Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

(Thanks to our friend Courtney Stevens for the artwork.)

10/14/14
Part 41

---

Back by popular demand! Like a Digimon, this thread can never truly die; it can only be reborn in a new, more powerful form. We've returned to this obtuse motherfucker of a game after a year away. Luckily, digi-parenting is like riding a bike. And by that, I of course mean that you forget everything and need the internet to remind you.

---

Digital Monster, or Digimon, was Bandai's boy-targeted follow up to their massively successful Tamagotchi virtual pet. Just like Tamagotchi, Digimon was an electronic keychain toy with three buttons and an LCD screen that could display various monsters. If fed and cared for properly, these virtual pets would thrive and evolve into higher forms of digital life. If neglected, they would languish and die. Over and over and over again.

Where Digimon differed from Tamagotchi was the ability to connect two of the keychains together to allow the creatures inside to fight each other, a feature advertised in America as (get ready for this) "Dock 'n Rock technology." Yes.

From these cockfighting keychain toys came Digimon World for the Sony Playstation. It retained all of the creature raising simulation elements and branching evolutionary paths of the original virtual pet toy and placed them into the world of an RPG adventure game. Players travel across File Island making friends, vanquishing foes, and ensuring that all of their digimon buddy's excrement lands safely in a toilet.

Also, there's a meat farm.

Youtube Playlist

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 36.5
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41

---

@sbiblin posted:

capslocksaurus posted:

Astroduck posted:

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I'm at the part where the disc wouldn't load, and I wanted to post.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I actually think HerculesKabuterimon is the best, because it's technically a Mega level (but an ultimate in this game), was hidden in the games PRIMA OFFICIAL STRATEGY GUIDE, and no one had a real idea how to get it until Orange Fluffy Sheep's LP where they looked at the game's code to figure out the requirements.

But I'm glad to see this back! Hopefully you guys get farther than my 5 year old self ever could (I already think you have)

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Oh right, I forgot all about that whole deal with HerculesKabuterimon. But speaking of the Prima guide.... Is that any good? I feel like no one's ever told us to get it, so it can't possibly be, but is it? Anyone know?

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

19LettersLong posted:

Oh right, I forgot all about that whole deal with HerculesKabuterimon. But speaking of the Prima guide.... Is that any good? I feel like no one's ever told us to get it, so it can't possibly be, but is it? Anyone know?

I feel like any info in there would just be in the online guides, right?

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I didn't realize this game was made before the cartoon. When I was a kid I always wondered why it was so different. They still managed to make a pretty cool world for the game.

It would be cool to do a Monster Rancher game in the style of this game: where you have your main guy and the monster follows you around while you explore the Monster Rancher world and go find different tournaments and towns and stuff. One thing this and (the first couple) Monster Ranchers had is the difficulty. I never really got even as far as you in this game, but I wonder if it has lots of little cool secrets to find just like Monster Rancher 2.

Love those old games that didn't hold your hand.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MentholsNBeer posted:

Love those old games that didn't hold your hand.

This is probably why I liked Digimon World 2 better. I'd be curious to hear how K&K feel about DW2, though.

MentholsNBeer posted:

Monster Rancher

Dammit, now I want to see them play Monster Rancher.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

19LettersLong posted:

It's certainly better than flying blind, but it took people years to figure out how this crazy game worked for a reason. You're better off with GameFAQs.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that was impressive timing. This just popped into my head for no apparent reason the other day. Something about lemons.

Also I hope you did decide to go for Skullgreymon in the end. He fires missiles out of his spine, you see.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is probably why I liked Digimon World 2 better. I'd be curious to hear how K&K feel about DW2, though.
I definitely want to try it someday, but I'm fully expecting to hate it for not just being 'Digimon World 1 but less hosed.'

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

McDragon posted:

Well that was impressive timing. This just popped into my head for no apparent reason the other day. Something about lemons.

Also I hope you did decide to go for Skullgreymon in the end. He fires missiles out of his spine, you see.

But he's the evil digivolution! :ohdear:

19LettersLong posted:

I definitely want to try it someday, but I'm fully expecting to hate it for not just being 'Digimon World 1 but less hosed.'

DW2 is a fine game in my opinion, but it has a totally different charm than the first. It's not very much at all like the first, which is understandable because I can totally see a developer looking at this game and going "Wow, the gently caress do I do with this?"

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

19LettersLong posted:

Digimon World 2 isn't at all like the first game. It's somewhat closer to a standard RPG, but there's more than enough unique elements that it manages to be its own thing, which is more than can be said for loving Digimon World 3.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Lizard Wizard posted:

Digimon World 2 isn't at all like the first game. It's somewhat closer to a standard RPG, but there's more than enough unique elements that it manages to be its own thing, which is more than can be said for loving Digimon World 3.

