Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

The Mimic posted:

This looks awesome. Are you using a modpack? I haven't tried any of this in over a year and I'm totally blind to what has changed. Toast seems like a pretty inclusive pack, and it has weaponmod, which I remember being cool.

NST Diet is essentially the successor to Toast. There are some other awesome packs, but that's probably the best mix of "regularly sees updates," "has a bit of something for everybody," and "won't crash and delete your saves."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I realize diagnosis from a picture isn't the best thing, but can anyone tell me what's wrong with my initial wag at AE autopulverizing/autosmelting?

Each of the interfaces in the back has a 1 Iron Ore->2 Pulverized Iron pattern in it, and the ones in front have a 1 Pulverized Iron->1 Iron Ingot pattern. They're all pointing in the right direction, and all the pulverizers and furnaces have their I/O set up correctly (input on top, output out the back).

When I tell AE to make me a bunch of iron ingots and put iron ore in the network, it works, but very slowly, only using one (maybe two) pulverizers and furnaces at a time, rather than all five.

What gives? :(

(edit) Maybe it's internet lag related??

(edit again) On a related note, can ME interfaces not export into item ducts? Do I have to use a basic export bus or something?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 8, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Opioid posted:

I would warn you against playing on endeavour then. I should probably be dead from the number of heart attacks I've almost had when people summon a wither somewhere on the server.

Ha, you would have hated the random Wither I found hovering above some sea ~1500 blocks away from spawn. Somebody was lax in cleaning up after themselves.

Ciaphas, try ME Interface -> Chest -> Itemduct w/ Pneumatic Servo set to low power and right-click wrenched to round-robin mode -> bank of Pulverizers/Smelters. I have a feeling the AE system takes the closest recipe for iron processing and the others get ignored.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ciaphas posted:

I realize diagnosis from a picture isn't the best thing, but can anyone tell me what's wrong with my initial wag at AE autopulverizing/autosmelting?

Each of the interfaces in the back has a 1 Iron Ore->2 Pulverized Iron pattern in it, and the ones in front have a 1 Pulverized Iron->1 Iron Ingot pattern. They're all pointing in the right direction, and all the pulverizers and furnaces have their I/O set up correctly (input on top, output out the back).

When I tell AE to make me a bunch of iron ingots and put iron ore in the network, it works, but very slowly, only using one (maybe two) pulverizers and furnaces at a time, rather than all five.

Is there any reason you want to have it craft this manually, instead of just processing all your iron ore right away? You could easily change those to precision export busses and set your ores to be auto-processed.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

(edit again) On a related note, can ME interfaces not export into item ducts? Do I have to use a basic export bus or something?

AE is probably just looking for the first available location to autocraft a thing. It probably can't work in parallel unless you have one interface export to a chest and then have tubes pulling items out of that chest to round-robin them to the pulverizers/furnaces.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just tried the round robin chest idea, and it didn't seem to work.

Mostly the same thing, just seems to roll through one or two of each machine. Tried both stack size 64 and 1 on the itemducts, no dice either way.

Serifina posted:

Is there any reason you want to have it craft this manually, instead of just processing all your iron ore right away? You could easily change those to precision export busses and set your ores to be auto-processed.

Because I Can, mostly :v: Just loving around, trying to learn AE, primarily. I find it really fascinating!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 8, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The thing with AE crafting is that it breaks down your command into discrete steps and performs a substep at a time. If you're processing iron ore, it has the sub-step of converting it into pulverized iron before melting that into ingots. You request 64 ingots but you currently do not have any dust to directly convert, so the AE crafter looks for what makes dust. Then it performs that sub-step once, getting you your two dust. Now there's dust to convert into ingots and it'll push that out to your smelters either using one or two machines (depending on your stack size on the itemduct). Sub-step complete, two ingots are done but there is no more dust! Repeat the cycle.

If you want to use the machines to maximum effectiveness request the dust first then request the ingots once the previous command has been completed.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 8, 2014

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

I just tried the round robin chest idea, and it didn't seem to work.

Mostly the same thing, just seems to roll through one or two of each machine. Tried both stack size 64 and 1 on the itemducts, no dice either way.

Nuts! I thought I was being clever.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's still clever, actually. I have a similar setup on Endeavour that works wonders on single step crafts and auto-processing (using export buses instead of interfaces).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

The thing with AE crafting is that it breaks down your command into discrete steps and performs a substep at a time. If you're processing iron ore, it has the sub-step of converting it into pulverized iron before melting that into ingots. You request 64 ingots but you currently do not have any dust to directly convert, so the AE crafter looks for what makes dust. Then it performs that sub-step once, getting you your two dust. Now there's dust to convert into ingots and it'll push that out to your smelters either using one or two machines (depending on your stack size on the itemduct). Sub-step complete, two ingots are done but there is no more dust! Repeat the cycle.

