Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imaginos
Mar 3, 2003

Oh oh. I just ordered the same cam as Pivit on March 28th. Very surprised you got it so quick.

I ordered mine with a Class 6 32Gb card. Worried about counterfeits too. E-Prance been contacted yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Finally jumped on one http://www.amazon.com/Lycheers-1920x1080-Recorder-Dashboard-Detection/dp/B00J58I4N8

G1W with same processor listed as E-Prance, but less than $42 shipped Prime... worth a shot.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My G1W is apparently lost in shipping...wonderful. Since ordering I've witnessed a rollover (idiot texting drove off road, rolled several times), several drunks, stupid passes, no lights when very dark and someone running a red and t-boning someone else.

Drivers are here are poo poo, I can't wait for the camera to arrive. In the mean time I should just rig up the GoPro.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Heh, I watched some moron drive over the curb yesterday. But not just up a curb, actually over one of those planter type curbs but with no grass/dirt in it. Pretty sure it did a number on their rear wheel. Not really worth pulling off the camera though.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
I want to get the G1W too, can you recommend a good link on Amazon to it?

The wire cutter provides a link but they only ship from China and it would take up to 28 days for me to get it.

http://www.amazon.com/Blueskysea-19...-1&keywords=G1W

The manufacturer is blueskysea, and the seller is Baikov.

However I notice there are other sellers like E-Prance that ship from within the US and I don't have to wait a month for it. Which one have you all used, and is it counterfeit or the real G1W? (Can you mention the seller too, since some links have multiple sellers.)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Blueskysea is fine. I got mine roughly a week after I ordered it.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

I haven't contacted e-prance yet, it seems like their typical canned response is to try a class 4/6 memory card. The transcend class 4 should get here tomorrow, along with a new USB cable and power adapter.

I'm thinking this should work, I didn't realize how picky the G1W can be.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
The g1w really don't like sandisk cards for whatever reason.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
My G1W just showed up 2 weeks earlier than expected. I ordered a giant pack of velcro cable ties and a 32gb kingston sd card along with it. Wrapped two velcro ties around the camera on either side of the lens, then wrapped two more around my rollbar to stick the camera to. Another pair of ties around the entire assembly keeps tension against the bar so that it doesn't rotate around, and now I should be all ready to record my morning commute tomorrow.

My 8 minute test drive generated a half gig of video and I'm too lazy to compress it (plus it's a bit crappy since it's dark), but here's a screencap of what the camera is seeing:

It's a bit grainy for my taste, and I feel like the mounting is a tad high. I'll see what it looks like in the daylight tomorrow. I'm also thinking of how I can cut up some PVC pipe to make a mount that'll clip to the rollbar and hold the camera a few inches lower.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dpidz0r posted:

My G1W just showed up 2 weeks earlier than expected. I ordered a giant pack of velcro cable ties and a 32gb kingston sd card along with it. Wrapped two velcro ties around the camera on either side of the lens, then wrapped two more around my rollbar to stick the camera to. Another pair of ties around the entire assembly keeps tension against the bar so that it doesn't rotate around, and now I should be all ready to record my morning commute tomorrow.

My 8 minute test drive generated a half gig of video and I'm too lazy to compress it (plus it's a bit crappy since it's dark), but here's a screencap of what the camera is seeing:

It's a bit grainy for my taste, and I feel like the mounting is a tad high. I'll see what it looks like in the daylight tomorrow. I'm also thinking of how I can cut up some PVC pipe to make a mount that'll clip to the rollbar and hold the camera a few inches lower.

Personally, I would avoid having your speedo in shot.

First time I mounted mine, I was quite happy that my GPS was in shot and readable as it was a great way of showing where I was. Then I realised that having the speed visible was a bad thing as it could be used against me (even if such an incident were entirely not my fault, I could image 31mph in a 30mph zone being used against me)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meatpimp posted:

Finally jumped on one http://www.amazon.com/Lycheers-1920x1080-Recorder-Dashboard-Detection/dp/B00J58I4N8

G1W with same processor listed as E-Prance, but less than $42 shipped Prime... worth a shot.

"Currently unavailable, we don't know when this item will be back in stock"

The one review says it's a knockoff with poo poo firmware.

Never change, China. Never change. :allears:

veedubfreak posted:

Blueskysea is fine. I got mine roughly a week after I ordered it.

Blueseasky and Baikov are supposedly the same company as estore009 on eBay, at least according to a brief conversation I have with Baikov on Amazon. My first G1W came from estore009, second came from Baikov/Blueseasky.

The second one (via Amazon) took about a week and a half to show up. First one was more like 2 1/2 weeks. Outside packaging was the same between the two.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Are the blackvue cameras that much better than anything else to justify the price?

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Well, the transcend 32gb class 4 didn't change anything with my G1W, guess it is a defective unit. Just printed the shipping label to return it to Amazon.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

spog posted:

Then I realised that having the speed visible was a bad thing as it could be used against me (even if such an incident were entirely not my fault, I could image 31mph in a 30mph zone being used against me)
Do you know for a fact that that would come back and bite me or is this just speculation? I can't imagine insurance claiming someone rear ending me is somehow my fault because I was doing 31 in a 30 zone, but then I've seen dumber things out of the insurance and/or legal system before. I'm usually within the speed limit on surface streets, though 99% of my driving is on san diego freeways where everyone drives a minimum of 10 over the limit anyway.

In actual dashcam news, I'm pretty happy with everything else except the audio. It fluctuates wildly in the first minute or two, then there'll be a single popping sound and it cuts out completely. And of course no one did anything too crazy this morning now that I've got the camera installed, though I did come across some guy hauling a giant pile of refrigerators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR_IoBDKKuw
I wasn't sure if he was going to clear the bridge so I got out from behind him to avoid gaining one as a hood ornament.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

You really need to mount the camera right near your windshield. In the current location the windshield is blocking a lot of the view, and showing a lot of the interior of the car instead of the exterior (which is what I assume you're more interested in recording.)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

given that all the cameras seem to not clearly display licence plates beyond a few feet in front of the car, yeah, move it onto the windshield for maximum clarity.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

dpidz0r posted:

Your camera is mounted just high enough so that the top of your windscreen obscures a significant portion of the view ahead as well as traffic lights

how will you be able to prove that you did indeed have a green when some cave-dweller blows a red and t-bones you?

in related camera-news I recently picked up one of the Moebius HD cameras. I got it primarily for use on my model planes, but the firmware does have some features that would make it useful as a dashcam. (Loop recording, auto-recording at power-on, etc.)

I velcroed it to the top my passenger headrest and recorded my drives to work and back. Picture quality is outstanding - no difficulty in reading licence plates from up to two carlengths away. Very Gopro-esque, minus the bulk.

I have the version with the standard lens now. I am planning on getting another one with the wide-angle lens anyway, so I'll add a windscreen mount to that order.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Mine decided that it was no longer going to read my memory card. Sigh... Can I just format the card and hope for the best?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Mine decided that it was no longer going to read my memory card. Sigh... Can I just format the card and hope for the best?

I know the Blackvues usually come with a totally sketchy SD card that needs to get thrown out immediately and replaced with a new one.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I think I'm going to jump on a G1W- I took a ticket last May for a 2.5 RS that was speeding ahead of me, cop cited me instead and it was his word against mine so I lost.

My two questions:

What kind of USB cable do I need for power? I'm not sure if it's slim USB or that slightly thicker than slim USB whose name I forget.

I have a USB port on the back of my headunit - I'm not sure how much power comes through, but it might be less than I get through my 12V with an adapter. Think I can power this thing off the headunit?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mini USB.

Your head unit likely puts out 500mA, while the included power adapter puts out significantly more.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
This thread convinced me. I've ordered the G1WH which is the wide-angle version. Supposedly foxoffer.com sells legit ones per Redflagdeals so ordered from there.

Looking forward to seeing how it handles -40 weather next winter.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I know the Blackvues usually come with a totally sketchy SD card that needs to get thrown out immediately and replaced with a new one.

I have a sandisk 32gb that has been working fine up til the last few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZVZrv90bbI From Friday's commute home.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 7, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another use for dashcams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eU17LUrklg

(guy records service performed on his car, decides the dealer lied about the work that was done, and uploads it to the internet)

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ordered two G1W's today; one for the wife, one for me. Wish there was a way to do live streaming with mine

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Showed up last week, looks legit and works well. Haven't fully set it up yet -- is there a cheap and readily-available power cord to hard wire/drop the voltage from 12v to whatever USB uses? I'd like to tie it in to my sunroof power that's on/off with key.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

I ordered a new G1W from E-Prance after the last one was returned. Should get here tomorrow, fingers crossed.

meatpimp posted:

Showed up last week, looks legit and works well. Haven't fully set it up yet -- is there a cheap and readily-available power cord to hard wire/drop the voltage from 12v to whatever USB uses? I'd like to tie it in to my sunroof power that's on/off with key.

Here is what Wickerman used in this post. Might as well do it right.

quote:

Fuse Tap (Mini Fuses, now this depends on what you drive but odds are pretty decent that it's mini unless it's an old time crusier): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AHADOC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12V to 5V 2xUSB (I went ahead and got the two USB females variety because I wanted the ability to add a front and rear dashcam with only one fuse tap.): http://www.ebay.com/itm/141039052482?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Pivit fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 7, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tide posted:

Ordered two G1W's today; one for the wife, one for me. Wish there was a way to do live streaming with mine

If it recorded via rtsp it would be the perfect camera. :allears:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It takes a surprising amount of time to format a 32gb flash card. Mine lost it's mind and kept giving me read errors so I did a full format. Since it didn't finish before I left work last night I'm amazed that nothing interesting happened.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

The new G1W from E-Prance on Amazon arrived today and works GREAT. The last one was just a dud, that happens with electronics. That is one of the nice things about orders "fulfilled by Amazon", easy returns without having to ship stuff back to China.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

veedubfreak posted:

It takes a surprising amount of time to format a 32gb flash card. Mine lost it's mind and kept giving me read errors so I did a full format. Since it didn't finish before I left work last night I'm amazed that nothing interesting happened.

I've been keeping 2 cards in the car.

Pivit posted:

The new G1W from E-Prance on Amazon arrived today and works GREAT. The last one was just a dud, that happens with electronics. That is one of the nice things about orders "fulfilled by Amazon", easy returns without having to ship stuff back to China.

The quality of these things are pretty hit and miss but the price seems to reflect that.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My Mini 0801 is still trucking along with no problems. I think I have a Samsung card in there.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E03rhR1HQQI

Sample footage from my Moebius cam. Card is a Sandisk 32GB class 4. I haven't received the proper windscreen mount for it yet, so I've velcroed it to the top of my passenger-side headrest.

(view in HD for best results)

(yes we drive on the left here)

Very pleased with the picture quality so far. I have noticed that brightly lit objects do have a tendency to wash out at certain angles (like licence plates) especially at night. The camera's configuration app allows a fair amount of customization, so I will tweak the lighting range controls and see if that helps any.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Once you mount the Mobius to your windshield, can you let me know if you start picking up a rattling noise caused by car vibrations? I get that when my Mobius is mounted to my bike handlebars or my car windshield. I'd like to know if it's a design problem with the camera or if it's just a problem with mine.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I got a G1W (replacement for the defective one I got first try) and I'm having an odd problem.

It starts working fine, the test files work, I can open them in Quicktime and they are good. Once I start recording my actual commute though, once I get past the first few files (which are all fine), the rest are all 'unreadable' by Quicktime.

Is this something anyone else has run into? Could it be because I'm using a 64gb class 10 memory card? I guess I can order another memory card, gut I hate to do that if it turns out that it's not the problem.

Any ideas?

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

The Locator posted:

So I got a G1W (replacement for the defective one I got first try) and I'm having an odd problem.

It starts working fine, the test files work, I can open them in Quicktime and they are good. Once I start recording my actual commute though, once I get past the first few files (which are all fine), the rest are all 'unreadable' by Quicktime.

Is this something anyone else has run into? Could it be because I'm using a 64gb class 10 memory card? I guess I can order another memory card, gut I hate to do that if it turns out that it's not the problem.

Any ideas?

My first (defective) one did that, in addition to the shutting off thing. If I went into view mode on the camera and pressed up and down to see each file and then copied them over it would correct the problem, they'd load just fine. I'd try a different memory card.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

buttcrackmenace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E03rhR1HQQI

Sample footage from my Moebius cam. Card is a Sandisk 32GB class 4. I haven't received the proper windscreen mount for it yet, so I've velcroed it to the top of my passenger-side headrest.

(view in HD for best results)

(yes we drive on the left here)

Very pleased with the picture quality so far. I have noticed that brightly lit objects do have a tendency to wash out at certain angles (like licence plates) especially at night. The camera's configuration app allows a fair amount of customization, so I will tweak the lighting range controls and see if that helps any.

Could you please tell us what part of the world you are in please? It quite beautiful!

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I think it's the US Virgin Islands, they drive on the left like the rest of the Caribbean*, but all their poo poo is from the USA hence the LHD cars and the American style road signs.

*and all other sensible nations :britain:

edit: it is, the newspaper masthead gives it away.

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 10, 2014

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Saw this yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEeU44jeR5w

The moment he started pulling left, I knew what he was going to do, but it still surprised me. And for the record, he still had to stop and wait at the light to make his left turn a few blocks away as we all caught up to and passed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Some dude nearly t-boned me today. I was turning left, 3rd in line already in the intersection and the guy in front was a bit slow to react, so we were still in the process of turning when the light turned green in the other direction.

Some monumental shitbag decided that this was his chance to floor it and lay on the horn, missing me by who knows how little. WTF man?