Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hell, I don't horizontal scroll ever, but I just program my side buttons to ctrl+tab/shift+ctrl+tab for tab switching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

It's Goo telling us about Proteus Core 12,000 Dee Pee Eye!!

I think it definitely looks better than the design cues of the G400s/G500s.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I was happy with the G400 but now I really want to try that mouse.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ShaneB posted:

Steel Series Rival - better than an MX518 for FPS? Basically I want a mouse to magically make me better ok :(

the rival is (like most steelseries mice) really lightweight which you may or may not like. Steelseries software is terrible compared to Logitech though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

fookolt posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/8/5593420/logitechs-g502-proteus-core-tunable-gaming-mouse-12000-dpi

New Logitech mouse; I like the shape and everything but oh...those...colors :pcgaming:

It's mostly black with a nice highlight... Much better than that crazy coating they use on the 400s.

I like the new scroll wheel and the shape, but it sounds like a laser mouse which is of course a deal breaker.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Ugh, not going to be able to resist pre-ordering that new Logitech. This loving company...

I don't think I've bought a non-Logitech mouse in well over a decade, sans a Razer Mamba which I had to return a week later. Last time I bought either a Razer or a wireless.

Any clue on the release date for the G502?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

fookolt posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/8/5593420/logitechs-g502-proteus-core-tunable-gaming-mouse-12000-dpi

New Logitech mouse; I like the shape and everything but oh...those...colors :pcgaming:
What about those colors? It's a much less cyan blue in the video than the photo with that story, but I don't see a problem with either color.

everythingWasBees posted:

And I just got the g602. :negative:

Is that a laser or an optical mouse. I can't imagine an optical mouse having that kind of resolution.
The G400s also has "Delta Zero" technology, its sensor is the "S3095" which (as far as I can see) is just an A3090 optical sensor with a special lens and illumination.

I think the physical limit (assuming "optical" means "visible light") about 60,000dpi native, and 12,000dpi is probably not a resolution it actually operates at natively (see this explanation by a Logitech designer of subdivisions of the sensor matrix, among other things).

I'm not going to go out and spend $80 just for the pleasure of using this mouse but I will definitely look at it if my M40 breaks anytime soon, assuming that the shape and size are comparable to the G9x.

Linux Nazi posted:

Ugh, not going to be able to resist pre-ordering that new Logitech. This loving company...

I don't think I've bought a non-Logitech mouse in well over a decade, sans a Razer Mamba which I had to return a week later. Last time I bought either a Razer or a wireless.

According to the first sentence of TFA:

quote:

set for release this month in Europe and North America for $79.99.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Maybe they'll announce a G402 optical mouse in the new Style.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Oh hi everybody.

NihilCredo posted:

Either way, it doesn't look like it has a free-scroll wheel so it's another completely irrelevant product for the Nihil Credo market. Great job, Logitech :colbert:

It does have dual-mode scrolling. The wheel is 100% metal with no rubber. I like touching it.

everythingWasBees posted:

And I just got the g602. :negative:

Is that a laser or an optical mouse. I can't imagine an optical mouse having that kind of resolution.

It is not laser-based. It is a brand new IR-LED-illuminated sensor that is no joke more accurate and responsive than anything else on the market. I hate coming off like a shill (try really hard not to) but as a super mouse nerd who's been working for this company for 18 years I really really really enjoy using this sensor.

Trisk posted:

It's Goo telling us about Proteus Core 12,000 Dee Pee Eye!!

I think it definitely looks better than the design cues of the G400s/G500s.

Oh God that video is more cringey and less informative than this one.

Glad you prefer how it looks. Stripes are out and triangles are the new hotness or something.

The Lord Bude posted:

It's mostly black with a nice highlight... Much better than that crazy coating they use on the 400s.

I like the new scroll wheel and the shape, but it sounds like a laser mouse which is of course a deal breaker.

Wheel is new, internal scroll mechanism is existing, ratchet force has been improved significantly to be more distinct and satisfying.

