Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Resident Evil 7 will be a wrestling simulator where the use of guns is frowned upon. Chris will fight without a shirt and flex after every kill, with the members of his team giving due adulation.

He's in a tag team along with Jake. Chris is the big guy who tanks hits like a champ and throws things around, and Jake is the fast guy who does a lot of acrobatic stuff and moves FROM THE TOP ROPE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Resident Evil 7 will be a wrestling simulator where the use of guns is frowned upon. Chris will fight without a shirt and flex after every kill, with the members of his team giving due adulation.

Capcom finally got my letters!

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

codenameFANGIO posted:

Everyone ignored this because it's stupid but I just want to make sure everyone takes a second to go, 'wow, how dumb'.

I know they wouldn't sell very well but I'm still disappointed that tank controls survival horror games have all but died off. Really, survival horror games in general have all but died off. He wasn't wrong-- RE 4, 5, and 6 were great games but there was rarely any actual tension.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Damegane posted:

He's in a tag team along with Jake. Chris is the big guy who tanks hits like a champ and throws things around, and Jake is the fast guy who does a lot of acrobatic stuff and moves FROM THE TOP ROPE!

If I can chant "I need some herbs" into the microphone to boost Chris's damage output in the Biohazard Grudge Match at RESIDENTMANIA I'll buy two copies.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Barudak posted:

If I can chant "I need some herbs" into the microphone to boost Chris's damage output in the Biohazard Grudge Match at RESIDENTMANIA I'll buy two copies.

Saddler enters and the crowd starts chanting SMALL TIME SMALL TIME to his entrance music.

Everybody has a favoured foreign object. When the referee (inevitably) gets knocked out by an errant punch, you can go rummage around under the ring for them or grab something from the crowd. Sherry pulls out a stun rod from under the ring. Wesker goes to the announcer table and picks up a pair of sunglasses. Chris reaches in to the crowd and BAH GAWD HE'S GOT A BOULDER :bahgawd:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

codenameFANGIO posted:

Everyone ignored this because it's stupid but I just want to make sure everyone takes a second to go, 'wow, how dumb'.

Yes the truth is often hard to accept.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Wesker really is the Vince McMahon of the RE universe.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Son Ryo posted:

I know they wouldn't sell very well but I'm still disappointed that tank controls survival horror games have all but died off. Really, survival horror games in general have all but died off. He wasn't wrong-- RE 4, 5, and 6 were great games but there was rarely any actual tension.

I haven't actually seen much of the evil within but I hear it's really trying to bring back to closer to survival horror?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

I haven't actually seen much of the evil within but I hear it's really trying to bring back to closer to survival horror?

Oh, right. Strangely, I keep forgetting about that game. Probably because Bethesda's involved.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Son Ryo posted:

It doesn't even have to be tank controls, simple atmosphere or sound design is more than enough to make one tense.

The Dead Space games(the first 2 anyway) had you be pretty loving powerful, hell the strongest gun in the game was the starter pistol, but the game was creepy as hell with foreboding atmosphere and every step and amazing sound design, Resident Evil 3 did it to with good music and a look at the hosed up city as well as the Nemesis breathing down your neck at every step.

4 felt tense at the start, when you're trying to hold back the ganado, then again in 2-2 when you go into the tow at night, but beyond that, the game wasn't tense at all, RE5 had 0 tense moments due to the game being during the day most of the time, 6 tried with Leon's campaign with middling results.

Even loving Dead Island Riptide had its tense moments whenever you go into a dead zone, suddenly the bright colors are gone, everything feels more muted, the music is creepy and there's like a billion zombies there along with one super zombie, and Dead Island is janky as gently caress.

I have high hopes for Evil Within, hopefully it brings that tense atmosphere back.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Alteisen posted:

It doesn't even have to be tank controls, simple atmosphere or sound design is more than enough to make one tense.

The Dead Space games(the first 2 anyway) had you be pretty loving powerful, hell the strongest gun in the game was the starter pistol, but the game was creepy as hell with foreboding atmosphere and every step and amazing sound design, Resident Evil 3 did it to with good music and a look at the hosed up city as well as the Nemesis breathing down your neck at every step.

