Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

VagueRant posted:

I've totally lost the plot, who executed Vyce and why?

On the other hand: about drat time!

Brantyn and Vyce plotted to assassinate Duke Ronwey and Lanselot Tartaros to eliminate the leadership of the Walister and the Dark Knights, ostensibly to wrest control of the isles in one fell swoop. Vyce cocked it up big time because he underestimated how much of a badass Tartaros is. Fleeing back to Brantyn was a fatal mistake, as in order to save face, Brantyn denied any involvement in their plot, placed all the blame on Vyce, and had him executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Neurion posted:

Some annoying endgame/post-game BS.

That sums up everything I've done in LUCT for the past forever and ever.

Rune Fencer/Valkyrie

"The wings bring the whole thing together, you know. Ain't they spiffy?"

Races: Human, Winged, Orc
RT: 26 Move: 4 Jump: 2/3 Swim
Weapons: 1h Swords, Spears, Caldia, 1h bows, 1h crossbows, thrown, lobber
Armor: Heavy
Magic: Air, Earth, Lightning, Water, Fire, Ice, Divine, Dark
Missile, Summon, Instill, Silent Light, Boon of Swiftness, Dispel, Ease, Heal
Support: Rampart Aura II*, Counterattack III, Knockback III, Strengthen IV, Fortify IV, Spellcraft IV, Resistance IV, Truestrike IV, Trueflight III, Spellstrike IV, Dodge IV, Sidestep III, Spell Ward IV, Constitution IV, Insight III, Expand Mind III, Channeling III,
Other: Parry, Deflect, Wade II
Action: Conserve MP, HP Infusion, MP Infusion, Barricade
Special: N/A

*doesn't learn by itself

Every class can be broken down into one of 3 overarching roles. Physical units, who establish the front line and deal damage with weapons, offensive casters who use magic to damage and debuff enemies, and support casters who heal and buff allies.

Something like that I can't draw okay we're not scrutinizing the exact pixels each class inhabits we're discussing classes in broad terms.

The first four classes are pure versions of these roles, with Warrior and Archer being different sides of Physical, and the Valkyrie sits in the middle, performing all 3 jobs at once, wielding heavy weapons, casting healing spells, and flinging a spiritsurge for good measure.

At least, that's the idea. In reality, the Valkyrie's physical prowess and its support magic have much bigger effects than its offensive magic.

And its exact position wavers violently depending on where you are in the game and what stuff to which you have access. The Valkyrie is a class whose exact utility and role for the party changes quite radically - and get this, it's never quite bad.

At the rear end-beginning, it's a frailer knight, but that quickly changes when it gets its hands on instill spells and Boon of Swiftness. Instill spells pretty much slap a free 25% damage on physical attacks and is the single best buff in the game for increasing your physical dudes' damage output, and Boon of Swiftness is More Turns In A Turn-Based Game. Then they enter an awkward phase where they have trouble quite keeping up with the purer physical units and their magic damage is as junk as everyone else, leaving them as almost pure support. Still not as bad as Cleric because a Baldur Sword +1 up someone's rear end is a Baldur Sword +1 up someone's rear end, and Instill spells are that gooooood. The things that utterly revitalize them are as follows:

Dispel/Ease: Now they're as good as Clerics at healing statuses, in addition to their other things!

Elemental weapons: Their physical damage picks back up, especially as Light murderizes undead and Valkyries favor light as their element - there's even a light spear!

Summons: The Big One, Summons are weird indirect spells that deal 2 to 4 hits, each slightly weaker than the basic indirect spell. Only slightly, and since they hit multiple times they end up better for single-target damage than pretty much everything else in the game. Right when we're hitting a billion augment element ranks and higher ranks of spellcraft!

It's only about then do they really live up to being the do-everything class, because then they do everything. And they're helped by two of the best Action skills in the game.

Conserve MP is 30 TP for making spells cost 0 MP, which is 1-to-1 with Boon of Swiftness and a discount for Heal III, Summons, etc. And TP is far easier to accumulate than MP, given a spear in someone's gut can net 50 or more. It enables near-constant streams of summons. The other one is HP Infusion, and is probably the best ever. It's 1-to-1 TP to HP, and if that doesn't inspire glee I don't know what to tell you. We're talking surviving a half-dozen attacks and coming out without a scratch. Nigh invulnerability. Effective immortality.

