Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

I just picked up Nier for super cheap. I read through the wiki, anything else I should know?

I know there's something with having jt play through the game multiple times or do certain things to unlock extra endings; will what I need to do that be obvious?

First off, when the game asks you to go fishing for a mandatory fish, look for a tunnel to the other beach and save yourself time and frustration. It's the tunnel that leads to the lighthouse. You can't miss it.

Collect all of the weapons because that's the way to see the last two endings.

Only do side-quests that you give a poo poo about. Some are notoriously lovely and time-consuming. Since some weapons are only obtained through side-quests, feel free to look up a guide for how to get them. There's only a handful for those, anyway. Also, any side-quest in the first half of the game must be done in that half or they're lost forever. The only exception is the fisherman's string of jobs. But do the one where you fight a boar and cheese that fight because boar-drifting is something great.

Don't play on Hard because your enthusiasm will drop like a rock. If you're material-grinding (god help you), you can switch to Hard on NG+ since you'll actually be able to put up a fight.

Combat is simple as hell and magic is king. Even when you get really good weapons later in the game, your magic will tear rear end better than your weapons most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Just started Saints Row IV, and the wiki says not to buy the Tornado sprint upgrade because it makes gameplay annoying. How bad is it actually, and are there any other upgrades like this that are bad in some way and can't be turned off once you buy them? Anything else that isn't on the wiki that is good to know?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

owl_pellet posted:

Just started Saints Row IV, and the wiki says not to buy the Tornado sprint upgrade because it makes gameplay annoying. How bad is it actually, and are there any other upgrades like this that are bad in some way and can't be turned off once you buy them? Anything else that isn't on the wiki that is good to know?

It makes it annoying to jack cars from sprinting. That's really about it. On the other hand Tornado lets you cheese nearly all the on foot mayhem missions so there's that.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

There are cheevos and challenges associated with what ^ ^ ^ brought up, so if you care about those - might want to get those out of the way early. (EDIT: Actually, near-missing cars on foot might only be a stunt, not challenge-related. It's been a few months since I played.)

Also at some times the police are inconvenient, and Tornado virtually guarantees they'll show up.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

On the other hand it's incredibly cool looking and that's all that really matters in SRIV.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

owl_pellet posted:

Tornado grabs everything within about 5 or 10 feet from you while you're super sprinting and flings it around a bit. The cops are basically a non issue, since you can immediately remove the threat by chasing a thing down, driving is essentially pointless because speed and jumping are faster and a shitload more fun, and jacking is still fine so long as you smash on the awesome button from pretty far away.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

owl_pellet posted:

Rush the main quest until you unlock dash and super jump, then clear your side quests before advancing the main quest any further.

Tornado is bloody annoying because there are a few missions where it would be really nice to just dash over to someone without it throwing all the surrounding cars, scenery and pedestrians all over the place.

I'd say it's more of an annoyance than a benefit. Since you can't switch it off once you've bought it, when it unlocks, save the game then give it a try. If you think it's awesome, keep it. If you hate setting off the wanted level every time you sprint, reload the pre-upgrade save.

I hated it, but everyone's different.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Rush the main quest until you unlock dash and super jump, then clear your side quests before advancing the main quest any further.

Tornado is bloody annoying because there are a few missions where it would be really nice to just dash over to someone without it throwing all the surrounding cars, scenery and pedestrians all over the place.

I'd say it's more of an annoyance than a benefit. Since you can't switch it off once you've bought it, when it unlocks, save the game then give it a try. If you think it's awesome, keep it. If you hate setting off the wanted level every time you sprint, reload the pre-upgrade save.

