Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Oh how I've missed you old friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Don't do math, kids.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Kubera chapters 82 & 83 are out.

On the one hand, I'm all :ohdear: because I like Yuta and don't want to see him get filleted.

On the other hand, I'm all :ohdear: because Kasak's fears are clearly all entirely justified, holy poo poo, calm the gently caress down Yuta.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

The puberty is hitting Yuta hard.

Bernardo Orel fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 3, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Time for some more martial arts hell author monologue hell.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yuta is cute as hell, but you can tell being half-evil clan of an already evil race is making him a little nuts. I'm hoping that somehow it all works out because I really like him.

Oh, also, The Breaker 154 is out, and glasses guys still is being a dick.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Not sure if you guys have been keeping up with The God of Highschool or not, but it's still pretty insane.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

RatHat posted:

Not sure if you guys have been keeping up with The God of Highschool or not, but it's still pretty insane.

I keep forgetting to read it but I guess that's what you get. :stare:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They literally ran out of people to fight in the real world so they had to move to Asian Myth World to find new people to fight. GoHS is great.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 6, 2014

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Out of curiosity is there a translation of 0.0Mhz in English? It is a pretty decent (although IMO not very scary) horror manhwa. The main character starts a webchat/channel to investigate weird sleep paralysis/ghost related experiences they have had. The investigation follows along traditional "do dumb things in a horror movie" pattern :iiam:

Art style is pretty decent although it makes it look like everyone is about to explode ala the dude at the end of Total Recall:

Apologies for Chinese translation version.

Original in Korean: http://cartoon.media.daum.net/webtoon/view/mhz

It's up to 35 chapters, Chinese translation up to 24.

Wookie Bouquet fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 7, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh hey, 0.0Mhz.

It's strange how I knew which webtoon you were talking about from the description, though that might be cause it's one of the few webtoons I've read. Didn't realize there even was a second season. Guess I should get to reading it even though I remember jack poo poo about the first season.

EDIT: The ending is sorta disappointing and rushed, and the author is forced to explain a lot of the plot stuff in the afterword. Also probably not gonna be a third season.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 7, 2014

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

EDIT: The ending is sorta disappointing and rushed, and the author is forced to explain a lot of the plot stuff in the afterword. Also probably not gonna be a third season.

Ah that sucks. Has the other done anything else of note?

Also what exactly is the deal with webtoons, they get funded for seasons? Is this a Korean thing?

Wookie Bouquet fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 8, 2014

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Also what exactly is the deal with webtoons, they get funded for seasons? Is this a Korean thing?

I highly doubt it, considering there's not a standard 'season' size. To the best of my knowledge, Naver is a portal that pays its Artists for their views and ratings; similar, I imagine, to being a Youtube partnet.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Afterschool War Activity ended today with chapter 50. It leaves a lot open to the imagination, but thematically, I think it accomplished what it set out to. I'd recommend it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I dunno what happened to Odd Squad translations, but hopefully they or someone else picks up Cheese in the Trap again. There must be a helluva backlog at this point.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Ah that sucks. Has the other done anything else of note?

According to the Daum Webtoon page for the author, no, that's his only work, but it's also his debut work. It should be noted that it went on from 2012 to the end of 2013. First season was from August 2012 to November 2012, and second season was from July 2013 to December 2013. The afterword for the first season says he also has something else he is / was working on, but while talking over the script for that work with his editor, he mentioned that he had a story that he could write right away, that story being 0.0MHz. The editor dude liked it, so the author got started on that. Since that's over, the author's next release might be the script he was going over with his editor?

I'm not really sure, though I guess it differs depending on the artist? Like, how notable they are and poo poo? I remember reading on one of The Breaker's break announcements where the author said that he didn't like taking a week off, not only because he let the readers down but also because it meant he didn't get paid, so I think it'd be safe to assume that in the case of The Breaker, they're paid when they get a chapter out?