Linux Nazi posted:

People are already buying it at some Best Buys. It's on pre-order elsewhere. Will take some time to get through the distribution channel in Europe/Asia/ANZ/China/etc but we're shipping them worldwide right now.

kaschei posted:

I think the physical limit (assuming "optical" means "visible light") about 60,000dpi native, and 12,000dpi is probably not a resolution it actually operates at natively (see this explanation by a Logitech designer of subdivisions of the sensor matrix, among other things).

Sensor is capable of 12k DPI without smoothing or pixel rounding. Yes, as Francois explains, there is technically subdivision of pixels but that's standard in any multi-DPI mouse. All of that calculation is handled on the sensor at the fastest speed possible and doesn't ever hit the MCU. So assuming similar physical input, 12k DPI is as accurate and responsive as 200.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Now, if only it were wireless...Having used wireless for several years now, I can't stand the slight pull even a good cord makes on the mouse. The (poor) battery life on my G700 is definitely annoying, though. It's just not $65 dollar annoying enough to get the G602 just yet.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Welp. Glad I took that Razer back. This looks like everything I was wanting out of a new mouse.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Goo posted:

Oh God that video is more cringey and less informative than this one.

Does the wheel, in fact, spin for days? :allears:

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

isndl posted:

Does the wheel, in fact, spin for days? :allears:

For extremely small values of "days", yes.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I think I'll keep on using the G602 for my Laptop and if I ever build a gaming desktop I'll pick up the G502.
God it's so pretty though. :(

Goo, how does it compare to the G602, if that's my only point of reference for higher-end mice? And is it easy to transition from one mouse to another?

e: I hate you for getting me hooked on these Logitech mice, by the way.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
G602 is wider and more arched. It is also significantly heavier.

Mice are highly subjective. You can probably test out both of them at a local Best Buy as they should be out of box on display if the Proteus Core is in stock.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Oh sweet BestBuy does have them in. Ordered for in-store pickup. Will post my thoughts tomorrow!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Goo posted:

It does have dual-mode scrolling. The wheel is 100% metal with no rubber. I like touching it.

Well we're cool then :)! I like metal wheels too so it's good you said that, it looked opaque in the picture/videos.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Oh gawd, that G502 looks great. Goo, compared to g9x, g700s, and g602, can you tell me if the mouse is longer or shorter please?

I ask because I prefer my mouse to have as many buttons as possible, but I have small hands, so that means those buttons that are located near the left click button are pretty much inaccessible for me for gaming.

Is there a reason why you guys didn't use the 4 button thumb button cluster that was used for g700s?

Finally, is there a mouse with more button than the g502 but has most if not all of the features of it? (You probably can't answer this, but doesn't hurt to ask right? :P )

thanks!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

lethial posted:

Oh gawd, that G502 looks great. Goo, compared to g9x, g700s, and g602, can you tell me if the mouse is longer or shorter please?
The G9x is 110x80x40mm (length, width, height). The G602 is 140x83x44. G700s is 129x84x47.

The G502 is 131x75x41, so it's about as long as the G700s, about as tall as the G9x, and thinner (just) than any of these.

Also these numbers don't tell you anything about how it arches or really feels so definitely try a mouse out before you buy it.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 9, 2014

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

lethial posted:

I ask because I prefer my mouse to have as many buttons as possible, but I have small hands, so that means those buttons that are located near the left click button are pretty much inaccessible for me for gaming.

Is there a reason why you guys didn't use the 4 button thumb button cluster that was used for g700s?

Finally, is there a mouse with more button than the g502 but has most if not all of the features of it? (You probably can't answer this, but doesn't hurt to ask right? :P )

thanks!

Size information in the previous post is super helpful because it means I don't have to look it up. It feels most like a G500s, because that's the mouse it replaces in our lineup.

There are a number of factors that went into the design decision on the thumb buttons - including accessibility, usability, ability to segregate your thumb from the buttons, and design of the replaced product. Also we're using microswitches rather than tac switches on the thumbs, which changes the space requirement per button. Short version of that is more buttons = larger mouse, and we didn't want to increase size.

There's nothing in our lineup that has all the features of Proteus Core plus more buttons.

