Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, "they're a poorly run company that is partially destroying the comic book industry," is a bit inflammatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He said some not so nice things about Joe Quesada once or twice. When we saw him speak at Chicago he was pretty bitter about his time at Marvel getting cut short but incredibly smug about the pile of money Walking Dead makes him. More than anyone at Marvel is making according to him. He and Bendis used to be pretty tight but that friendship looks to be long gone.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Opopanax posted:

I can definitely see someone getting frustrated at marvel's constant crossovers

I think they are a lot better now at letting some books just go without the tie-ins and keeping the damage down. Hawkeye has no place being a part of any major event so its been left alone. I also think Hickman is basically doing what Kirkman wanted to do. Other than starting out of Dark Reign his FF didn't cross over with anything that I know of. Infinity was his event and a core part of the story he's telling, but we'll see how Original Sin goes.

DC on the other hand...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I also like how he wants to have a run of Amazing Spider-man from the 70s as all through the 80 they had crossovers and side books. Thor and Hulk also had crossovers.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I also think that Kirkman's later comments about wanting to "Save the comic industry" didn't help things.

But whenever I see comic Pro's fight I think back to that time that JMs got on his high horse about how awesome his run on Spider-Man was.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/10/fanboy-rampage-jms-vs-steve-wacker/

In particular, Mark Waid's response is the stone cold best.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
JMS has always been known to be a huge oval office, that incident just cemented it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

Invincible is frequently pretty good, but the problem is that every so often Kirkman gets bored with good writing and decides to just coat every page in entrails and eyeballs and any other viscera he can think of and kill off a bunch of good characters.

I like Invincible in general as well as most of the various spin-off and satellite series Kirkman wrote before and during that comic's run, such as Tech Jacket, Capes, Inc. and The Astoudning Wolf-Man (although I certainly understand the criticism it gets). In a certain sense, I guess I can appreciate that he's been able to construct his very own superhero universe and he can more or less do what he likes with it.

I admit it's kind of weird that I like it (and probably more than a little hypocritical of me) because when the Big Two publish books with really viscreal ultra-violence (and often much less viscreal depictions than one might see in Invincible) it would often put me off.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Opopanax posted:

I can definitely see someone getting frustrated at marvel's constant crossovers

Peter David quit books over it, so yes.

Any word of a 2nd USM Omnibus?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 7, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Senor Candle posted:

I think they are a lot better now at letting some books just go without the tie-ins and keeping the damage down. Hawkeye has no place being a part of any major event so its been left alone. I also think Hickman is basically doing what Kirkman wanted to do. Other than starting out of Dark Reign his FF didn't cross over with anything that I know of. Infinity was his event and a core part of the story he's telling, but we'll see how Original Sin goes.
Marvel don't force books to be part of crossovers anymore, though, they haven't at all during Quesada's tenure.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Peter David quit books over it, so yes.
That was 20 years ago, and he's back writing for Marvel now.

Kirkman could have wrapped all his Marvel work and focused on his creator-owned stuff without being a big baby about it but whoops

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What all did Kirkman write at Marvel? He had a pretty poor run on Ultimate X-Men, he did one of the short, fairly anonymous Captain America runs in between Jurgens leaving and Brubaker taking over, and he had the new Marvel Team-Up he did with Scott Kolins (which was okay up to a point). What else?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

irlZaphod posted:

That was 20 years ago, and he's back writing for Marvel now.

Kirkman could have wrapped all his Marvel work and focused on his creator-owned stuff without being a big baby about it but whoops

I dunno, if you're in a position to actually express your opinions on the big two without suffering any repercussions, you should definitely take it, even if you're kind of a jerk. It sure beats all this "if I say anything bad about Jeph Loeb/Greg Land/Whoever I'll never work again" wishy-washy diplomatic poo poo we usually get in interviews.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I love Mark Waid.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

What all did Kirkman write at Marvel? He had a pretty poor run on Ultimate X-Men, he did one of the short, fairly anonymous Captain America runs in between Jurgens leaving and Brubaker taking over, and he had the new Marvel Team-Up he did with Scott Kolins (which was okay up to a point). What else?

An irredeemable run on ant man

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
And Marvel Zombies, of course. No idea how I forgot that one.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Kirkman also did Marvel Knights 2099, The Destroyer (which was actually really fun, I thought), Jubilee, and Fantastic Four: Foes.

I appreciate Kirkman being pretty unfiltered. He usually isn't wrong, but I think he's a pollyanna about the ability for most comic writers and artists to "go indie".

irlZaphod posted:

Marvel don't force books to be part of crossovers anymore, though, they haven't at all during Quesada's tenure.

Is there a source for this? It feels weird that you'd have tie-ins as numerous as Civil War had without some amount of arm-twisting. And there's the classic bit there a comic has to wind up or wind down centering around a crossover, as well.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

I like Invincible in general ... I admit it's kind of weird that I like it (and probably more than a little hypocritical of me) because when the Big Two publish books with really viscreal ultra-violence (and often much less viscreal depictions than one might see in Invincible) it would often put me off.

I feel the same as you... for me at least, the difference is that it's a lot less sketchy for a character like Invincible to be specifically created with that level of gore as part of the baseline, than for one like, say, Batman that started as a children's character and had that level of guignol just kind of creep into it over time. Especially since the Big Two characters are still used as all-ages characters. I think it's particularly hosed up that DC concurrently publishes Batman comics where the Joker peels the skin off his face, and where Robin teams up with Scooby-Doo. You really shouldn't be crossing those kinds of streams.