I remember my sister telling me about Naver and Daum webtoons sometime last year, and she told me that while Naver pays better, Daum offers you a better chance for a movie deal and poo poo. The most famous Korean webtoon artist is probably Kang Full and I know that he's had at least 2 webtoons made into movies (and Wikipedia says 6 of them have been made). Dude's pretty amazing; I've only read three of his webtoons: Love Story, Lamp Shop and Every Moment of Your Life and I'm always blown away by how, even though they're different genres (Love Story is a romance, Lamp Shop is horror and Every Moment is zombie) he never fails to move me. Kang Full is seriously amazing.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

It's time for some martial arts hell, mother fuckers.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

InShaneee posted:

Afterschool War Activity ended today with chapter 50. It leaves a lot open to the imagination, but thematically, I think it accomplished what it set out to. I'd recommend it.

Seconding this. Same author did Annarasumanara, 3 Level Combination, and God of Bath. Good stuff.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

j4on posted:

Seconding this. Same author did Annarasumanara, 3 Level Combination, and God of Bath. Good stuff.

Oh! Well poo poo, why didn't you say so? That's an automatic buy for me. Guy's got the Midas Touch.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Since the original thread fell into archives...

Who's up for crushing desperation (Can't see can't hear but love)Ch 76?

loving president.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.

Captain Invictus posted:

I dunno what happened to Odd Squad translations, but hopefully they or someone else picks up Cheese in the Trap again. There must be a helluva backlog at this point.

They're still scanlating it, just in a more unconventional way in order to preserve the views the author gets on Naver.

http://www.oddsquad.org/p/cheese-in-trap.html

Just follow the instructions and read away.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BrilliantFool posted:

They're still scanlating it, just in a more unconventional way in order to preserve the views the author gets on Naver.

http://www.oddsquad.org/p/cheese-in-trap.html

Just follow the instructions and read away.

I know that. I meant what had happened to their crew since they hadn't updated their site in months, but it's good to see they've put a couple new ones up at least.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I started reading Priest again and it's still one of my favorite manhwas. If you're into horror, supernatural and western or spaghetti western, you'll enjoy this, so I really recommend it. It's still not fully translated yet as far as I'm aware, but I'm still getting through it.

I'm digging Noblesse so far, though I don't consider myself a fan. Shojou action vampire stories may be dime a dozen to most people, but there's a certain level of charm to this and the action is entertaining.

The chapters are short and there is good pacing and there's some decent variety enough that it doesn't make you feel lost. Things move fast and the authors are not afraid to kill and introduce new characters and concepts to keep things fresh. The lore is fairly bare bones, but enough to keep you hooked and actually giving a poo poo (unless you're a hardcore White Wolf Vampires fan, you'll be kinda bored). Vampires, Warewolves and Kindred, teaming up with an evil scientist to take over the world is pretty cool, I guess. I also like the fact that fillers are short and there's no stalling, which keeps it interesting. If a fight takes more than two chapters to conclude, I tend to turn off immediately, unless it involves a dynamic background to minor characters actually getting something significant done. That's my personal preference, but I'm just emphasizing the point that things happen with good pacing here.

The problem I have with this manhwa is that some characters subscribe to archetypes instead of personalities, making them insufferable and boring, while some get fleshed out as the series goes on, like the 3K team and younger vampires and Frank. The character who probably suffers most from this is the Noblesse himself and he's supposed to be the main character. By the time the mysteries of your character have been revealed, it's time to make him more interesting. He does shine during the more important battle, but he keeps going back to the same old silent protagonist archetype afterwards. Caine he is not. Also, the children got a bit sidetracked in later chapters despite being so important to the main character, though it's understandable because the plot is advancing and more important stuff is happening.

Overall a fun read that I don't mind checking out every time it updates and it does so regularly, like Tower of God. Something to pass the time with till the next Berzerk chapter is out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is Kubera actually any good? I've read the first three chapters and it seems like it's incredibly stupid and bland. The art and designs are terrible, too.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Since the original thread fell into archives...