If you want to use the machines to maximum effectiveness request the dust first then request the ingots once the previous command has been completed.

This is exactly it, yeah, making the dust first then the ingots worked. Don't like having to do it that way, though, think I'ma scrap my setup and start again. Maybe find other people's examples of mass ore processing, or try Mekanism's method and see how troublesome that is. (Basically, once I can make Tesseracts reliably, I want to be able to output directly from my digital miner into my AE network and have it all processed.)

Or maybe I'll jump into Thaumcraft because gently caress if this modpack doesn't have enough to do! :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 8, 2014

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Ciaphas posted:

This is exactly it, yeah, making the dust first then the ingots worked. Don't like having to do it that way, though, think I'ma scrap my setup and start again. Maybe find other people's examples of mass ore processing, or try Mekanism's method and see how troublesome that is. (Basically, once I can make Tesseracts reliably, I want to be able to output directly from my digital miner into my AE network and have it all processed.)

Or maybe I'll jump into Thaumcraft because gently caress if this modpack doesn't have enough to do! :v:

If I'm reading right, the problem is you're thinking about it the wrong way. Instead of having a bunch of ore sitting around all the time until you need it smelted, have your system pulverize and smelt ore as soon as it enters. For your setup, replace the interface unter the chests with an export bus and just have it export all iron ore into the chest to be processed, or just directly into the pulverizers. That way you've got plenty or iron (or whatever) ready when you need it. The downside is that you never have iron ore sitting around (not that you need it, really) unless you have a level emitter disable the bus when iron ore drops below a certain value.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Ciaphas posted:

The way mine (newgoonbase on Diet) is set up is as such:
All ore whose dust does not have a purpose (copper, silver, lead) gets fully processed into Ingots using the Mekanism 3x processing chain.
Ore that has usable dust (tin, iron, gold, osmium) gets processed down to dust form. Then I have a Level Emitter -> Export Bus -> [Ender chest leading to smeltery] that activates when I have more than 128 of [x] dust. That way I have some dust for the not-as-common dust recipes but all the extra gets processed into ingots where they will be more widely used.

Check out what's behind the storage monitors on the east side of newgoonbase. Each one has the same level emitter -> export bus -> [interface or ender chest] and keeps a certain amount of an item in stock. It's great for things that take a lot of processing steps like Basic Processors for AE, or stuff that you'll always need like Redstone Conduits. I even keep a supply of Tesseracts in stock so if you need one real quick you don't have to wait for the Fluid Transposer to fill a frame with liquid Ender.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

It's still clever, actually. I have a similar setup on Endeavour that works wonders on single step crafts and auto-processing (using export buses instead of interfaces).

In that case...

Ciaphas posted:

You could have it do single-step by having all dust auto-export into the furnaces, and have the autocrafting recipe be ore->ingot. So it tosses ores into the pulverizers and gets ingots out eventually, and that's all AE cares about. Or do you need dust sometimes? You could have a level emitter set up in that case to keep the system from exporting all your dusts.
Edit: ah, got beaten on the level emitter front.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Didn't know about level emitters, that's a great idea. I think I'll copy that :v:

God, AE is such a cool mod. :allears:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Didn't know about level emitters, that's a great idea. I think I'll copy that :v:

God, AE is such a cool mod. :allears:

The coolest. It's a shame AE2 was pushed back, its improvements look incredible.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

The coolest. It's a shame AE2 was pushed back, its improvements look incredible.

Gah, it was? Any idea when we'll see it?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So, giving Attack of the B-Team a genuine try, and I'm a little confused as to why it seems to be missing a few major staples, like AE and Bibliocraft.
Far more confusing, however, is that apparently grass can now spread to my chiseled dirt blocks, turning them into regular grass. I suppose this is due to chisel's integration in turning chiseled blocks into subdata for the original blocks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yay, finally built my first two Tesseracts. Miner's cranking away at full tilt and all the ore's being 3x multiplied then unified automatically. I'm sure it's gonna overflow and all shutdown in like an hour, I don't know what to do about stuff that won't go in the mekanism purifier yet (probably a complicated set of itemduct filters), and it's positively pathetic compared to some of the stuff you all have done, but I'm proud of it anyway. :unsmith:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 8, 2014

Pixotic
Jan 14, 2008

He could be in this very room!
He could be
you!
He could be
me!
He could even b:commissar:

The Mimic posted:

This looks awesome. Are you using a modpack? I haven't tried any of this in over a year and I'm totally blind to what has changed. Toast seems like a pretty inclusive pack, and it has weaponmod, which I remember being cool.

