I had similar requirements, and generally like my Astro A40's a lot. They aren't USB, but getting an adapter, or USB soundcard isn't too bad. I personally run mine through the Astro Mixamp, which has the benefit of Dolby Headphone. This makes multi-hour conference calls far more bearable; it gives the sound the illusion of coming from around me, rather than the middle of my head.

Cool. They look pretty good, so I might be jumping on that. Time to see if I can find a deal in Canada heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Oh my, what have we here?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Looked like Goatse in the thumb :0

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
In the market for a pair of headphones to replace my office pair, which are Grado SR-80s. I never liked them that much to begin with -- wasn't all that impressed with the sound for the money, and I don't really like the ear pads -- and in the last couple days one ear cup and then the other fell off. I could probably repair them with epoxy or something, but since I'm not crazy about them to begin with, I'd rather just replace them. I have the following requirements:

• Good audio quality to the extent that I can get it, but these will live in my office. I've never had anything stolen from there before, but in case it does happen, I don't want to be totally crushed. Let's set a hard limit of $100, and I do mean limit -- I'd rather pay less, but would go that high. So please no "If you can stretch your budget, then xyz." I don't want to stretch that budget, and it has little to do with the price tag directly. I have better headphones than this for home, I know what I'm missing.

• I listen to everything. No, really, I know everyone says that, but I really do. So reasonably balanced reproduction is a plus.

• Open-backed. My office just has me in it, I'm not going to bother anyone, but I'd like to be able to hear it if my phone rings. Strong preference for over-ear/circumaural. Definitely not IEMs.

• I'm not generally picky about headband fit, but I am concerned about the comfort of the pads. I'll probably be wearing these for extended periods.

• I don't want to do any self-modding (like the old 555 -> 595), no matter how trivial.

• This is very unlikely to matter in this price range, but these will be driven by an iPod Classic more or less exclusively. Nothing that needs an amp, please.

Any thoughts? Right now I'm leaning towards the AKG K 240. As a bonus, they have a detachable cable, although I take care of my stuff and have never had a cable break.

Black Shadow
Mar 21, 2014

by XyloJW

guppy posted:

In the market for a pair of headphones to replace my office pair, which are Grado SR-80s. I never liked them that much to begin with -- wasn't all that impressed with the sound for the money, and I don't really like the ear pads -- and in the last couple days one ear cup and then the other fell off. I could probably repair them with epoxy or something, but since I'm not crazy about them to begin with, I'd rather just replace them. I have the following requirements:

• Good audio quality to the extent that I can get it, but these will live in my office. I've never had anything stolen from there before, but in case it does happen, I don't want to be totally crushed. Let's set a hard limit of $100, and I do mean limit -- I'd rather pay less, but would go that high. So please no "If you can stretch your budget, then xyz." I don't want to stretch that budget, and it has little to do with the price tag directly. I have better headphones than this for home, I know what I'm missing.

• I listen to everything. No, really, I know everyone says that, but I really do. So reasonably balanced reproduction is a plus.

• Open-backed. My office just has me in it, I'm not going to bother anyone, but I'd like to be able to hear it if my phone rings. Strong preference for over-ear/circumaural. Definitely not IEMs.

• I'm not generally picky about headband fit, but I am concerned about the comfort of the pads. I'll probably be wearing these for extended periods.

• I don't want to do any self-modding (like the old 555 -> 595), no matter how trivial.

• This is very unlikely to matter in this price range, but these will be driven by an iPod Classic more or less exclusively. Nothing that needs an amp, please.

Any thoughts? Right now I'm leaning towards the AKG K 240. As a bonus, they have a detachable cable, although I take care of my stuff and have never had a cable break.

JVC HA-M750 http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAM750-Monitor-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B002GQM2MA
These will cost you about $40. For the money, one of the better headphones. Excellent, powerful bass. Does not leak sound.

ATH-M50 http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U
If you're serious about your music and your audio quality, I would recommend these. They are a bit on the expensive side, but I've had mine for 3 years and they still sound and look great.