Who's up for crushing desperation (Can't see can't hear but love)Ch 76?

loving president.

In an shocking, surprising and entirely life-threatening swerve, A chapter of Can't See Can't Hear Can't Love late into its run ends with a ray of hope instead of extinguishing it. It even makes me hope a little!

Still super duper sad though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Is Kubera actually any good? I've read the first three chapters and it seems like it's incredibly stupid and bland. The art and designs are terrible, too.

The main story is dumb as hell and incredibly slow. The character work is pretty good, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

The main story is dumb as hell and incredibly slow. The character work is pretty good, though.

Yeah, the draw is definitely the characters and their arcs and not the plot. It's also pretty good at hinting that things will pay off in a big way later, which I think is making me rate it much higher than the immediate moment-to-moment action warrants.

Invictus, the opening arc is egregiously bad, and thing will pick up after that, but it hits a sort of middling plateau phase pretty quickly and improvement from then on is glacial. If you're not digging it by the point she gets the bracelet and the little white haired kid shows up (being as vague as possible here to avoid spoilers), I think you can safely drop it. Later parts are better but it would take you forever to get there.

For what it's worth, I've been enjoying it a lot more than ToG since ToG's tournament arc started. (Yet more proof that tournament arcs are never not the worst.)

EDIT: Re: the art; it's terrible, but all webtoon art is loving godawful, tbh. It's the really flat colouring everything has, makes it look like a bad children's cartoon. :smith:

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 16, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
The main things that interest me about Kubera are the characterization and the way it hints at both the future and the past. But those don't really show themselves until further in than three chapters. I agree it doesn't necessarily make the best initial impression. And it's the kind of story where you reread and go "Wait, isn't that connected to that thing later on?"

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, the draw is definitely the characters and their arcs and not the plot. It's also pretty good at hinting that things will pay off in a big way later, which I think is making me rate it much higher than the immediate moment-to-moment action warrants.

Yeah, pretty much what this guy's saying.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 16, 2014

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So I know The Breaker: NW has fallen off in popularity here, but for those still following, does anyone feel like S.U.C. is about to lure all of the Murim into that arena and pull some (reverse?) Veritas poo poo?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Voted Worst Mom posted:

So I know The Breaker: NW has fallen off in popularity here, but for those still following, does anyone feel like S.U.C. is about to lure all of the Murim into that arena and pull some (reverse?) Veritas poo poo?

I dunno about fallen off in popularity... Just that the last 4 chapters or so have gone back to advancing the original plot instead of having Elder Kwon going Jedi on everything.

And yeah, I think that is what's going to happen. I feel like they are setting up the master vs student fight but it seems way too early for it. Interested to see how it shakes out.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hah, last night I had actually gone back to the start of Kubera and was like "How did I ever keep going with this?!"
I legitimately like it a lot now though, one of my current favorites.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Kubera is merely all right but it's been good at building up its character arcs as everyone else has already said. The world lore and mythology is interesting though albeit a bit confusing without some knowledge of Hindu mythology. The plot does move at a glacial pace though so it takes a while for interesting things to actually happen.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yeah it's good despite its flaws but the first couple of chapters are just terrible.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Also a lot of the plot comes from people refusing to talk to each other. I can think of like... seven or eight major plotlines that could have been avoided if people knew how to talk to one another. Everyone in it besides Ran are autistic as gently caress when it comes to interacting with each other.

Even Ran caused a big issue when he refused to tell one of the characters that a spell cast on her was meant to kill her, because he was afraid of her being scared. Which lead to her running away until her time limit was nearly up, and barely surviving.

I mean some of the characters are neat and interesting, but the plot is horrible.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Also a lot of the plot comes from people refusing to talk to each other. I can think of like... seven or eight major plotlines that could have been avoided if people knew how to talk to one another. Everyone in it besides Ran are autistic as gently caress when it comes to interacting with each other.