Ed: I should clarify. What modpack do people tend to? The ones on the front page are all for older versions of Minecraft. I don't know if the norm is to use some cutting-edge current version stuff or to settle with tried and true older version mods.

Yup, using a custom modpack a Gooncrafter put together and is kindly hosting a server for. It's loosely based on attack of the B-Team with a few replacements and additions (Pam's flowers and magical crops, thaumcraft/thaumic tinkerer, AE and computercraft spring to mind)

If you're interested in joining us, here's the particulars:

Pack: http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/mcvb-pack.302196
Server: vonbraun.sidemoon.net
IRC: #gooncraft on irc.synirc.net

Drop in on IRC and say hi, if I'm around I'll hop on and help you get started.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Ciaphas posted:

Hopefully I am not too late with this, AE recipes work exactly as you set them, so it you switch your 1 ore->2 dust recipe to a 64 ore-> 128 dust you will make big batches of dust at a time and use all those processor more or less on demand.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Serifina posted:

Gah, it was? Any idea when we'll see it?

Algo said he thinks developing it for 1.7 is a waste of time, so he's pushing it back till 1.8 and working on smaller projects.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there any way to set up itemducts from a chest such that one way goes into a mekanism purifier, and anything that can't be purified (aluminum ore, gems, etc) goes to another duct, without simply whitelist filtering everything that can't be purified to the second duct (or blacklisting everything that can't on the first duct, whichever)?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Is there any way to set up itemducts from a chest such that one way goes into a mekanism purifier, and anything that can't be purified (aluminum ore, gems, etc) goes to another duct, without simply whitelist filtering everything that can't be purified to the second duct (or blacklisting everything that can't on the first duct, whichever)?

I might be missing something, but what is wrong with white/blacklisting items?

I think the mek sorting might work for that too, since you don't run out of space in your outputs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

senae posted:

I might be missing something, but what is wrong with white/blacklisting items?

I think the mek sorting might work for that too, since you don't run out of space in your outputs.

Nothing wrong, per se, just a pain in the butt if I ever have to move the machines or ducts. :v:

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Taffer posted:

Algo said he thinks developing it for 1.7 is a waste of time, so he's pushing it back till 1.8 and working on smaller projects.

He should do it for 1.6 in the meantime...

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a particular reason why you aren't importing your digiminer output directly into your AE storage and using export buses to output everything that can be purified? It has the additional benefit of keeping your setup saved if you shift right-click the bus with a wrench.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Ducts will push items in to the closest available and compatible inventory. So if your ore processing stuff is first in line(or you toggle ducts to vacuum,) all your ores will be pushed in there while everything else should go somewhere else. That's assuming if Mekanism stuff is set up to only allow the items that it uses up be automatically placed into it's inventories, which I think it does.

edit: this should also work correctly in with the purifier/crusher/etc if you have your ducts going to each machine in the right order from shortest distance travelled to longest.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 8, 2014

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

Is there a particular reason why you aren't importing your digiminer output directly into your AE storage and using export buses to output everything that can be purified? It has the additional benefit of keeping your setup saved if you shift right-click the bus with a wrench.

Is there any secret to how limited export buses appear to be? There don't appear to even be enough slots for all the ores I want to process (what are there - 10)? Do you just use multiple buses?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Skaw posted:

Ducts will push items in to the closest available and compatible inventory. So if your ore processing stuff is first in line(or you toggle ducts to vacuum,) all your ores will be pushed in there while everything else should go somewhere else. That's assuming if Mekanism stuff is set up to only allow the items that it uses up be automatically placed into it's inventories, which I think it does.

edit: this should also work correctly in with the purifier/crusher/etc if you have your ducts going to each machine in the right order from shortest distance travelled to longest.

I should probably set my stuff up like this too. I have a galley kitchen kind of setup with a 3x Mekanism on one side, and on the other side is a Thermal Expansion pulverizer->furnace rig. I was assuming to use the Thermal Expansion rig for Nether Ores, since it doesn't look like the Mekanism rigs can process them. All I can think going wrong with that is the the factory getting full, and cause regular ores to route to the Thermal Expansion rig. Is there some way I can prevent that?

I was wondering also about induction smelting and bonuses from that. How does one set that up?

Final thing: Can I process stuff like lapis, certus, redstone, and diamonds through this gear?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Taffer posted:

That's disappointing and frustrating. I'm either going to have to find an alternate solution for when I update to 1.7 or wait for 1.8. What frustrates me most is that 1.8 isn't even out yet, so I really don't see the logic in this.

Pixotic
Jan 14, 2008

He could be in this very room!
He could be
you!
He could be
me!
He could even b:commissar:

meatsaw posted:

Is there any secret to how limited export buses appear to be? There don't appear to even be enough slots for all the ores I want to process (what are there - 10)? Do you just use multiple buses?