We never got the second one in Europe. So your choice was between Obtuse Mechanics: The Video Game or the biggest grind this side of a Korean MMO.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

We never got the second one in Europe. So your choice was between Obtuse Mechanics: The Video Game or the biggest grind this side of a Korean MMO.

My biggest problem with Digimon World 3, really, is that it looks like this:

despite being released in 2002. The actual combat's in 3D, but it's just so loving cheap. Argh.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

Dammit, now I want to see them play Monster Rancher.

As someone who played MR2 a lot trying to unlock Undine/Niton, good luck with that.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 8, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The art style in Digimon World 3 is actually pretty cool, the problem is the gameplay being extremely boring and grindy. At least the card battle was kind of cool.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Glad to see this is still happening I can only imagine how much of a pain this game is to do a coherent LP of but its awesome when one does come up.

FlapWrap
Feb 17, 2014

A happy chappy
It's pretty great to see you guys doing this again!
I'm pretty glad I still own this game (lost the CD case though) but it's reminded me how I still own Digimon World 3 and Digimon Rumble Arena for some reason.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
Obtuse mechanics or no, this game has always had some form of queer allure that I've not seen in any other title to date. And I don't know why.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And there was a game breaking bug in most European versions of the first game. I was so confused back then, because some character, who blocks a door just wouldn't react to anything.

If you want a guide, Orange Fluffy Sheeps screenshot LP is probably by far the best choice. It's a nice read in general.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
lol your greymon doesnt know how to do poo poo train more scrubs

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I would have just ended the LP at Keith's Urinemon joke.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Voted Worst Mom posted:

lol your greymon doesnt know how to do poo poo train more scrubs

He's got that triple tornado spin thing, does he even need more than that?

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

I ended up marathoning through seasons 1-5 of the show because of this back you guys first started. Good to see it back!

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Not only the grind, it takes about five minutes for each encounter to show up to allow you to grind.

I think Digimon World 2 was a rouge-like or at least in floor structure with a Persona battle system. I never played it, I just wasted all of my time with World 3.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Blue Ghost posted:

I think Digimon World 2 was a rouge-like or at least in floor structure with a Persona battle system. I never played it, I just wasted all of my time with World 3.

That's what World 2 was. Pure dungeon crawler with a hub town and turn-based battles. The Digimon raising mechanics were closer to World 3 than to World 1, too.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Screw playing Digimon World 2/3 just play Digimon: Digital Card Battle.
I loved that game.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 8

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
With you telling Greymon how much he sucks all the time, you're well on your way to getting SkullGreymon!

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

You guys were super lucky to learn meltdown.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Personally DW2 had some of the most memorable music. Plus them going the extra mile and adding voiced bits for every attack was kinda nice.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
The translation for Digimon World Re Digitize, the spiritual successor for the original digimon world, will be done in a month or two. It's much less obtuse than the original.

weird
Jun 4, 2012

by zen death robot
i really like digimon and i'm glad this is continuing

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Personally DW2 had some of the most memorable music. Plus them going the extra mile and adding voiced bits for every attack was kinda nice.

That was easily the best thing about that game.

PEPPI BREA-THU!

:vd:

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013
ahhh Digimon World! Not as good as 2, but still!

please tell me you're going to do 2 after!

also FIUH BRUPH! (gotta have greymon)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

stoutfish posted:

The translation for Digimon World Re Digitize, the spiritual successor for the original digimon world, will be done in a month or two. It's much less obtuse than the original.

stoutfish posted:

spiritual successor for the original digimon world ... It's much less obtuse than the original.

stoutfish posted:

It's much less obtuse than the original.

Then it's hardly a spiritual successor, is it? :colbert:

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
I'm at college right now, but at my house I have five broken loving Digimon World 1 disks. Those things are like anti-Gameboys in terms of fragility.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Also note that the US version of the third game lacked the postgame that we got that required doing five obscure fetch quests way before you even know that you need to do it (and if you don't do it, as far as I know you get locked out of it entirely before you reach the final area, let alone the postgame) These fetch quests involves leveling five digimon up to level 45 in a game where you can only have three team members at one. Just getting to level 40 required getting over 60 000 EXP for some digimon in a game where regular enemies only very very rarely give more than 300 EXP. It also requires you to find three NPCs per item and there's no indication where they are.

US version also let you fish endlessly which meant you could just grind with a turbo controller.

The Counter Crest also always works in the US version, turning an already overpowered piece of equipment into a gamebreaking piece of equipment.

I still like Digimon World 3/2003 though, but you really need to fast-forward to play it nowadays. It's basically what would happen if Pokemon met a Final Fantasy-like job system, and the main game doesn't really require that much grinding.

The biggest problem is that like Digimon World you really do need to follow a guide when playing, and the copious backtracking, and the uneven difficulty curve, and... Okay it's mostly nostalgia. I still like the card battle minigame though. :v:

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

RIP Lemon.

• Locked thread