Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Suspicious Dish posted:

There's also a pic of the Season 1 set taken from above. TV magic is excellent. :allears:

Wow even when people close doors it must be really easy to hear them unless they whisper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

Wow even when people close doors it must be really easy to hear them unless they whisper.

Yeah, have to say I'm surprised that the set rooms don't have ceilings.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Ah, here's why the trailer was taken down. I think? It seems that at a recent NATPE event, the rights were sold, or licensed, and there's going to be a Netherlands version of The Genius.

http://program.interest.me/tvn/thegenius2/21/Board/View?b_seq=47 (Google Translate)

So here's two more sites to poke around:

http://program.interest.me/tvn/thegenius
http://program.interest.me/tvn/thegenius2

There's plenty of data to mine through in these four.

EDIT: lol an internet petition to cancel the show after Doohee got hosed with.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 6, 2014

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I had no idea there was a TVIV thread for this! I watched it over a month ago, but S2 and specifically the hidden idol definitely seemed like a letdown compared to S1, Sangmin holding effective immunity for as long as he did ended up being super lame, especially since it took so much camera time away from new people like Yooyoung. Jinho going out to a virtual coinflip was pretty disappointing too. Here's hoping for a S3 with an all new cast (unless they bring like Hongchul back, that would be cool)

I could also live with Kyungran coming back and destroying a ton of people, she's like the best.

E:

Rarity posted:

The constant use of Moby ~ Extreme Ways every time a major twist happens is one of my favourite things about the show :allears:

I use it as a ringtone now because of S1

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

(unless they bring like Hongchul back, that would be cool)

Considering that Hongchul was a major reason why season 2 sucked compared to the first one (i.e. arranging the season spanning broadcaster alliance), I hope that he doesn't come back.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think it was the negative personalities and the fact that Jinho and Sangmin seemed to walk all over everyone strategy-wise that made the season a let down, rather than any particular alliances.

I really liked Hongchul. He was very aware that he was on camera and doing things for the sake of entertaining the audience. I thought he was just a goof at first, but he really displayed a lot of professionalism that I respect.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Asiina posted:

I really liked Hongchul. He was very aware that he was on camera and doing things for the sake of entertaining the audience. I thought he was just a goof at first, but he really displayed a lot of professionalism that I respect.

I dunno, I considered that a huge negative about his character -- well, the fact that he was playing a character at all. In the first season even the broadcasters/entertainers were just pretty chill about the whole thing and that down-to-earth quality made things more fun. Hongchul was just so slick about going for what would be more "entertaining", even restating the rules in nice little soundbites that could be used as cutaways. Also that laugh made me want to murder him.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I liked when he threw those dice.

And I kinda wish he played something like poker to see what kind of bullshit he'd pull to pass as bluffing.

All in all, despite looking like a total douche Hongchul was mostly an ok guy imo and I agree with Asiina's points. The broadcasters alliance was a thing that was on before he explicitly stated it. I guess it was a consequence of what Sangmin said, that most people approached the second season in a more overly competitive light.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

I guess it was a consequence of what Sangmin said, that most people approached the second season in a more overly competitive light.

No, I mean that Hongchul organised the broadcasters alliance beforehand to make sure it was a thing, not just that he noted it during an episode. So he's almost single-handedly responsible for so many of the games being determined by alliances rather than "genius strategy".

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Oh I didn't catch that, that does sound bad.

But to be fair a lot of the games favored alliances more than individual play so I don't think having the alliance on or not would've changed the fact that the biggest and more organized group would win the games.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I just wish we had gotten to see Jinho execute his infinite red gems plan.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
When did Hongchul organize the broadcaster alliance? I don't remember that.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

When did Hongchul organize the broadcaster alliance? I don't remember that.

He did it before the show started filming, it was a pre-game alliance.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Do you have any reference for that? I watched all the BTS clips and all the episodes and I genuinely don't remember him mentioning that at all.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

Do you have any reference for that? I watched all the BTS clips and all the episodes and I genuinely don't remember him mentioning that at all.

Not on hand, it was the translation of some korean news site that I can't remember the name of. As for him not mentioning it, people on reality tv shows pretty much never mention organising alliances before the game starts. The shows producers certainly never want to show them saying this or acknowledging it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

Not on hand, it was the translation of some korean news site that I can't remember the name of. As for him not mentioning it, people on reality tv shows pretty much never mention organising alliances before the game starts. The shows producers certainly never want to show them saying this or acknowledging it.

Nice!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I'm terribly sorry that I'm not willing to spend hours going through news sites in a language I don't understand in order to find a news article from moths ago.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Shakugan posted:

I'm terribly sorry that I'm not willing to spend hours going through news sites in a language I don't understand in order to find a news article from moths ago.

I think the point is that people in this thread are pretty big fans of the show and you're the first person to mention Hong Chul creating this alliance off-screen, before the show even started, and you're unwilling or unable to provide a source to back it up.

Sorry if no one believes your claims.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
"I read a shittily translated news article from a Korean tabloid magazine once that says he totally formed an alliance. But don't go looking for it, since The Producers and contestants don't want their TV secrets coming out!"

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

"I read a shittily translated news article from a Korean tabloid magazine once that says he totally formed an alliance. But don't go looking for it, since The Producers and contestants don't want their TV secrets coming out!"