For ores I have a hybrid system set up where AE supplies a stack of everything pertinent via a bank of ME Interfaces, with project red pipes taking that stuff and feeding it into a chest which then feeds Mek elite factories via... I think more PR pipes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

meatsaw posted:

This is kind of the problem I was having. And more than ten, for sure, since my unifiers are all at the end of ore processing, not the start (I'm on Endeavour, NST: Diet), so there's like a half dozen kinds of copper, for example. (I tried unifiers for the raw ore instead of the ingots, and it didn't really work, but arse if I remember why.)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Ciaphas posted:

This is kind of the problem I was having. And more than ten, for sure, since my unifiers are all at the end of ore processing, not the start (I'm on Endeavour, NST: Diet), so there's like a half dozen kinds of copper, for example. (I tried unifiers for the raw ore instead of the ingots, and it didn't really work, but arse if I remember why.)

Use Fuzzy export buses. Then you can just tell it one kind of copper, and it should get all of them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

meatsaw posted:

Yes, multiple buses are the way to go. You can have up to 5 buses and interfaces surrounding a chest with the last side taken up by an itemduct to push items into your machines.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Saw this on RPS earlier today. Someone's getting ready to kickstart something called "Sticks and Starships," and from looking at their draft kickstarter, it looks like they're basically making Tekkit: the Game.

Looking at their description and screenshots, the core game is modeled heavily off Minecraft, but unlike other minecraft clones, the features and especially the screenshots look strongly reminiscent of some of the more popular tech mods. It's too early and too ambitious for me to get even a little bit excited, but it's something I'm going to keep an eye on.

Quarry

Nuclear Reactor Control

Steam Engines

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Serifina posted:

Use Fuzzy export buses. Then you can just tell it one kind of copper, and it should get all of them.

Well, arse. I thought Fuzzy buses only worried about damage/charge/other meta crap, not ore dictionary matches. That'll certainly do the job--probably only need two, knowing that. Thanks!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Saw this on RPS earlier today. Someone's getting ready to kickstart something called "Sticks and Starships," and from looking at their draft kickstarter, it looks like they're basically making Tekkit: the Game.
Well, if they can ever make it past just copying Creative Mode and actually manage some kind of gameplay they'll instantly beat out about 99% of Minecraft clones and maybe have an audience.

Seriously though it does look good, and the architecture/music/alchemy/power systems look like a lot of fun, especially if the game is actually built around them from the start, rather than tacked on afterwards. I always wondered what Minecraft would be like if those sort of things had been planned as part of the core game, what kind of sweeping changes it could make. Maybe this will show that, if it ever actually gets off the ground.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Looking at their description and screenshots, the core game is modeled heavily off Minecraft, but unlike other minecraft clones, the features and especially the screenshots look strongly reminiscent of some of the more popular tech mods. It's too early and too ambitious for me to get even a little bit excited, but it's something I'm going to keep an eye on.

Hey, when someone finally makes a better optimized minecraft it's a day one purchase.

Well, maybe not day one. Day N, where N is when enough people agree it runs better.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I should probably set my stuff up like this too. I have a galley kitchen kind of setup with a 3x Mekanism on one side, and on the other side is a Thermal Expansion pulverizer->furnace rig. I was assuming to use the Thermal Expansion rig for Nether Ores, since it doesn't look like the Mekanism rigs can process them. All I can think going wrong with that is the the factory getting full, and cause regular ores to route to the Thermal Expansion rig. Is there some way I can prevent that?

I was wondering also about induction smelting and bonuses from that. How does one set that up?

Final thing: Can I process stuff like lapis, certus, redstone, and diamonds through this gear?

With 3x Mek setups there isn't a whole lot of reason to use induction smelting aside from Ferrous Ore for Shiny Ingots. Between the upgraded factories and speed upgrades it'll just handle a much larger volume of ore in a fraction of the time. I pulverize my Redstone Ores for Cinnabar just for the shiny ingots though.

I guess depending on what mods you have there might be other ores that aren't compatible with Mekanism though.

You can process Coal, Lapis, Redstone, Nether Quartz and Diamond ores in a pulverizer. You get slightly less than just using a fortune III/max lapis tinkers construct pick over time but there are some byproducts(like the aforementioned Cinnabar) that are useful.

You can also induction smelt Redstone with sand to get a Redstone Block, but you lose out on the opportunity for cinnabar. Since I just Pulverize I also just have my redstone go to a cyclic assembler and automatically turn in to blocks.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I've been loving around in thaumcraft 4 and I was wondering if there's any way to farm wisps, because I've been playing for awhile now and haven't seen a single one.

• Locked thread