Sony MDR-XB500 http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2
If you love bass and are looking for comfort, these headphones will do you well. Don't be fooled just because they're sold in Walmart!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks, but those are all closed headphones. Im looking specifically for open.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

guppy posted:

Thanks, but those are all closed headphones. Im looking specifically for open.
You sound like a good candidate for the Sennheiser HD 518: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-518-Headphones-Black/dp/B0042A68R8/

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

guppy posted:

Samson SR850. They fit like the K240, but I think they sound a bit better.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks everyone. I'll do some research.

Raibead
May 8, 2008
So, I'm looking more for a solution than a specific pair of headphones at the moment, but I haven't been able to find much info to help. I work in a setting (developer) where I generally want to both listen to music, and also not be locked into my own world if someone wants to get my attention. My poor man's solution has been to just stick in one head phone and leave my other ear open so I can overhear if my coworkers are discussing an issue I can help with or if someone wants to ask me something. This obviously is terrible and having to miss out on portions of the song or even the entire instrumental / vocal part is limiting as I'll just avoid that music. I've been using some cheap in ear buds recently so even having both in on low volume makes it pretty hard to hear around me.

Anyone find a good way to get the best of both worlds while they work?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Raibead posted:

So, I'm looking more for a solution than a specific pair of headphones at the moment, but I haven't been able to find much info to help. I work in a setting (developer) where I generally want to both listen to music, and also not be locked into my own world if someone wants to get my attention. My poor man's solution has been to just stick in one head phone and leave my other ear open so I can overhear if my coworkers are discussing an issue I can help with or if someone wants to ask me something. This obviously is terrible and having to miss out on portions of the song or even the entire instrumental / vocal part is limiting as I'll just avoid that music. I've been using some cheap in ear buds recently so even having both in on low volume makes it pretty hard to hear around me.

Anyone find a good way to get the best of both worlds while they work?

You'll want something open, meaning that they let sound in & out. Now, do you want over the ear, or on the ear?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Looking for some recommendations, I'm currently tossing around between Superlux HD-681 EVO, Grado Prestige Series SR-60i and JVC HARX700. Mostly gonna use them for listening to playlists at my desk.

Budget - $80 Max, if there is some kind of super perfect set for 100$ I might consider it. Amazon pricing.
Source - Receiver, source will almost always be computer with HDMI Out to there.
Isolation Requirements - No. None. Open is preferred if possible.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over and around the ear. I do not like pressure on my ears during the 8 hour music and DotA sessions these are used for, that is why I am replacing the headset I currently have.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I think Bass Heavy would be preferred, but well-balanced is OK too, I can always use an equalizer
Past Headphones - Mostly just bought cheap Sony headphones previously. I got a decent set of in-ears with my S4 that I really like, they seem to have incredible bass for such little headphones. I haven't bought any headphones over 20 bucks before so I come here to humble myself before those who know a little more than I.
Preferred Music - A mix of a lot of things, lots of different Electronic music like Electro Rock, Trance, House, even some Dubstep.

Looking through the last few posts it seems like the Samson 850 could be a great candidate for me.

Edit: Just went ahead and ordered the Samson 850, I can always return them if they're no good. I'll post about 'em when I get 'em.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 2, 2014

Raibead
May 8, 2008

Retarded Pimp posted:

You'll want something open, meaning that they let sound in & out. Now, do you want over the ear, or on the ear?

Yeah those seemed pretty nice, but the "let sound out" part could be troubling. I'm generally pretty close to my coworkers so having them have to listen to my music won't really fly. Is the sound bleed out very noticeable?

I know I might have no recourse here, was mostly just looking to see if someone had found a novel solution.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Etymotic has an app that pipes sound from your mic into the iem's so you can hear what's going on around you. You should really just try open headphones though. Do you crank your music up really loud? If not, it's probably not that objectionable. There are also some extremely cheap but pretty ok sounding open headphones out there you could try. I think KSC75's are under $20.

Black Shadow
Mar 21, 2014

by XyloJW
Do any of you use amps with your headphones? The folks over at head-fi are obsessed with these little things.

