Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

...! posted:

Ugh, Rachel is becoming more and more insufferable each episode. She was always a bit stuck-up, but I don't remember her ever being such a superbitch.

This is a lot closer to original Rachel, really. Insufferable with an ego bigger than her nose. Except now one hundred fold thanks to Funny Girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Except I had to physically restrain myself from leaping out of the chair and applauding when she told off Whoopi and quit NYADA. Screw NYADA, she made a good call there. Raze dat poo poo and salt the earth.

Oh and I wanted to spoon this episode.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I can't imagine Rachel not trying to go back on this decision at some point. Something devastating is in her near future.

This episode was pretty great. Kurt's dad is The Best Dude.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

foolish_fool posted:

I can't imagine Rachel not trying to go back on this decision at some point. Something devastating is in her near future.

Yeah, I bet this will blow up in her face. She'll lose Funny Girl, or it will be a flop or something.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

So how much will I hate myself if I come back now after abandoning this show mid season 3? I'm kind of curious about the NY setting, and I do still kind of have a crush on Sam.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I would not be surprised if Funny Girl flops and Rachel is left to deal with her mistakes.

That said -- there was no need to have a Very Special Episode with Kurt getting bashed. This episode had some weird juxtapositions. I was really put off by the bashing (done so many times in other shows that it almost seems cliche at this point) and then there was the will they or won't they will Sam and Mercedes.

Maybe next week's episode will be better? Last week's episode was really good! I like that we're now sometime in January/Feb of 2014! YAY time jump.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
So I skim this thread from time to time, having not seen an episode since The Quarterback. I see that New Directions lost, Kurt gets bashed, Brittney is smart, and Rachel quits NYADAA. Or something.

Can anyone give me a better "And that's what you missed, on GLEE!" recap? It's a morbid curiosity.

Any songs I should listen to that were exceptionally good/bad?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Skychrono posted:

So I skim this thread from time to time, having not seen an episode since The Quarterback. I see that New Directions lost, Kurt gets bashed, Brittney is smart, and Rachel quits NYADAA. Or something.

Can anyone give me a better "And that's what you missed, on GLEE!" recap? It's a morbid curiosity.

Any songs I should listen to that were exceptionally good/bad?

Through the 100-episode 2-parter at least:

• Kurt formed a band with Rachel, Santana, Adam Lambert, and Demi Lovato but that's probably done now that Santana's gone, Rachel's super-busy, and Adam/Demi's guest stints are over?
  • Santana got the understudy role to Rachel and then they fought about it a bunch until Santana gave it up to go globetrot with Brittany.
  • New Directions lost at Nationals and Sue made good on her promise to shut down the club for good. (Lima half of the show is now effectively done, though some characters from it might pop up in NYC on occasion.)
  • Blaine, Sam, Tina, and Artie graduated. Brittany also graduated.
  • Tina went to Brown and is now off the show entirely save for maybe a guest stint here or there.
  • Blaine, Sam, Artie, and Mercedes moved to NYC.
  • Quinn is still a trainwreck.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

xeria posted:

Nice to see some things never change.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

xeria posted:

• Kurt formed a band with Rachel, Santana, Adam Lambert, and Demi Lovato but that's probably done now that Santana's gone, Rachel's super-busy, and Adam/Demi's guest stints are over?
  • Santana got the understudy role to Rachel and then they fought about it a bunch until Santana gave it up to go globetrot with Brittany.
  • New Directions lost at Nationals and Sue made good on her promise to shut down the club for good. (Lima half of the show is now effectively done, though some characters from it might pop up in NYC on occasion.)
  • Blaine, Sam, Tina, and Artie graduated. Brittany also graduated.
  • Tina went to Brown and is now off the show entirely save for maybe a guest stint here or there.
  • Blaine, Sam, Artie, and Mercedes moved to NYC.

None of that sounds fun. Like.. a lot of down notes, no upswing?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Because the cosmos are evidently buttscrewing themselves from the unknowable despair of people becoming interested in Glee again, songs for next week went up literally a few hours after this week's episode aired. :stare: I guess we're now at First Listen Wheneverthefuck.