Still, though, Valkyries do suffer from a lot of not-as-good-as. Dedicated physical units can deal and take facepunches better. The few other mages blessed enough to get summons drastically out-damage the Valkyrie's, and their support is limited to instilling or quicken or single-target healing. It's understanding that versatility comes at a price of effectiveness, and that they have loving radical action skills that convert TP to much more important Ps.

Also, about Divine Magic: it just has more things. In addition to Missile, Instill, and Summon, it's got Heal and Ease and such. Even if your Valkyrie isn't light-focused, she should still have Divine Magic just to have access to Boon of Swiftness and Heal.

Just don't expect them to post the highest numbers and you'll be rewarded with a class that's never quite useless.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Everything I just said was truth

It's really pretty obnoxious how much better light is for a Valkyrie. Those utility spells are just so much more useful than hoping that strengthen/breached/misstep are doing something useful [spoiler]They arent[/s]

I do currently run with a water based Valkyrie because there is a pretty amazing unique water spear you get very late in post game content.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

In another place and time, Vyce would be a lovable comedic actor, rubber-faced and erratic but somehow with plenty of charisma, maybe in the mold of Jim Carrey. Not in Valeria though. :smith:

On a personal note, I just finished my latest save on Chaos getting the no slain, no incapacitated, and no Chariot/retreat titles. Did most of the sidequests as well as Wicce Deneb but didn't have the heart for Palace of the Dead F100. I don't know whether to plow forward into post-game or just take a friggin' break.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Here's whats going on. I've been out of town every week of the past month or so because of work. That means I haven't had much time to work on the LP, but I have managed to get everything I need for the next update done. I just need to find time to wright the update itself. Thanks for your patience.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Here's whats going on. I've been out of town every week of the past month or so because of work. That means I haven't had much time to work on the LP, but I have managed to get everything I need for the next update done. I just need to find time to wright the update itself. Thanks for your patience.

Take your time. This LP is enjoyable, so do what you gotta do to not burn out so you can beat the piss out of chapter 4.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

No worries, take your time and do what's important first.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
It's good to see you back.

That reminds me, I was looking through my cards for the PSP game's premium edition. That's when I remembered the original release had a four part Japanese comicbook based on it by Hiroshi Matsuba in 2000.

It's not to hard to find scans of the entire series but here are a few pages:

Most of the other pages are spoiler-y since the story takes place in the Law Route.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 43: Teo Torriatte

Welcome back, everyone. It’s been awhile, but now it’s time to start chapter 4. :toot: You might want to make a sandwich for this one because this update is going to talk your ears off, or something like that. What I’m saying is that there are a lot of words in this update.

However, we start off like always with an excellently narrated intro. If you haven’t already click here for video do it now.

"...following the fall of phidoch castle:"

"...their own Abuna Brantyn, a man unworthy of their trust; the Dark Knights, routed in the field of battle. But above all else,"

"In their desperation, the people wept. They yearned for a righteous leader,"

"The Lady Catiua was the answer to their prayers."

"...recognized Catiua as the rightful heir to the Valerian throne. The quarrel over succession was officially laid to rest. By Lanselot's accounting, this "prior unrest," as he named it, stemmed not from a deep-rooted divide between clans,"

"The history books would speak of no great Valerian war. Yet only the landed and the nobility paid any service to Lanselot's tale for those who resented the ascendency of the Bakram, words made a poor salve. The wounds they suffered would not heal without further bloodshed."

"...the war raged on. What had once been seen as a clash of clans became a rift between the rulers and the ruled,"

We open this chapter where we left off last time. Inside an unknown cell.

The door to the cell opens and Lanselot Tartaros enters. He then makes his way to the prisoner.

Leave us!

The lone guard leaves.

Far away voices can be heard even in this isolated dungeon cell.

Can you hear that, Knight of Xenobia?

The other Lanselot isn’t looking to good.

Who rules in Valeria is a trifling matter. You of all people must understand this.

...Need more men... not enough... Loslorian! ...Not be able... quell this rising...

More distant voices can be heard from above.

Let me guess. Unable to stem the tide that rises from the hamlets and villages?

Perhaps we asked too much of the Bakram's soldiers. They are not the soldiers we are, you know. Or the men.