Counterpoint; I bought it as early as it was available, and I dont remember once feeling it was a disadvantage. Its not massively useful either to be fair, but its not particularly aggravating. But then I tended to get most places by air dashing/gliding more than sprinting, so that might be why (and any time I needed to get somewhere in a hurry without throwing stuff all over the place I presumably just jumped and dashed instead of sprinting, although it is saints row, so I cant think of many times when wrecking poo poo ISNT what I was intending in the first place).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Oldschool game question:

I semi-randomly decided to install Simpsons: Hit & Run, on account of not having played it in forever and I'm pretty sure I never beat it. As with most open-ended games like this, there's a lot of collectibles to find. I can't remember, does killing all the wasps/etc do anything? I know getting the collectible cards unlocks an I&S episode, but the game wasn't AAA enough to warrant a lot of answers online.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

or you could just summon a car for distances greater than 200 ft. That solves the problem completely and you can have an awesome upgrade.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anachronox. The wiki has basically nothing (I assume the steam version doesn't need a patch?)

In addition to the usual "what should I know" questions, there's a prominent spot for mods right in the starting menu - any that are worth checking out?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Anachronox. The wiki has basically nothing (I assume the steam version doesn't need a patch?)

In addition to the usual "what should I know" questions, there's a prominent spot for mods right in the starting menu - any that are worth checking out?

It's a really easy game but I recommend playing on normal. On hard difficulty the final boss will inflict just enough damage on you to the point where you can lose 50% of the time if you're unlucky.

There really aren't any mods for the game so don't worry about it.

Press the backslash \ key to speed things up. This is useful because there's a lot of running around massive locations and it works in battle and during cutscenes as well. You can rebind it in the game's default.cfg file.

Just enjoy the game. It's a simple console style RPG with hilarious dialog and a unique sci-fi universe. Practically every NPC has something silly to say so go nuts speaking to people.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Playing Ground Zeroes has made me want to play Peace Walker. I checked the wiki, but any other suggestions? I'm pretty terrible at the core MGS games to date, how badly will that hinder me?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Playing Ground Zeroes has made me want to play Peace Walker. I checked the wiki, but any other suggestions? I'm pretty terrible at the core MGS games to date, how badly will that hinder me?

Peace Walker is "lovely-at-being-stealthy" friendly.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Like SpazmasterX says, MGS4 and Peace Walker have made shootouts a lot more viable. In fact, Peace Walker has more forced action sections then forced stealth ones.

To add to the Peace Walker wiki:

-Playing co-op with a high level person will reduce your trip through the story significantly, especially if they have specific gear designed to capture more enemies.

-Capturing vehicles can be a slog early in the game. Feel free to return later with better gear.

-You will unlock higher "ranks" of weapons/equipment after you've found blueprints and met the blueprint conditions. Each rank means greatly improved accuracy/battery life/etc. At the same time, using what you've got will "level up" that specific rank and make it slightly more efficient. Levels are shown as red bars in the Rank icon. Overall there's up to 5 Ranks, each of which can reach Level 3.

-Don't overlook the Analyser. It really sucks at first, but it's the only way to find the higher skilled personnel once your teams are full. While your intel team can tell you how many B-skill soldiers are in the level (found in the pre-mission info screen), it's only an average since their actual skill levels fluctuate. The analyser will tell you if that B-skill soldier dropped to a C, or jumped to an A.

-Getting to the very end is worth it, since it adds a ton of context to Ground Zeroes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The trick to playing all the MGS games post the first one is tossing a chaff grenade when you get caught. The enemy can't radio in and backup won't show. I went through MGS3 and MGS4 as Rambo and enjoyed it and the only hiccups were the two moments where you had to sneak around as a scientist but even then a stun grenade is enough to run around a corner and wait for alert to drop.

The MGS games give you a ton of tools and the series is a lot more enjoyable your first run through if you utilize them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of Ground Zeroes, anything to know there? Other than "get ready for it to be short"?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ainsley McTree posted:

Speaking of Ground Zeroes, anything to know there? Other than "get ready for it to be short"?