Let the 80s magic of this week's songs fill your veins with power.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Skychrono posted:

The 100-episode 2parter very much plays like a series finale -- a lot of reunions, re-performances of past covered songs, and Schuester turning off the lights to the choir room for good. It's probably worth watching if you kept up with the show at all but aren't invested in continuing, because you can just treat it like a finale.

I haven't watched it since but multiple people here and elsewhere have said the move to NYC fulltime seems to have improved the show as a whole. If you have any interest in the continued adventures of Rachel, Sam, Kurt, Blaine, Artie, and Mercedes (and supposedly Santana again at some point) then the last couple weeks would probably be worth a look as well.

If none of those characters interest you, then yeah -- watch episodes 100/101 and call it a day.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xeria posted:

I haven't watched it since but multiple people here and elsewhere have said the move to NYC fulltime seems to have improved the show as a whole.

The last 2 episodes have seriously been the most boring eps I've ever seen of this show.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Skychrono posted:

Yeah the handful of episodes immediately preceding the New York shift were just one big series of...eh, "bittersweet" downers, and doubly so for the presence of Gwyneth Paltrow and Kristen Chenoweth.

But the season so far has actually been far more irreverent and comical than it hasn't (he says, right in the wake of the gaybashing plot). I mean, you've also missed the episode where Blaine hallucinated puppets for an hour and Sam tried to become Lady Gaga to impress a cast member of Spring Awakening. The only real legitimate "heavy" plots up until last week's episode was the thing with Finn.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
They beat up the wrong person :( I would happily watch an episode of Rachel being beaten with sticks if that didn't mean there would be 10 more episodes all about her brave suffering. Can't wait for Funny Girl to go down in flames, there's been too much foreshadowing.

The Sam/Mercedes thing is bizarre too. No matter how many times he says "OUR CHEMISTRY IS RIDICULOUS," it doesn't make up for their complete lack of chemistry.

And a 18(?)-year-old singing "I'm Still Here" . . . Glee.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

If there are still any straight men in this thread, Naya Rivera is single again.

edit: and lol at people thinking Funny Girl will be a flop. Foreshadowing? The first NY ep started with Rachel getting a chauffeur because the preview tour/performances were such a success. They might abandon it by the end of the season because that would give more options for Rachel's character, but I think she and the play will be a hit.

the truth fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 10, 2014

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the truth posted:

edit: and lol at people thinking Funny Girl will be a flop. Foreshadowing? The first NY ep started with Rachel getting a chauffeur because the preview tour/performances were such a success. They might abandon it by the end of the season because that would give more options for Rachel's character, but I think she and the play will be a hit.

Good point. I find myself thinking more that she could very well just screw it up for herself, by being a crazy-rear end entitled diva or skirting responsibilities. Really, I just want to see her fail in some way. This show is always stronger when it deals with the idea of dreams more often than not working out.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

esperterra posted:

Really, I just want to see her fail in some way. This show is always stronger when it deals with the idea of dreams more often than not working out.

Don't think that last sentence is what you meant to say, because her success is an example of dreams working out more often than not.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I can't believe I've paid this much attention to Glee, but iirc she doesn't get the car because she's so great, but because he doesn't want anything to distract her. He also mentions that they've restaged the entire show (which is huge) and they've been doing a lot of out-of-town tryouts (but still need a lot of work before opening in the city -- not good).

I also just hate Rachel and really want to see her fail, obviously.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Well they need out of town tryouts because Rachel and Santana are literally the only people in New York who can sing!!!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Not auditions, it means trying out the whole show outside the city. It used to be a good way to find and fix problems, but you can't really do it anymore because the economics are different and also the internet exists. If they did it with Funny Girl anyway, and in multiple cities, something is definitely up with the show. (Or they were just spinning bullshit to explain why it hasn't opened yet despite the time jump.)