Always binding people to your will, fettering them lest they show signs of free thought. Perhaps therein lies your problem?

They...ask? You're mad!

You have it wrong. It is the world that is mad. Tell me, how many of these peasants would even lift a hand to better their lot were they given a chance? How many would bloody their hands, risk their necks, walk without leaning upon another?

Safe at their hearths, grousing that more was not done for them!

Times were hard. They had all they could do to keep themselves fed…

They think that only from without the castle walls may one voice discontent. Not realizing that the quickest way to the throne is a knife to the king's ribs.

These people have the right to live out their own lives, not some part in a play of your design!

True freedom is not granted from above, it is won from below. And yet the commons look without for a savior, even as they claim sovereignty over their own fait! They wait and they wait for this savior, never taking that first step toward saving themselves.

Man is not so slothful a creature as that... They... merely lack our strength.

The people have no need of dreams. We give them all they need.

And what is that, pray tell?

A strong, unwavering ruler.

All men are born with a terrible burdon upon their hearts, this insatiable yearning for pleasure. They do not hesitate to take the lives of others if it will better their own. And yet, even these base creatures can know guilt. So what do they do? They turn it round. This is not -my- fault, man says. The world has failed me.

If the commons want to pursue their pleasure, let them do it in our service, under our rule!

You call this "rule"? This trampling underfoot of all who disagree with you?

We trample no one. All we do is reach beneath the suppurating flesh of this world and wrench out the source of its ailment.

No. As the body strives to mend itself, so does the heart. These people you so despise may one day astonish you with their valor!

People are drawn to power, drawn toward safety. They will betray even their most beloved to obtain it - Catiua, come!

The door above opens once again.

Allow me to introduce you to your liege, knight. For this girl is none other than the gift left us by Dynast-King Dorgalua: The Princess Veralia, rightful ruler of Valeria!

What!?

As you say, the Bakram are not long for this world. But, with the princess in our hands, Valeria will beg to serve under Lodis.

Catiua, how... is this true?

But he was no brother to me. He abandoned me. And now I, him.

Catuia storms off in a huff.

Catiua!

I bet he has been waiting to say that line for a long time. Especially that “I see” part.

With that, Lanselot Hamilton is left all alone in the cell as the scene fades to black.

Now it’s time to find out what Denam has been up to.

Not even the officers among the Bakram know her whereabouts, and the regent has lent his spies to the search. I see no other explanation but that the princess has sided with the Dark Knights.

Looks like Denam has finally gotten that headband he’s always wanted.

Most remain garrisoned in Heim. But many of their commanders, including Tartaros, are conspicuously absent.

Perhaps this is why the Bakram do not move against us. What could they be scheming?

You asked me to search for the Holy Knight of Xenobia...

Denam is really hoping for some good news, but...

A confession wrung from a scullery maid. It seems that the Holy Knight languishes in the dungeon below Heim Castle.

So he lives!

Yes, but under such a guard that not even the Bakram are allowed near. I was unable to mark him with my own eyes.

:smith:

Still, you have done much. Go. Rest.

By your leave, commander.

Not-Prowler leaves the room.

The wizard, who has been sitting there the whole time, finally decides to say something.

Not as yet.

Yes, but the more time that passes before we strike, the weaker we become. Have you forgotten the way the men speak of the princess? Soldiers in your own ranks weep aloud at the thought of lifting a sword against Dorgalua's blood!

I don’t think Denam is happy about the idea of fighting Catiua. Even though his soldiers want to fight you can’t blame him for dragging his feet.

Another man enters the room.

What is it?

The soldiers at Brigantys have taken hostages and holed up inside the castle!

What's this!?

What are their demands?

Our surrender to the Bakram, sir!

Wizard dude is having none of this.

“Philaha,” is the name of this world’s christian god analog. If you want to know more check out this update’s Warren Report. There is a lot of good info in there.

Their followers among the soldiers were many, were they not?

Aye. And their influence has only grown since the princess's appearance.

Not a situation we are like to change.

Add to this the fact that the late Dynast-King was a fervent follower of Philaha. How natural for these new converts to rekindle his cry for accord and seek to abandon the fight.

What will you do?

Out of the question! It's too dangerous, Commander.

Going into a potentially hostile territory without any way to protect yourself. There’s the Denam we all know.