Even Ran caused a big issue when he refused to tell one of the characters that a spell cast on her was meant to kill her, because he was afraid of her being scared. Which lead to her running away until her time limit was nearly up, and barely surviving.

I mean some of the characters are neat and interesting, but the plot is horrible.

I keep reading for the future teases they show of Leez, because the reason she stopped aging wasn't due to her imminent death but because she came into the power of her name and was essentially one of the gods, or whatever. Those future teases are just so cool, she seems so bitter in the future but like she is more powerful than all the other characters and about to wreck some people.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I still don't get what the hell the main plot is supposed to be, though. All of the sura are looking for Kubera's name at the behest of the god formerly known as Kubera. The sura are cooperating for a variety of reasons. But, old-Kubera has known about Leez for most of the manwha. He seems perfectly content to let Leez run around and do her own thing. Why is the search and attempted destruction of all human civilization still continuing? Whatever the power of the name even consists of, old-Kubera was capable of making a portal from the sura realm which isn't supposed to be possible any more. In other words, he is still very much a god, and what's more he lacks Agni's dependence on a host. If he wanted to stop all the bullshit he probably could.

It seems less like an intentional mystery and more like the author didn't think it through very well.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

I still don't get what the hell the main plot is supposed to be, though. All of the sura are looking for Kubera's name at the behest of the god formerly known as Kubera. The sura are cooperating for a variety of reasons. But, old-Kubera has known about Leez for most of the manwha. He seems perfectly content to let Leez run around and do her own thing. Why is the search and attempted destruction of all human civilization still continuing? Whatever the power of the name even consists of, old-Kubera was capable of making a portal from the sura realm which isn't supposed to be possible any more. In other words, he is still very much a god, and what's more he lacks Agni's dependence on a host. If he wanted to stop all the bullshit he probably could.

It seems less like an intentional mystery and more like the author didn't think it through very well.

You should probably spoil that poo poo. But:

I think, if you read it carefully, there are hints that Kubera-that-talks-to-Leez and Kubera-that-leads-the-Sura are not in fact the same being, or are two separate and unreconciled facets of that being. My current theory is that Kubera-talking-to-Leez is actually an external manifestation of the power of the name that Leez possesses. This is based mostly on... the sword-test arc in the current city? Especially the conversation he and Leez have when she wakes up after the fight. I'm not sure, I'd have to re-read the whole thing to check.

Actually, this might have been talked about upthread. I can't remember. :v:

But, to be honest, I don't think we know enough about names and the particular metaphysics of the setting to say whether it's bad plotting or not. It's sure as hell presented like an intentional mystery, though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Pretty sure the author has said that the main story was already written out in advance. How well is unknown of course. We'll see at some point I guess!

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

KittyEmpress posted:

I can't really speak in specific (it would help if you named those major plotlines), but that's somewhat of a problem, yes. Though many of them have reasons for that. Asha in particular, she has issues. Boy does she have issues, big flaming ones. And she even gets called out on her treatment of Leez. At least a number of problems seem to be arising from Leez getting babied because she was raised in a village without even getting to go to school, so she doesn't know anything. But that's the exact opposite of what she needs--she isn't really that stupid, she'll learn if given the chance. Ran's offer to take Leez off Asha's hands might give her that chance.

Edit: And I'm beginning to become sick of autistic getting used as an insult for every single instance of maladjusted behavior, including ones not even specific to autistic people.

Mindblast posted:

Pretty sure the author has said that the main story was already written out in advance. How well is unknown of course. We'll see at some point I guess!

Complete down to exactly how many chapters there will be and what every one will be about. She showed a cropped (to avoid spoilers of future storylines) pic of the outline she sent to Naver.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Complete down to exactly how many chapters there will be and what every one will be about. She showed a cropped (to avoid spoilers of future storylines) pic of the outline she sent to Navel.

I hope this is auto correct because it will be amazing if so