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Future episode Rachel spoilers:

The episode in two weeks looks like it has her show finally opening.

And the week after that, supposedly it's such a huge success that suddenly everyone wants Rachel to do everything, including Hollywood, so now she has to decide what kind of 'star' path she wants to pursue.

So...yeah, though there are hints that she possibly fucks it all up somehow! Maybe!

Also, S5 got shortened to 20 episodes, so there are five more left. And Fox is considering tacking the two episodes they shaved off of this season (due to the delayed start) onto next season.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the truth posted:

Don't think that last sentence is what you meant to say, because her success is an example of dreams working out more often than not.

Yeah, tired and posting from a phone isn't the best idea. Of course I meant when dreams don't work out, and not when they do.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

xeria posted:

Also, S5 got shortened to 20 episodes, so there are five more left. And Fox is considering tacking the two episodes they shaved off of this season (due to the delayed start) onto next season.

I'll be surprised if S6 is a full season.

And those spoilers are dumb. Good luck coming up with excuses for passing your NYADA tests when you're in LA! I just figured Funny Girl wouldn't last that long because they have almost exhausted the songs. I expect a DROMP reprisal for the opening night, but who knows what they'll do beyond that.

Before X-Factor was canceled, Lea Michele said she was down with taking Demi Lovato's seat next season. I think she is ready to move on.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

"NYADA tests"? You didn't watch this last episode, did you?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

the truth posted:

edit: and lol at people thinking Funny Girl will be a flop. Foreshadowing? The first NY ep started with Rachel getting a chauffeur because the preview tour/performances were such a success.

When has this ever stopped Glee?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

They made a point of having Kurt say that she still has a chance to go back or something.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
They should make Burt move to NYC, too, and change the name to Burt and People from Glee.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Coconut Indian posted:

They should make Burt move to NYC, too, and change the name to Burt and People from Glee.

Glee would be approximately 1000% better if Burt was in every episode. It would still be a bad show but Mike O'Malley kills it every time he's on.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Have they done Fame yet? If not how has that not been a performance yet--are they saving that for the last song?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ryan Murphy gives the most in-depth interview anyone has given about the show in a while. Includes some vague and not-so-vague spoilers about the future direction of Glee.

Season 6 will not be New York-centric.
But it also doesn't sound like we're returning to high school either, other than very sporadically.
It sounds to me like he wants to focus on the originals. As in, the original originals. Despair for Quinn some more, I guess?

(And as usual, take everything he says with salty grains, plans may change, blahdablah etc.)

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
This show really never recovered after the loss of Cory Monteith, sadly, and it's really obvious that the (already spotty by then) writing has completely floundered since. Like the writers are still in shock mode. It was once one of my favorite shows on television and I just can't get into it anymore because now watching just makes me depressed.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Not happy about one of the characters he mentioned having a big part in the last scene.

It doesn't sound like the show has another 22 episodes left, to be honest. I think a focused, carefully thought out mini-season of 12 or so episodes (like the first part of S1) would be best. Heck, even four episodes would probably be enough to accomplish what they're aiming for.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
They omitted Artie's best ex from the preview. I'm not liking our chances of a Sugar cameo.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Captain Mog posted:

This show really never recovered after over half the cast graduated

This is more accurate.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
As much as I would love to see what special brand of insanity they could unleash on Quinn next (plane crash! ripped from the headlines!), god, I hope she stays away for good. 100/101 should just be the series finale for "all characters who aren't of crucial importance to the show's ongoing storylines" (eg. Quinn, Mike, Tina).

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

KURT DRINK THE drat SERENDIPITY'S HOT CHOCOLATE IT IS DELICIOUS

Feeder Blaine is awesome.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I missed the first part. What happened? Why is Artie freaking out about diseases?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Jesus, Mercedes just suck his dick like all the good christian gals do if it's such a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

SpazmasterX posted:

Jesus, Mercedes just suck his dick like all the good christian gals do if it's such a big deal.

Weeeelllll.

• Locked thread