Now back to same old world map. Also we got a new title.

We’re in the final chapter of the game, so you know what that means. It’s time to get bogged down in side quests.

Right now, in a manner of speaking, we can start two. Both of them are found in the Talk section of the Warren Report.

First, we have Deneb’s shop. Reading this gives us access to a special shop if we can find it. I’ll talk more on Deneb, her shop, and the long sidequest attached to all of this whenever we actually find her shop.

The other sidequest is about pirates.

Reading about them opens up Port Omish. But going there right now is suicide due to the level gap between us and them.

So we’re going to stay with the main quest for the time being.

Next Time: We have to go to Brigantys Castle to save some hostages, again.

Warren Report

Denam
Vyce
Catiua

Deneb’s Emporium
Return of the Princess
Resistance Falters
Order of Philaha Rises
A Rift in the Dark Knights
Port Omish, Den of Thieves

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

It was nice of them to let Lanselot keep his armor throughout the torture :unsmith:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Oh pirate subquest... :smithicide:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

waah posted:

Oh Deneb subquest :smithicide:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Heads up TO fans: http://www.ppsspp.org/

Really good PSP emulator was just released by the Dolphin guys.

If, for whatever reason, you don't want to mod your psp so you can use cheats (you should do this, it is super easy), you can use them with the emu. This means no more awful crafting.

Hmm... I wonder if it would work with steam in home streaming too, that could be awesome :v:

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008

waah posted:

I finished it. I don't know how I did it, but I did it. That was not a fun sidequest, especially after you beat the game for the first time and the auto-level scaling system kicks in.

At least the reward is kind of worth it. Kind of.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

^^^ to me that one fight is hard but no worse than Cistina. What breaks my balls is the absolute perfect timing you have to have. I can get everyone else recruited for the most part on a run without WORLD. The pirate quest requires a guide or intricate knowledge (or dumb luck), coupled with multiple save files just in case if you want to do it without WORLD. Deneb would be way harder without using chariot or retreat for pumpkins though

victrix posted:

Heads up TO fans: http://www.ppsspp.org/

Really good PSP emulator was just released by the Dolphin guys.

If, for whatever reason, you don't want to mod your psp so you can use cheats (you should do this, it is super easy), you can use them with the emu. This means no more awful crafting.

Hmm... I wonder if it would work with steam in home streaming too, that could be awesome :v:

That would have been great about 150 hours ago. Where I going now there is only mindless charioting and prayers to the RNG god. I think I might actually prefer crafting.

waah fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 1, 2014

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

waah posted:

That would have been great about 150 hours ago. Where I going now there is only mindless charioting and prayers to the RNG god. I think I might actually prefer crafting.

Said RNG god bows before the power of cheats as well, and save games can be moved :ssh:

Just depends on if you enjoy that 'gameplay' I guess, I didn't, so I turned that poo poo to 100% drop. Either way it's 100% drop, but one consumes less of my real life :v:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Yay sidequests! I savescummed my way through pretty much everything to get my titles. Now I'm burned out on this game and playing FFX HD. :smith: I'll come back to it eventually.

Staticpulse
Nov 1, 2010

Herein I have explained the operation of the sun.
Some notes about sidequests:

1. Minimum level of 20. I forget what level we are in this LP, but most people are probably around level 15 by this point. These fights are hard/annoying even on equal level and equipment footing with the enemies, never mind a five level difference. If you grind, you make the main game a snoozefest since those enemies stay at a static level and you end up being over-leveled for the fights.

2. Small timeframes. There are a few quests that continue all through this chapter, so you have to constantly be checking the Warren Report and traveling everywhere to activate the scenes necessary to continue or begin various sidequests. I think one or two scenes aren't even mentioned in the Warren Report, so have fun finding those without a guide! Some things are also route dependent.

3. Rewards. You get new classes and new characters, so if you want to use them you need to grind even more. If you don't mind doing that, great! If you do, well, you don't get much else.

Since you don't get anything critical from sidequests, feel free to ignore them completely or put them off until NG+.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Neurion posted:

It was nice of them to let Lanselot keep his armor throughout the torture :unsmith:
Ah, it's additional torture! Think about the weight and the way the straps would rub after weeks (?) of wearing them without a break.