To my knowledge you'd only need one if your audio source is poo poo?

Koosh Koosh
Dec 9, 2004

GET OUT OF MY PROGRAMME, SAD MAN

Black Shadow posted:

Do any of you use amps with your headphones? The folks over at head-fi are obsessed with these little things.

I use the Magni headphone amp with a Modi DAC from Schiit.

I mainly got it because my new PC is a temporary solution, while I find a better rig. The front sound jack has a persistent low beeping noise, which drove me crazy. It's probably sound from the motherboard, or as a result of being badly put together or both. I wouldn't say they're at all needed if you're going under $100 for a budget on headphones, unless you have my problem. When you're more mid-range ($150-$300), they tend to bring out the best in your headphones. When you go really high end ($500+), they're a must, because a lot of really high end 'phones are harder to drive. I'll let someone else go into ohms and all that, but that's the gist, as I understand it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Even with open headphones, you're going to have to keep the volume pretty low if you're trying to completely follow conversations around you.

So, I guess if that's ok with you, if wont be loud enough to leak out badly.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Black Shadow posted:

It depends on what you're using as a source but also on your headphones. If you want to drive 600 ohm headphones you're probably going to want an amp. The first post covers a lot of this, IIRC.

Raibead
May 8, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

Even with open headphones, you're going to have to keep the volume pretty low if you're trying to completely follow conversations around you.

So, I guess if that's ok with you, if wont be loud enough to leak out badly.

I don't need to have an entire conversation while simultaneously listening to music. Mostly I'd just prefer to not be oblivious to my surroundings. I wore head phones a lot as an intern in a cubicle and people would occasionally have to tap me on the shoulder which sucked.

I might just look into an open ear and worst case scenario I use it as my home set if it's too noisy.

PretentiousFood
Mar 13, 2009

Black Shadow posted:

I use a :siren: tube amp :siren: that I built for HD800s. The idea is that those particular cans are overdamped and benefit from a higher output impedance source, so tubes work nicely here to correct what I don't like about them. If you want to use a DAC, you'll usually need an amp because most DACs aren't designed to drive headphones directly, but most amp stuff is high level spergery.

If your onboard sound is noisy (often the case with IEMs and laptops) an amp will do a fine job of passing that noise down to the cans. Amps are most useful on their own if you're trying to power headphones that don't get loud enough out of the source's headphone jack.

Small nitpick about ohms: high impedance cans are hard to drive, because they require more voltage swing, but low impedance cans are also hard to drive efficiently because they require lots of current. Some systems will reach their current limit before reaching their voltage limit, and will start to distort. Most are designed with generous excess, but you might encounter the odd one that will not have enough current to drive your cans and get some distortion. Depending on the source, a low ohm headphone might also cause the amp to roll off the bass

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Has anyone seen these EarHeros things in person? It literally looks like they took a single IEM driver and put it into hard plastic cube to be inserted into your ear.

For $150. Because they're designed by a doctor.

"My product has being getting bad reviews. Yes they sound bad. They're supposed to. Because there's no seal. Because that's safer. Because I'm a doctor."

http://www.earhero.com/the-product

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

hubris.height posted:

Edit: Just went ahead and ordered the Samson 850, I can always return them if they're no good. I'll post about 'em when I get 'em.

They're great but I think the NVX XPT100 would have been a better option, despite you wanting open headphones.

Black Shadow posted:

Yes, but only because I have one. I don't feel that every headphone I have needs one.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I've been passively following this thread and saw Senn 558's recommended a lot and got some. Holy poo poo I love these things.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Was rolling with a pair of Audio Technica ATH AD700s which I completely adored until the cable started shorting out and I stopped getting sound in the right ear. Picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD558s and I'm actually kind of appalled at how muddy and indistinct everything sounds through them. It's not just the lows, but pretty much everything. Definitely not as crisp and clear as the AD700s. I'm not running anything through an amp or even a sound card, but I'm pretty disappointed. Anything I should try before I return them?

apophenium fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 4, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

apophenium posted:

Was rolling with a pair of Audio Technica ATH AD700s which I completely adored until the cable started shorting out and I stopped getting sound in the right ear. Picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD558s and I'm actually kind of appalled at how muddy and indistinct everything sounds through them. It's not just the lows, but pretty much everything. Definitely not as crisp and clear as the AD700s. I'm not running anything through an amp or even a sound card, but I'm pretty disappointed. Anything I should try before I return them?