It's a good sandbox and if you want a decently sized map to gently caress around with and challenge things in different ways it's actually pretty solid on that part. Just get ready for a gross and awful ending and just skip listening to Chico Tape #4.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

All anyone needs in Peace Walker is to nail that simple CQC shoulder throw from the tutorial. It puts most enemies into Zzzzzzzz after two throws and boom. Easy slaves workforce, minimum kills which is always nice.

Bosses are different but you'll find a way.

E: yeah what he said about the Chico tapes. I didn't even like the one he gives you first.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 9, 2014

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Probably the most valuable piece of advice that I missed out on early-on was that when you trigger an alert phase and you break contact with the soldiers, you can use your map to see the red "last sighted/search area" zone that they will perform their sweep for you in (kind of like modern GTA games). Once you're out of the red zone, you can stop sprinting and diving, and just take your time and slow things down to avoid accidentally running into a guard again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sleekly posted:

All anyone needs in Peace Walker is to nail that simple CQC shoulder throw from the tutorial. It puts most enemies into Zzzzzzzz after two throws and boom. Easy slaves workforce, minimum kills which is always nice.

Bosses are different but you'll find a way.

E: yeah what he said about the Chico tapes. I didn't even like the one he gives you first.

I've found it's even easier to just stick the gun in their face, that takes them down right away. If you're approaching an enemy from behind, you can stick them up from behind and balloon them when they lie down. If you're approaching from the front, you just bum rush and shoulder throw them, and then stick them up when they're on the ground, that makes them give up right away too.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Risen 1 tips for the wiki, since I'm just about to finish it again.

- You don't have to choose a side until Harbour Town. The best way to build your character is to go to the Don's Camp, do most of the quests there, then jump on over to Harbour Town. This'll give you the most possible experience if you choose to side with the Order. Even if you will end up going Don though, the quests from the camp that send you to the city give some really good exp you don't want to miss.

- Ranged weapons are bugged. The Bow/Crossbow skills don't apply the effects until r6/r10. This makes going "ranged" pretty difficult. You can still do it, but it'd probably be best to grab a Crossbow for your main weapon, then just pump Dex early. That'd give you tons of damage upfront, which you can use to clear out some monster camps/buy up the skills.

- Nothing respawns in the game. Instead at the start of every chapter they seed in new tougher enemies. The problem with this is they don't remove the old enemies, so you can end up with packs of 12-15 wolves in Chapter 3 if you didn't explore the area to keep clearing them out. Because of this, it's extremely important that you keep wandering around killing enemies along the roads/forests. Not doing so can cause the game to become unwinnable, since you'll be caught in a catch 22 of not being powerful enough to clear that huge group of mobs anymore, yet need the exp to level up enough to clear other groups of mobs.

- 90% of the skills are worthless. Pickpocketing won't even pay back it's investment, and you can just pick the locks you'd be stealing keys for. There are Acrobatic/Sneak rings in the world you can find that give you those skills. The 20 learning points asked for Prospecting/Smithing, plus the 2000 gold investment just gives you a single ring that's 3 points better then what you'll find exploring, and a few "better" swords prior to Chapter 2. Gut Animals won't pay back the investment, even if you skin every animal on the island. Only Pick Locks and Alchemy are worth the asking price ( PL opens up a ton of different paths during quests, and pays itself back fully just by cleaning out Harbour Town. Alchemy gives you + skill point potions. )

- Explore everything, always. You need the Hero Crowns in the forest anyways, so go off the beaten path and find stuff. You'll find tons of weapons and armor just wandering around.

- General rule of thumb is Strength/Dex 1-30 fight Wolves/Stingrats/Vultures, Strength/Dex 30-50 fight Gnomes/Boars/Talon Moths. Once you get armor in Chapter 2, start fighting Skeletons/War Crickets. Only once you get around 75-100 Strength ( and around level 15-18ish ) should you start fighting Ghouls/Lizardmen.