4 felt tense at the start, when you're trying to hold back the ganado, then again in 2-2 when you go into the tow at night, but beyond that, the game wasn't tense at all, RE5 had 0 tense moments due to the game being during the day most of the time, 6 tried with Leon's campaign with middling results.

Even loving Dead Island Riptide had its tense moments whenever you go into a dead zone, suddenly the bright colors are gone, everything feels more muted, the music is creepy and there's like a billion zombies there along with one super zombie, and Dead Island is janky as gently caress.

I have high hopes for Evil Within, hopefully it brings that tense atmosphere back.

Tension to me is more than just fear of death-- one of the things I loved most about older RE games is that killing all the zombies (while possible if you know what you're doing) isn't always the best course of action, because you want to conserve your ammo. I don't dislike the Dead Space, Dead Island, or RE4 and on games, but they're very much action horror where you kill everything around and you can usually run around and dodge enemies easily if you need to. In older survival horror games there's near-constant tension-- you're almost always worried whether you'll have enough ammo to survive the next encounter. Hell, the limited saves in the older RE games even added to that-- you had to decide when you wanted to make a run back to the typewriters to avoid possibly losing all the progress you'd made.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Resident Evil hasn't really been scary ever since I beat RE2 in the 8th grade. Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I remember the only game that I ever had ammo problems was the original. RE2 and onwards were pretty easy to load up on ammo at the very beginning of the game to the point where you could easily kill the enemies that were in your way and just run by the ones that were easily ran past.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It has less to do with ammunition and resources, although they help, and more to do with atmosphere and level design.

For example, in Silent Hill 2, even on an initial run, you should rarely be in danger of actually dying at any point in time. There are guns and ammunition everywhere, the usual monsters are easily defeated, and even if you should somehow run out of ammo, you have any of a half-dozen decent, viable melee weapons.

The reason why every survival horror fan ritually genuflects in Silent Hill 2's direction once or twice a year isn't because of resource scarcity, but because of the sound design and general surreality. The first three SH games are very good at making sure you can handle virtually anything that comes your way while simultaneously fooling you into thinking you can't. SH2 would still be scary if James was inside a Gundam. Fatal Frame is also pretty good about this.

RE has never been designed to jump on that particular nerve, and it looks worse for the comparison, but it's had its share of scares, most of which are diminished or wholly absent on a second run through the game. RE4 has the chainsaw dudes, the Novistadors, Regenerators, and arguably the Garradors; RE5 has Reapers, playing cat-and-mouse with Wesker, and the fight in the village at the start; RE6 largely abandoned the genre, but still managed to wring some hefty creep factor out of Ada's fight with Carla; and Revelations has the first Scagdead, the first fight with Ooze Rachel, invisible Hunters, the underwater sponge level in the wreckage of the Dido, and the whole Last-Supper-gone-wrong atmosphere of the final level.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Ineffiable posted:

The gameplay footage I've seen is very much like RE4, so I dunno. It does look to be much more atmospheric and Silent Hill-esque in setting, so I imagine that's where the horror will come in.

Also RE5 and 6 are good games. Most Resident Evil games are actually pretty good. 0 abuses the plot and has boring boss concepts but it's actually still kinda fun. :shobon:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Geight posted:

The gameplay footage I've seen is very much like RE4, so I dunno. It does look to be much more atmospheric and Silent Hill-esque in setting, so I imagine that's where the horror will come in.

Also RE5 and 6 are good games. Most Resident Evil games are actually pretty good. 0 abuses the plot and has boring boss concepts but it's actually still kinda fun. :shobon:

The gameplay video I saw looked like RE4 if you didn't have more than a handful of bullets and the enemies were much, much tougher in general. I imagine it just has to be tuned, but the video I saw a single, common monster survived an explosive proximity mine and half a clip of ammunition, and then the player didn't have much for the three more behind him. Also I didn't see any melee attacks.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Alteisen posted:

The first Scagdead is by far my favourite set up in the entire franchise (I still have to finish Revelations though :shobon:), the first Regenerator in RE4 being a close second.