Neurion posted:

Brantyn and Vyce plotted to assassinate Duke Ronwey and Lanselot Tartaros to eliminate the leadership of the Walister and the Dark Knights, ostensibly to wrest control of the isles in one fell swoop. Vyce cocked it up big time because he underestimated how much of a badass Tartaros is. Fleeing back to Brantyn was a fatal mistake, as in order to save face, Brantyn denied any involvement in their plot, placed all the blame on Vyce, and had him executed.
Also I'm like a month late, but thanks for explaining this so well.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The opening narration is actually kind of hilarious. "The people were so scared of the Dark Knights being revealed as incompetent dicks that the Dark Knights being slightly more competent dicks was a welcome development."

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Glazius posted:

The opening narration is actually kind of hilarious. "The people were so scared of the Dark Knights being revealed as incompetent dicks that the Dark Knights being slightly more competent dicks was a welcome development."

Anything worth doing is worth doing well... even dickery.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's really cool of Kain to take a break from being the immortal vampire emperor of Nosgoth to give us a lesson on Valerian history. Props to the guy.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Update 44: Father To Son

Hello, everyone. It's been awhile. We started chapter 4 last time and got hit with a plot dump. Everyone in Valeria now knows that Catiua is the dynast-king's daughter, and the Dark Knights are backing her for some reason. We learned this when Lanselot Tartaros (the bad Lans) was gloating over Lanselot Hamilton (the good one) about it. Also, the Dark Knight's have Lanselot H. chained up in a dungeon and their not letting him go any time soon.

As for us, we decided to go to Brigantys Castle because a bunch of religious zealots have occupied it.

But first, we have a surprise mandatory battle.

You will pay for your crimes against Galgastan with your life!

Great another Galgastani. So, I'm going to be honest not a lot happens in this fight.

To sum it up. We used a couple of the surviving octopi as mobile platforms to springboard ourselves over the river. Then, Denam stabbed the target in the back.

Turns out he wasn't too happy about taking a knife in the back.

Oh, well.

Congratulations

Now, nothing is stopping us from entering Brigantys Castle. Except for the outer walls, that is.

Last time here we went to the north, so this time let's go south.

Brigantys is well guarded.

Denam tries to negotiate.
I want no bloodshed, nor do I intend harm upon any of your followers.

But fails.

Why come attended by soldiers and bearing arms if you truly want no bloodshed?

I am true to my word, but if you attack, we will be forced to defend ourselves!

We do not fear death, for the Great Father will receive our souls. But for those who abandon faith for the fist, only hell awaits!

Wait a second... didn't Denam say something stupid about getting past Brigantys's guard last update.

Denam posted:

It's worth a shot. Also, look at the weather icon. It's a snowman!

No equipment: check.

Denam all by himself: check.

Take 2.

Much better.

Don't your recognize me? I've come for an audience with your high priest.

I don't care much for your tone!

Steady there! That's Denam of Golyat you're talking to.

What!?

I am unarmed. I mean no ill will.

I'll be the judge of that. How do I know you don't have half a dozen soldiers with you?

This is a cool dude.

I knew you were always their man!

Those are fightin' words.

A grave insult.

Hello, woman with a familiar looking sprite and oddly large forehead.

You wish to meet with our leader, Abuna Prancet? Come this way.

Yes, your father is here.

I don't understand.

Please, we must hurry. There isn't much time.

What do you mean?

What!?

When we discovered him in the corpsevale near Heim, he lacked even the strength to stand.

What place is this "vale"?

It is a small cavern where those afflicted with incurable disease or plague are kept.

Plague...

We did all we could to save him, but his condition only worsens.

At this point it would be more surprising if they didn't.

He was tortured, yes, and made to quaff a vile draught meant to loosen the lips...and the mind.

Father...

They both head into the castle.

It's about my sister, isn't it?

Catiua... is not your sister, as you know. She is the last remnant of Dorgalua's line... the Princess Versalia Oberyth.

Catiua's mother was one of the Queen's handmaidens... a girl named Mannaflora.

Flashback time.

I am dismayed! Do you not know you're the only one in this castle to whom I can confide my heart, Mannaflora?

...The more your betrayal cuts to the quick. Did you think me blind?

Forgive me!

*Slap!*

Your forgiveness, I beg you!

Forgive you!? I might as soon strangle you, you... You will serve me for the rest of your days, Mannaflora. Do you understand? My slave, till you die!