- Axes are slow but do high damage. Swords are fast, have better reach, and still do alright damage. Staffs are the inbetween weapon that have decent damage, speed, and range. Swords are always the best weapon to use due to the speed/reach, since 90% of this game is about counterattacking or hitting them during small openings. Also you can't use shields with Axes until r6, and can't use shields with Staffs at all.

- Being a "pure" Mage is pretty pointless. You can technically cast the spells off of "Runes", but they eat absurd amounts of mana to do so. The biggest issue is your Rune spells ( levitation/polymorph/healing ) take the same mana as your combat spells ( bullet/frost/fireball ), and you cap out on mana rather quickly. Because of this, you'll probably end up scribing a couple dozen scrolls over the course of the game as you need them. Considering the tradeoff for Mage/Warrior of the Order is that Mages can cast Runes, while Warriors have to scribe them ( and Warriors get two sets of much better armor right when you need them, while Mages need to wait until the last 30 minutes of the game for their next upgrade ), it makes Mage a bit pointless.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I have a question about Lara Croft: GoL: the wiki says that not all level challenges can be completed in one run through, but what about the challenge rooms? Can each one be solved the first time you encounter it or is there a little Metroidvania in play here such that I will have to come back after earning some ability or item in a later level?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Anything useful for Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes ? I've been doing the first scenario and it is fairly accessible and easy going so far.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

owl_pellet posted:

I have a question about Lara Croft: GoL: the wiki says that not all level challenges can be completed in one run through, but what about the challenge rooms? Can each one be solved the first time you encounter it or is there a little Metroidvania in play here such that I will have to come back after earning some ability or item in a later level?

All the challenge rooms can be done the first time through the level. They mean the level challenges like "Get all 10 Red Skulls, beat the level in X time" don't have to be done all at once because it'd be pretty hard/impossible on some levels to do that. So you could do one run of a level just trying to speedrun it, then another getting all the skulls, etc.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

owl_pellet posted:

You can solve all the challenge rooms the first time through. The reason you can't do all the bonus objectives at once is because there's always a "beat the level in this time" objective, which is gonna be really hard to do if it's your first time going through the level and you're doing all the other puzzle objectives.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Risen 1 tips for the wiki, since I'm just about to finish it again.

I've added these to the wiki.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'm looking at getting back into Shadowrun Returns after burning out after the first mission when it came out. Wiki and forum search haven't given me any luck, so any advice from folks?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tylana posted:

I'm looking at getting back into Shadowrun Returns after burning out after the first mission when it came out. Wiki and forum search haven't given me any luck, so any advice from folks?

Shamans and mages have the best ability sets followed by riggers. Being a turn-based game, "action economy" dominates the battlefield meaning you want to have more potential turns than your opponent. Shamans can summon powerful creatures and practically every level has a free summoning point available. The best spells are area effect that reduce enemy AP or boost friendly AP for obvious reasons. They nerfed shotguns but they're still a great weapon choice especially in the end game when you fight super powerful immortal enemies that like to get in your face.

Drones suck at first but once you max out the skill and gain access to S level drones you become a one-man army. I made the mistake of ignoring riggers for most of the game but they get free items that refresh every run and repair kits are cheaper than med kits. Enemies also seem to prioritize them over your other runners.

Bump up charisma to get the shadowrunner thing then never touch it again. This should maximize your nuyen gain.

Damage is a status that doesn't stack. This means if you take 20 damage followed by 2 damage, you can only magically heal 2 damage. Enemies follow the same rules so continuous damage abilities like fire are disgustingly good.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kalenden posted:

Anything useful for Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes ? I've been doing the first scenario and it is fairly accessible and easy going so far.

The first scenario plays very different from the rest of the game, but a couple of things:

1) For the hero-focused scenario, you may reach a point where you are unable to get around a city because of it expanding and blocking off your route. It's a complete pain in the rear end and the only way to get around is to train the third rank of earth magic, which allows for you to raise and lower terrain.

