Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Way more into that EHG preview than the first one they put out. This should be good. Right now all I can really think about is how much I want to hear all of that Thou/The Body collab though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

nomapple posted:

Way more into that EHG preview than the first one they put out. This should be good. Right now all I can really think about is how much I want to hear all of that Thou/The Body collab though.
Seeing The Body in three weeks and if they have that vinyl I'm definitely picking it up. Doesn't say it's a limited release or anything so hopefully. I do find it annoying when bands don't offer digital releases these days, bandcamp has spoiled me.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

nerve posted:

You guys Empress Rising is just such a killer album. You should listen to it.

I listened to it on the way to work. The sound is amazing. You can almost feel it. One of my top picks for 2014 for sure.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Preordered the hell out of the Thou/The Body collab. Also, apparently Southern Lord is repressing YOB's The Great Cessation on vinyl. Got that too.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Electric Wizard posted:

It’s gonna be pretty fuckin’ good actually, and reasonably priced, good quality and NOT limited. We wanna sell records, not create stupid eBay collectables.

Owns. I hate the prices on all their other records. Sounds like it's gonna be great.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.

nomapple posted:

Thou/The Body collab has fallen out of the sky to crush us all to dust: https://soundcloud.com/vinyl-rites/thou-the-body-the-wheel-weaves It's available to order at vinylrites.bigcartel.com as well, unless I've just been robbed as part of an elaborate/awful April Fools.

Full stream available here:
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/04/thou_the_body_m.html

Holy poo poo.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Holy poo poo you guys when was the new Gilead Music Fest announced? And why the gently caress am I, a person living in Milwaukee, just now hearing about it? Something is wrong with me.

God drat.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

nerve posted:

You guys Empress Rising is just such a killer album. You should listen to it.

It's not in my mailbox yet why the gently caress is it not in my mailbox like years in the past so I already have it?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Is there name for the type of vocals The Body dude does? That high pitched eagle scream sounding stuff.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
So, confession time. For some reason I always slept on Isis as a sort of Neuroisis-lite clone. I listened to Celesstial and Oceanic yesterday and.......god drat. I was wrong. I was so very wrong. I heard their later work gets more and more atmospheric which I don't go for as much. Should I stop at Oceanic or did they make another really heavy album?

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Any Brits going to Temples festival?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
So envious of anyone going to Gilead or Temples. Unf. Sounds like I should check out Empress Rising. Also, thanks for the link to the stream for Thou/The Body.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rxcowboy posted:

So, confession time. For some reason I always slept on Isis as a sort of Neuroisis-lite clone. I listened to Celesstial and Oceanic yesterday and.......god drat. I was wrong. I was so very wrong. I heard their later work gets more and more atmospheric which I don't go for as much. Should I stop at Oceanic or did they make another really heavy album?

Listen to Panopticon.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

nomapple posted:

So envious of anyone going to Gilead or Temples. Unf. Sounds like I should check out Empress Rising. Also, thanks for the link to the stream for Thou/The Body.

I'm only going because my friend decided to surprise me with a weekend ticket. I'm more jealous of folk going to Desertfest, would love to see Weedeater again.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Henchman of Santa posted:

Listen to Panopticon.

And also listen to the Mosquito Control EP

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
:w00t: The new Yob record has been mixed and is on its way to get mastered.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

:w00t: The new Yob record has been mixed and is on its way to get mastered.

And next week they are playing two shows at Roadburn, including The Great Cessation in it's entirety. :vince:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Solefald posted:

I'm only going because my friend decided to surprise me with a weekend ticket. I'm more jealous of folk going to Desertfest, would love to see Weedeater again.

Make sure you see Amenra and Oathbreaker. They're average on record but holy gently caress they're incredible live. Some of the best live sound I've ever heard. Also, Vitamin X if you like hardcore even a little bit, I saw them last year and they put on one of the most fun shows I've ever seen. I'm jealous of people going to Desertfest too, but mainly because of the The Body/Dragged into Sunlight combo.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Speaking of which, Boris are doing a signing there. While I'd love to be a goony mess while they sign my vaporizer, do they even speak English?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think they speak it but pretty poorly. They've done collaborations and tours with American and English artists. They must be able to speak it on some level.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Atsuo is pretty conversational in english, if not fluent. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've been looking for cool bands I haven't heard before, here are a couple I like.