Mannaflora then rubs her stomach in an obvious "look at me, I am pregnant" motion.

Wait... surely you are not with child!

The Queen charges at Mannaflora.

Nothing suspicious here. Nope, not at all.

Now for flashback 3 of 3.

The young papa Prancet Pavel enters holding a baby.

Prancet just shakes his head.

I feared as much. The strain was too much for her delicate heart to bear. So... that is Versalia.

It was his Highness's wish to have his daughter named so.

We should tell him. He will want to know.

Then, what should I do with the child?

Keep her. You lost a child recently... Catiua, was it? Raise this one in her stead.

As my own flesh and blood?

Yes. For her sake, and the good of Valeria.

But how...

I am sure you will find a way. Ah, I have something for you.

Brantyn hands over some plot items.

Take these necklaces. They should fetch a good price.

What? Where are these from?

They were a gift from his Highness, to celebrate the birth of his child. He intended that the blue be given to a prince, the red to a princess.

But... I could not sell these!

You will need money if you're to raise a child. And a princess, besides. You and I both grew up commons. You know what it is to need. What we must do...

As a general rule it's never good to trust someone who doesn't look at you when they talk.

End flashback.

See what I mean.

He used his knowledge of Mannaflora and the girl to advance his position within the church.

I... erred, Denam, when the king passed away. Had I only offered up Catiua then, this war might never have come to pass. But I... I couldn't let her go.

I had no idea...

The Dark Knights have searched long and hard for Catiua. But not to make her sovereign of Valeria. They pursue another purpose.

You know this purpose?

Yes... her crowning ceremony was for show...

What legacy? Some sort of artifact?

I do not know what it is... Only that it rests with the King. Now that they have Catiua... they seek the tomb.

And my sister knows where it is?

No...she knows nothing. Yet her role is vital. Only one who shares the Dynast-King's blood can undo the seal upon the tomb.

They're using her.

Yes, and when she has... fulfilled her purpose... they'll - *cough*

Father, you must rest!

Listen to me, Denam! You must save Catiua. You are the only one who can. You can lead her to her rightful destiny... Do this for us... for Valer- *cough*

Find Mreuva! He... was once Archiereus in our order... He can help you.

:eng101: Archiereus is Greek for bishop.

Say no more, father. You must conserve your strength!

Know it is not about -you-. Become a stone along the path to our salvation. You must look with clear eyes, Denam! Make the right choice! Lead us along the true path...make our way... Do this... only this...

You mustn't talk. You must rest!

Sometime later, Denam and Olivya are standing around in the castle hall.

:smith:

There is something else you must know.

Can it not wait?

No... It concerns you and the regent, Brantyn.

What?

Brantyn's my uncle!? Then who am I?

Me? Bakram?

Please, good sir. Calm. Think back. When you were quite young, you resided with Abuna Prancet in the royal city of Heim.

Sibyl... you lie!

I wish it were so, but I speak true. As a child, you oft played on the grounds of Archiereus Mreuva's villa.

Denam isn't taking any of this well.

You spent your days in play with Mreuva's four daughters there...

...Go on.

You were closest to the girl who shared your birth year... One day, as you played by the water, this girl wandered too deep and began to drown.

How do you know that?

But... but that was my sister who was drowning... No, she saved me... I remember...

She shows off her stylish head scar.

It... was you?

It was my eldest sister, Cerya, who fished us out.

Hey, we know that name. She's in our party.

How is this possible?

I am the daughter of Mreuva, who was once Archiereus of Philaha.

You can. You must, Denam. You are who you were born to be.

Now, stand, Denam! What you are, who you are, has no bearing on who you will become! Surely you did not dream of a kingdom for one people only? Remember your father's words!

It matters only how I live, what I achieve. Thank you, Sibyl Olivya.

I am pleased. You are the Denam I remember.

Oh, yeah. Those two.

Cerya, Cistina! How I rejoiced to see you again.

I guess they would like to see their sister.

...I know not where father is.

How is that possible? You were with him!

He... blamed himself for your departure from the Order. His days were spent locked in his quarters, though I believe his heart wandered elsewhere. When he did leave the castle, on the night the Dark Knights attacked Rhime, he never returned.