Goo fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 9, 2014

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm in need of something to replace the series of wireless Logitech M310's that I've used for the last couple of years now. I've opted for this mouse in particular because its scroll wheel doesn't rock side-to-side. I use middle-mouse clicks so often that I was constantly annoyed by other mouses' penchant for going back or forward a page when I intended to open a link up in a new tab.

Unfortunately, every M310 I've used consistently develops a middle-mouse click that will intermittently not register unless you apply sideways pressure to the wheel before pressing. As such, I'm hoping to find A) a three-button mouse with a more durable scroll wheel for middle-clicking, B) a five-button mouse with forward/back buttons on the scroll wheel that won't sometimes get triggered when I intended to middle-click, or C) something without a mouse-wheel that will still let me scroll AND middle-click?

Any suggestions? Wireless is preferred.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Karthe posted:

I use middle-mouse clicks so often that I was constantly annoyed by other mouses' penchant for going back or forward a page when I intended to open a link up in a new tab.

I use middle clicks hundreds of times a day and never once did this. Do you just bash your mouse and hope it works right?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

I use middle clicks hundreds of times a day and never once did this. Do you just bash your mouse and hope it works right?
No way, I treat my technology pretty well. I just use the mouse normally and accept the fact that, after about the year mark, this brand of mouse will inevitably develop this issue. It's not like the entire wheel is breaking apart either - scrolling has always worked fine. I just sometimes end up having to nudge the wheel slightly to either side before a click will register. :iiam:

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Karthe posted:

C) something without a mouse-wheel that will still let me scroll AND middle-click?

Any suggestions? Wireless is preferred.

MS touch mouse? They're not to my taste but a friend of mine loves his.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Goo posted:

More information

kaschei posted:

Sizing information

Thank you both very much. I guess I will find out when the mouse ships to me. :)

On another note, Goo, do you know what could cause my g700s to disconnect randomly and reconnects? Esp. when I am gaming and moving the mouse around a lot.

thanks.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

lethial posted:

Thank you both very much. I guess I will find out when the mouse ships to me. :)

On another note, Goo, do you know what could cause my g700s to disconnect randomly and reconnects? Esp. when I am gaming and moving the mouse around a lot.

thanks.

If the cable is connected it could be a faulty cable or microUSB connection.

If it's wireless you can try moving the receiver closer and putting less metal between it and the mouse.

That's not something that's typical.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
So I've picked mine up from ye olde beste buye.

Here's a comparison shot between the G502, G500, and G9x:

It's slightly smaller in my hand than the G500. I'm not incredibly selective about how my mouse feels, and this one feels just fine.

A few things:

- The underside where you add weights is a clever magnetic latch. I expect that Logitech assumed users would be swapping out weights more often then I probably will.
- The mouse, even without weights, is heftier than you might expect. It does not feel fisher-price like every Razer I've ever had my hands on. It's actually fairly solid.
- The wheel is loving amazing. Probably the best since the OG boomslang (the wheel was the only good part about the original boomslang, and it was amazing...)
- Best mouse cable ever. It's a soft braid and incredibly flexible.

- It's far far too pretty for my messy game room setup:

It's an amazing mouse, both in style and button placement. The extra buttons are plenty large without getting in the way.

So far the tracking is fine, but I'm not a particularly skilled FPS gamer any more, so I can't really say much other than "welp, it isn't poo poo". I'm still plenty bad at titanfall, but no worse than I was with my G500!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

This may sound like a really stupid question but here goes:

I've been using the G400 for about two and half years, and I love it. It could stand to be a little bigger, but the ergonomics are serviceable and the button placement is great. My problem is I want more buttons. I was planning to pick up a G602, and I handled one at Best Buy and although the side buttons are a little small, I figured it wouldn't be hard to get used to. Now though, the G502 looks mighty tempting...I was hoping to go wireless, but honestly the cord on my mouse has never really bothered me so that's not a huge deal either way. Here's what I'm trying to figure out though: The G400 has, basically, two extra buttons. I know I can reprogram the three DPI-related buttons using the Logitech software but really it's just two extra buttons. It looks like the G502 is basically the same in that regard? I see two buttons on the side of left click (DPI up and down), two on the side of the mouse (forward and back), and one below those (DPI reset?). Will the G502 actually have more usable buttons, or should I just pick up the G602 and have all the buttons I can handle?