(That said, there was that Invincible-Tick crossover, but that one at least made the genre clashing part of the joke, whereas I don't think you can or should be making human taxidermy jokes in Scooby-Doo Team-Up).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

He wrote Marvel Team-Up too, which was pretty good.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Is there a source for this? It feels weird that you'd have tie-ins as numerous as Civil War had without some amount of arm-twisting. And there's the classic bit there a comic has to wind up or wind down centering around a crossover, as well.
I'm pretty sure numerous people have said it, writers can opt-in to event books for a quick sales bump. There's still a certain amount of editorial push I'm sure (like with Fear Itself, but even with that it was a crossover involving 2 books which was turned into an event), but for the most part I don't think writers are typically forced to write event tie-ins. That's why you'll end up with tie-in mini-series for certain books. I'm not sure what it's like for stuff like Battle of the Atom, but I presume that was pretty optional for the writers involved too since they all more or less had input on the story.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Most of Kirkman's points are valid comics are marketing to a diminishing fan base and too scared/too dependent on them to risk alienating them and there is an entrenched buddy-buddy club. Monty Python levels absurd gore aren't the industry's panacea and neither is replicating his one in a million indie comic Cinderella story.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, if you're in a position to actually express your opinions on the big two without suffering any repercussions, you should definitely take it, even if you're kind of a jerk. It sure beats all this "if I say anything bad about Jeph Loeb/Greg Land/Whoever I'll never work again" wishy-washy diplomatic poo poo we usually get in interviews.

Yeah I'm not a fan of Kirkman's writing at all but all those points he made are pretty sound.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan of Kirkman's writing at all but all those points he made are pretty sound.

His points that you should try to own the property you work on is great. Marvel/DC killing comics is where it gets hyperbolic. I doubt Walking Dead would be on the TV if comic book movies weren't already a thing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Parkreiner posted:

I feel the same as you... for me at least, the difference is that it's a lot less sketchy for a character like Invincible to be specifically created with that level of gore as part of the baseline, than for one like, say, Batman that started as a children's character and had that level of guignol just kind of creep into it over time.

Ultimately part of it is just DC and various writers chasing the dragon that was the mammoth success of The Dark Knight Returns.

SirDan3k posted:

Monty Python levels absurd gore aren't the industry's panacea and neither is replicating his one in a million indie comic Cinderella story.

Though I've said it before, the gore is largely inspired Savage Dragon, another book that mixes four-color influences with the occasional exploding head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StumblyWumbly posted:

His points that you should try to own the property you work on is great. Marvel/DC killing comics is where it gets hyperbolic. I doubt Walking Dead would be on the TV if comic book movies weren't already a thing.

I'm not sure why you think that. Walking Dead got on TV to capitalize off the zombie craze, not because it was a comic book property. A lot of people who watch it don't even know there's a comic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure why you think that. Walking Dead got on TV to capitalize off the zombie craze, not because it was a comic book property. A lot of people who watch it don't even know there's a comic.

And from my experience the majority of the ones who do know it's a comic won't read it because reading is hard.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Len posted:

And from my experience the majority of the ones who do know it's a comic won't read it because reading is hard.

And from my experience the people who know it's a comic do read it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Senor Candle posted:

And from my experience the people who know it's a comic do read it.

You must not live in middle of nowhere Ohio :(

Reading is hard here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At least once a week I hear "Oh wow, there's walking dead comics now!" Or some variation in the comic shop I work at.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

ImpAtom posted:

I think being based off a comic gained some legitimacy in Hollywood after some comic book movies made huge buckets of money.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So last time I checked in on Marvel Unlimited it was hotass garbage. Namely the smart panels. They would cut off major sections of the page including dialogue and couldn't be scrolled around to fix it. So it was that or read with the whole page on my phone and pinch and zoom around the page.

I just checked out the app on my iPhone 5s and it seems to be fixed, but I don't have a subscription. So all the ones I'm checking are the free comics that are all important milestones so if any of them would be fixed it'd be those.

Have they fixed the smart panels for ALL the comics?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When I read stuff on Comixology I get these weird Photoshop-esque lines that stretch through the pages, like so:

Anyone know what causes this? It happens in multiple browsers. I've tried searching to no avail, and Comixology doesn't have any support worth poo poo. I know I've seen it before under other circumstances, so I'm hoping it's a broad enough problem that someone here might know the answer.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Unmature posted:

So last time I checked in on Marvel Unlimited it was hotass garbage. Namely the smart panels. They would cut off major sections of the page including dialogue and couldn't be scrolled around to fix it. So it was that or read with the whole page on my phone and pinch and zoom around the page.

I just checked out the app on my iPhone 5s and it seems to be fixed, but I don't have a subscription. So all the ones I'm checking are the free comics that are all important milestones so if any of them would be fixed it'd be those.

Have they fixed the smart panels for ALL the comics?

No. Most newer issues from the past few years seem to be mostly ok though. It is a huge improvement, but still not as good as Comixology.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Does anyone know which issues of Adam Warren's Gen-13 have the story where they have to fight a self aware meme?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Does anyone know which issues of Adam Warren's Gen-13 have the story where they have to fight a self aware meme?

Gen13 #43 and #44.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is there like a general comic trading/selling thread? Cause I got Robotech and street fighter comics collecting dusts over here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think there's one in SA Mart.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There used to be a few, but they always die out quickly. Not sure if there's still a generic floating around.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ah okay. I guess I'll make one for my extra comics sitting around. Thanks guys.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just finished Gillen's run on Journey into Mystery, is that the end of Kid Loki :ohdear:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

I just finished Gillen's run on Journey into Mystery, is that the end of Kid Loki :ohdear:

Read his Young Avengers! All three trades are out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought it was one of the best books I've read in a while, though it kinda went all over the place with the Thor crossover stuff at the end. How's Immonen's Sif run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The Immonen/Schiti run is a good fun colourful book. Nothing at all connected to the Loki stuff but good, only lasts a handful of issues though.