If you like your doom a bit more contemplative, Avgrunden have a pared back, almost acoustic sound to them. Reminds me of later Earth albums and Bohren und der Club of Gore or The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMhAgvXbFy0

Slomatics are a band I'd heard of but never got around to listening to, they're pretty good. Like a more Sabbathy Conan (who they have a split with).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcsYZoQGygQ

Lastly some decent doomy instrumental stuff from Thorun. Can't think of any good references, just give them a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8__kQbIEvYk

Also nthing the Monolord recommendation, soundwise early Electric Wizard or Sleep's Holy Mountain are big influences but they bring enough to the table not to be purely derivative.

Whorelord posted:

Speaking of which, Boris are doing a signing there. While I'd love to be a goony mess while they sign my vaporizer, do they even speak English?
Yeah, they speak a bit. When I saw them a few years back a friend got them to sign his The Thing Which Solomon Overlooked records, they seemed a little taken aback and flattered to be asked.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

big scary monsters posted:

If you like your doom a bit more contemplative, Avgrunden have a pared back, almost acoustic sound to them. Reminds me of later Earth albums and Bohren und der Club of Gore or The Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMhAgvXbFy0

Dolorian is also in this vein, but the sound is much less bluesy and there's funeral doom vocals. Strange stuff.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Jason McCash of The Gates Of Slumber has passed away

37 is far too young to go. loving sucks. :(

zenless
Feb 13, 2005
Speaking of YOB. How's the remaster of Catharsis?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Oh gently caress, I loved Gates of Slumber and was bummed when they broke up. Now this.

gently caress this year it needs to stop already.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://soundcloud.com/sargent-house/boris-quicksilver/

Oh, poo poo. I'm on board.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.
Anyone else run across this Bog Oak demo? Female-fronted doom with a bit of a sludgey edge. I'm digging it so far.

http://www.cvltnation.com/sickest-doom-bandyou-will-hear-this-week-bog-oak/

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

I am loving the hardcore and neocrust melodies on this. So hyped now.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Killsion posted:

I am loving the hardcore and neocrust melodies on this. So hyped now.

Seriously. This is the last direction I expected Boris to go in.

Stoked.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Holy poo poo, and I was starting to think they were getting stale.

So much freaking good stuff this year.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Don't make me post that Ron Paul gif again holy loving poo poo!!

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Friends Are Evil posted:

Seriously. This is the last direction I expected Boris to go in.

Stoked.

Honestly I thought they would of done it much earlier.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Windhand has started an European tour which includes Estonia, gently caress yes!

Local support by Talbot, glad to hopefully finally catch them live too.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Really kickass metal fest got announced in Tampa. It's called Southern Darkness Fest and it's on August 23rd. Lineup so far's leaning towards filthy sludge/Southern Lord bands.

Here's who's been announced so far:

Pelican
Black Tusk
Bongripper
All Pigs Must Die
Lord Mantis
Mouth of the Architect
Phobia
Yautja
Zoroaster
ASG
A Storm of Light
Junius
Weekend Nachos
Jungbluth
Everything Went Black
Strong Intention
Coke Bust
Sannheit

As well, there's a ton of great local Florida bands like Maruta, Centuries, Set and Setting, and Traitor Crucifix playing. If you live in the South, you need to go to this. There's still more bands to get added to the bill, but considering they just added Bongripper today, I feel like the rest of them are going to be crazy.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 9, 2014

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Tickets aren't on sale yet, but they're $35. I will definitely be going to this.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Tickets aren't on sale yet, but they're $35. I will definitely be going to this.

I'll be there for sure. This is a stupidly good lineup.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I didn't realize Phobia was still going.
Reminds me of when they showed a incident on Real TV with Ahmad Rashad where some dudes tried to fight them at a show in Japan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMjY4aDvVMM

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Is the rest of their music this loving awesome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fauxshiz posted:

Is the rest of their music this loving awesome?

Boris own bones, check out their stuff. Heavy Rocks, Flood, Feedbacker, just...check em.