Dead Space did some playing around with the formula, like when you get a Necromorph behind you as soon as you finish using a crafting bench, which up until that point was a "safe point". Meanwhile, I was carrying 600 rounds in Metro Last Light, spread across an automatic shotgun, an assault rifle and a pneumatic cylinder arrow cannon, and it still managed to instill me some sense of dread.

Maybe I'm just a wuss. :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm playing through RE4 for about the hundredth time (lost my save, really want to play Mercenaries and whip through the game again with the Chicago typewriter and Ashley's knight suit), and I still a) don't remember Krauser from whatever RE game he was originally from and b) lament the super creepy original version of 4 that never was.

drat, this is my favourite New Game+ game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still don't remember Krauser from whatever RE game he was originally from

He wasn't in any games prior to Resident Evil 4; that's his first appearance in the franchise. Darkside Chronicles apparently shows the one mission he went on with Leon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

He wasn't in any games prior to Resident Evil 4; that's his first appearance in the franchise. Darkside Chronicles apparently shows the one mission he went on with Leon.

Ok, I thought I was stupid for not remembering him. No, I guess Capcom are just weird. They seriously introduce him like we're supposed to go 'oh man, HIM!'

Well, gently caress that guy. And his QT cutscenes. And his boss fight.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, I thought I was stupid for not remembering him. No, I guess Capcom are just weird. They seriously introduce him like we're supposed to go 'oh man, HIM!'

Well, gently caress that guy. And his QT cutscenes. And his boss fight.

If you didn't cry about the death of Mike, a character rich in backstory and nuance, you just aren't playing the right franchise.

His boss fight is a pushover, what are you having problems with?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lotish posted:

The gameplay video I saw looked like RE4 if you didn't have more than a handful of bullets and the enemies were much, much tougher in general. I imagine it just has to be tuned, but the video I saw a single, common monster survived an explosive proximity mine and half a clip of ammunition, and then the player didn't have much for the three more behind him. Also I didn't see any melee attacks.

It also has a thing where you can break line of sight and hide in closets/etc. like in Clock Tower. The footage I saw made it look like you absolutely have to do this to survive some areas. I'm really excited about it. This and Soma seem like they will be the "real horror" games this gen or whatever people prefer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKhoHl9BnE Evil Within

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFouLy2CWY4 Soma

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Barudak posted:

If you didn't cry about the death of Mike, a character rich in backstory and nuance, you just aren't playing the right franchise.

His boss fight is a pushover, what are you having problems with?

I just find it annoying, that's all. The build up, the actual fight... Bleh. I'm a Village and Castle kind of guy. Though I'd say my most hated part of the game is in the cage when that blind fuckface is two feet away from you. I also hate the sliding tile puzzle, but that's walkthrough-able.

I really do love this game to death, though :ohdear:

Edit: also, re: Mike, doesn't Hunnigan say early on 'we had a helicopter, but it got shot down' and both she and Leon kind of go 'oh well, send the next one'? :wtc:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 8, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Though I'd say my most hated part of the game is in the cage when that blind fuckface is two feet away from you. I also hate the sliding tile puzzle, but that's walkthrough-able.

As soon as it you regain control toss an incendiary grenade at the cage door and it will blow the lock off and kill most of the dudes in the area at the same time.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Edit: also, re: Mike, doesn't Hunnigan say early on 'we had a helicopter, but it got shot down' and both she and Leon kind of go 'oh well, send the next one'? :wtc:

This happens in Tomb Raider 2013 also and I found it funny. The first rescue plane instantly crashes and their first thought is like "Don't worry, we'll catch the next one!"

Like maybe you guys ain't worth two rescue planes??