An amp will benefit them, but in all honesty you should check out a used pair of the Ad900.

Koosh Koosh
Dec 9, 2004

apophenium posted:

I tried something similar with the HD598 when I wanted to replace my AD700, and I found exactly the same thing. I guess I'm just not a fan of the Sennheiser signature sound. Even my "bright" Magni amp couldn't make them sound exciting. Audio Technica really reels you in, with their house sound.

As Midorka says, you could try a used AD900. If you're determined to buy new (as I always am), I'd recommend the newer model of the same headphones, the AD900X. They do everything that the AD700 do and much, much more.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

First impressions:

+Comfy comfy comfy
+Great sounding
+Awesome price
-Cords a little short for my set up and I don't want to put an extension cable between me and the receiver

On a different note, what's the deal with Beats? Are they just overpriced compared to other more reputable headphones for the price?

Koosh Koosh
Dec 9, 2004

hubris.height posted:

On a different note, what's the deal with Beats? Are they just overpriced compared to other more reputable headphones for the price?

You basically nailed it. When they began, the quality wasn't even on-par with anything in the $50 - $80 range. I hear they've finally reached the $100-mark sound quality wise. So, maybe one day their sound quality with match their price points. :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
How are Bowers & Wilkins for IEMs? Saw a set of C5s at the Apple store and am interested to hear if they are good value or overpriced.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I don't know a whole lot about audio stuff but I was gifted a pair of AKG K701s a couple of years back and have been using them with a Fiio amp with no complaints on the sound or comfort. Unfortunately the plastic on each side of the headband has snapped making the fit uncomfortable so I'm looking into a new pair. I would like an open pair of very comfortable pair of headphones (6-8+ hour days are not uncommon) with good sound quality and a price ceiling of $250 but I would be happy to go lower if there is a great cheaper value pair. Would a Sennheiser be a good fit for me? I tried the ATH-M50 but I feel like my ears are too large for those and I found them uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Also I'm looking for a pair of comfortable durable earbuds that I can use on the go while walking around on the streets or exercising. I don't want a pair of IEMs since I want to be able to hear things going on around me. Something $100 or lower would be great. A friend recommended the Yuin PK2s but I'm curious to what the headphone gurus at SA think.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

priznat posted:

How are Bowers & Wilkins for IEMs? Saw a set of C5s at the Apple store and am interested to hear if they are good value or overpriced.

They sound fine but the RHA MA750s right next to them on the shelf will sound better at a lower price.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

grack posted:

They sound fine but the RHA MA750s right next to them on the shelf will sound better at a lower price.

Oh nice, dunno why I didn't even notice those.. Those look just perfect to replace my old set of S4i buds!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Was thinking about getting a pair of Sennheiser Momentum headphones. Any reason to avoid? I've heard nothing but good things so far.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Was thinking about getting a pair of Sennheiser Momentum headphones. Any reason to avoid? I've heard nothing but good things so far.

On or over ear?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Over

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They're pretty great, but they're also very expensive. The reason not to get them is that there's a lot of other really good stuff out there once you hit that price point. The NAD Viso HP50, Focal Spirit Professional and Classic, Sennheiser HD600s if open is an option, and so on. There are a lot of great headphones out there at that price point. You might still wind up with the Momentums but it's worth checking out some other options along the way.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Cool. Well, dunno if you've tried them on yet or not, but some people find them to not be truly over-ear and touches their pinnae inappropriately. They also mute the highest note in a standard piano to reduce cymbal harshness, but the best thing you can do is try them out at a store or something to figure out if you like that or not—your taste matters the most when buying headphones anyways, so don't worry about nerds screeching about buying the "wrong" headphones or whatever.