2) For founding cities, the priority is (generally) Essence > Material > Food, and outside of very few exceptions you'll not see anything higher than a total of 9 points in these values. Even a 3 food city will be able to grow to at least rank 4 with research (and eventually 5). Production from material increases with technology as well, but Essence is almost entirely fixed, with the only ways of expanding it being A) an upgrade option for enclaves at lvl 3 (I think) or a racial trait.

3) Essence is important because of two big things. 1) It directly limits how many positive enchantments a city can have and 2) some of those enchantments are more effective with more essence.

4) All cities with essence slots should have Meditation in one of those slots, unless you have something better to replace it with. Early on Mana is a very rare resource and +1 Mana per essence level is huge.

5) Pick a city to be your major military production city. There are two production buildings that are limited to one per faction and affect military production.

The top tier blacksmith building provides not only the +6 defense from the previous building, but also +2 attack and 50% reduction in weapon cost. That's +2 per guy in a squad, so late game that means you'll be getting +12 effective attack from a squad.

The second one-per is the top of the barracks line, the Military Academy (I think). This gives an additional +1 level and some other bonuses to units trained in the city, resulting in military units that start at lvl 4 there. Combine that with the other bonuses they get from the stronghold's levels and you can get some really nice units rather quickly.

6) Speaking of which, DESIGN YOUR OWN UNITS! Most of the stock ones are pretty mediocre at best. Fill up all of the trait slots, stack four accessories on them. They'll be more expensive, sure, but they'll be just that much better. The unit trait that gives +2 initiative stacks with the Fortress trait that provides +2 initiative, and the +25% attack against wounded units is a very nice one.

7) Combining the talk of essence and a main military city, I like to make my main unit factory be a 3/3/3 city if at all possible. There are multiple spells that can improve units built in a city:

1) Air 2 provides a spell that gives +1 initiative per essence to all units trained in a city.
2) Earth 1 provides a spell that gives +1 defense per essence to all units trained in a city.
3) Fire 1 provides a spell that gives +1 fire attack per essence to all units trained in a city, but at the cost of +5% unrest
4) Life 2 provides a spell that gives +1 HP per essence to all units trained in a city.

I don't think Death and Water provide any bonuses, but I might be wrong. Life is really the worst of those, but it's better than nothing.

8) Go into the menu options and toggle the one that lets you decide where new buildings are placed. Normally it'll just drop new construction right around the city center, but with that toggled you can place it and thus sprawl out and connect with resources. This is important because a connected resource is protected by the city and thus cannot be pillaged.

9) Heroes in a group together split experience. A single hero leading trained troops does not so everyone gets full XP. You're meant to have a single hero leading an army in the regular game

10) As a side-note to this, Henchmen do not count as heroes for this purpose. They may look pretty miserable at first, but once you start pumping out henchmen from tricked-out strongholds, you'll get some really nasty guys that can just murder anything.

11) Henchmen are also slightly bugged in that any accessory that they're given in the unit designer will disappear when they're built, but the bonus will not. So if you give them a +2 fire damage trinket when you design them, you can slap another one onto them after they've been built, giving them a +4 total.

12) Assassin Archer heroes take a while to build, but they can become rather vicious once they mature. They won't do nearly as much damage as a warrior hero, but with the right traits, they'll go through high-def foes like they were butter.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 11, 2014

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012
What should I know about Persona 4 ? I'm thinking of getting it on PSN, am I missing a lot by not playing the vita version?(I don't own a vita). Should I play Persona 3 first?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

MrSquarepants posted:

What should I know about Persona 4 ? I'm thinking of getting it on PSN, am I missing a lot by not playing the vita version?(I don't own a vita). Should I play Persona 3 first?

Golden has a lot of quality of life improvements as well as some extra cool things like costumes and an extra month to do poo poo in, but you'll become effectively unkillable past a certain point and P4 as it is already isn't that hard.

You don't really have to play P3 first to enjoy P4, but it's up to you.