It is a place of worship to Ishtar, Goddess of Light. Father studied there in his youth. If he has left the Order, he has slipped from his faith. he would go there to find direction. I am sure of it.

You may be right. And you believe him to be there now?

Let us pray I am.

We got our next objective.

That's right. There were four of you, weren't there.

Cerya!

Cerya doesn't even wait for the news to sink in before she leaves.

I fear it is, Olivya. After leaving the order, Sherri surrendered herself to the Bakram. She serves as Brantyn's right hand now.

My sister... My sister.

With that the scene and more importantly all the talking has ended. Since both Cerya and Cistina are optional characters that last part can play out a few different ways. All the possible variations end with whoever is preset brainstorming to figure out Mreuva's current whereabouts. It's nice that the thought about it though.

:toot:

Before we end the update let's make sure to give Denam back his stuff. Including his half of the plot necklaces mentioned in the flashback. He's been wearing since the start of the game. No reason to change now (except for the fact that we have better accessories at this point, but whatever). If you look at his portrait you can see it around his neck. It was more noticeable on his previous picture, though. Also note that Denam's clan has been changed to Bakram.

Warren Report

Sherri Phoraena
Olivya Phoraena
Mreuva Phoraena
Prancet Pavel

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Denam's expression has been stoic through everything that's befallen him. The massacre, Vyce's betrayal, Catiua going to the Dark Knights, he's kept his face straight.

For the first time, we see Denam overcome with emotion. The only loss he can't handle is the loss of family.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Denam's expression has been stoic through everything that's befallen him. The massacre, Vyce's betrayal, Catiua going to the Dark Knights, he's kept his face straight.

For the first time, we see Denam overcome with emotion. The only loss he can't handle is the loss of family.

Of all of Denam's portraits, this one somehow seems the most.. youthful? We may or may not wind up seeing it again. I say leave the dialogue options in that future scene up to the thread.

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

^^^^^^^
That's the plan.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The king must have been out of his drat mind to cheat on a sweet looking wife like that. Now we know where Catiua got the stupid genes from.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

A) Nice new avatar Helmet10
B) I know it took you a lot of work, but the portrait of the battle with Denam about to stab the dude in the back is loving amazing. Seriously, if you just did these for non consequential battles I'd be all about it. Even some of the really boring story battles.

C) Welcome back, always a pleasure to see a new update.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Things gettin' soap opera.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm amazed that there's actually two ways to get into the castle in here.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
There's a third possible scene if you come alone and armed too, I think.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Wow, that's a lot of plot twists to drop on a guy in the space of a single cutscene.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Wow. Learned a lot of stuff about the game this update... Going alone and unequipped seems almost too obvious, but I don't think I've ever seen that work in practice before.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That go unequipped and without anybody might just be one of the smartest things a strategy game has done to mesh gameplay and story.

Im quickly warming up to the Ogre series. Matsuno should have been more appreciated by Square.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That go unequipped and without anybody might just be one of the smartest things a strategy game has done to mesh gameplay and story.

Even better, the game gives you custom titles for going unarmed or armed, so even if you don't figure it out via reading the in game dialogue, the txt from the title basically tells you that you could have done it a different way. It's really clever how subtle this whole section is.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Im quickly warming up to the Ogre series. Matsuno should have been more appreciated by Square.

I remember doing that in the original PS1 release (which was a port I know but shut up) and my cousin was warning me that it was kind of a pain in the rear end fight, and I was just like "There's a fight? I just walked up alone and naked and they were like sweet come in". Really burned his rear end.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I once went in alone but equipped, having forgotten to take all my armor off.. and found out my most recent save was several battles in the past. That wasn't fun.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
As clever as this last bit is, I still think it's hilarious that an unarmed Denim will get attacked here for having the audacity to show up wearing pants.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Rollersnake posted:

As clever as this last bit is, I still think it's hilarious that an unarmed Denim will get attacked here for having the audacity to show up wearing pants.

perhaps they're disciples of Doan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I really enjoyed Abuna Prancet's last words, stressing that it isn't about Denam. This isn't some destiny bullshit, it's just about doing the right thing for the country. Denam is the right man for the job because he chose to be the right man for the job :unsmith:

Well, more like bumbled his way around until the tools to be the right man for the job fell into his hands because this is the Chaos Route and the Chaos Route kind of sucks but same difference.

• Locked thread