I didn't say don't go looking for it, or that you wouldn't be able to find it; you're welcome to. Plus the show not mentioning it isn't evidence of some grand conspiracy, it's standard fare for reality TV. Pregame alliances are very common in Survivor for example, but they are never mentioned in the show itself.

This season had many contestants who knew and had interacted with one another in the past. That they might have organised a pre-game alliance is really not such an outlandish claim. Because of this and having read an article to this effect, I was willing to state that it was true on the internet, without convincing proof that would otherwise take some time to find again (oh my). I'm sure you guys provide bulletproof evidence for every claim you ever make on internet forums, good on you...

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
It's actually mentioned at the taxi program with Gura. At about 32:15 http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1d0mh9

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
In good news, from what I can tell it looks like The Genius format has been sold to The Netherlands:

http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/?p=7937

Be pretty cool if the show could get picked up in more countries.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

MisterZimbu posted:

In good news, from what I can tell it looks like The Genius format has been sold to The Netherlands:

Yeah if that one is a hit, you'd think an english version wouldn't be too far behind.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

MisterZimbu posted:

I just hope they don't copy the games we've already seen in the Korean version. There's a tendency to do this in some reality shows (e.g. international versions of Amazing Race and Survivor replicating tasks from the US version), but this is a show where the enjoyment for those who've seen the games already would be much lower (primarily for those games that have "tricks" that we've already seen discovered).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

MisterZimbu posted:

That's horrible news because the amount of funny and smart Dutch celebs is so incredibly small you wouldn't even be able to fill a single season with them. Even our celebrity quizs grasp so hard people like 'guy who got attacked in France and was in the news once' can participate.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Shakugan posted:

I just hope they don't copy the games we've already seen in the Korean version. There's a tendency to do this in some reality shows (e.g. international versions of Amazing Race and Survivor replicating tasks from the US version), but this is a show where the enjoyment for those who've seen the games already would be much lower (primarily for those games that have "tricks" that we've already seen discovered).

Well yeah that would be stupid, not for the reason you state(because how much of the audience could really be Korean tv viewers), but rather that some of the contestants are bound to check out the Korean version, just to see what its like.

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!

Davincie posted:

That's horrible news because the amount of funny and smart Dutch celebs is so incredibly small you wouldn't even be able to fill a single season with them. Even our celebrity quizs grasp so hard people like 'guy who got attacked in France and was in the news once' can participate.

I don't really watch much Dutch tv, so I thought maybe we got some celebs they could used, but you just dashed my last hopes for this. Still, I'll check out the first episode just so I can gloat about how I saw the original (nobody will give a poo poo). Wonder how long it will take to actually get on tv after being bought.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Carice van Houten and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau are the only Dutch celebrities I can name because...well, you know why.

I doubt they'd be into it, but they seem the intelligent-entertaining level of Genius contestants. It's more about being clever than being book-smart, anyway.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Pretty sure Coster-Waldau is Danish, not Dutch. Not quite the same.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

He played a Dutch guy once on tv so it's close enough really.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Just finished watching Season 2 finale and holy poo poo so glad Sangmin won, it was such a well deserved overall victory because he's really just been on top of everything this season. I felt like the finals themselves were a bit stronger but Genius Game in general seems to have a problem with limpdicked finales. Season 1 had Jinho completely wiping out Kyungran in the end with what felt like no-risk high-reward Gyul calls, Season 2 ended on Quattro, a game that seems like total luck. Still super glad Sangmin won but I still want one satisfying Genius finale.

Argue posted:

The deathmatch with all the cat pictures from season 1 is a game called Dixit, but the real game has much more lavish art in the pictures than just a bunch of memes.

Dixit is actually a really fun game with friends when you're actually playing it like it was meant to be played rather than in Genius Game where it was played mostly according to alliances. I'd recommend it.

I'm thinking of buying a bunch of the home versions of games shown in Genius Game to play with my friends so if anyone has more in addition to what's already been said (Pit, Dixit, Khet etc.) I'd be grateful.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Varam posted:

Pretty sure Coster-Waldau is Danish, not Dutch. Not quite the same.

Oops. Well, they begin and end with the same letters, and I'm pretty sure they border...so...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

They don't and the countries don't start with the same letter.............

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Davincie posted:

They don't and the countries don't start with the same letter.............

Danish/Dutch

Or would you prefer to argue over whether it's Holland or The Netherlands :colbert:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

it's the Netherlands.

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
Pretty sure they both lack mountains and they have a monarchy, so...

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Just started binging on the first season of this show and it's taking me forever to get through episodes because I have to stop after they explain the game rules so I can work out for myself optimal strategies or answers and also I pretty much stop every 20 mins to absorb the fact that someone (usually Sunggyu or Sangmin) is quadruple crossing everyone and getting away with it. I'm curious though, does anyone know if it's possible to buy one of the decks of cards they use in the show? Would love to add it to my collection.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Propaganda Machine posted:

Oops. Well, they begin and end with the same letters, and I'm pretty sure they border...so...

Yeah, the country's called 'Yurop' :psyduck:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
"The Genius 3 will start around Autumn according to one of the PDs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

Awesome news! Thanks for sharing it.