Fusion is always important. If your Personas already learned all of their skills, that's a sign to fuse them unless they're really good.

P4 has the option to guard, which will cover your character's weaknesses. P3 doesn't have this until Portable, so you're going to have to be way more aggressive if you're going to play P3 first (i.e. waste them before they get their turn).

Manage your time wisely because the EXP bonuses you get from S. Links can level up Personas a few times before they even have their first fight.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Any tips for The Guild 2? I bought the entire collection recently and I've been messing around with Renaissance and the Legacy mod but it seems like a whole lot is left unexplained. I have a crypt and a church but really don't seem to be making much money.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

MrSquarepants posted:

The most important thing to know about any of the games in the series is that this isn't Pokemon and you aren't meant to be holding onto any given persona/demon/whatever for very long. Fusing higher level ones is much more important than leveling up the ones you have and you are going to want to do it often. You also shouldn't worry about trying to complete all of your S-links. It's either impossible on a first run through or you need to adhere to an incredibly strict schedule to manage it.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Picked up Two Worlds 2 on a whim today and played about 3 hours worth today. Anything in particular worth knowing before I really jump into the game?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

MrSquarepants posted:

Its also worth noting that P4 made a ton of quality of life changes that refined on P3, so if you are set to play both, go with P3 first. Also, they each have very separate stories, so feel free to skip P3 if you want.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MrSquarepants posted:

• Play on Easy Mode. The game will still throw a challenge your way, but it'll mean you won't have to constantly grind to keep up and free some days for S.Links.
  • Use rainy days to study, preferably with a friend. You'll get double points for it and quite a few points in that person's S.Link.
  • You should work on keeping your S-links balanced amongst your entire group as the first rank gives a very useful skill - they'll eat a fatal blow for the MC.
  • Never ever waste a day by going straight home. There's always an S.Link or a part-time job available somewhere (and some are only available on Sundays, so don't waste those on dungeon-running).
  • You might feel rushed with having to go in to rescue someone, but you have a good month or so before there's a long stretch of rain that will bring fog.
  • Fuse demons constantly. When you obtain one it gets recorded in the Compendium, so you can always just pay to get one out again for fusing something else. Never focus on one element either, make sure you have a balanced party (Thunder's or Wind's a good thing to bring.), and always have something packing the spells Dekunda (clear party debuffs) and Dekaja (wipes enemy stat buffs) in your persona group or amongst your Party (Yosuke learns Dekaja early on).
  • Don't bother trying to complete every single S.Link, just stick with the ones that interest you. It's borderline impossible even with your social stats maxed in a New Game Plus and every single day planned out.
  • Chie stops learning Ice moves after Bufula and starts focusing exclusively on Physical moves. Keep her in the party for an absolute powerhouse late-game.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011

Tylana posted:

If you want to easily get through the default module, the easiest build is a high dex, high dodge, rifle build. A full auto burst kills basically everything except for late game enemies and the final boss in a single round.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dark Souls 2 comes out on PC in 13 days, it's already been a month, what are some things I should know?

(I've beaten Dark Souls a few times.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

Dark Souls 2 comes out on PC in 13 days, it's already been a month, what are some things I should know?

(I've beaten Dark Souls a few times.)

The game expects you to spend levels: this is reflected both in the much more gradual increase in the soul requirements per level and in the soul memory system that matches people in for multiplayer by how many total souls they've acquired, not their SL.

Melee damage types matter a lot more this time around. Big armored dudes that shrug off sword blows will not stand up to repeated hits with a mace or club.

Elemental damage on weapons now scale off caster stats.

Poison is initially terrifying for the unprepared, but can be easily counteracted by popping a couple lifegems.

Some of the best farming areas won't open up until you've cleared "the big four" so keep advancing if you want the best toys.

Dex builds struggle early on due to a lack of weapons with good scaling.

Russian Remoulade fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 12, 2014