If you're looking at the Momentums, then I assume you're looking for a somewhat bassy consumer-type headphone, right? They fit an equal-loudness contour (all sounds hit about where they should in volume in relation to how your ear works) with the exception of that one note muted. Similar headphones include the V-Moda M-100, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, Audio Technica ATH-M50. If you want active noise cancellation, the Harman Kardon NC is probably one of the best ANC headphones in terms of sound quality under $400.

If you're looking at something more for home use, the other models mentioned in the thread are more than worthy, and you may want to poke around review sites like Reviewed.com, headphone.com, innerfidelity.com etc. for ideas.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 7, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I had the chance to check out V-Moda M-100's in person today (Brookstone sells them in MSP airport). They're far more compact than my current A40's, which would be great for traveling. A couple people commented that the pads can get uncomfortable on the ears, and I see what they mean. I don't (think I) have big ears, but I think I'd probably get the XL cups if I ever purchase that headset.

Sound quality was great, though, and I think it showed me I prefer a little bass to purely analytic flat-line EQ.

Does anyone know if the in-line mic is isolating or not, or will it pick up every sound around me? If the former, I may add this to my headset to my Christmas list.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Need some shopping advice. I love my HD555s to death, but they are starting to get long in the tooth and I'm feeling the consumer's compulsion to upgrade. Also while I appreciate the audio quality, they sound a little sterile, if that makes any sense. Music and games don't really pop. I'm looking at two options:

HD598: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphones-Burl-Wood-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=pd_ybh_23
The HD555s were the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn, and these look like they'll feel the same. I like the aesthetics of it too, it reminds me of a sedan's interior. The real question is, are these a significant upgrade over my old pair in terms of audio?

AKGK701: http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K-701-Headphones-White/dp/B000EBBJ6Y/ref=pd_sim_e_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1KXTGXZH81780YFNNER4
I've read some good things about this model. I am weary because the only other AKG product I ever owned was a K77, and those were horrendously uncomfortable. They had a hard membrane that flattened the tips of my ear cartilage and after about an hour they were unbearable.

I would also appreciate recommendations for a USB DAC with a big volume potentiometer. Something that's solid and won't pop and distort the audio when I change the volume levels. Preferably less than $150, and Amazon Prime would be a big plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

If you're going to upgrade them do it properly and buy an HD650. The headphones you are considering are side-grades at best, with one sounding almost the same as a foam modded HD555. The K701 are something that I often read mixed reviews about. They are very detailed and bass-light, focusing on the treble. If you're getting rid of the HD555 because they sound sterile then I would avoid the K701.

Now as someone who owned the Grado SR225i, Audio Technica Ad900, Sennheiser HD555 and HD558 at the same time, both tested foam modded and non, I would recommend the Ad900 over them all. The Ad900 are regarded as a hybrid between the HD595 and the SR225i, having the big soundstage of the HD595 while having a more aggressive and energetic sound that the Grados are associated with, while having the best comfort of the 3, imo.

The Ad900 is now discontinued, but the Ad900x took their place, which I've heard good things about. Even so the Ad900x won't be an upgrade, just a sidegrade. I feel that they are super under-recommended though in the world where Sennheiser, AKG, Grado and etc generally get the, undeserved, spotlight. If you look at this post you'll see that I'm not the only one who agrees, especially since only 4 other headphones received an A+ value rating. The Audio Technica Ad series, notably the Ad900/Ad2000 are ridiculously passed over for headphones that are lesser in many ways.

As for a USB DAC/Amp in that price range, you're not going to find it unless you are willing to go used. The only options I can think of are the O2/ODAC (used), E9/E7 (used), and the Schiit Modi/Magni (used). The E9 combo is the worst measuring of them all, but it's a solid budget option with RCA outputs. People will likely let it go rather cheap because it's been discontinued. The Schii Modi/Magni you might be able to find used as a combo for $150 with patience, same with the O2/ODAC, though the Schiit stack sounds drat near identical, looks better, and costs less.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 7, 2014