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Resident Evil 5 is like the most dynamic game ever, and Mercenaries is really hard to top score considering the endless possibilities for disaster. I loved watching a series of videos done by a dedicated Japanese player documenting the many, many failures he had in trying to get his top scores. This "No Good" collection is very entertaining, so I thought I'd link the series if anyone wants to watch. It gets really good around Part 7 and up, and at Part 4 he's messing around with his friend doing a Melee/Grenade/Wesker Dash only run.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 10 (Making of)
Part 11
Part 11 (Making of)
Part 12

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
It's true that 6 has just about no horror element, but I really enjoyed it anyway - it was like 5, but with more refined gameplay and substantially less annoying bullshit (one-hit kills, rampant QTEs, etc.) When Capcom added the ability to disable quicktime events for the PC version, it was like mana from heaven for me. It convinced me that maybe, just maybe, Capcom could listen to its fans from time to time. Fighting and exploring are fun, Simon Says reaction speed tests, not so much.

I also really liked Leon's campaign, or at least the first couple chapters of it. It still wasn't horror, but it was fun.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Six needed more coop sections, that part where you fight with Chris and Jake alongside Sherril's crew? Amazing, and those setpieces should have been RE6's main focus.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
RE6 taught me Capcom might want to reconsider another Dino Crisis game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SirDrone posted:

RE6 taught me Capcom might want to reconsider another Dino Crisis game.

I still don't understand how they messed up dinosaurs in space so badly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Maybe it's because of the jetpacks, Dark Void suffered the same fate.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

What do people not like about Dino Crisis 3 though? After all this time the only thing I remember was that the camera was pretty bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The camera is almost unplayable bad also have fun emptying like three full clips of fully automatic space gun fire into a monster to kill it when it does like 1/2 of your life in one hit. It's just totally unbalanced, and later on in the game much of the action is moved to tight areas with large vertical space and lots of thin columns that make the camera even worse.

Looking back, if it were released today it could MAYBE be salvaged with extensive patches but I doubt it.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Now that you mention it, the not-final boss the ship's AI and another boss (I think it was one of the T-Rex variants) were bullshit, but then again I was young.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dino Crisis 3 was the only game in that series I hadn't played (I even played Dino Stalker, known in Japan as Gun Survivor 3: Dino Crisis, which was actually a direct sequel to 2) and thought I was missing out at the time. But looking at gameplay videos it looks pretty bad because it takes forever to actually kill anything compared to the arcade style fun of Dino Crisis 2.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

You know what was a pretty okay game?

That Turok reboot they released a few years back.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Backhand posted:

It's true that 6 has just about no horror element, but I really enjoyed it anyway - it was like 5, but with more refined gameplay and substantially less annoying bullshit (one-hit kills, rampant QTEs, etc.) When Capcom added the ability to disable quicktime events for the PC version, it was like mana from heaven for me. It convinced me that maybe, just maybe, Capcom could listen to its fans from time to time. Fighting and exploring are fun, Simon Says reaction speed tests, not so much.

I also really liked Leon's campaign, or at least the first couple chapters of it. It still wasn't horror, but it was fun.

How the Hell does 6 have more refined gameplay than 5? RE6 is possibly one of the clunkiest games I've played. Not that it's bad (although, I just can't get the feel of it), but Jesus is it a rough, hacked together game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Control-wise, RE6 is superior. The brawling system is really, really fun. But the actual campaign is kinda poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

catlord posted:

How the Hell does 6 have more refined gameplay than 5? RE6 is possibly one of the clunkiest games I've played. Not that it's bad (although, I just can't get the feel of it), but Jesus is it a rough, hacked together game.

RE6's basic engine is extremely smooth and playable. You can see this in Mercenaries. The campaign design is clunky but the core mechanics are extremely solid.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I really did not like the new inventory system in RE6. Item management in RE5 was perfectly fine; if you had a full inventory that usually meant you weren't dying enough to need more ammo and herbs. Even with both vests and three guns you had enough room for a Spray and three types of ammo.

After getting used to that, being forced to learn a completely new inventory (and removing the ability to pause the game) was very aggravating.

Excels fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

catlord posted:

It's more that the UI is clunky and a lot of the really cool moves you can do, aren't very obvious because the game doesn't do a very good job of explaining them. The inventory system I still don't really get, though I do appreciate that there is now a quick heal button. But the controls themselves are fine and are the best Resident Evil ever has been, to the point I've seen people recommend RE 6 just for the Mercenaries mode with these controls.