Edit for some mousepad chat: I bought a G240 over the weekend and it seems really solid and smooth for being so thin. It seems thinner than the SteelSeries I was using. I mostly wanted to replace the SteelSeries because I (very, very stupidly) bought a white mousepad. It was white, anyway, and now there's this sort of gradient where it becomes a lovely shade of grey. White mousepads are a bad idea, kids. If you've already got a mousepad you're happy with, this is nothing revolutionary, but I like it.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 10, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I use side scrolling for volume. Can't live without it

E: new page gently caress

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

After extended gaming sessions with my MX518, my index finger and thumb get sore from holding down those buttons. Would a lower profile mouse help with that?

I know, taking more breaks would help.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

:drat: 12,000 DPI!?

Wired only? :(

Was about to order the G602. If the G602 really is more wide and higher arched I may rather have that one. Ive used a G500 and didn't like the feeling/size too much. Felt too narrow and small. I do really like the thumb button layout on the G502 though.

Anyone have any input on the feel of the G500 vs the G502?

Maybe I'll just look for a used G602 now :v:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Christoff posted:

:drat: 12,000 DPI!?

Wired only? :(

Was about to order the G602. If the G602 really is more wide and higher arched I may rather have that one. Ive used a G500 and didn't like the feeling/size too much. Felt too narrow and small. I do really like the thumb button layout on the G502 though.

Anyone have any input on the feel of the G500 vs the G502?

Maybe I'll just look for a used G602 now :v:

If you didn't like the feel of the G500, you probably aren't going to like the G502 either. They are very similar. The G502 seems slightly beefier around the waistline, but it's also slightly more shallow.

I came from a G500 (and a MX518 prior). Unlike those times I flirted with the G9 and a couple of Razers, where the ergonomic change is a little jarring, the change to the G502 is very much unnoticed once you are in the game.

This means that it's G500-ish enough to assume that if you didn't care for the G500 shape, you probably will find similar faults with the G502.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thanks for the reply. Will probably end up with the g602 then. I'd like to try out a g502 but it's not a big deal. Could care less about the DPI I just really like the thumb buttons on it. I avoided wireless mice initially but it seems the g602 fixed all the problems wireless gaming mouse had.

So, who's selling hteir g602 then?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Geirskogul posted:

I use side scrolling for volume.

Holy crap.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Geirskogul posted:

I use side scrolling for volume. Can't live without it

E: new page gently caress

I'm using an M500, so the middle click is a bit stiff, so I remapped horizontal scroll, and middle click. I use right scroll for middle click, left scroll for back, and the actual middle click for next song.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
When I saw 12k DPI I definitely assumed laser. Now I have to get one...my peripheral addiction is unstoppable

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That 12k DPI really comes in handy when your mousepad is a bar coaster!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TheRationalRedditor posted:

That 12k DPI really comes in handy when your mousepad is a bar coaster!

who wants to waste calories moving their arm?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Lord Bude posted:

who wants to waste calories moving their arm?

That's why IBM invented the TrackPoint. The World's Lowest Effort Mousing Device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I feel like I'm stuck in some weird mouse limbo where now no mouse feels normal or good. I was using a G5 for many, many years at home and a Performance MX at work. Both felt great and I loved them for their various uses.

Lately I realized I wanted my home mouse to feel more like the MX because I like a giant mouse that fills my palm, so I picked up a G700s which felt great at first, but then I didn't like the thumb buttons and it didn't want to work after a reboot.

So I returned that and picked up a G602, I was using that for most of this week when I realized my hand kept hurting because of how I was holding the mouse, so I started to look for a replacement again.

I picked up the G502 last night because it was at a local Best Buy and it feels ok, but again I find myself holding it in an odd position and I'm not sure I still want to keep it just yet.

The sad thing is, is that now even at work I find myself second guessing how I'm holding the MX and changing things up which inevitably makes things feel awkward after a while.

:sigh: